/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Girl Effect

Rabi'ya
12-07-2009, 10:52 AM
:sl:

Has anyone heard of this? Is it legit or not? I can't see any contact details(other than FB) and nothing to say they are a registered charity.

www.girleffect.org

Also, what do you all think of it?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Supreme
12-07-2009, 11:17 AM
I think it's a brilliant idea. The site makes it sound easy, but it's a sound idea.

Fטлку
12-07-2009, 11:25 AM
:thumbs_up
That video was awesome! Sounds like a great idea to me :D

Alpha Dude
12-07-2009, 11:31 AM
Sounds feministic to me.

Yeah, of course, the way they've described their facts it sure does sound good, but at the back of my mind, I can't help but think it's a "liberating the poor poor women" kind of thing.

My opinion: find a charity that doesn't discriminate.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Rabi'ya
12-07-2009, 11:44 AM

brother Alpha, although I see what you are saying, it is true that in many countries boys are given many more privilidges than girls. Boys get education, they get money, they get business, and in fact girls need these opportunities.

My main question was has anyone heard of it, and do we know if its a proper charity?

Fטлку
12-07-2009, 11:48 AM
Girl Effect
All I found was this ^ :hmm:
And..umm..Africa Youth Summit 2009: Africa & the Girl Effect

cat eyes
12-07-2009, 07:12 PM
:sl:i havent heard of it sis but you are 100percent right to be weary. there is alot of con women and men out there. ud be surprised of what they can do

Muezzin
12-07-2009, 10:22 PM
Where is this charity based?

I don't see any evidence of its registration, for instance. No contact details.

It's a good idea for a charity (I don't buy this 'it's discriminatory' argument; all charities discriminate in some way), but I'm not sure of this particular website's legitimacy.

Alpha Dude
12-07-2009, 10:47 PM
My contention was that it comes across as one of them agencies with a feminsitic agenda, not that it discriminates as such.

I do agree, on the surface of it, the idea is good and many people on the ground undoubtedly will benefit. However, I'd hate for them to indoctrinate young girls into becoming feminised to the extent they lose their Islamic identity (assuming they cover muslim areas), where for example they feel a need to discard and burn their hijabs etc. I don't know whether this happens and I am just speculating, but that's the gut feeling I have.

Apparently Nike, inc. make financial and technical contributions to this organisation too. Funny, with their record of exploitation and abuse. :hiding:

Muezzin
12-07-2009, 10:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
My contention was that it comes across as one of them agencies with a feminsitic agenda, not that it discriminates as such.
Okay.

I do agree, on the surface of it, the idea is good and many people on the ground undoubtedly will benefit. However, I'd hate for them to indoctrinate young girls into becoming feminised to the extent they lose their Islamic identity (assuming they cover muslim areas), where for example they feel a need to discard and burn their hijabs etc. I don't know whether this happens and I am just speculating, but that's the gut feeling I have.
I see.

Apparently Nike, inc. make financial and technical contributions to this organisation too. Funny, with their record of exploitation and abuse. :hiding:
Heh. Maybe they're trying to balance things out. Or 'atone'. Or just think this is dang good PR.

ardianto
12-08-2009, 01:50 AM
Is it related to Bangladeshi Muhammad Yunus ?.

I see a similarity in concept of developing people.

sister herb
12-08-2009, 06:08 AM

I haven't seen this site before but many times I have heard similar ideas and of my mind they haven't nothing to do with western-style feminism. Simple fact is; if you support education of women, it will helps for economy of they later family and helps them to educate they own children better. Better economy means less poverty, less ignorance, better health care of kids, less diseases, longer and happily life for all the family etc.

Many world wide organizations have similar kind of development programs like UN/UNIFEM or Islamic Relief.

Rabi'ya
12-08-2009, 09:09 AM

thanks for the advise guys. I don't think I'll be giving although it is an amazing concept.

Also, I think I remember seeing on the website that although they are supported by Nike. Nike wont answer any queries regarding it. suspicious :?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.