/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Another thread about music and Islam, for my presentation next week

robynxo
12-08-2009, 10:54 PM
Good evening all, I have a presentation next week in which I am discussing the religious and secular functions of music (in its Westernised definition) within the Islamic religion, as well as prohibitions regarding the listening to and playing of music, and various opinions about its values and effects that it may have on human beings.

I would like to know people's individual opinions on the value of music, and what they think of the opinions of religious extremists on music, such as it being immoral. Also if anyone could help me with the issue of the definition of music, and issues surrounding this, such as sound within a religious context not being defined as music.

I have to talk for 10 minutes and need the fieldwork, so would really appreciate any help! I know these issues have probably already been discussed but I would like first hand opinions :) Thank youuuu!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
YusufNoor
12-09-2009, 01:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by robynxo
Good evening all, I have a presentation next week in which I am discussing the religious and secular functions of music (in its Westernised definition) within the Islamic religion,

in following the Qur'an and the sunnah, there is no "function" of or for music within Islam regardless of what Sufi, Shiia or other folks not on "Siratal Mustiqeem" say or do.

as well as prohibitions regarding the listening to and playing of music,

it is prohibited...

and various opinions about its values and effects that it may have on human beings.

LOTS of effects, little real value

I would like to know people's individual opinions on the value of music, and what they think of the opinions of religious extremists on music, such as it being immoral.

ah then, we must be the "religious extremists" that you are talking about!

Also if anyone could help me with the issue of the definition of music, and issues surrounding this, such as sound within a religious context not being defined as music.

anything with instruments other than a finger drum

I have to talk for 10 minutes and need the fieldwork, so would really appreciate any help! I know these issues have probably already been discussed but I would like first hand opinions :) Thank youuuu!
if you need fieldwork, dona hijab, hop a bus, go to a Masjid and ask the sisters in the sisters' section. this isn't fieldwork, it's sitting at home and trying to insult Muslims.

czgibson
12-09-2009, 01:12 AM
Greetings,

There are loads of threads about music on this forum. Search for them and I think you'll find all the information you're looking for.

I would like to know people's individual opinions on the value of music, and what they think of the opinions of religious extremists on music, such as it being immoral.
I don't know about it being immoral, but you should be aware that the idea that musical instruments are forbidden by Allah is widely acknowledged to be true by most Muslims here.

Also if anyone could help me with the issue of the definition of music, and issues surrounding this, such as sound within a religious context not being defined as music.
Music is organised sound, according to Edgard Varèse. That definition works for me, but it's not the only one - see here.

I hope that helps.

format_quote Originally Posted by YusufNoor
if you need fieldwork, dona hijab, hop a bus, go to a Masjid and ask the sisters in the sisters' section. this isn't fieldwork, it's sitting at home and trying to insult Muslims.
Why do you think this person is trying to insult you?

Peace

robynxo
12-09-2009, 11:11 AM
I do not mean to offend if I have done, so sorry, but thank you for all the information. N thanks czgibson!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muhammad
12-10-2009, 02:02 PM
Greetings,

As czgibson mentioned, there are loads of threads about music on the forum and there is plenty of information in them. The bottom line is that music is forbidden in Islam.

format_quote Originally Posted by robynxo
Why is the opinion that music is immoral considered extreme?

In Islam, we have the greatest replacement for music and that is the Qur'an. Unlike other books, it has a unique aspect of sound as explained below. The values and effects the Qur'an has on the human heart is greater than anything else that can be produced because it is the very Words of God revealed for the guidance of mankind, and in it is a healing and mercy for those who believe.

Sound
The Qur’an enhances its expression by the use of sounds by employing various phonetic features that have an aesthetic and communicative effect. These features include the lengthening and modification of sounds so that words and letters become similar to an adjacent or nearby sound, and nasalization (ikhfaa’). This unique feature can be found throughout the whole of the Qur’anic discourse.
The Qur’an is abundant with these phonetic devices which construct an emotive and powerful image. This is done by the selection of the most apt word to portray the intended meaning while producing semantically orientated sounds. The way the Qur’an uses the words make it a harmonious tune as Sells states,
"…there is a quality to the sound of the Qur’an which anyone familiar with it in Arabic can recognize. Qur’anic commentators have discussed the power and beauty of this sound… is one of the key aspects of the science of analysing ijaz al-Qur’an (the inimitability of the Qur’an)."

The Qur’anic choice of words coupled with the power of sound conveys meanings in a unique way, whereby the Qur’an produces images and describes events as though they were happening in front of the reader.

Sounds in the Qur’an are employed to increase the effect of its message. The Arabic language has many words for a single meaning, but yet the Qur’an selects and arranges the words to portray the intended meaning in addition to create sounds to conform to the image, scene and message the book conveys. This is not only done by selecting the right words but also arranging them in a specific way to develop sounds and rhythms. Just by touching upon a few simple examples it can be seen why Pickthall was lead to believe that the Qur’an had an "inimitable symphony". Arberry on his personal experience with the rhythm of the Qur’an:,

"Whenever I hear the Quran chanted, it is as though I am listening to Music, underneath the flowing melody there is sounding… insistent beat of a drum, it is like the beating of my heart."
All the best with your presentation!

robynxo
12-11-2009, 10:36 AM
I agree I'm incorrect in saying that it is an extreme view. I had a friend next to me while preparing for my presentation and he said "it's only the extreme views that it's forbidden, not everyone's!" so that's why I wrote that here. After more research and reading, building on insight, I have seen my mistakes. Many thanks Muhammad for that information! I personally think it's extremely interesting how sound can be used to reach a human being so intimately, and I don't think it is possible to deny that it may also have negative impacts as well as positive.

Muhammad
12-11-2009, 09:15 PM
Hello,

I'm glad that you have gained more insight now and that I could be of some help.

I personally think it's extremely interesting how sound can be used to reach a human being so intimately, and I don't think it is possible to deny that it may also have negative impacts as well as positive.
I agree.

CosmicPathos
12-12-2009, 12:18 AM
If you needed my opinion on it for presentation, do mention in your presentation that another "moderate" Muslim believed that music was haram.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.