/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Computer Science?

Beardo
12-09-2009, 04:06 AM
Any of you know anything about Computer Science?

Do you like it?

Is it your major? Are you currently studying it?

I don't like Math or Science. Yet, my current major is Computer Science.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
AabiruSabeel
12-09-2009, 05:03 AM
:sl:

Computer Science? It was my favourite subject.

Mohamed_
12-09-2009, 05:14 AM
I don't know what you mean under Computer Science. But I study 3 different ways of information technology.

Application development: I study how to program programs (learning the programming languages to make programs with).

Information technology: On this class I study about the software- and hardware part.

Office technic: Here I study what those things what you've take care about in your job. Also the teacher teaches me how to send mails in real life, and other things...

Hayaa
12-09-2009, 05:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
Any of you know anything about Computer Science?

Do you like it?

Is it your major? Are you currently studying it?

I don't like Math or Science. Yet, my current major is Computer Science.
Why did you choose it?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Beardo
12-09-2009, 05:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hayaa
Why did you choose it?
Who said I chose it? :ermm:

You see, I have a simple explanation when people ask me my major. My parents are desi; I am desi.

Hmm... Brother AabiruSabeel, do you have a degree in it by any chance?

I've spoken to dozens of people who have graduated in CS, and so far nobody has given me a positive response in regards to it.

nightingale
12-09-2009, 06:43 AM
It was my major and I loved it :-)

Beardo
12-09-2009, 07:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by nightingale
It was my major and I loved it :-)
Oh. :hmm:

You're the first.

Well no, second.

GuestFellow
12-09-2009, 05:21 PM
You really need to choose a subject that you want to do. You are gonna find this BORING if you don't like science/maths. It will be you who has to sit down, study and do the exams. No one else.

Uthman
12-09-2009, 05:38 PM
:salamext:

I'm currently studying for a degree in Computer Science and Maths. It's challenging, but I do enjoy it.

Danah
12-09-2009, 05:49 PM
MashaAllah more and more IT people in LI :)

My major was IS (Information Systems) you can say that there is a lot of computer science on it, but basically its closer to Business.

IT studies in general are fun and useful.

Beardo
12-09-2009, 06:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Uthmān
:salamext:

I'm currently studying for a degree in Computer Science and Maths. It's challenging, but I do enjoy it.
You know what.

I'm taking a course this semester related to CS inshallah. I'll take it and see if I like it.

Is there a lot of Math involved? :[

I don't wanna do it but my parents have a point in saying it'll help me with the things I do.

I was considering Econ and Statistics.

I'll give CS a try. :/

duas requested. :[

GuestFellow
12-09-2009, 07:49 PM
I studied Statistics for AS. It is not a hard subject, though probability may be a difficult concept to grasp. I'm not sure, some students found probability easy while others found it confusing.

Most of the content is basic number crunching and the stuff you will be dealing is things like:

The Normal Distribution
The Binomial Distribution
The Poisson Distribution
Sampling
Hypothesis Testing
One and Two Tailed Tests
Mean, Mode, Median and Range

There is not much algebra in Statistics either. You use a calculator a lot so the questions are not that hard, does not quite a lot of thinking but you need to be aware of the procedure to answer the questions.

Hugo
12-10-2009, 01:22 PM
You know what. I'm taking a course this semester related to CS inshallah. I'll take it and see if I like it.

Is there a lot of Math involved? :[I don't wanna do it but my parents have a point in saying it'll help me with the things I do.

I'll give CS a try. :/

duas requested. :[
There are parts of computer science where maths is involved but mostly this is what is known as DISCRETE Mathematics - sets, counting, subsets and designs, classification, modular arithmetic, algorithms and efficiency, Graphs (these are NOT the sort where you plot X against Y), sorting and searching, Trees (a graph) network flows, recursion, groups, error correcting codes etc.

You must be totally confident in ordinary algebra otherwise all the above can get very messy for you.

Danah
12-10-2009, 01:30 PM
^ ooh Discrete Mathematics?? I really hate that course when I took it 3 years ago. I don't know how on earth I got an A on that course till now :hmm:

Alhumdulilah that it was one course to take instead of being a major. Br Rashad Don't take this as a discouragement but I really hate it, maybe because of the Professor!

MSalman
12-11-2009, 08:04 PM
as-salamu alaykum

I am 3rd year BCS - liked it from the very start (grade 10) but now it is very challenging so I am going to replace my major with my minor (Economics). What hugo described is exactly what mostly is covered in CS; however, as you go in upper years it gets complicated.

Too advance CS isn't really required to be a typical developer; however, it is very beneficial if you are planing for software engineering side development. CS means you become a computer scientist which mostly covers typical developer skills but when you start working it seems as if you learned nothing in school.

In order to survive, you have to be good in discrete math - algorithm analysis, efficiency proves etc. get pretty ugly in 2nd year onward. However, most of the times the kind of courses you take and difficulty level is dependent upon university/college.

Beardo
12-17-2009, 01:08 AM
Alpha Dude & IslamicLife:

I love Algebra. But I don't like geometry/trigonometry.... Do I need to know that poop for CS?

Hugo
12-17-2009, 01:15 PM
Alpha Dude & IslamicLife:

I love Algebra. But I don't like geometry/trigonometry.... Do I need to know that poop for CS?
It is unlikely these are part of the course but if you choose some graphics modules you may well find that you need this kind of stuff to understand what is going on and how certain things work.

I would caution you about regarding anything as 'poop' because you will upset people who think that stuff is good (and it is) and perhaps worse you are tending to define the subject area in a way that suits you not in a way that shows you are ready to learn and of course who can say for sure how a subject will develop over the next few years.

I<3Bush
12-17-2009, 01:43 PM
The best thing to do would be to sit down with a counselor or just take a peek at the school catalog to see the required classes for the program or degree your going for.

Beardo
12-17-2009, 04:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by I<3Bush
The best thing to do would be to sit down with a counselor or just take a peek at the school catalog to see the required classes for the program or degree your going for.
I love that advice, but I already tried it. The only thing counselors will say is to take a counseling course and then shoo you out of their office.
format_quote Originally Posted by Hugo
It is unlikely these are part of the course but if you choose some graphics modules you may well find that you need this kind of stuff to understand what is going on and how certain things work.

I would caution you about regarding anything as 'poop' because you will upset people who think that stuff is good (and it is) and perhaps worse you are tending to define the subject area in a way that suits you not in a way that shows you are ready to learn and of course who can say for sure how a subject will develop over the next few years.
You're right. May Allah Ta'ala forgive me. As well as anyone who was offended .

zhr_008
12-17-2009, 08:29 PM
I studying now CS and I loved it very much
C C++ Java
Pascal
algorithms
data structure

i like all things

Danah
12-21-2009, 10:52 AM
^ I thought that Pascal is an old language. Is it still used in programming these days?

Raaina
12-21-2009, 11:20 AM
I studied Computer Studies at university, with the exception of computer arcitecture which I really struggled to get to grips with I loved it! It was a good mix of programming modules and business modules :)

Banu_Hashim
12-21-2009, 11:30 AM
My dad did his bachelors and masters degree in Computer Science and as he naturally loves Matheamatics I assumed he liked doing his degrees. Lots of maths involved as far as I know. And it can get very complicated but at the very advanced levels it can be very interesting, e.g. Neural networks, Expert systems, Cryptology etc. etc. It's a fascinating subject but to be honest but you do need a grounding in Maths I'm afraid. No way aound it.

Why are you doing a degree just to please your parents? You have to be doing a subject you like at the very least otherwise there's a chance you will not do as well as you hoped. And being desi is not an excuse!! You're not the only desi living in this world :P

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.