PDA

View Full Version : What if you had cancer?



جوري
12-09-2009, 03:12 AM
:sl:

I would like to know to know if you'd do all you can or just try to live out the rest of your days to the fullest?

A patient of my sr. died on Wednesday, the lady had cancer but she actually died due to a direct doctor error by a physician who was called as a consultant on the case, not her primary oncologist.. she was fairly young, she had teenage kids.. It was horrific..
her case isn't really the reason I am posing the question since I believe we all die when it is time to die by the means that Allah swt chooses.. however I just want to know if you'd seek aggressive medical treatment or just live out your days in a particular style?


:wa:
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
syilla
12-09-2009, 05:11 AM
:salamext:

some cancer are very painful...and i can't just imagine living with it.

I don't really know how to reply...probably when i have crossed the bridge.
All i know is that I'm now already trying hard to survive and cope with everything (it seems i'm complaining...huhu, please ignore me).

My own principles i guess... to survive the day...others are not to worry too much. huhu
Reply

جوري
12-09-2009, 05:17 AM
Originally Posted by syilla
:salamext:

some cancer are very painful...and i can't just imagine living with it.

I don't really know how to reply...probably when i have crossed the bridge.
All i know is that I'm now already trying hard to survive and cope with everything (it seems i'm complaining...huhu, please ignore me).

My own principles i guess... to survive the day...others are not to worry too much. huhu

I can't ignore you, I missed you too much.. happy to have you back..

treatment doesn't equal pain relief.. you remember our beloved Eli (snakelegs) all she had were pain med/comfort measures only but she didn't want to bother with aggressive treatment, she was very terminal at that stage.. may Allah swt save us such horrors..

Being around sick and dying people all the time, has really depressed me you know.. sometimes it is all I can think about.. I want to see children and sunshine sometimes but for some reason even that is marred by visions of death from which no one is exempt ...

hard to imagine that.. but that is life...


Reply

جوري
12-09-2009, 05:20 AM
I believe the second child is from GAZA?

http://www.smileofhope.org/wo/?p=24&cpage=1#comment-17
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
syilla
12-09-2009, 08:08 AM
i miss you too... muahsss

I onced had a cousin who have cancer, he was only 12 years old. It was so sad watching him in pain...the few months of his last days he had to sleep while sitting because of the pain :(
Reply

Argamemnon
12-09-2009, 12:36 PM
I don't care about this worldly life, so I would welcome death. Didn't know you were a doctor, I could never handle the stress..
Reply

S_87
12-09-2009, 12:51 PM
it depends on the chances of survival i guess. and my age.
Reply

cat eyes
12-09-2009, 04:51 PM
:sl:don't know whether id take the treatment or not i honestly don't know whether thats haraam or halal i am in two minds i suppose watching my mother going through that dreadful treatment made me physically sick myself watching your own mother in that state being so weak that she could not even cut her own nails. seven years of treatment and it did not do her any good and ended up in an early grave at the age of only 37years old..

so much complication happened also thats been covered up doctors made mistakes with her. operating on her when finding out years later there was no need for surgery in the first place and that made the whole thing worse made my father absolutely crazy, demented. i suppose thats why i feel so strongly about it but you do what you can to stay alive for you kids right? i guess i cannot even say anything because i don't even have kids but all i know is i went through hell and depression started with me around the age of 12years not because of her actual dead but watching her suffer.

may Allah give us health Ameen:wa:
Reply

Supreme
12-09-2009, 05:14 PM
On my list of the worst things that could medically happen to me, having cancer is up there along with blindness and loosing control of my legs/arms. Cancer is the foremost enemy of humankind, it is time we fought back at the murdering ******* and taught it a thing or two about medicine! I would honestly have no problem with money on other things, such as space and technology, being diverted and spent on finding a definitive treament to this evil, murdering illness.
Reply

UmmSqueakster
12-09-2009, 05:26 PM
I really think this is something that you don't really know what to do until you're actually put in that situation.

A few years back, my uncle was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer. Basically no chance of being cured, but could prolong his life with treatment. He wasn't expected to live more than a year. With agressive treatment, he lived 3. In that time, he and my aunt traveled the world, and had a chance to spend time with those he loved. When the treatment got to be too much, he stopped it, and died at home surrounded by friends and family.

If I had a choice, that's the way I'd do it. But that's from my perspective sitting here now. Only Allah (swt) knows how I'd actually react in that situation.
Reply

CosmicPathos
12-09-2009, 08:40 PM
I would become depressed and fall into nihilism. Probably extreme skepticism too. Hence, I often ask Allah to let me die as a believer and for that it is necessary that I dont get any terminal disease. let's see what Allah's plans are.
Reply

UmmSqueakster
12-09-2009, 08:44 PM
I actually would like to look at a terminal illness as a blessing from Allah (swt) - if you know you only have this much time left, you can definitely make sure that you get your life in order and make lots and lots of tawbah.

If you die suddenly, there's no chance for tawbah.
Reply

CosmicPathos
12-09-2009, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by UmmSqueakster
I actually would like to look at a terminal illness as a blessing from Allah (swt) - if you know you only have this much time left, you can definitely make sure that you get your life in order and make lots and lots of tawbah.

If you die suddenly, there's no chance for tawbah.
True, that is another way of looking at it. For me, knowing that I am dying slowly and slowly while people around me are rejoicing their life would not bring much happiness, it would be a source of depression. I dont know. I guess it just depends on the amount of faith in Allah. I do ask Allah that I get a death which is free of pain...
Reply

Danah
12-09-2009, 08:52 PM
If there is a halal medication available then surly I will try my best to survive, The prophet said in the hadeeth: "Allah didn't create an illness without a medication....etc".....and of course the surrounding will be considered as well according to the type of cancer and such...It will be a test anyways for me.

At the end everyone is will die on his decided hour.

May Allah save us all.
Reply

_PakistaN_
12-13-2009, 05:31 AM
Don't care about the Dunya life. I'm better dying then living anyways.
Reply

CosmicPathos
12-13-2009, 05:35 AM
Originally Posted by _PakistaN_
Don't care about the Dunya life. I'm better dying then living anyways.
WHy are you so willing to die? Are you ready to face Allah for your accountability? Are you convinced that your good deeds overcome bad deeds? Just a food for thought.
Reply

_PakistaN_
12-13-2009, 05:59 AM
Originally Posted by Wa7abiScientist
WHy are you so willing to die? Are you ready to face Allah for your accountability? Are you convinced that your good deeds overcome bad deeds? Just a food for thought.
ummm. when did I say I was willing to die. I said if I had cancer I wouldn't really care( but heck I'll be begging for the forgiveness of Allah)... don't try to argue and make some non scence reply that doesn't even fit in my post.

but yeah, when I hear how a certain muslim comites suicide i think the same thing, how can u commit suicide(sin) and then meet Allah after that. don't they know about the punishment and so on.
Reply

CosmicPathos
12-13-2009, 06:09 AM
Originally Posted by _PakistaN_
ummm. when did I say I was willing to die. I said if I had cancer I wouldn't really care( but heck I'll be begging for the forgiveness of Allah)... don't try to argue and make some non scence reply that doesn't even fit in my post.

but yeah, when I hear how a certain muslim comites suicide i think the same thing, how can u commit suicide(sin) and then meet Allah after that. don't they know about the punishment and so on.
sorry, you didnt mention in response to cancer. I mis-read. I ask for apologies.
Reply

Blackpool
12-13-2009, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
:sl:

I would like to know to know if you'd do all you can or just try to live out the rest of your days to the fullest?

A patient of my sr. died on Wednesday, the lady had cancer but she actually died due to a direct doctor error by a physician who was called as a consultant on the case, not her primary oncologist.. she was fairly young, she had teenage kids.. It was horrific..
her case isn't really the reason I am posing the question since I believe we all die when it is time to die by the means that Allah swt chooses.. however I just want to know if you'd seek aggressive medical treatment or just live out your days in a particular style?


:wa:
I would get out a loan and then travel the world, have as much fun as possible with my family and girlfriend. Sitting in the house feeling sorry for myself is something I WOULDN'T do...
Reply

Al-Zaara
12-13-2009, 10:00 PM
InshaAllah we'll not have an answer for that with experience.

To be a burden of such to my family, and myself, would be pretty horrible, subhanAllah. I'd seek help, because total submission to it would make me feel as if I had gone suicidal. If the chances are I could survive, that is.

JazakAllah kheyr for the work you do as a doctor, sister.
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 09-22-2009, 02:52 PM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-11-2007, 11:22 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-26-2007, 11:01 AM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!