/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Considering a Career... Input?

Donia
12-08-2009, 02:51 AM
Salaamu Alaikum.

Wasn't sure whether to put this in the Advice or General section. As you can see, Advice won. :statisfie

I'm debating about what career path to choose at the moment. One that I am considering is possibly a social worker insha'Allah. Any thoughts on that? Is anybody an actual social worker here or knows one?
Just trying to choose a career that won't be a negative in Islam... insha'Allah.

JazakAllah for any input.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Insaanah
12-08-2009, 09:25 AM
:sl: sister,

Social workers sometimes have to go into people's houses as part of their work.

Could there be a chance that you may sometimes have to go into a house with a lone male, or work with a lone male?

:sl:

Rabi'ya
12-08-2009, 09:33 AM

yup ill second that. social worker is not an amazing profession.

how about doing an english teaching course. that way you can choose to teach women only classes :) inshAllah you won't have any problems then

Cabdullahi
12-08-2009, 09:47 AM
From experience i would suggest custodial arts its quite easy you just need to get the hang of diluting the dettol , using clorox and mopping techniques

just a joke
but i would suggest primary school teacher it would be fantastic

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Mysterious Uk
12-08-2009, 12:43 PM
Assalaamu alaikum,
I would recommend volunteering in a social workers place for a week. Not all social workers have the same roles so you could see for yourself what sort of roles they have. Furthermore, if people posted stuff saying they enjoy/hate being a social work, doesnt really mean you will feel the same. Good luck in whatever you decide to do though.

Innocent Soul
12-08-2009, 12:46 PM
Even I think teaching is the job for a women.;D

cat eyes
12-08-2009, 04:45 PM
:sl:i wanted to be a social worker from an extremely long time now since i was in school i wanted to start studying now however i have changed my mind my aim in life now is to be a teacher inshaAllah teaching kids Qur'an i have spoken with my teacher and she said i should go for it Allah will do the rest.

tango92
12-08-2009, 05:22 PM
sister, the person best in the sight of Allah is they who learn the quran and teach it to others. if you know arabic then teaching arabic can be very valuable especially in western countries.

Donia
12-08-2009, 09:08 PM
Thank you for the replies..
I'm currently going to school to be a special education teacher insha'Allah. Social work has started appealing to me lately because honestly it really makes me sick how some children get abused and there's not enough "staff" to do anything about it... even to just look into the reports being made. Really sad to me.

Ummu Sufyaan
12-09-2009, 10:23 AM
Considering a Career... Input?
whatever you are good at and enjoy, that complies within the Islamic boundaries :thumbs_up...

noorseeker
12-09-2009, 04:23 PM
Choose a carrer where you can do your job around your prayers,
A lot of people forget about this.

Donia
12-09-2009, 07:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Insane Insaan
:sl: sister,

Social workers sometimes have to go into people's houses as part of their work.

Could there be a chance that you may sometimes have to go into a house with a lone male, or work with a lone male?

Those are both possibilities although I'm thinking that as a social worker you would mostly be working on by yourself with your own caseload. I could be mistaken as I haven't looked into it enough for those details.

Donia
12-09-2009, 07:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nightstar
Choose a carrer where you can do your job around your prayers,
A lot of people forget about this.
Salaam Brother,
That is so true and that's why I am considering social work because you can excuse yourself for a few minutes to go make prayer as opposed to being a teacher in a public school you would have to find a way to leave your class or go make prayer while they're somewhere else. It's still possible though.

Binyamine
12-09-2009, 07:13 PM
Peace Mercy And Blessing Of Allah be upon all of us.

What about being a teacher in an Islamic School???

Also social work is vast. If you want to help the children, then this is sure a good initiative, but you shall have to meet the parents, both the father and mother. Also we should know that Children never always tell the truth!!

Donia
12-09-2009, 07:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Binyamine
Peace Mercy And Blessing Of Allah be upon all of us.

What about being a teacher in an Islamic School???

Also social work is vast. If you want to help the children, then this is sure a good initiative, but you shall have to meet the parents, both the father and mother. Also we should know that Children never always tell the truth!!
That is true that children do not always tell the truth..
But bruises, black eyes, broken arms don't lie.
I'm more talking about the extreme cases where these kids really could have been helped if there were only more workers to go and just take an initial investigation.

Being a teacher in an Islamic school sounds good. Not sure how possible that would be in my area though..:hmm:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.