/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Would you accept a Christmas card from someone?

Blackpool
12-08-2009, 01:07 AM
There are some muslims that are accepting Christmas cards from people and some that are sending some out in return in my workplace which I know isn't the right form of Islam from what I understand...

But would you accept a Christmas card from a friend or colleague? If not, how would you refuse it?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Argamemnon
12-08-2009, 01:18 AM
I receive a few Christmas cards every year and send those (few) people cards back. It is rather strange though that people send Christmas cards to Muslims. It doesn't make sense. But then, secular people just don't know how important religion is to people.

dragonofzenshu
12-08-2009, 01:27 AM
If I became Muslim, I would just take it, smile and then give it to someone else (named scratched out of course ;D) for christmas.

I'm Japanese but I do know that sending back a card with warm welcoming in it is considered quite an insult in western society.

Woodrow
12-08-2009, 01:30 AM
On occasion I get cards from people that do not understand that Muslims do not celebrate Christmas. I keep the cards and see them as an opportunity to discuss Islam with them the next time I see them. I usually thank them for their desire to wish me well and hand them the card back with words to the effect that they are more important to me than a card, and then use that as an opportunity to explain to them why I do not celebrate Christmas and see the cards as contrary to what I believe.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ardianto
12-08-2009, 01:30 AM
Salam, Blackpool.

As a Muslim I never received Christmas card from my Christian relatives or friends because they know I am Muslim. However, if I receive a Christmas card from someone who doesn't know I am a Muslim, I will not send it back, but when I get a chance to meet this someone, I will say thank you very much and introduce myself as a Muslim. In good manner and friendly talking, of course.

My advice, if you want to send greeting cards to Muslims in your place, it's better if you send them a Happy New Year card. Usually Muslim considers this card as a 'neutral' card.

GuestFellow
12-08-2009, 01:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Blackpool

But would you accept a Christmas card from a friend or colleague? If not, how would you refuse it?
Yeah I would accept it. No need to make a big deal out of it. Just a card.

Argamemnon
12-08-2009, 05:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by dragonofzenshu
I'm Japanese but I do know that sending back a card with warm welcoming in it is considered quite an insult in western society.
I send them cards, but not the ones they sent me of course!

Ummu Sufyaan
12-08-2009, 07:06 AM
i probably would accept it, but only so that i dont offend that person. i wouldn't like that they gave it to me, but i would thank them for their kindness and would take it none the less.

Cabdullahi
12-08-2009, 10:24 AM
no cheap cards for me! however i would accept gifts without a thought process

Khaldun
12-08-2009, 10:51 AM
:sl:

I honestly see these occasions as golden oppertunities, I would take the card only to pass on a card of my own something that would make them think and not something that they would throw in the bin as soon as they left.

Danah
12-08-2009, 11:38 AM
Alhumdulilah I don't recieve anything like that, but if I do and recieve any I will accept it but get that as a chance to tell them why I will refuse it next time if they did the same thing. I will try to make it a peacful chat about Islam to make them aware of our ruling regard the Christmas. And I won't give any cards back.

aamirsaab
12-08-2009, 12:31 PM
:sl:
I accept all forms of card, christmas, wedding, eid and maestro. I also accept cash.

Seriously speaking: Yes I would accept a christmas card. Just because I don't celebrate the event, doesn't mean I have to be a jerk about it. Besides, it's the (very nice) thought that counts.

CuteStuff
12-08-2009, 12:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Argamemnon
I send them cards, but not the ones they sent me of course!
yes we recieve cards and send them too. Its just a card - they wish us Eid Mubarak too.

Woodrow
12-08-2009, 01:15 PM
Most Christmas cards of today have no religious significance. So I guess the question should be would you accept a card wishing you well anytime of the year.

Supreme
12-08-2009, 07:05 PM
It's funny, almost with blind ignorance of his faith did I send my Hindu friend a Christmas card last year- much to my surprise, he actually celebrates Christmas! Obviously not for purely religious reasons (albeit the birth stories of Jesus and Krishna are strikingly similar), but more for presents, lights and family reasons. And Christmas TV.

bewildred
12-08-2009, 07:47 PM
I've explained millions of times that Muslims don't celebrate Xmas and yet, every year, I receive dozens of Xmas cards from my penpals. Every year, it makes me smile. I thank them and send them Islamic cards. They never get the hint. Maybe because they're all blondes.....lol

Supreme
12-08-2009, 08:29 PM
But from the other perspective, how would a non-Muslim react if a Muslim gave them an Eid card? Would you feel awkward/uncomfortable or thankful?
I really wouldn't care. I'd feel honoured to recieve such a card. Sending cards is intended to be a friendly gesture, so I would readily and happily a card celebrating any celebration, be it Christmas, Easter, Hannukah, Eid, Diwali or Lent.

Blackpool
12-09-2009, 12:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad
Greetings,

It's difficult to refuse something when someone is trying to be nice, but I would feel uncomfortable if someone gave me a Christmas card. As Woodrow said, it is contrary to what we believe. But I don't understand why people would go as far as sending them - isn't that cooperating in non-Muslim celebrations?

But from the other perspective, how would a non-Muslim react if a Muslim gave them an Eid card? Would you feel awkward/uncomfortable or thankful?
I would personally feel thankful for receiving a card and I wouldn't even throw it away despite the difference in beliefs.

Would you accept a free Christmas dinner on the last day of work as is happening where I work? It is offered to everyone of every religion, colour and nationality.

cat eyes
12-09-2009, 12:27 AM
There are some muslims that are accepting Christmas cards from people and some that are sending some out in return in my workplace which I know isn't the right form of Islam from what I understand...

:sl:id refuse it and say thanks very much your very kind but i cannot accept it.:wa:

Italianguy
12-09-2009, 01:32 AM
You know, i never really thought of that. I send multiple Christ-mass cards to all my freinds and family, even my Muslim freinds. Most of them just thank me for the gesture.

I, and my family celebrate Christmas a little bit different. We do not throw parties or exchange gifts (well sometimes). We focus only on the true meaning of Christmas wich is the birth of Christ. For most Christmas is nothing more than presents and parties, and some i speek with just believe in Santa Claus or Saint Nicholas. I will not let my family focus or believe in a fat guy who sqeezes his body through a chimmeny giving gifts. My Nonna (Grandmother) used to say "That is nothing short of idol worship" She only focused on the birth of Christ.

Here is what my family does

1.)Christmas eve, service at church- 3 Hours
2.)Christmas day, Service at church- 5 hours
3.)Christmas night, Personal and family prayer-approx 6 hours

basicly all prayer, my mother will decorate some but i put up no tree. I wake my son up and pray with him, read the Bible about Christs birth and them we go to the food drive to feed the poor and needy. I give my son 4 gifts and he has to pick 1 gift to give a child that does not get the chance to have one. Last year he gave all of his to a Muslim family i am freinds with that had fallen on rough financial times and they just happen to have 4 boys.

I think we as Christians have forgotten what Christmas means. We should not focus on the best gifts idol worship or besting each other with monitary items.

God bless, and for the Christmas card thing...just accept them no one is out to insult you by this, i actually just bought Happy new Year cards this year for my Muslim friends.

Italianguy
12-09-2009, 01:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad
Greetings,

It's difficult to refuse something when someone is trying to be nice, but I would feel uncomfortable if someone gave me a Christmas card. As Woodrow said, it is contrary to what we believe. But I don't understand why people would go as far as sending them - isn't that cooperating in non-Muslim celebrations?

I would accept it wholeheartedly, I would take no insult. I get them from my Muslim friends all the time(EID). I know they have the best intensions when they send them to me.:D
or at least thats what they say.

God bless

Italianguy
12-09-2009, 01:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Italianguy
You know, i never really thought of that. I send multiple Christ-mass cards to all my freinds and family, even my Muslim freinds. Most of them just thank me for the gesture.

I, and my family celebrate Christmas a little bit different. We do not throw parties or exchange gifts (well sometimes). We focus only on the true meaning of Christmas wich is the birth of Christ. For most Christmas is nothing more than presents and parties, and some i speek with just believe in Santa Claus or Saint Nicholas. I will not let my family focus or believe in a fat guy who sqeezes his body through a chimmeny giving gifts. My Nonna (Grandmother) used to say "That is nothing short of idol worship" She only focused on the birth of Christ.

Here is what my family does

1.)Christmas eve, service at church- 3 Hours
2.)Christmas day, Service at church- 5 hours
3.)Christmas night, Personal and family prayer-approx 6 hours

basicly all prayer, my mother will decorate some but i put up no tree. I wake my son up and pray with him, read the Bible about Christs birth and them we go to the food drive to feed the poor and needy. I give my son 4 gifts and he has to pick 1 gift to give a child that does not get the chance to have one. Last year he gave all of his to a Muslim family i am freinds with that had fallen on rough financial times and they just happen to have 4 boys.

I think we as Christians have forgotten what Christmas means. We should not focus on the best gifts idol worship or besting each other with monitary items.

God bless, and for the Christmas card thing...just accept them no one is out to insult you by this, i actually just bought Happy new Year cards this year for my Muslim friends.

Sorry i got a little of topic there. I mean no insult to any Muslim. I know you do not celebrate Christmas.

God bless

Supreme
12-09-2009, 04:41 PM
think we as Christians have forgotten what Christmas means. We should not focus on the best gifts idol worship or besting each other with monitary items.
Not really. I usually go to the Christmas service on Christmas Day (actually, church attendance goes far higher than usual at Christmas), and this year God willing, I'll attend a Midnight Mass at my local Anglican Church (my usual church doesn't offer it). For me, it's a mixture of both Christian and secular themes.

Esther462
12-09-2009, 04:54 PM
I would only accept Christmas cards from my family and I will only give Christmas cards to my family. They are Christans and I'm the only muslim in my family so I don't won't to be left out of the family. I give cards saying Happy Holidays, (which I make myself) rather saying Happy Christmas and they are happy with that.

HandOnHeart
12-09-2009, 05:24 PM
I accepted a Christmas Card today, but she did not know i was muslim. I threw it in the bin, thats what i did with them before I converted to. Really, they are only cards and i don't think they have any significance.

Asimbo
12-09-2009, 06:59 PM
Asalaamualakum,

I can't help but offer my opinion here. Why does it have to be so bad that someone Christian, or a person simply giving a Christmas card without any religeous meaning behind it, that it needs to be explained to them that we are Muslim and they shouldn't give us a card ever again. That is insane and it is not what we are taught as Muslim's, to accept others for they're own beliefs and hope they accept us for our beliefs. If I sent someone a Eid Mubarak card, do you think they would tell me to never do it again, just cause it's from my religeon? It wouldn't happen. We are too hung up on what is right in Islam and what is really going on in this world. Let's stop imposing and enjoy each other for who we all are and respect each others beliefs. Say thank you for the thoughtful card and don't forget to give them a card and a gift on Eid next year!

I come from a background where I was not religeous but I believed in God, and Christmas was a time to enjoy decorating the house, making good food and pastries, and giving a gift to say thank you for being there all year, and most of all, time to spend together as a family and enjoy friendships, which I have been taught that in Islam is the very same importance, except for decorating and giving gifts(yet people in my Muslim family feel that giving gifts on Dec 26th is Halal)but my values are still directed at what is right about Dec 25th, family and being together. What is most important to Allah subbhanna watallah, is that we do what is right and we take care of our families and pay our zakat and we respect one another. And don't forget to make salat 5 times a day!

Karina
12-09-2009, 07:37 PM
???

I would accept a card graciously from any worshiper of any religion..... and be grateful and touched that they had taken the time to think of me and share with me their celebration.

Why would I have reason to be offended, simply because they don't share my (non)faith?

I don't understand why you would not wish to be in someones kind thoughts too?

My non-Muslim friend went round to her Muslim friend's house the other week to share in their celebration of Eid - is this wrong too? No sharing of faith, just sharing of food, joy and togetherness.

And little things like that make the world a much nicer place.

*sigh* I'm baffled.
:hmm:

cat eyes
12-09-2009, 08:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Asimbo
Asalaamualakum,

I can't help but offer my opinion here. Why does it have to be so bad that someone Christian, or a person simply giving a Christmas card without any religeous meaning behind it, that it needs to be explained to them that we are Muslim and they shouldn't give us a card ever again. That is insane and it is not what we are taught as Muslim's, to accept others for they're own beliefs and hope they accept us for our beliefs. If I sent someone a Eid Mubarak card, do you think they would tell me to never do it again, just cause it's from my religeon? It wouldn't happen. We are too hung up on what is right in Islam and what is really going on in this world. Let's stop imposing and enjoy each other for who we all are and respect each others beliefs. Say thank you for the thoughtful card and don't forget to give them a card and a gift on Eid next year!

I come from a background where I was not religeous but I believed in God, and Christmas was a time to enjoy decorating the house, making good food and pastries, and giving a gift to say thank you for being there all year, and most of all, time to spend together as a family and enjoy friendships, which I have been taught that in Islam is the very same importance, except for decorating and giving gifts(yet people in my Muslim family feel that giving gifts on Dec 26th is Halal)but my values are still directed at what is right about Dec 25th, family and being together. What is most important to Allah subbhanna watallah, is that we do what is right and we take care of our families and pay our zakat and we respect one another. And don't forget to make salat 5 times a day!
as i completely understand your post but i think its a bit to harsh on the muslims that actually really and truly fear Allah that they don't want to accept it until you will reach that level of imaan and taqwa inshaAllah you will be able to understand as me and my friends always talk about this and believe me its really not about showing off or wanting to be ignorant with our non muslims but it is purely the fear of Allah swt that they reject such stuff as its related to the fact that they believe jesus pbuh who they claim is a god and was born on that day so inshaAllah one day you will understand that what i am trying to actually say that they fear Allah so much that even anything remotely related to there beliefs they reject it so we should not judge them brother and pray we should be on the same level as them because it is better for us at the end of the day :wa:

CosmicPathos
12-09-2009, 09:04 PM
I would not be happy receiving a "Christmas" card from a person who knows that I am not a pagan. To me, giving me a xmas card to me would highlight that the person giving it to me does not really care about what I think is pure and what I think is impure. Rather than take it as a "friendly gesture" I would take it to be a mean and a rude gesture by someone who is insensitive. Of course if the Christian did not know that I am a Muslim, ill pardon him the first time.

Supreme
12-09-2009, 09:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Asimbo
Asalaamualakum,

I must admit, this is by far the best post on this thread.

Argamemnon
12-09-2009, 10:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Wa7abiScientist
I would not be happy receiving a "Christmas" card from a person who knows that I am not a pagan. To me, giving me a xmas card to me would highlight that the person giving it to me does not really care about what I think is pure and what I think is impure. Rather than take it as a "friendly gesture" I would take it to be a mean and a rude gesture by someone who is insensitive. Of course if the Christian did not know that I am a Muslim, ill pardon him the first time.
That's not the right attitude because most non-Muslims are ignorant about Islam.

CosmicPathos
12-09-2009, 10:46 PM
That's not the right attitude because most non-Muslims are ignorant about Islam.
That is the right attitude. Why is not it a right attitude? Am I insulting the Christian? I have no obligation to accept his/her gift in the form of something that promotes paganism. Even if the intention of the card-giver is not to tell me to worship pagan gods, the fact is that Christmas is a pagan holiday. You cannot take away the real meaning of the event by arguing that the person's intention was nto that.

I DO NOT want to give an eid card to a Christian. I would not feel comfortable celebrating my religious event with a non-Muslim. In the same way, I would expect a non-Muslim to feel uncomfortable while trying to celebrate his/her event with me, especially when the cultural norms would dictate that its "rude to not accept gifts."

Just cuz my attitude is different from yours, you call it inappropriate?

Muhammad
12-09-2009, 11:10 PM
Greetings,

Would you accept a free Christmas dinner on the last day of work as is happening where I work? It is offered to everyone of every religion, colour and nationality.
No, I wouldn't go because this would be like participating in Christmas celebrations and as a Muslim, I am forbidden to do so.

We as Muslims should pass this festival by with dignity, refraining from the office 'parties', Christmas celebrations, the exchange of gifts, and even exchanging Christmas greetings. There are a number of reasons for this: firstly, to become involved in a festival is to sanction the beliefs behind such a festival and as Muslims we are forbidden to sanction anything other than Islam. Just as we as Muslims distance ourselves from celebrations such as Diwali (Hinduism) and Hanukkah (Judaism), we must also do so with Christmas. By celebrating Christmas, not only do we sanction pagan and Christian practices, but we imply that the festival is pleasing to us and that Islam is not complete as it missed out on the festival of Christmas...

Although such things might seem harmless to some Muslims, it is important they refer this back to what the scholars of Islam have said and understand the issue as it should be understood - in the light of the guidance in the Qur'an and Sunnah.

Peace.

Asimbo
12-10-2009, 12:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
as i completely understand your post but i think its a bit to harsh on the muslims that actually really and truly fear Allah that they don't want to accept it until you will reach that level of imaan and taqwa inshaAllah you will be able to understand as me and my friends always talk about this and believe me its really not about showing off or wanting to be ignorant with our non muslims but it is purely the fear of Allah swt that they reject such stuff as its related to the fact that they believe jesus pbuh who they claim is a god and was born on that day so inshaAllah one day you will understand that what i am trying to actually say that they fear Allah so much that even anything remotely related to there beliefs they reject it so we should not judge them brother and pray we should be on the same level as them because it is better for us at the end of the day :wa:
Please know I'm not trying to make any other brothers or sisters feel bad or angry but I do think we are allowed to have an opinion. I do respect them for they're opinion as well.

I do understand, and yes I am still learning to be a better Muslim, everyday, but if there is one thing I do know, it's that many things in our life are taken out of context. I understand the fear of Allah and I respect that, but I also don't believe that someone who only believes this, should impose and make another feel bad about accepting a card from a non-muslim. I'm sorry if this bothers a brother or sister, I don't mean to, but I think we all need to lighten up a little and just be proud of who we are and not lose sight of what we are here to do on earth, for Allah.

Grofica
12-10-2009, 12:14 AM
That is the right attitude. Why is not it a right attitude? Am I insulting the Christian? I have no obligation to accept his/her gift in the form of something that promotes paganism. Even if the intention of the card-giver is not to tell me to worship pagan gods, the fact is that Christmas is a pagan holiday. You cannot take away the real meaning of the event by arguing that the person's intention was nto that.
i am not sure how you see christmas as a pagan holiday... the winter solstice is on the 21st (or sometimes 22nd) of december not the 25th.

I dont mind if i get a x-mas email from family friends whom ever has good intentions as long as they are equal with all holidays... (we get a lot of mass emails at work) the only part that bothers me is if people are going to send out happy anything they should send it out for every holiday... once i start getting Bajram emails and hanaka emails and kwanza emails then i will stop complianing... i think everyone has a right to say happy holiday i just think we should be equal...

i just hate feeling pushed and suffocated by the x-mas stuff. and dont get me wrong im not saying one is wrong or right im just saying if people dont want to send a holiday greeting for EVERY holiday then none should be sent... (to other then family)

Italianguy
12-10-2009, 02:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supreme
Not really. I usually go to the Christmas service on Christmas Day (actually, church attendance goes far higher than usual at Christmas), and this year God willing, I'll attend a Midnight Mass at my local Anglican Church (my usual church doesn't offer it). For me, it's a mixture of both Christian and secular themes.
Of course its far higher at christmas, Christians shouldn't wait for His birthday to come to church.
Wow thats a twist on Christmas, i mean the Anglican church. Sounds like a good way to worship.

Supreme
12-10-2009, 04:58 PM
Of course its far higher at christmas, Christians shouldn't wait for His birthday to come to church.
Going to church does not mean you are not a Christian.

Wow thats a twist on Christmas, i mean the Anglican church. Sounds like a good way to worship
I do hope that's not sarcasm.

Italianguy
12-10-2009, 05:19 PM

I DO NOT want to give an eid card to a Christian. I would not feel comfortable celebrating my religious event with a non-Muslim. In the same way, I would expect a non-Muslim to feel uncomfortable while trying to celebrate his/her event with me, especially when the cultural norms would dictate that its "rude to not accept gifts."

Just cuz my attitude is different from yours, you call it inappropriate?

This does not sound like the "brotherhood" in humanity i hear so much about from my Muslim friends. Sounds as if you have some hostility towards others? Why?I am at a crossroad right now and these kind of responses are the ones that steer me more in the direction i am in now.

God be with you. May Allah give you peace.

Italianguy
12-10-2009, 05:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supreme
Going to church does not mean you are not a Christian.

I do hope that's not sarcasm.
No sarcasm at all brother. I would never joke about this. I don't understand the statement of "Going to church does not mean you are not a Christian." Did you mean going to church doesn't make you a Christian? This I know, i notice some of whom just go through the motions; attending church, acting, and speaking of the word without knowing it first.

God bless you.:D

Supreme
12-10-2009, 05:28 PM
No sarcasm at all brother. I would never joke about this. I don't understand the statement of "Going to church does not mean you are not a Christian." Did you mean going to church doesn't make you a Christian? This I know, i notice some of whom just go through the motions; attending church, acting, and speaking of the word without knowing it first.

God bless you.:D
Oh yes, my mistake. I meant Not going to church...

God Bless you too...

Italianguy
12-10-2009, 05:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grofica
i am not sure how you see christmas as a pagan holiday... the winter solstice is on the 21st (or sometimes 22nd) of december not the 25th.

I dont mind if i get a x-mas email from family friends whom ever has good intentions as long as they are equal with all holidays... (we get a lot of mass emails at work) the only part that bothers me is if people are going to send out happy anything they should send it out for every holiday... once i start getting Bajram emails and hanaka emails and kwanza emails then i will stop complianing... i think everyone has a right to say happy holiday i just think we should be equal...

i just hate feeling pushed and suffocated by the x-mas stuff. and dont get me wrong im not saying one is wrong or right im just saying if people dont want to send a holiday greeting for EVERY holiday then none should be sent... (to other then family)
Good answer. No one should suffacate you with Christmas. If they know you are a Muslim i'm sure their just being nice. I send some e-mails to my Muslim friends and they just usaully bring up for comparitive religion discussions, it's great. In my company i employ a muslim, Mohammad. We usually spend hours after work discussing these things, but usually he mostly likes throwing water balloons at me.lol We have a blast at the office. I am one-up on him now and i know he and my other employees are planning a retaliation on me, they have been planning for weeks. All i have heard is that it involves "popcorn" and my Lexus!?

God be with you.

Italianguy
12-10-2009, 05:35 PM
This does not sound like the "brotherhood" in humanity i hear so much about from my Muslim friends. Sounds as if you have some hostility towards others? Why?I am at a crossroad right now and these kind of responses are the ones that steer me more in the direction i am in now.

God be with you. May Allah give you peace.
BTW, i get Eid e-mails and cards from a few of my Muslim friends. Whats wrong with that? They have good intentions.

MSalman
12-10-2009, 05:36 PM
http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/85108

Italianguy
12-10-2009, 05:38 PM
I'm a non-Muslim and i am not ignorant about Islam. I will agree there a a lot of people who watch to much tv and make assumptions. But they do that with christianity as well.

God be with you.:D

Italianguy
12-10-2009, 05:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamiclife
Why would any Muslim accept a Christmas card whose entire asl (principle,foundation) is shirk and pagan worship?

As far da'wah, you give them da'wah at the moment when the card is being given to you. You explain to them why you can't accept it, why you don't celebrate this pagan ritual and why pagan ritual are forbidden Islam. This is an opportunity for you to tell them about tawheed and not take card and wait for another time. Do you know you will get another time?
Now you have the right attitude. We should all take the chance to witness when we can. I would still take a card from you though.:D

Blessings.

MSalman
12-10-2009, 05:51 PM
^I have edited my post and I would appreciate if you do the same (remove my previous comments), thank you

PS: I will take a card from you since I know you are sincere unlike many other Christians

Italianguy
12-10-2009, 06:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamiclife
^I have edited my post and I would appreciate if you do the same (remove my previous comments), thank you

PS: I will take a card from you since I know you are sincere unlike many other Christians
Thank you Sir. I'm not sure how to delete an already posted reply? I will try though. Keep in mind brother i as a Christian know who i am sending my cards to, and most of the time I send a "Happy New Year" card to my Muslim friends. Sometimes a Christmas card gets sent to them.

God be with you always and forever!

sister herb
12-11-2009, 01:59 PM
Before my friends sended me christmas cards but because I never sended them any, they have stopped. So my problem aren´t cards but greetings.

If I can I will tell people whose greet me that xmas matter, that by my religion I haven´t xmas but greet them "nice YOUR holiday". Some of them ask sorry, some says nothing but always some wants to know more and then I am always ready to tell them why we muslims don´t celebrate that holiday and sometimes I can also tell more about islam.

:D

Somaiyah
12-11-2009, 02:28 PM
Salam,
If I would give eid present or eid card to my family (now I haven't had the opportunity yet though), then yes I would accept both Christmas present and Christmas card from my family. They are my family, they are believing Christians and for them Christmas means so much so I can't take it away from them, the happiness of giving something to me for Christmas and getting something from me too. So I will accept it if it's from my family. If it's from someone else outside my family I will say thank you but explain that I don't really celebrate Christmas but tell that I appreciate the concern anyway and wish a happy holiday.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.