/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Video Games - A Real Dilemma

StayHumble
12-08-2009, 11:14 PM
Sallamu Alaikum to all the brothers and sisters here at the forum,

I am having quite the problem and I am asking Allah (swt) to help me make the right decision. Ok, ever since I was little I played video games. I basically grew up with gaming consoles such as Nintendo and Sony. Whenever a new game system came out I wanted it, it was as simple as that. I am 19 years old and I do what any late teenager would do, I play video games, I watch anime, movies watch drama's like Smallville (superman series) and stuff like that. Me and my friends always find fun stuff to do, so as long as it is not haram. I used not to pray, just called myself a muslim because I was born into a muslim family. But about a month before this years ramadan I actually started to pray 5 times a day, read Quran trying to get closer to my lord. One of my muslim friends invited me to a lecture and it was my first time going and let me say I was blown away. I thought about everything that I had done in my entire life. This lecture was titled "weapons of mass technology" and how we are so distracted with buying and being engulfed in our material things. It really set things in. One of the topics was about video games and how many haram things are in it, women uncovered, music, violence, images of human beings and much more. After leaving the lecture I told myself thats it when I die god will ask me, "why did you waste your time playing video games and watching these haram things", I vowed not to play games or watch tv or listen to music forever. But as I did research I found that some muslim say that it is ok to play video games as long as it does not interfere with your obligatory prayers or being a good muslim. But how can anyone call themselves a muslim when they play game, even "halal" ones that depict images of charaters or life, and have music. We could be spending our time reading quran and reading hadith. But then I thought if I denounce all of these things I can kiss all my friends goodbye because what brought us together was our interests we played games, watched movies together prayed together, but if I am denouncing all of this that means my games over 50 collect dust, my friends can't come over and play games and I just dont know what to do please. I am sorry for the long post but I want everyone to get the picture. I want to cut all these things off so they don't tempt me to waste time even playing games for 5 mins, you could have been saying a couple of ayats of the quran and recieved a beneficial reward. All my friends and family have told me that I am a good muslim and that it is ok if now and then I play some game, but then this life is short and as we know time is the most precious thing in the world, not taking a second for granted. On the other hand If I choose to be completely in my deen and education, I won't have any time to just relax...plz help

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Asim Khan
12-09-2009, 07:04 AM
As-salam-o-aliekum,

Thank you for posting brother.

I am sorry for the long post but I want everyone to get the picture.
It's helpful to split long writeups into paragraphs.

You could see the video in the thread below with your family:

http://www.islamicboard.com/health-s...eperation.html

:wa:

syilla
12-09-2009, 09:24 AM
Now this is a very good thread... and why people only keep focusing on the subject of facebook instead...huhu

StayHumble
12-09-2009, 07:53 PM
I would really like some advice if any, plz?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IAmZamzam
12-09-2009, 11:56 PM
There is absolutely nothing inherently wrong with video games, and any non-religious activity could just as easily be sinful a waste of time if you overuse it or do it at the wrong times. If that makes video games inherently wrong then it does the same for every recreational task under the sun. The "music" and "images" ahadith are often misunderstood; do a search at understanding-islam.org. And even if you prefer to avoid those things (I guess there's technically nothing wrong with such an avoidance, though you'll be missing out on a lot), there's a difference between an image in that sense and pixels moving on a screen. After all, that's pretty much what you're looking at now. Really, everything your eyes show you is technically an image. If you don't want to listen to the music of a game, there's always the volume and mute controls. And not all games have sex and violence; it depends what you're playing. Really these objections are, by and large, usually all part and parcel of that same attitude a lot of practitioners of every religion hold that everything fun or even not directly related to the religion itself at all, is automatically sinful. Exercise your common sense and make your own judgments.

Hamza Asadullah
12-10-2009, 12:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by StayHumble
Sallamu Alaikum to all the brothers and sisters here at the forum,

I am having quite the problem and I am asking Allah (swt) to help me make the right decision. Ok, ever since I was little I played video games. I basically grew up with gaming consoles such as Nintendo and Sony. Whenever a new game system came out I wanted it, it was as simple as that. I am 19 years old and I do what any late teenager would do, I play video games, I watch anime, movies watch drama's like Smallville (superman series) and stuff like that. Me and my friends always find fun stuff to do, so as long as it is not haram. I used not to pray, just called myself a muslim because I was born into a muslim family. But about a month before this years ramadan I actually started to pray 5 times a day, read Quran trying to get closer to my lord. One of my muslim friends invited me to a lecture and it was my first time going and let me say I was blown away. I thought about everything that I had done in my entire life. This lecture was titled "weapons of mass technology" and how we are so distracted with buying and being engulfed in our material things. It really set things in. One of the topics was about video games and how many haram things are in it, women uncovered, music, violence, images of human beings and much more. After leaving the lecture I told myself thats it when I die god will ask me, "why did you waste your time playing video games and watching these haram things", I vowed not to play games or watch tv or listen to music forever. But as I did research I found that some muslim say that it is ok to play video games as long as it does not interfere with your obligatory prayers or being a good muslim. But how can anyone call themselves a muslim when they play game, even "halal" ones that depict images of charaters or life, and have music. We could be spending our time reading quran and reading hadith. But then I thought if I denounce all of these things I can kiss all my friends goodbye because what brought us together was our interests we played games, watched movies together prayed together, but if I am denouncing all of this that means my games over 50 collect dust, my friends can't come over and play games and I just dont know what to do please. I am sorry for the long post but I want everyone to get the picture. I want to cut all these things off so they don't tempt me to waste time even playing games for 5 mins, you could have been saying a couple of ayats of the quran and recieved a beneficial reward. All my friends and family have told me that I am a good muslim and that it is ok if now and then I play some game, but then this life is short and as we know time is the most precious thing in the world, not taking a second for granted. On the other hand If I choose to be completely in my deen and education, I won't have any time to just relax...plz help
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, my brother Allah is wanting to guide you and bring you closer to him that is why you are inclined to stop all this evil and devote yourself to Almighty Allah.

My brother your story reminds me of a good friend of mine. When he was younger around your age he mixed with completley the wrong crowd. He used to take Cannabis and go clubbing and mix with women and do all kinds of haraam.

His friends did the same things as him and his phone was always going off all the time with his friends wanting to meet up with him and do haraam. I always tried to give him dawah and was there for him and he knew i was right but he felt trapped. I gave him dawah at times and made dua to Allah that he be guided towards the straight path and away from evil as that is all i could have possibly done for him.

He always used to open up to me and he told me exactly the same as what you mentioned in your post that if he left this lifestyle then he would hardly have any friends left. I told him he had me and that once he left this evil lifestyle then he would truly realise who is real friends are.

Alhamdulillah soon afterwards he did leave this haraam life style that he led for so long and he told me that as soon as he decided to leave this lifestyle he notified his friends and many of them were quite shocked at first but most were happy for him and it actually made a lot of his own friends realise that they themselves should change and get away from this evil lfiestyle that they were leading. My friend told me that soon afterwards his phone hardly went off. I told him that at least now you realise that many of them were never your true friends.

My brother it is clear from my friends story that we may think that the friends we have are our true friends but once something happens in our life like a big change and we leave that which brings us close like haram activities etc. Only then do we truly realise who our true friends are.

A good friend is the one who will want good for you and will lead you towards Jannah but the worst friend is the one who will drag you towards hell with him.

So my brother leave this evil behind because it is what shaythan wants of us but let us go towards Allah and Allah will give you only true friends. You should continue to give dawah in the most beautiful manner using wisdom to your friends and inshallah if Allah wills he may guide them through you. But know my brother that Allah is truly favouring you out of countless people by wanting you to go towards him and wanting you to get away from evil and haraam.

Once you leave this evil behind then you can be a good influence on your friends and you can all do good and beneficial activities together and do everything within boundaries of Islam. If your friends are true they will stick by you and they will also benefit from your company as you will be keeping them away from haraam but those who choose not to 'hang' with you anymore were never true friends in the first place but as i mentioned before continue to give dawah to them in the most beautiful of ways using wisdom and tact and do not let shaythan make you paranoid in thinking that you will have no friends left after you change for this is untrue and he is just wanting to put you off by any means possible.

My brother keep a close connction with the Masjid which is the house of Allah and you will find MANY good and like minded brothers and if you are practising then you will find plenty of good brothers on your journey who will become good friends inshallah. We as men should also pray our fard Salah at the masjid and if we leave the house with Wudu then every step towards the Masjid is reward for us! Also every Salah read at the masjid wwith jamaat is upto 70 times or more superior than if read by ourself. Subhanallah. If we keep a close connection with the house of Allah then surely we will keep a close connection with Allah himself as the best places in the sight of Allah are the Masjids and the worst places are the market place(high streets and shopping centres) which are the places of shaythan.

My brother what we have to realise is that Islam is all about keeping a balance. Do as many good deeds as you can in order to please Allah and get close to him but at the same time do your education with the intention of pleasing Allah in wanting to set up and establish a living for you and your family and partner in this world, so that this education and work becomes reward for you, but at the same time find time to relax aswell because our bodys have a right over us and we should never push ourselves too hard that we break. But one should not indulge in that which is forbidden when 'relaxing'. Relaxing does'nt have to be indulging in haram or forbidden activities but it can be just resting ones mind or spending time with close friends and family or even meditating, pondering and contemplating over the creations of Allah and remembering Allah.

Clearly video games have changed significantly over the past decade. The video games nowadays take so much longer to complete and are very addictive indeed and one would end up wasting a significant amount of time trying to complete these games. Also the games are much more voilent and they contain material and images aswell as fantasy figures and mythology etc which is all contrary to Islamic belief and without a doubt video games should not even be in ones home. Brother i urge you to get rid of ALL your video games and consoles and not to give them away to anyone but to dispose of them because giving it away will only cause someone else to waste their time and you will be the cause of that since you gave it to them.

Rid your life and home of this evil and bring goodness to your life and devote your life to llah and in pleasing him. Everything can become reward if we have the right intentions. Even relaxing and spending time with family is very rewarding as long as one has intention of pleasing Allah.

People will say certain things to you like its 'ok' to play video games or do this or that sometimes, but my brother it is NEVER ok to indulge in any haraam or that which wastes our precious time. Our time is too precious to waste and it can end at ANY second so we CANNOT afford to waste it and every second wasted without doing a good act will surely be regretted on the day of judgement!

These threads and articles below will help you to increase your good deeds and imaan so that you can get the closest to Allah. Also I have included a weekly 'ibadah check' table below so that you can evaluate yourself everyday so you can make improvements to yourself and better yourself day after day.

If you have anything to ask then i am here for you as your brother but i do request your dua's and also that take you take this unique and amazing chance that Allah is giving you to go towards him and leave the evil and haraam aside for you are so lucky that Allah wants you close to him out of countless people out there! Subhanallah do not waste a second more my brother time is too precious so grab this opportunity and make the best of your youth because once it is gone then it will NEVER return!

Forty Very Easy, Quick & Rewarding Good Deeds for all of us to do Everyday!

http://www.islamicboard.com/worship-...-everyday.html

VERY Rewarding Nafl Salaahs we can Pray Everyday!

http://www.islamicboard.com/worship-...-everyday.html (VERY Rewarding Nafl Salaahs we can Pray Everyday!)

My Daily Ibadah(worship) check

http://www.islamicboard.com/manners-...hip-check.html

10 Steps to Increasing our Iman(Faith)

http://www.islamicboard.com/manners-...man-faith.html

Signs of Weak Iman and How to Increase It

http://www.missionislam.com/knowledge/weakimanfix.htm

A party in Paradise, A party in Hellfire

http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39698

The Ultimate Motivation for Muslims

http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49243

The State of the People of Paradise in this World

http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49125

The Life of this World and the Hereafter

http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51739

Beautiful Description of Paradise in Islam

http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51707

Major Signs before the Day of Judgement

http://www.inter-islam.org/faith/Majorsigns.html

Signs before the Day of Judgement

http://etori.tripod.com/dajjalsystem/judgement.html

Practising az-Zuhd in the Dunya

http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51738

Overcoming tests from Allah

http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50894

Overcoming laziness and Procrastination

http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52097

Everything about Prophet Muhammad (Pbuh)

http://www.mohammad-pbuh.com/

IAmZamzam
12-10-2009, 01:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamza81
Clearly video games have changed significantly over the past decade. The video games nowadays take so much longer to complete and are very addictive indeed and one would end up wasting a significant amount of time trying to complete these games.
I'm more of a retro gamer on the whole myself. You seem to overlook three things here: (1) old games are still very much available, and take less time. (2) Not everything which is theoretically potentially addictive will addict everyone who does it. (3) How much time a game takes up depends entirely on how much time you spend on it.

Also the games are much more voilent
Stereotype. Besides, it's not real violence. Should people avoid reading books that have any violence in them?

And they contain material and images aswell as fantasy figures and mythology etc which is all contrary to Islamic belief and without a doubt video games should not even be in ones home.
The "images" thing I've covered above. As for fantasy figures and mythology, as long as one doesn't believe in them (and who does?) there is no harm. Some of the best stories ever told, and with maxims to them very much matching Islamic teachings, have used such tropes.

Everything can become reward if we have the right intentions. Even relaxing and spending time with family is very rewarding as long as one has intention of pleasing Allah.
You've just destroyed your own premise, twice. (1) It's all about your intentions; (2) video games can very well be a way to spend time with your family while relaxing. For example, it's the only thing that can bring my brother and myself together. When we do anything else together we can't stand each other.

StayHumble
12-10-2009, 04:11 AM
Brother Sulaiman,

Most games these days contain violence and even if the violence is not real does that make it ok? Studies show that exposure to these types of things effect people psychologically. Even when you don't think its effecting you, subconsciously it does. I agree there are some games that are "halal" that don't include violence or sexual themes. However, the time we spend when we add all of this up is pretty shocking. For example, One of my brothers in Islam told me a shocking statistic that the average human being watches television about 5 hours a day and that if we were to start watching television at the age of 10 (most of us star earlier) until age 60, you would have watched 10 years of television. Stop and think about that for a moment. Don't you think allah will ask what you did with your time on the day of judgement? I am not condemning what you do, however, we can spend our time doing what is beneficial. Playing even 5 minutes of game could be better spend learning a few new ayat of listening to a lecture. Don't look at the immediate,(ie I only play an hour a day) look at how this adds up over time. May allah s.w.t bless us and guide us on the right path. Jazakallahu khair

syilla
12-10-2009, 04:39 AM
:salamext:

Stay humble

You should choose what is best for you and i don't think anyone can say it what is right for you. Game can be play...but you have to be choosey to what type and when you want to play. And most probably when the time comes you tend to do something else which you think it is better for you.

The key is to have 'balance' in everything you do. There is time to play and there is time to work :)

IAmZamzam
12-10-2009, 04:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by StayHumble
Brother Sulaiman,

Most games these days contain violence and even if the violence is not real does that make it ok? Studies show that exposure to these types of things effect people psychologically. Even when you don't think its effecting you, subconsciously it does. I agree there are some games that are "halal" that don't include violence or sexual themes. However, the time we spend when we add all of this up is pretty shocking. For example, One of my brothers in Islam told me a shocking statistic that the average human being watches television about 5 hours a day and that if we were to start watching television at the age of 10 (most of us star earlier) until age 60, you would have watched 10 years of television. Stop and think about that for a moment. Don't you think allah will ask what you did with your time on the day of judgement? I am not condemning what you do, however, we can spend our time doing what is beneficial. Playing even 5 minutes of game could be better spend learning a few new ayat of listening to a lecture. Don't look at the immediate,(ie I only play an hour a day) look at how this adds up over time. May allah s.w.t bless us and guide us on the right path. Jazakallahu khair
Here's a link to an article I wrote on another board disproving statistical thinking and trust. It's all mathematical disproportions and logical fallacies. Besides, you act as though no human being can possibly be exposed to fake violence without it having an adverse psychological effect. This is a ridiculous stereotype indeed. You also act like any time spent doing anything not explicitly religious = time wasted. Being without true recreation and a break from thinking about and doing the same types of things every moment of our lives...well, that's what's universally adverse to the human psyche.

seekingsolace
12-10-2009, 08:30 AM
Like some of the other posters, I think it comes down to what types of games you are playing and why. I play the Wii with my son as a way for us to have fun together. I try to stay away from the violent games and steer us towards the sports or racing games instead. Spending one on one time with a child is always a good thing.

However, before reverting I used to play online multiplayer role playing games like Warcraft and Warhammer. In Warhammer, for example, some of the female characters run around mostly naked, and in Warcraft, other female characters dance suggestively. When some of the other players would find out that I am female, they would try to start very inappropriate conversations with me. Although I have friends who play these games that live all over the world and been my friends for over a decade, I decided it was best that I give them up. Not only do I want to protect myself, but I also don't want to set a bad example for my son who liked to watch me play.

I don't think that restricting yourself completely from all game playing is truly necessary. Just do it wisely. Get a timer, and only play for a set amount of time. Choose games carefully. The rating system on US released games is a good guide for violence, drugs, etc in the game. If you can't handle playing just a little, pick up a new hobby like a sport. You need to have balance in your life while keeping Allah front and foremost.

Hamza Asadullah
12-10-2009, 09:46 PM
If you ask an addict of cigarrettes to not give up completly but have a cigarette now and again will the addict truly only smoke once in a while? There is no such thing as doing something which is forbidden once in a while.

Clearly these games consoles are created for the purpose of wasting time and they are created for the non believers who do not have a purpose in this life for they are here to waste their time and spend it following their desires. Their life is pointless but we have our purpose and why should we waste these precious years of our lives on these pointless games consoles?

Countless Muslim parents are oblivious and frankly careless to the fact that their children are wasting a significant amount of time on these games consoles as well as the detrimental affect it has on their psychological development.

Do not listen to those who condone such evil as clearly most of the content of these games is evil so rid it from your lives for your own good. There is SO much to do to relax but playing games consoles should certainly NOT be a way for us to relax and it should NOT be a part of a Muslims life at all.

Hamza Asadullah
12-10-2009, 09:51 PM
Islam and Recreation

|Sheikh `Alî Bâdahdah|

People require rest and recreation. This is something completely natural. Without it, a person cannot be productive in life. The Companion Abû al-Dardâ’ said: “I seek recreation in something that is neither useful nor unlawful, and this makes me stronger on the truth.”

Islam is complete and comprehensive, addressing all aspects of our lives and all of our needs, including our need for diversions and for recreation. It provides for us lawful means to fulfill this need.

We read in the Qur’ân how the brothers of Joseph (peace be upon him) appealed to their father, the Prophet Jacob (peace be upon him), on the basis of this fundamental human need. They said: “Send him along with us tomorrow so he may engage in revelry and play. We will indeed keep him safe.” [Sûrah Yûsuf: 12]

The judge Abû Bakr b. al-`Arabî, commenting on this verse, observes:

There is no real objection to this type of recreation. A man engages in play with his family, as well as engaging in horse riding, archery, and in any other form of recreation sanctioned by the sacred texts. It is authentically related to us that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said to Jâbir when he married a mature widow: “Why did you not marry a virgin whom you could play with and who would play with you?” [Sahîh al-Bukhârî and Sahîh Muslim] The recreation that these brothers were referring to was either foot racing or archery. This we can understand from the verse: “We went off to compete with each other.” [Sûrah Yûsuf: 17]

`Â’ishah relates the following about her husband, the Prophet (peace be upon him):

I swear by Allah that I saw Allah’s Messenger (peace be upon him) standing at the door of my room while the Abyssinians were engaged in spear play in the mosque of Allah’s Messenger (peace be upon him). He screened me with his cloak so I could watch them perform. He stood there for my sake until I decided that I had had enough. Now just imagine how much time a young girl eager for entertainment would stand there watching. [Sahîh al-Bukhârî and Sahîh Muslim]

At the end of this story, she relates that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “The Jews know that in the world there is time for rest. And I have been sent with the true and pure religion.”

Qarazah b. Ka`b and Abû Sa`ûd al-Ansârî both said: “The Prophet (peace be upon him) permitted us to engage in recreation during weddings.” [Sunan al-Nasâ’î]

In the Sunnah, we see the Companions participating in many different forms of lawful entertainment and play. They engaged in sports like footraces, horseracing, wrestling, and archery. They spent time in telling jokes and in lighthearted conversation.

Salmân al-Fârisî said to Abû al-Dardâ’: “Your own self has a right over you, your Lord has a right over you, your guest has a right over you, and your family has a right over you. So give everyone his due.” When the Prophet (peace be upon him) heard about what Salmân had said, he approved of it, saying: “Salmân has spoken the truth.” [Sahîh al-Bukhârî and Sunan al-Tirmidhî]

The scholars of Islam have attested to the importance of lawful recreation to the healthy development of a person’s character. Al-Ghazâli writes:

After completing his bookwork, a child should be allowed to play in a nice manner so that he can relax from the fatigue of his studies. His play should not tire him out. If the child is forbidden to engage in play and forced to spend his time in perpetual study, this will result in his heart dying, his intelligence waning, and his manner of living becoming so wretched that he will seek from it any escape he can find.

Ibn Miskawayh writes:

A child should be permitted on occasion to engage in nice play so that he can relax from the fatigue of his proper upbringing. His play should neither cause injury nor be very tiring.

Ibn Jamâ`ah observes:

There is nothing wrong with the student resting himself, his heart, his mind, and his eyes – if any of these grows tired or languid – with play and recreation. This will return him to his proper state so that his time will not be wasted. There is nothing wrong with it being strenuous and exercising his body, for it has been said that this refreshes the metabolism, rids the system of excess toxins, and revitalizes the body.

Though recreation and entertainment is essentially lawful in Islam, it is necessary for us to keep the following in mind:

1. Time is precious. We must always be acutely aware of how valuable the time is that we have been given in our brief lives on Earth. Islam teaches us to place a premium on our time and to get as much out of it as we can, defining for us the various ways we can employ it.

Allah says: “It is He who has made the night and the day in succession for whoever desires to remember or show gratitude.” [Sûrah al-Furqân: 62]

Our lives should be spent in the remembrance of Allah and in thanks to Him. Indeed, Allah says: “I created neither humanity nor the jinn except to worship Me.” [Sûrah al-Dhâriyât: 56]

This is the ultimate purpose of life, and it should be what preoccupies our time. The Prophet (peace be upon him) speaks to us about how much we lose when we waste our time, saying: “There are two blessings that many people squander: health and time.” [Sahîh al-Bukhârî]

He also says as a warning to us: “Allah leaves no more excuses for a person once he has given him sixty years to live.”

We all know that we will be standing before Allah and questioned about how we spent our time. The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “No one will be permitted to turn his two feet away on the Day of Resurrection until he is questioned about four matters: about his life, how he spent it; his youth, how he employed it; his work, what he did with it; and his wealth, how he earned it and spent it.” [Sunan al-Tirmidhî]

2. Our work and our efforts are important in Islam, and as Muslims, we are encouraged to be industrious. Allah says: “Say: Work, for Allah will see your deeds as will His Messenger and the believers.” [Sûrah al-Tawbah: 105]

Allah makes clear to us the effect that our works have on our recompense in the Hereafter. He says: “Are you recompensed except for the work that you used to do?” [Sûrah al-Naml: 90]

He also says: “Is the recompense for goodness anything but goodness?” [Sûrah al-Rahmân: 60]

There are many verses in the Qur’ân that mention good works in conjunction with faith. Moreover, the importance of diligence and being responsible in our work is specifically emphasized. Allah says: “O John, take the scripture with determination.” [Sûrah Maryam: 12]

He also says: “Take what We have given you with determination.” [Sûrah al-Baqarah: 63]

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “The believer who is strong is better and more beloved to Allah than the believer who is weak.” [Sahîh Muslim]

The Prophet (peace be upon him) also said: “Allah loves that when you engage in some work, you do so with proficiency.” [al-Bayhaqî, Shu`ab al-Îmân]

He also emphasized the importance of continuing with our deeds throughout the duration of our lives, saying: “If the Final Hour arrives and one of you has a sapling in his hand, if he can finish planting it before standing up, then he should do so.” [al-Bukhârî, al-Adab al-Mufrid]

A Muslim alternates from his worldly work to his work for the Hereafter, being equally diligent in both. Allah says: “Therefore, when you are free from your immediate task, still labor hard. And strive to please your Lord.” [Sûrah al-Sharh: 7-8]

3. Islam stresses the importance of striving to reap benefits for both this world and the next. The life of this world is the harvesting ground for the Hereafter. It is but a passing phase and the life to come is the eternal abode. A Muslim, therefore, should expend his efforts for the sake of the Hereafter and at the same time bring about benefits in this world. He should excel in cultivating and developing the Earth while gearing his efforts towards achieving felicity in the Hereafter.

Allah says: “And He has made of service unto you whatsoever is in the heavens and whatsoever is in the Earth; it is all from Him. Lo! Herein are signs for a people who reflect.” [Sûrah al-Jâthiyah: 13]

Allah says: “He it is who has made the Earth subservient unto you, so traverse its paths and partake of His providence.” [Sûrah al-Mulk: 15]

The Muslim world today is behind everyone else in knowledge, enterprise, and productivity. One of the reasons for this is that Muslims are not making productive use of their time and generally do not have a positive work ethic. We must resolve to stop wasting time, to stop falling short in our work, and to put an end to our unproductive habits.

In light of all of this, we can place recreation and entertainment in the proper context: We must observe the following guidelines:

1. Recreation must never cause us to neglect our obligatory worship and our obedience to Allah.

2. Recreation and entertainment should not take up too much of our time. We should not engage in it to the point where it ceases to be beneficial.

3. It should not become our habit to perpetually seek recreation and diversion.

4. Recreation should not keep us from activities that will benefit us in our worldly or spiritual lives.

5. Our means of recreation and our entertainments must be completely free from anything that is unlawful in Islam.

Source:http://www.islamtoday.com/showme2.cf...sub_cat_id=658

Mohamed_
12-10-2009, 10:07 PM
Also I can say that there are games which don't contain that much violence, but there's nothing sexual in them. For example football games, strategy games, some normal MMO games, car/motor racing games.

But anyways, I prefer FPS games as well. Actually more than any other type of games. I'd know why, but I really like them. And the most surprising thing (to me) is, I never played FPS games to kill the enemy and to be the biggest killer in the game. I always played/play them for fun. To fun with people who are living on the other side of the world. And make little competitions with them, like who can move, jump, run the fastest, who can aim the best. And other things.

Imo, some games are not that very violence if you don't take them. Some games can be used to have fun, have a break to 'turn off' your body after a pissed off day. :)

So umm... There are games which are not really voilence or sexual. And I think that if you keep your prayer times, you read the Qoran, so you've your 'free' time and that time when you've to do the important things and you can separate them by the importance. Then it's fine (imo).

Maybe I talk a 'easily', it's becuase I was not born in a muslim family and I've a non-muslim background. Even my mom and step-father (they both are not muslims) make the things not easier, but harder to me...

Ali_008
12-12-2009, 05:50 AM
:sl:
I didn't read what others posted (because I'm hungry and waiting for my breakfast :()and I'll just give you my opinion. Well there was an incident in the life of Rasoolullah :saws: in which a Sahabi came to him and said that "O Rasoolullah! When we are with you, we are in constant reckoning of the hereafter but when we get back to our social and family lives, we get engulfed and indulged in this dunya a lot." To this Rasoolullah :saws: gave a very kind response, as always. I don't remember the exact words but he :saws: said your heart gets worn out so it needs entertainment for refreshment i.e. one should do things which he really enjoys doing (as long as what you do is halaal, obviously :D)

So you see entertaining yourself is something totally allowed in Islam. There are many games out there which don't have any women in them. You also have the option of disabling the sounds/music.

One thing you should be careful about is not spending hours and hours on such stuff because that is how these games can make you miss your Salaah and other obligations.

Above all, I'd like to congratulate for finally getting guided by Allah. Brother, you've just discovered the most precious thing ever made and thats faith.
:w:

IAmZamzam
12-12-2009, 09:40 PM
If you ask an addict of cigarrettes to not give up completly but have a cigarette now and again will the addict truly only smoke once in a while? There is no such thing as doing something which is forbidden once in a while.
Video games are not forbidden. They cannot be since they didn't even exist in the Prophet's (P) time. He was always telling us to use our own common sense to fill in the gaps. And you have not established in any way that most remotely holds water that video games should be forbidden. You've only presented misunderstandings, illogicalities and ignorant stereotypes. As for the cigarette thing, if someone isn't addicted to them in the first place then the concept of "giving them up but still having one now and then" is meaningless so the analogy fails. If you think that every single human being who ever plays video games gets addicted to them, you have sooooo much to learn. Not even every single human being who smokes cigarettes gets addicted to them, let alone video games, and nicotine is the most addictive substance on the planet! (No I am not arguing for the smoking of cigarettes: I'm just using them as an analogy like you were.)

Clearly these games consoles are created for the purpose of wasting time and they are created for the non believers who do not have a purpose in this life for they are here to waste their time and spend it following their desires.
So let me get this straight: you're saying that when people invent video game systems they have this dastardly scheme in mind to make people waste time, and they specifically intend them for nonreligious or non-Muslim people? Is that really what you think is going through the developers' minds??

Countless Muslim parents are oblivious and frankly careless to the fact that their children are wasting a significant amount of time on these games consoles as well as the detrimental affect it has on their psychological development.
If their children are spending too much time on the games--if, and you just assume that they automatically all do--then it is the job of the parents to do the necessary parenting. You stay out of it.

Do not listen to those who condone such evil as clearly most of the content of these games is evil so rid it from your lives for your own good.
Tell me what in the contents of "Wii Sports" is evil? And believe me, I got plenty more examples where that came from.

1. Recreation must never cause us to neglect our obligatory worship and our obedience to Allah.
Depending on when you're playing the games, they don't have to cause that.

2. Recreation and entertainment should not take up too much of our time. We should not engage in it to the point where it ceases to be beneficial.
Then all one must do is not let the games take up too much of one's time. For instance, my mother plays her Nintendo DS occasionally, mainly because the puzzle games help her with her slow onset of premature memory loss and what not, and never lets it interfere with her day.

It's odd how in your mind seeking recreation and diversion automatically equates to perpetually seeking it.

4. Recreation should not keep us from activities that will benefit us in our worldly or spiritual lives.
See my answers to #1 and #2.

5. Our means of recreation and our entertainments must be completely free from anything that is unlawful in Islam.
See my "Wii Sports" thing above.

Hamza Asadullah
12-13-2009, 04:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yahya Sulaiman
Video games are not forbidden. They cannot be since they didn't even exist in the Prophet's (P) time. He was always telling us to use our own common sense to fill in the gaps. And you have not established in any way that most remotely holds water that video games should be forbidden. You've only presented misunderstandings, illogicalities and ignorant stereotypes. As for the cigarette thing, if someone isn't addicted to them in the first place then the concept of "giving them up but still having one now and then" is meaningless so the analogy fails. If you think that every single human being who ever plays video games gets addicted to them, you have sooooo much to learn. Not even every single human being who smokes cigarettes gets addicted to them, let alone video games, and nicotine is the most addictive substance on the planet! (No I am not arguing for the smoking of cigarettes: I'm just using them as an analogy like you were.)
Ecstasy tablets did'nt exist in the time of the prophet so is it halal? How about Pornography or magic muchrooms?

If games like chess are forbidden because of the fact that they waste so much of a persons time then what can be said for video games? Do most of these games not waste time? Do they not take months on end to complete and countless hours of devoting ones precious time and effort into completing them when that time, effort and determination can be spent elsewhere on more important matters?

So let me get this straight: you're saying that when people invent video game systems they have this dastardly scheme in mind to make people waste time, and they specifically intend them for nonreligious or non-Muslim people? Is that really what you think is going through the developers' minds??
The whole point of video games is to waste ones money, effort, and time on. This time and effort must not be wasted on these worthless and purposeless pursuits. The difference between us and the kufaar is that we are here on this earth passing like on a journey and our ultimate and final destination is the hereafter where we will spend eternity whereas they are only here for this world and this is their paradise.

So they do what they can to create ways of making people spend thier time in this life whereas we cannot afford to waste our time the same way as they do because our precious time must be spent on making a life for ourselves in the hereafter whereas they do not even believe in an afterlife let alone working for it.

If their children are spending too much time on the games--if, and you just assume that they automatically all do--then it is the job of the parents to do the necessary parenting. You stay out of it.
If the parents prevent their children from wasting their precious time on these games in the first place then there would be no need to try and 'control' their habits afterwards and to spend ones efforts trying to restrict their children from plaing these games so that they can spend some time with school work. How can a parent keep an eye on their children 24 hours a day? These games do untold damage to children aswell as preventing family time and having detrimental effects on the social and psychological development of children because they are spending more time on these games than spending time with friends and family. These games become centre of focus and attention for these children rather than focusing on developing mentally and on their school work and on the things that really matter in life like developing as Muslims and learning about deen as all available time is wasted on these games.

Tell me what in the contents of "Wii Sports" is evil? And believe me, I got plenty more examples where that came from.
I never said there was anything wrong with Wii sports if it is for the intention of losing weight and for health purposes in order to increase ones strength to worship Allah and look after ones body. As long as it does not contain the awrah of a man or women, music and other forbidden material or images. If it does not then it may be good for women in particular and the elderly.

Then all one must do is not let the games take up too much of one's time. For instance, my mother plays her Nintendo DS occasionally, mainly because the puzzle games help her with her slow onset of premature memory loss and what not, and never lets it interfere with her day.
If the games are to help a person lose weight and to improve their memory and one has these intentions in mind when using these games then they are ok as long as they do not contain the 'awrah' of a man or women and also do not contain music or other forbidden material or images. But how can one always be sure before buying them that it will never contain awrah of a man or women and forbidden material and images?

IAmZamzam
12-13-2009, 06:39 PM
I never said there was anything wrong with Wii sports if it is for the intention of losing weight and for health purposes in order to increase ones strength to worship Allah and look after ones body. As long as it does not contain the awrah of a man or women, music and other forbidden material or images. If it does not then it may be good for women in particular and the elderly. If the games are to help a person lose weight and to improve their memory and one has these intentions in mind when using these games then they are ok as long as they do not contain the 'awrah' of a man or women and also do not contain music or other forbidden material or images. But how can one always be sure before buying them that it will never contain awrah of a man or women and forbidden material and images?
Up until now all you've done is make shameful and ingnorant stereotypes about all video games as a whole, with a dash of accusatory talk about their makers as though you could read their minds (does Allah not command us not to speak of things whereof we have no knowledge?) and that typical pro-censorship "parents can't be around and control their kids 24 hours a day" fallacy, as though the unavoidable and natural fact of inconveniences and dangers of life should be blamed on or become the bane of the arts and entertainment industry. And now you turn right around and confess that some video games may not be all bad. Make up your mind. As for your question, there are many ways of learning about a game before playing it: asking people who have played it; reading reviews; reading info on websites; word of mouth from people who work at electronics stores; reading the back of the game box; common sense; etc.

Hamza Asadullah
12-13-2009, 11:51 PM
Up until now all you've done is make shameful and ingnorant stereotypes about all video games as a whole, with a dash of accusatory talk about their makers as though you could read their minds (does Allah not command us not to speak of things whereof we have no knowledge?) and that typical pro-censorship "parents can't be around and control their kids 24 hours a day" fallacy, as though the unavoidable and natural fact of inconveniences and dangers of life should be blamed on or become the bane of the arts and entertainment industry. And now you turn right around and confess that some video games may not be all bad. Make up your mind. As for your question, there are many ways of learning about a game before playing it: asking people who have played it; reading reviews; reading info on websites; word of mouth from people who work at electronics stores; reading the back of the game box; common sense; etc.
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, the facts are that video games are a complete waste of time and effort and we as Muslims cannot afford to waste our precious time on useless pursuits which may have damagin effects to our imaan (faith) aswell as the fact that most of these video games contain the awrah of men and women aswell as Music. All of which are forbidden for our eyes and ears. Therefore it is far better that Muslims do not involve themselves with video games and not have them in our homes.

It is far better to spend time with the family and ones children and conduct activities together as a family unit which is also much better for the childs psychological development aswell as the child learning and developing as a Muslim. It is upto the parents to take the steps to avoid bringing these consoles into the home and rather play and conduct acitivies with ones own child aswell as letting the child play and be with others its age which is far more beneficial for its and social skills.

You can defend and justify video games all you like but you have no argument, just an 'appeal to emotion fallacy'.

So the fact remains that video games do more harm than good and wastes too much of a persons time and effort and that time and effort could be channelled into much more worthwhile pursuits. Aswell as the fact that almost all these games contain music and have haraam material and images which are contrary to Islamic beliefs.

Let us as Muslims make the best use of our time and not use any of our precious time on worthless and useless activities that will not benefit us in this world or the next.

Finally i leave you with this hadith:

Hadhrat Mu'az [RA] narrated Rasulallah (Peace be upon him) said: “The Inhabitants of Paradise will not be grief stricken or sorrowful about anything they did in the life of the world except for the time they spent without being in the remembrance of Allah” (Tabaraani)

We will regret the Seconds we wasted in this world without remembering Allah, so let us make the best use of our precious time as there is SO much for us to do and accomplish and SO little time to do it in.

OurIslamic
12-14-2009, 12:01 AM
There is absolutely nothing inherently wrong with video games, and any non-religious activity could just as easily be sinful a waste of time if you overuse it or do it at the wrong times. If that makes video games inherently wrong then it does the same for every recreational task under the sun. The "music" and "images" ahadith are often misunderstood; do a search at understanding-islam.org. And even if you prefer to avoid those things (I guess there's technically nothing wrong with such an avoidance, though you'll be missing out on a lot), there's a difference between an image in that sense and pixels moving on a screen. After all, that's pretty much what you're looking at now. Really, everything your eyes show you is technically an image. If you don't want to listen to the music of a game, there's always the volume and mute controls. And not all games have sex and violence; it depends what you're playing. Really these objections are, by and large, usually all part and parcel of that same attitude a lot of practitioners of every religion hold that everything fun or even not directly related to the religion itself at all, is automatically sinful. Exercise your common sense and make your own judgments.
It really depends on the video games...

Killing games with a lot of violence and exposure to haram things (ex: grand theft auto) = Haram. Don't tell me it's not Haram because it's just a game.

Educational games = Halal

Ali_008
12-14-2009, 03:30 AM
I'd like to add that there is a lot of fitna on every step of our lives in this 21st century, what's important is that we protect ourselves. The internet has pornography but it doesn't make the internet haraam, does it? It really depends on what use you make of things. Video games fall under the same category as internet. I wouldn't find violence games haraam either as long as they are non-fiction i.e. games based on World Wars, Crusades etc. :)

I<3Bush
12-14-2009, 05:16 AM
Islam and Recreation

|Sheikh `Alî Bâdahdah|

People require rest and recreation. This is something completely natural. Without it, a person cannot be productive in life. The Companion Abû al-Dardâ’ said: “I seek recreation in something that is neither useful nor unlawful, and this makes me stronger on the truth.”

Islam is complete and comprehensive, addressing all aspects of our lives and all of our needs, including our need for diversions and for recreation. It provides for us lawful means to fulfill this need.

We read in the Qur’ân how the brothers of Joseph (peace be upon him) appealed to their father, the Prophet Jacob (peace be upon him), on the basis of this fundamental human need. They said: “Send him along with us tomorrow so he may engage in revelry and play. We will indeed keep him safe.” [Sûrah Yûsuf: 12]

The judge Abû Bakr b. al-`Arabî, commenting on this verse, observes:

There is no real objection to this type of recreation. A man engages in play with his family, as well as engaging in horse riding, archery, and in any other form of recreation sanctioned by the sacred texts. It is authentically related to us that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said to Jâbir when he married a mature widow: “Why did you not marry a virgin whom you could play with and who would play with you?” [Sahîh al-Bukhârî and Sahîh Muslim] The recreation that these brothers were referring to was either foot racing or archery. This we can understand from the verse: “We went off to compete with each other.” [Sûrah Yûsuf: 17]

`Â’ishah relates the following about her husband, the Prophet (peace be upon him):

I swear by Allah that I saw Allah’s Messenger (peace be upon him) standing at the door of my room while the Abyssinians were engaged in spear play in the mosque of Allah’s Messenger (peace be upon him). He screened me with his cloak so I could watch them perform. He stood there for my sake until I decided that I had had enough. Now just imagine how much time a young girl eager for entertainment would stand there watching. [Sahîh al-Bukhârî and Sahîh Muslim]

At the end of this story, she relates that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “The Jews know that in the world there is time for rest. And I have been sent with the true and pure religion.”

Qarazah b. Ka`b and Abû Sa`ûd al-Ansârî both said: “The Prophet (peace be upon him) permitted us to engage in recreation during weddings.” [Sunan al-Nasâ’î]

In the Sunnah, we see the Companions participating in many different forms of lawful entertainment and play. They engaged in sports like footraces, horseracing, wrestling, and archery. They spent time in telling jokes and in lighthearted conversation.

Salmân al-Fârisî said to Abû al-Dardâ’: “Your own self has a right over you, your Lord has a right over you, your guest has a right over you, and your family has a right over you. So give everyone his due.” When the Prophet (peace be upon him) heard about what Salmân had said, he approved of it, saying: “Salmân has spoken the truth.” [Sahîh al-Bukhârî and Sunan al-Tirmidhî]

The scholars of Islam have attested to the importance of lawful recreation to the healthy development of a person’s character. Al-Ghazâli writes:

After completing his bookwork, a child should be allowed to play in a nice manner so that he can relax from the fatigue of his studies. His play should not tire him out. If the child is forbidden to engage in play and forced to spend his time in perpetual study, this will result in his heart dying, his intelligence waning, and his manner of living becoming so wretched that he will seek from it any escape he can find.

Ibn Miskawayh writes:

A child should be permitted on occasion to engage in nice play so that he can relax from the fatigue of his proper upbringing. His play should neither cause injury nor be very tiring.

Ibn Jamâ`ah observes:

There is nothing wrong with the student resting himself, his heart, his mind, and his eyes – if any of these grows tired or languid – with play and recreation. This will return him to his proper state so that his time will not be wasted. There is nothing wrong with it being strenuous and exercising his body, for it has been said that this refreshes the metabolism, rids the system of excess toxins, and revitalizes the body.

Though recreation and entertainment is essentially lawful in Islam, it is necessary for us to keep the following in mind:

1. Time is precious. We must always be acutely aware of how valuable the time is that we have been given in our brief lives on Earth. Islam teaches us to place a premium on our time and to get as much out of it as we can, defining for us the various ways we can employ it.

Allah says: “It is He who has made the night and the day in succession for whoever desires to remember or show gratitude.” [Sûrah al-Furqân: 62]

Our lives should be spent in the remembrance of Allah and in thanks to Him. Indeed, Allah says: “I created neither humanity nor the jinn except to worship Me.” [Sûrah al-Dhâriyât: 56]

This is the ultimate purpose of life, and it should be what preoccupies our time. The Prophet (peace be upon him) speaks to us about how much we lose when we waste our time, saying: “There are two blessings that many people squander: health and time.” [Sahîh al-Bukhârî]

He also says as a warning to us: “Allah leaves no more excuses for a person once he has given him sixty years to live.”

We all know that we will be standing before Allah and questioned about how we spent our time. The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “No one will be permitted to turn his two feet away on the Day of Resurrection until he is questioned about four matters: about his life, how he spent it; his youth, how he employed it; his work, what he did with it; and his wealth, how he earned it and spent it.” [Sunan al-Tirmidhî]

2. Our work and our efforts are important in Islam, and as Muslims, we are encouraged to be industrious. Allah says: “Say: Work, for Allah will see your deeds as will His Messenger and the believers.” [Sûrah al-Tawbah: 105]

Allah makes clear to us the effect that our works have on our recompense in the Hereafter. He says: “Are you recompensed except for the work that you used to do?” [Sûrah al-Naml: 90]

He also says: “Is the recompense for goodness anything but goodness?” [Sûrah al-Rahmân: 60]

There are many verses in the Qur’ân that mention good works in conjunction with faith. Moreover, the importance of diligence and being responsible in our work is specifically emphasized. Allah says: “O John, take the scripture with determination.” [Sûrah Maryam: 12]

He also says: “Take what We have given you with determination.” [Sûrah al-Baqarah: 63]

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “The believer who is strong is better and more beloved to Allah than the believer who is weak.” [Sahîh Muslim]

The Prophet (peace be upon him) also said: “Allah loves that when you engage in some work, you do so with proficiency.” [al-Bayhaqî, Shu`ab al-Îmân]

He also emphasized the importance of continuing with our deeds throughout the duration of our lives, saying: “If the Final Hour arrives and one of you has a sapling in his hand, if he can finish planting it before standing up, then he should do so.” [al-Bukhârî, al-Adab al-Mufrid]

A Muslim alternates from his worldly work to his work for the Hereafter, being equally diligent in both. Allah says: “Therefore, when you are free from your immediate task, still labor hard. And strive to please your Lord.” [Sûrah al-Sharh: 7-8]

3. Islam stresses the importance of striving to reap benefits for both this world and the next. The life of this world is the harvesting ground for the Hereafter. It is but a passing phase and the life to come is the eternal abode. A Muslim, therefore, should expend his efforts for the sake of the Hereafter and at the same time bring about benefits in this world. He should excel in cultivating and developing the Earth while gearing his efforts towards achieving felicity in the Hereafter.

Allah says: “And He has made of service unto you whatsoever is in the heavens and whatsoever is in the Earth; it is all from Him. Lo! Herein are signs for a people who reflect.” [Sûrah al-Jâthiyah: 13]

Allah says: “He it is who has made the Earth subservient unto you, so traverse its paths and partake of His providence.” [Sûrah al-Mulk: 15]

The Muslim world today is behind everyone else in knowledge, enterprise, and productivity. One of the reasons for this is that Muslims are not making productive use of their time and generally do not have a positive work ethic. We must resolve to stop wasting time, to stop falling short in our work, and to put an end to our unproductive habits.

In light of all of this, we can place recreation and entertainment in the proper context: We must observe the following guidelines:

Source:http://www.islamtoday.com/showme2.cf...sub_cat_id=658
How does what you posted go against playing video games?

Hamza Asadullah
12-14-2009, 01:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by I<3Bush
How does what you posted go against playing video games?
It is merely stating the Islamic perspective on recreational activities and that they should be conducted in accordance within the boundaries of Islam.

Hamza Asadullah
12-14-2009, 01:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali_008
Well brothers, the immense debate this has aroused gives me the feeling that as per the Shari'ah, video games ought to be makrooh.

I'd like to add that there is a lot of fitna on every step of our lives in this 21st century, what's important is that we protect ourselves. The internet has pornography but it doesn't make the internet haraam, does it? It really depends on what use you make of things. Video games fall under the same category as internet. I wouldn't find violence games haraam either as long as they are non-fiction i.e. games based on World Wars, Crusades etc. :)
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, Nice of you to make your own fatwa sheikh but most would disagree with you on the fact that voilent games are halal as they contain haraam images, material,music as well as the awrah of men and women and characters and story line which are contrary to the teachings of Islam.

Next time please refrain from making your own fatwas as you do not have the knolwedge and authority to do so. Islam is not a deen where we can state our opinions and make fatwas out of them so please be careful of misleading yourself and others.

I<3Bush
12-14-2009, 03:41 PM
It is merely stating the Islamic perspective on recreational activities and that they should be conducted in accordance within the boundaries of Islam.
Yea that was what I was thinking as well. I see you saying games are a waste of time / evil and then saying some games are good and then your last reply to Yahya seems to go against gaming completely so I' was just a little confused.

Ali_008
12-14-2009, 04:58 PM
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, Nice of you to make your own fatwa sheikh but most would disagree with you on the fact that voilent games are halal as they contain haraam images, material,music as well as the awrah of men and women and characters and story line which are contrary to the teachings of Islam.

Next time please refrain from making your own fatwas as you do not have the knolwedge and authority to do so. Islam is not a deen where we can state our opinions and make fatwas out of them so please be careful of misleading yourself and others.
Brother, I didn't post a fatwa of my own. I used the word "ought" and not "is/has". And Brother, I said violence games would become halaal only if they are based on true events and there are games without haraam images and you certainly have the option of disabling all kinds of sounds in a game. If just bringing in a little history in gaming makes it haraam then studying or doing anything whatsoever with History would be haraam as well because the history which we learn in schools and colleges has people going against the teachings of Islam and suffering because of it.

I gave the example of internet. The existence of a haraam content on the web does not totally make the internet haraam. It depends on what sites you choose to surf. On the same grounds, it depends on the games which you choose to play.

I totally respect your opinion and because of that I'll edit my previous post so that I don't mislead anyone. :D

Hamza Asadullah
12-14-2009, 05:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by I<3Bush
Yea that was what I was thinking as well. I see you saying games are a waste of time / evil and then saying some games are good and then your last reply to Yahya seems to go against gaming completely so I' was just a little confused.
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, I only made an exception with a few games on WII which are used only for the intention and purpose of losing weight and for improving memory but even then most of these games will contain music and the awrah of men and women aswell as haraam material and images. Therefore it is just best not to have these consoles in ones home at all because i know from experience that they waste a significant amount of a person time and effort and that time and effort should be channelled and used towards more important and useful pursuits.

Also they have detrimental effects on the psychological and social development of children. One should spend time with ones child and these consoles will just become the focus of attention for the child because at that age can a child really control their habits? Why go through the hassle of trying to control the childs use of these consoles. There is so much more beneficial ways for a child to spend their time than spending hours upon hours on these games which also have effects on how the child will turn out especially if they constantly play voilent games and those of a sexual nature.

Only in the hereafter will all of us truly regret the seconds we wasted on useless pursuits which do more damage than good.

May Allah help us to make the best use of every second of our lives so that we can please him. Ameen

cat eyes
12-14-2009, 05:42 PM
i have to be honest i have played play station before and i managed not to get addicted i did it for a bit of fun with my sister it didn't effect my deen at all i don't think things should be classed as forbidden so easily thats just my own opinion if you can control the amount you use it now i don't play it at all because i simply know its a waste of time and i wouldnt benefit from it but we are allowed to have a bit of fun from time to time too. i think some muslims forget that! now i have this funny image in my mind of an imam playing play station with his wife ;D

Salahudeen
12-14-2009, 06:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
i have to be honest i have played play station before and i managed not to get addicted i did it for a bit of fun with my sister it didn't effect my deen at all i don't think things should be classed as forbidden so easily thats just my own opinion if you can control the amount you use it now i don't play it at all because i simply know its a waste of time and i wouldnt benefit from it but we are allowed to have a bit of fun from time to time too. i think some muslims forget that! now i have this funny image in my mind of an imam playing play station with his wife ;D

haha lol, I was a gaming addict in my teens, I used to pretend to go school and then wait round the corner till my mum went out to work and came back in the house and played games all day with my online buddies lol Subhanallah.

That was once a week normally Mondays :p man I was such a geek lol. My bedroom was like my paradise lol.

Hamza Asadullah
12-14-2009, 11:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, sister no one stated that we are not aloud to have fun of course we are for it is in our nature but we should have fun within the boundaries of Islam.

In order to play a game which has no haraam images, audio,material and awrah of men and women one has to go through pain staking research of the game before buying it and then when one buys it it is still not certain if it contains any of the above and on top of that these games take a significant amount of time and effort to complete therefore wasting so much of ones time and effort on useless and purposeless pursuits.

Instead one can have fun and involve oneself in recreational activities that will benefit a person and with the right intention it can be reward too.

So the only point im trying to make is that let us do those activities that do not cost us a significant amount of time and are within the boundaries of Islam. In order for one to know whether a certain game is within the boundaries of Islam one has to spend a lot of time researching and finding out and then there is still no certainty if the game is ok. Instead we can do so many more things which we can benefit from too and were not risking our imaan at the same time.

and Allah knows best

IslamicRevival
12-15-2009, 12:39 AM
Salaam.

I dont see anything wrong with playing games such as FiFa 2010 (Football game) or any other sports game as long as they do not contain violence or lewd scenes

We as Muslims are allowed to have fun but obviously there and boundaries and limits. I play games online, sometimes even with the young uns, It brings us together... It puts a smile on their faces, whats 'wrong' with that?

If someone misses Namaaz because he is playing a game instead then its the individuals fault not the game

Ali_008
12-15-2009, 03:40 AM
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, sister no one stated that we are not aloud to have fun of course we are for it is in our nature but we should have fun within the boundaries of Islam.

In order to play a game which has no haraam images, audio,material and awrah of men and women one has to go through pain staking research of the game before buying it and then when one buys it it is still not certain if it contains any of the above and on top of that these games take a significant amount of time and effort to complete therefore wasting so much of ones time and effort on useless and purposeless pursuits.

Instead one can have fun and involve oneself in recreational activities that will benefit a person and with the right intention it can be reward too.

So the only point im trying to make is that let us do those activities that do not cost us a significant amount of time and are within the boundaries of Islam. In order for one to know whether a certain game is within the boundaries of Islam one has to spend a lot of time researching and finding out and then there is still no certainty if the game is ok. Instead we can do so many more things which we can benefit from too and were not risking our imaan at the same time.

and Allah knows best
:wasalamex

Brother, what makes you think that you won't get rewarded for this research that you'll do for a halaal game. Remember the Hadith in which Rasoolullah :saws: said that a man gets rewarded even for having intercourse with his wife just because he took the halaal way to fulfill his desire. Similarly, if you work on finding a source of entertainment which is not haraam, will it not please Allah? Will it not be called Jihad? :statisfie

Hamza Asadullah
12-16-2009, 06:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali_008
:wasalamex

Brother, what makes you think that you won't get rewarded for this research that you'll do for a halaal game. Remember the Hadith in which Rasoolullah :saws: said that a man gets rewarded even for having intercourse with his wife just because he took the halaal way to fulfill his desire. Similarly, if you work on finding a source of entertainment which is not haraam, will it not please Allah? Will it not be called Jihad? :statisfie
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, Jihad of the nafs is when one controls ones desires, therefore getting rid of your games console which does more harm than good and wastes a significant amount of one's precious time and effort would be jihad of the nafs because one can spend that precious time and effort on more fruitful and worthwhile pursuits which will actually benefit one in the hereafter.

and Allah knows best

*charisma*
12-16-2009, 06:49 PM
Assalamu Alaikum

Brother, if you feel that it does not benefit you, and that you can do better things with your time and if it is going against your conscience, which it seems like it is, then it is best for you to just leave it and obey your conscience. I don't doubt that there are games which would be considered haram, because there definitely are, and there are some halaal games as well...but if you know you're not going to be playing the halaal games since mashallah you have the knowledge of which types of games are permissible and which ones arent, then it is best to do what you know is right to do.

I think you're mentally prepared if your friends choose to leave you because you know that everything you're doing is to please Allah and not the people around you. You can be an example to them inshallah, and maybe you can be a source towards their guidance....who knows? What type of friends do you want to rise with you on the day of Qiyamaa?

fi aman allah
wsalaam

eesa the kiwi
01-13-2016, 08:47 AM
ok bumping a real old thread coz it came up when i googled something

i dont really watch tv, in the evenings i like to either read a book or play xbox if im not busy with stuff. today i was playing assasins creed and in it was images of uncovered women. not lewd or anything but showed face and hair. i was like subhannallah i try lower my gaze in real life should i be avoiding these games too
problem is aside from racing games i dont have many games without female characters so it will limit my library of them quite a lot. i already mute the music

im not asking for opinions because that was something i hated about christianity (you ask a question and get an opinion in response instead of an answer. actually if you ask ten christians the same question you usually get ten different answers) but im hoping someone will either know the answer or be able to direct me too a fatwa site with info on this
jazak allah khair for reading

Saleem Khan
01-13-2016, 09:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by eesa the kiwi
ok bumping a real old thread coz it came up when i googled something

i dont really watch tv, in the evenings i like to either read a book or play xbox if im not busy with stuff. today i was playing assasins creed and in it was images of uncovered women. not lewd or anything but showed face and hair. i was like subhannallah i try lower my gaze in real life should i be avoiding these games too
problem is aside from racing games i dont have many games without female characters so it will limit my library of them quite a lot. i already mute the music

im not asking for opinions because that was something i hated about christianity (you ask a question and get an opinion in response instead of an answer. actually if you ask ten christians the same question you usually get ten different answers) but im hoping someone will either know the answer or be able to direct me too a fatwa site with info on this
jazak allah khair for reading
Video games are impermissible due to the following reasons,
1. It is impermissible for adults to engage in (lahw wa la'ib) futile things.
2. Many games contain music and music is severely prohibited in Islam.
3. Most games contain vulgarity and immorality. Things that are haraam and extremely harmful to a Muslim's imaan.
4. Games contain pictures and the prophet (peace be upon him) has cursed picture makers.

Vidoes games are only permitted FOR CHILDREN with the following conditions.

1. No music.
2. No immorality
3. No vulgarity or profanity.
4. Or any other issue that is against islamic values.

Although with the above conditions it is permitted for children to play video games, it is best to avoid them and parents should encourage children to involve themselves in beneficial activities for example sports and educational games etc.

Under no circumstances should a Muslim adult play video games. Every second of our time is an amaanah (trust of Allah) which should be spent in acquiring closeness to Allah and earning jannah not spending it in futile games. If one feels the need to pass time, do something beneficial like sports or educational games.

Sorry for the long reply.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.