/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Islamic Demo Turns Nasty In Nottingham

Blackpool
12-05-2009, 07:57 PM
Anti-Islamic Demo Turns Nasty In Nottingham

5:44pm UK, Saturday December 05, 2009

Alison Chung, Sky News Online
Clashes erupted between police and hundreds of members of the English Defence League during a planned protest in Nottingham.

Hundreds of officers surrounded around 500 EDL supporters in the city centre.

Police on horseback used batons and those on the ground used dogs to contain the violence.

A Nottinghamshire police spokesman told Sky News tempers flared this afternoon when some protesters tried to move from the site of their protest.

"Prior to the protest we engaged with the organisers to agree on where they would meet, but there were a few who were determined to go where we didn't want them to go, although they eventually complied," he said.

"We feel we had the proper planning in place and as far as we're concerned it went very successfully."

Officers arrested four people, including one who was taken to hospital after being bitten by a police dog.

During the protest, some EDL supporters shouted: "We want our country back", and waved placards which read: "Protect Women, No To Sharia" and "No Surrender".

The EDL claims it is not a racist organisation and has no links to the BNP and it is making a stand against the threat of Islamic extremism.

A spokesman said they had planned the demo for today as the Mercian Regiment were holding a homecoming parade in Nottingham following a recent tour of duty in Afghanistan.

The Unite Against Fascism group had also organised a counter demonstration in response to the protest.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-..._In_Nottingham

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Supreme
12-05-2009, 11:38 PM
It is a sorry sight when people are angry over such a small minority group who pose an incredibly small realistic threat to them and their way of life.

aadil77
12-05-2009, 11:45 PM
At the nottingham uni mosque we were told to stay away from the city centre, I don't know if muslims did, there must have been some youths around tho

ardianto
12-06-2009, 04:29 AM
No wonder is some of Nottingham residents hate Muslims.

Remember when the moor Azeem helped Robin hood to defeated sheriff of Nottingham in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves ?.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Uthman
12-06-2009, 09:04 AM
11 arrests at anti-Islam protest in England

Eleven men were arrested and a policewoman was taken to hospital Saturday after violence broke out at a far-right group's demonstration against Islamic extremism in central England, police said.

The 29-year-old policewoman hurt her arm while policing a cordon at the protest by the English Defence League in the city of Nottingham, but no one else was seriously hurt in the skirmishes, Nottinghamshire police said.

About 500 members of the EDL, a marginal group which has staged a number of demonstrations against radical Islam in recent months, sang the English national anthem and football songs as they gathered in the city.

Many of them had their faces covered with scarves and hooded tops as they chanted: "We want our country back" and held aloft placards saying "Protect Women, No to Sharia (law)" and "No Surrender".

A counter-demonstration by Unite Against Fascism, who claim the EDL are a racist organisation, took place nearby, despite police requests that they move.

Concerns about immigration and Islamic extremism in Britain were highlighted by the success of the anti-immigration British National Party (BNP) in European elections this year, where they secured their first two MEPs.

Source

Supreme
12-06-2009, 01:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto

Remember when the moor Azeem helped Robin hood to defeated sheriff of Nottingham in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves ?.
I might be wrong, but...

I honestly think that has absoloutely nothing to do with these protests...

ardianto
12-06-2009, 01:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supreme
I might be wrong, but...

I honestly think that has absoloutely nothing to do with these protests...
That was kidding, bro.

Amadeus85
12-06-2009, 03:01 PM
It's better to do this in peaceful way...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSxvi...eature=related

Fishman
12-06-2009, 03:13 PM
I was in the city centre on saturday, but I wasn't in the square where the demostration was taking place. There were lots of police around, and the trams and buses were heavily disrupted.

GuestFellow
12-06-2009, 03:23 PM
Can't we all just get along? :/

The_Prince
12-06-2009, 03:34 PM
lol the EDL were saying protect women, yet they injure a female police officer.

anyway, these guys are really boring now, i totally forgot about this protest until i heard a brief news report on the radio!

Blackpool
12-06-2009, 05:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amadeus85
It's better to do this in peaceful way...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSxvi...eature=related
That video has music being played so I doubt they'll watch that. The difference in that protest to the EDLs is that nobody is there to challenge those demonstrators.

Muezzin
12-07-2009, 03:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto

Oh to be Morgan Freeman...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.