/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Islam and Beards

tommtomm
12-09-2009, 01:04 PM
Salam to you all.
I have a question that I am having trouble finding an answer to, and was hoping you could help me.
1.Does anyone have any reference in the Quran or in Hadeeth that tells of how much Allah loves Beards?
2. How many centimetres do you have to grow it for maximum Hasanat?

I would love to find out about this, I hope you can help.

Thanks to you all.

Salam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
tommtomm
01-12-2010, 11:01 AM
Hi there again,
No one seems to know about this.
I really would like to know about this, if someone could help me find the answer I would greatly appreciate it.

I don't have any facial hair and a friend of mine said that its part of being a muslim to grow a beard.

As I don't think it looks good on me I wanted to find out what Islam really says about this topic but even after 6 weeks I have no reference that clearly says that it is a must to be a muslim.

Salam to you all.

sirajstc
01-12-2010, 11:05 AM
Praise be to Allaah.

The Sunnah of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) – regarding both his commands to others and his own actions – is to let the beard grow. It was proven that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) commanded men to leave the beard alone and let it grow naturally. Al-Bukhaari, Muslim and others narrated that ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Trim the moustache and leave the beard.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5443; Muslim, 600. According to another report: ‘Be different from the mushrikeen: cut the moustache and let the beard grow.” Narrated by Muslim, 602.

Praise be to Allaah.

There is no recommended or specified length of the beard, because nothing to that effect has been narrated from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). What has been reported is that the beard should be left as it is.

Muslim (2344) reported that Jaabir ibn Samurah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to have a very hairy beard.”

An-Nisaa’ (5232) reported from al-Baraa’ that he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) had a thick beard; according to another report, he had a bushy beard; according to another report, he had a wide beard.

Some scholars permit cutting the hair of the beard that exceeds the amount that may be grasped in the fist, because Ibn ‘Umar did this; but most of the scholars regard this as makrooh, which is more apparent because of the reports referred to above.

Al-Nawawi said: the best is to leave it as it is and not touch it or shorten it at all. (Tuhfat al-Ahwadhi, 8/39).

- As for the hadeeth, “He used to reduce the length and width (of his beard)” – this is a false and fabricated hadeeth.

See al-‘Ilal al-Mutanaahiyah by Ibn al-Jawzi, 2/686

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Indeed in the Messenger of Allaah (Muhammad) you have a good example to follow for him who hopes for (the Meeting with) Allaah and the Last Day…” [al-Ahzaab 33:21]

“And whatsoever the Messenger (Muhammad) gives you, take it; and whatsoever he forbids you, abstain (from it).” [al-Hashr 59:7]

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah preserve him) said: The definition of the beard as stated by the scholars of (Arabic) language is: the hair of the face, jawbone and cheeks, in the sense that all the hair on the cheeks, jawbone and chin is part of the beard and removing any of it is counted as a sin, because the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Let your beards grow,” “Leave your beards alone,” “Let your beards increase,” “Let your beards be full.” This indicates that it is not permissible to remove anything from the beard. But the sin may vary in degree – shaving the beard is worse than shortening it, because it is a more obvious contradiction of the Sunnah.

For more information, see Question # 1189.

And Allaah knows best

sirajstc
01-12-2010, 11:06 AM
Ruling on shaving the beard
What is the ruling on shaving the beard or removing part of it?

Praise be to Allaah.

Shaving the beard is haraam because of the saheeh ahaadeeth that clearly state this, and because of the general application of texts that forbid resembling the kuffaar. One of these reports is the hadeeth of Ibn ‘Umar who said that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Be different from the mushrikeen: let your beards grow and trim your moustaches.” According to another report: “Trim your moustaches and let your beards grow.” There are other hadeeth which convey the same meaning, which is to leave the beard as it is and let it grow long, without shaving, plucking or cutting any part of it. Ibn Hazm reported that there was scholarly consensus that it is an obligation (fard) to trim the moustache and let the beard grow. He quoted a number of ahaadeeth as evidence, including the hadeeth of Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) quoted above, and the hadeeth of Zayd ibn Arqam in which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever does not remove any of his moustache is not one of us.” (Classed as saheeh by al-Tirmidhi). Ibn Hazm said in al-Furoo’: “This is the way of our colleagues [i.e., the Hanbalis].”

Is it haraam (to shave it)? Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “The Qur’aan, Sunnah and ijmaa’ (scholarly consensus) all indicate that we must differ from the kuffaar in all aspects and not imitate them, because imitating them on the outside will make us imitate them in their bad deeds and habits, and even in beliefs, which will result in befriending them in our hearts, just as loving them in our hearts will lead to imitating them on the outside. Al-Tirmidhi reported that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “He is not one of us who imitates people other than us. Do not imitate the Jews and Christians.” According to another version: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.” (Reported by Imaam Ahmad) ‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab rejected the testimony of the person who plucked his beard. Imaam Ibn ‘Abd al-Barr said in al-Tamheed: “It is forbidden to shave the beard, and no one does this except men who are effeminate” i.e., those who imitate women. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) had a thick beard (reported by Muslim from Jaabir). It is not permitted to remove any part of the beard because of the general meaning of the texts which forbid doing so.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
tommtomm
01-12-2010, 05:37 PM
Salam, Thank you for helping me in my research sirajstc.
I do have a worrying question though, after reading what you have said.
you mentioned two words to me.
That shaving is makrooh and then later on that it is Haraam.
I tried searching for the origional arabic versions of the hadeeth that you have mentioned but with not luck.
In the arabic hadeth does it say haraam or makrooh.
This is important because they are two different things and should not be mixed together.
A man can divorce his wife and that is makrooh but it is not haraam.
Could you clarify which one is shaving.

I agree with what you said the beard should be trimmed at least.
"Ina Allah yehib al jamaaal" translating to that god loves beautiy.

Salam

CosmicPathos
01-12-2010, 05:48 PM
"beard does not look good on me." Isnt beard a part of your body? Accept it. It grows from your body. Are you ready to accept that something "ugly" grows out from your body? Stop following Western standards of beauty created by impotent men with no facial hair.

Cabdullahi
01-12-2010, 06:08 PM
If you always say what will others think if it looks errr on me you'll never grow a beard despite the proof given to you that its essential...you can only grow a beard when its for the sake of allah

so forget what the ladies think!

tommtomm
01-13-2010, 12:20 PM
Salam to you all.
An interesting point you made Wa7abiScientist but I have to disagree.
Toe nails, armpit hair and for lack of a better word Bogies are also a part of us but we remove them, not only for hygiene but because it looks bad.
And I also have to again disagree, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What I like is probably not what you like. As illustrated in Art, movies and fashion.

Also Abdullahii you said that it is essential, do you mean spiritually or more of a divide to say that we are like this and you are like that.

But more to the point please let me know, does it in the hadeth say shaving is makrooh or haraam.
and if so please could you tell me who wrote it. I really would appreciate any help on my hunt for the truth.
Peace to you all brothers and sisters.

Seekpeace
01-27-2010, 05:42 AM
Selam can someone please provide verses from the Quran on beard ruling? I see alot of stress based on not to imitiate the non-muslims. However these days beards are grown by anyone. Was this hadith transmitted for the people of that time?

format_quote Originally Posted by sirajstc
Ruling on shaving the beard
What is the ruling on shaving the beard or removing part of it?

Praise be to Allaah.

Shaving the beard is haraam because of the saheeh ahaadeeth that clearly state this, and because of the general application of texts that forbid resembling the kuffaar. One of these reports is the hadeeth of Ibn ‘Umar who said that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Be different from the mushrikeen: let your beards grow and trim your moustaches.” According to another report: “Trim your moustaches and let your beards grow.” There are other hadeeth which convey the same meaning, which is to leave the beard as it is and let it grow long, without shaving, plucking or cutting any part of it. Ibn Hazm reported that there was scholarly consensus that it is an obligation (fard) to trim the moustache and let the beard grow. He quoted a number of ahaadeeth as evidence, including the hadeeth of Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) quoted above, and the hadeeth of Zayd ibn Arqam in which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever does not remove any of his moustache is not one of us.” (Classed as saheeh by al-Tirmidhi). Ibn Hazm said in al-Furoo’: “This is the way of our colleagues [i.e., the Hanbalis].”

Is it haraam (to shave it)? Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “The Qur’aan, Sunnah and ijmaa’ (scholarly consensus) all indicate that we must differ from the kuffaar in all aspects and not imitate them, because imitating them on the outside will make us imitate them in their bad deeds and habits, and even in beliefs, which will result in befriending them in our hearts, just as loving them in our hearts will lead to imitating them on the outside. Al-Tirmidhi reported that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “He is not one of us who imitates people other than us. Do not imitate the Jews and Christians.” According to another version: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.” (Reported by Imaam Ahmad) ‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab rejected the testimony of the person who plucked his beard. Imaam Ibn ‘Abd al-Barr said in al-Tamheed: “It is forbidden to shave the beard, and no one does this except men who are effeminate” i.e., those who imitate women. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) had a thick beard (reported by Muslim from Jaabir). It is not permitted to remove any part of the beard because of the general meaning of the texts which forbid doing so.

hanif_
01-27-2010, 08:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Seekpeace
Selam can someone please provide verses from the Quran on beard ruling? I see alot of stress based on not to imitiate the non-muslims. However these days beards are grown by anyone. Was this hadith transmitted for the people of that time?

Maintaining the Characteristics of the Fitrah

Since Almighty Allah made all human beings swear to His Unique Divinity and Lordship when He created Adam this oath is printed on the human soul even before it enters the mother's fetus. So when a child is born, it has with it a natural belief in Allah. This natural belief is called in Arabic the "fitrah". If a child were left alone, it would grow up aware of Almighty Allah in His Unity, but all children are affected by the pressures of their environment.

# 7:172 (Y. Ali) When thy Lord drew forth from the Children of Adam - from their loins - their descendants, and made them testify concerning themselves, (saying): "Am I not your Lord (who cherishes and sustains you)?"- They said: "Yea! We do testify!" (This), lest ye should say on the Day of Judgment: "Of this we were never mindful":

Narrated Abu Huraira : Allah's Apostle said, "Every child is born with a true faith of Islam (i.e. to worship none but Allah Alone) but his parents convert him to Judaism, Christianity or Magainism, as an animal delivers a perfect baby animal. Do you find it mutilated?" Then Abu Huraira recited the holy verses: "The pure Allah's Islamic nature (true faith of Islam) (i.e. worshipping none but Allah) with which He has created human beings. No change let there be in the religion of Allah (i.e. joining none in worship with Allah). That is the straight religion (Islam) but most of men know, not." (SURAH RUM 30:30) [Sahih al-Bukhari, Volume 2, Book 23, Number 441]

It is obligatory for all Muslims to bind ourselves to the teachings of the Book of Allah (i.e. the Qur'an) and the authentic sayings of His Messenger Muhammad, (SAWS). By the light of these teachings we should live and their guidance we should adopt in all of our affairs. In regards to this, Almighty Allah the Most High and Exalted, says in the Qur'an:

33:36 (Y. Ali) It is not fitting for a Believer, man or woman, when a matter has been decided by Allah and His Messenger to have any option about their decision: if any one disobeys Allah and His Messenger, he is indeed on a clearly wrong Path.

59:7 (Y. Ali) What Allah has bestowed on His Messenger (and taken away) from the people of the townships,- belongs to Allah,- to His Messenger and to kindred and orphans, the needy and the wayfarer; In order that it may not (merely) make a circuit between the wealthy among you. So take what the Messenger assigns to you, and deny yourselves that which he withholds from you. And fear Allah. for Allah is strict in Punishment.

5:92 (Y. Ali) Obey Allah, and obey the Messenger, and beware (of evil): if ye do turn back, know ye that it is Our Messenger's duty to proclaim (the message) in the clearest manner.

4:64 (Y. Ali) We sent not an apostle, but to be obeyed, in accordance with the will of Allah. If they had only, when they were unjust to themselves, come unto thee and asked Allah's forgiveness, and the Messenger had asked forgiveness for them, they would have found Allah indeed Oft-returning, Most Merciful.

4:13 (Y. Ali) Those are limits set by Allah. those who obey Allah and His Messenger will be admitted to Gardens with rivers flowing beneath, to abide therein (for ever) and that will be the supreme achievement.

The fitrah is the natural inclination to worship Allah alone, and it includes compliance with what Allah and His Messenger explained to be from the characteristics of fitrah. The acts of fitrah are specific features which God has created in man and found within his natural tendency to like as well as to dislike what contradicts these acts. The great Islamic scholar al-Sayyuti said: "The best explanation of fitrah is that it is the Sunnah (way) of all of the Prophets which is in agreement with (all of) the revealed Laws, indicating that it is a response to naturally created inclinations. In the Holy Quran, Almighty Allah, the Most High and Exalted, has identified the pure fitrah with which He created mankind:

Sahih Al-Bukhari Volume 7, Book 72, Number 777:

Narrated Abu Huraira:

Allah's Apostle said, "Five practices are characteristics of the Fitra: circumcision, shaving the pubic region, clipping the nails and cutting the moustaches short."

Sahih Al-Bukhari Volume 7, Book 72, Number 780:

Narrated Nafi':

Ibn Umar said, The Prophet said, 'Do the opposite of what the pagans do. Keep the beards and cut the moustaches short.' Whenever Ibn 'Umar performed the Hajj or 'Umra, he used to hold his beard with his hand and cut whatever moustaches. Ibn Umar used to cut his moustache so short that the whiteness of his skin (above the upper lip) was visible, and he used to cut (the hair) between his moustaches and his beard.

Sahih Al-Bukhari Volume 7, Book 72, Number 781:

Narrated Ibn 'Umar:

Allah's Apostle said, "Cut the moustaches short and leave the beard (as it is)."

Salahudeen
03-15-2010, 01:15 AM
Position of the Scholars

All the ‘ulama’ (scholars) of as-Salaf us-Salih (the Righteous early Muslims),
including the Four Imams, agree that shaving the beard is haram (prohibited). They consider shaving it an impermissible mutilation, as has been reported from Umar Bin Abdul Aziz- [At-Tarikh by Ibn Asakir]. They considered the man who shaved his beard effeminate. Many of them would not accept his testimony or allow him to lead the prayers.

CONTEMPORARY SCHOLARS

The great scholars of our time have expressed that it is prohibited to shave
the beard or cut it short. Among those are Ali Mahfuz, Muhammad Nasir ud-Din al-Albani, Abd ul-Aziz Bin Baz, al-Kandahlawi, Abu Bakr al-Jaza’iri,
Ismail al-Ansari, and many others.

WRONGS OF SHAVING THE BEARD

Shaving the beard results in a series of Islamic violations, among which are
the following:

1. Disobedience to Allah

Shaving the beard is an act of disobedience to Allah, as is expressed in the
words of His Messenger !, Abu Hurayrah reported that

"the ruler of Yemen,appointed by the Persian emperor Kisra, sent two envoys
to the Messenger !. When they came into his presence, he noticed that they had shaved their beards and let their moustaches grow big. Hating their ugly appearance, he turned his face away and said, “Woe be to you, who told you to do so?” They replied: “Our lord (Kisra) did!” The Messenger responded: “But my Lord, exalted and glorified be He, has commanded me to spare my beard and trim my moustaches.” [Recorded by Ibn Jarir at-Tabari, IbnSa’d, and Ibn Bishran. Verified to be hasan (good) by al-Albani (Fiqh
us-Sirah by al-Ghazali p. 359)]

2. Disobedience to the Messenger

Shaving the beard is an act of disobedience to the Messenger ! who
commanded the men to spare their beards in many hadiths. Ibn Umar (may
Allah be pleased with them) reported that Allah's Messenger ! said:
“Closely trim the moustaches, and spare the beard.”[Al-Bukhari, Muslim and others]. Obeying the Messenger ! is equivalent to obeying Allah:

“He who obeys the Messenger has obeyed Allah; and as for those who turn away: We have not sent you as a guardian over them.” [An-Nisa 4:80

3. Deviation from the Guidance of the Messenger

There is no doubt that Allah’s Messenger ! is the best example of a man, both
in his appearance and actions. Allah says: “There has certainly been for you in the Messenger of Allah an excellent pattern - for anyone whose hope is
in Allah and the Last Day, and who remembers Allah often.” [An-Nisa' 4:80]

And Jabir " reported that Allah's Messenger ! said: “Verily, the best guidance is Muhammad's guidance.” [Recorded by Muslim]. Jabir Bin Samurah " reported that Allah's Messenger ! had a large beard [Recorded by Muslim]. Shaving the beard clearly exhibits a deviation from his appearance and guidance.

4. Deviation from the Way of Believers

One must strive to follow the ways of the believers and identify with them.
This is an obligation expressed by Allah: “Whoever opposes the Messenger, after guidance has become clear to him, and follows other than the way
of the ‘Believers’, We will give him what he has chosen and let him into Hell: What an evil destination!” [an-Nisa 4:115]

Note: The description ‘Believers’ in the ayah applies first and foremost to the
Sahabah [the Prophet's companions-May Allah be pleased with them all]
All of the prophets (alaihis-salaam), the Sahabah (the Prophet's companions), the great ‘ulama’, and the righteous Salaf (early Muslims) of
this Ummah (Nation) grew their beards.

There is no report of a single one of them selectively shaving his beard. -For example, Allah tells us that Harun (alaihis-salaam) addressed his brother Musa (alaihis-salaam) as follows: He said, “O son of my mother! Do not hold me by my beard or head.” [Ta-Ha 20:94]

Furthermore, there are authentic reports indicating that the Rightly Guided
Successors, as well as other sahabah and tabi'un had large beards. Abu Bakr
" had a thick beard [Qut ul-Qulub 4:9], Umar " had a big beard [Al-Isabah
2:511], Uthman had a large beard [Al-Isabah 2:455], and Ali's beard was so wide as to span the distance between his shoulders [At-Tabaqat (3:25) by Ibn Sa’d], Therefore, shaving the beard exhibits a clear deviation from the way of the believers.

6. Changing Allah's Creation Without Permission

Except for cases that are expressly indicated in Islam, it is prohibited to
change the way that Allah has created things. Changing Allah's creation
without permission involves obeying Satan who, as Allah tells us, had said:

“They actually call upon none but rebellious Satan, whom Allah has cursed. And he had said (to Allah), “I will surely take from among Your servants a specific portion. I will mislead them, give them false promises, command them so they will slit the ears of cattle, and command them so they will change the
creation of Allah.” Certainly, whoever takes Satan as an ally instead of Allah is in tremendous loss.” [an-Nisa 4:117~119]

Allah has honored the human beings and fashioned them in the best form:
“Verily, We have created the human being in the best of stature.” [At-Tin 95:4]

Changing this without permission is indeed an act of great atrocity and deviation that deserves punishment. The Messenger ! has declared that the women who change what Allah has created (such as removing their facial hair, wearing wigs, filing their teeth, or tattooing their bodies) seeking by that to improve their appearance, are accursed by Allah.

Ibn Mas'ud " reported that Allah's Messenger ! said: “Allah curses those (women) who tattoo (for others) and those who get tattoos, those who pluck the facial hair (for others) and those who have their facial hair plucked, those who connect their hair with other (fake) hair, and those who file their teeth for beauty - they all change Allah's creation.” [al-Bukhari and Muslim]

This hadith mentions women in particular because they normally seek to
beautify themselves more than men. But the warning applies to both genders,
because the condition for the curse is declared: changing Allah's creation.
Thus the curse applies to anyone who satisfies such condition. Shaving the beard falls under this warning, as it is much worse than ‘nams’ - (removal of facial hair) practiced by some women.

At-Tahanawi said: “It is established that changing Allah's creation is a cause for the curse, and that whatever Allah's Messenger ! prohibits is prohibited by Allah.” [Bayan ul-Quran]

Waliyy Ullah ad-Dahlawi said: “Cutting it is the way of the Magians, and involves changing Allah's creation.” [Bayan ul-Quran]

7. Imitation of Women

The beard presents a major distinction between men and women. Shaving it
removes this distinction, and is thus a means of imitating women. Any act
that involves imitation of the opposite gender makes a person liable for the
curse of Allah and His Messenger !. Ibn Abbas (may Allah be pleased with them), reported: “Allah's Messenger ! has cursed the men who imitate the women; and the women who imitate the men.” [Recorded by al-Bukhari and others].

Al-Kandahlawi said: “No one can have doubt that complete imitation of women arises from shaving the beard. This imitation is stronger than that of imitating their clothing and other matters, because the beard is the foremost and greatest distinction between men and women. This is possible to observe by all people, and is not denied except by one who wants to deceive himself, follow his whims, and be effeminate after Allah has favored him
with the good appearance of a man.” [Wujub i’fa il-Lihyah31-32].

8. Contradicting the Pure Fitrah

The Messenger ! indicates that a child is born with a pure nature, which may
subsequently be blurred by self-indulgence or unfavorable environmental
influence. Abu Hurayrah and al-Aswad Bin Sari reported that Allah's Messenger ! said: “Every child is born with the pure fitrah (nature) - until
he becomes able to express himself. It is his parents who then turn him into a Jew, a Christian, a Magian, or a pagan.” [al-Bukhari and Muslim]

Furthermore, Allah's Messenger ! mentioned ten qualities as indicative of a
good, clean nature. Two of these qualities are to trim the moustaches and to
grow the beard. A’ishah " reported that Allah's Messenger ! said: “There are ten qualities of fitrah: trimming the mustaches, sparing the beard, siwak (brushing the teeth), inhaling water (to clean the nose) [and rinsing the mouth], cutting the nails, washing the finger knuckles, plucking the armpit hair, shaving the pubic hair, washing the private parts with water, [and circumcision].” [Muslim, Abu Dawud, Ahmad, Ibn Abi Shaybah, and others.

The part between square brackets is not in Muslim (Sahah ul-Jami `no. 2222)]

This fitrah never changes with time: Allah says: “The pure nature according to which Allah has created the people. There is no change in Allah's
creation.” [ar-Rum 30:30]

In the footsteps of the disbelievers, many Muslims fitrah is now very deformed. They find a clean-shaven man more handsome and masculine than
one with a beard - exactly the opposite to what the Messenger ! declared in
the above hadith!

9. Ridiculing the Din
With the deformed fitrah that many contemporary Muslims have, they
approve of the ways of the disbelievers and disapprove of the guidance of
Allah's Messenger !! They adorn themselves with closely shaved beards, and
are ashamed of attending important functions or meetings with even a slight
beard. They admire the shiny look of a clean shaved man, and congratulate
one who just had a nice shave! They command their relatives, children, and
subordinates to shave their beards, declaring that the beard is a sign of being
messy, backward, and lazy! They ridicule the beard and anyone who grows it!
By doing this, they redicule an established part of the religion of Islam,
which is a major sin. If they do not know that, they are most ignorant about

their din, and if they do it knowingly, they could fall into a definite act of kufr
(disbelief) - in Allah we seek refuge.

A Mere Sunnah?
One frequently hears the excuse, "But it is only a sunnah!" In their understanding, growing the beard is an optional sunnah at best! From the
previous discussion, it is obvious that this is a wrong understanding, and
there is no doubt that growing it is a mandatory sunnah.

I'm really sorry for the long post but the above is from a book that I have called The "Beard - Muhammad al-Jibaly". it contains more evidence also.

also check out this vid by murtaza khan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQh45hH3RE0

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.