/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hijab help

Raaina
12-13-2009, 12:37 PM
As a new sister to Islam, I wanted to ask about wearing the Hijab, this is more for people in non muslim countries and areas where there might not be any muslims.

Not only have I not told my parent's yet, when I came back off my holiday, I was wearing the Hijab because I was in a muslim country and I removed it because they told me it looked silly.

Today, I tried to wear it again, while I was going out with my mom and she said, you're not going out in THAT are you? So, I just took it off.

I did actually tell my mum today i'd converted, she simply said, "well go back to Pakistan which is a muslim country then." so I know if I started wearing the hijab at home they might not like it, but if I wore it for interviews and such, it would cause arguements for me at home, like, "Oh your not getting a job because you have that on your head, you should take it off".I can just see my dad saying such things to me.

So, how do I get around this? Also, have many of you experienced predudice from employers for wearing the hijab? Is there anyway you can try and find employers who aren't doing to discriminate against you?

Any advice please :hmm:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Insaanah
12-13-2009, 05:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mystical_moon
As a new sister to Islam, I wanted to ask about wearing the Hijab, this is more for people in non muslim countries and areas where there might not be any muslims.

Not only have I not told my parent's yet, when I came back off my holiday, I was wearing the Hijab because I was in a muslim country and I removed it because they told me it looked silly.

Today, I tried to wear it again, while I was going out with my mom and she said, you're not going out in THAT are you? So, I just took it off.

I did actually tell my mum today i'd converted, she simply said, "well go back to Pakistan which is a muslim country then." so I know if I started wearing the hijab at home they might not like it, but if I wore it for interviews and such, it would cause arguements for me at home, like, "Oh your not getting a job because you have that on your head, you should take it off".I can just see my dad saying such things to me.

So, how do I get around this? Also, have many of you experienced predudice from employers for wearing the hijab? Is there anyway you can try and find employers who aren't doing to discriminate against you?

Firstly sister, Assalaamu alaikum and welcome to Islam :)

Secondly, I live in the UK and wear hijaab, as do most of our friends. We have not been discriminated against in any way. Remember, whether you are wearing hijaab or not, it is Allah that grants success in a job. You could go to a interview not wearing hijaab and still not get a job (I don't suggest you do this).

Hijaab is Allah's command. we have to please Him, not people. However, even if your parents don't agree with it, just politely tell them without being rude that you will be wearing it from now on.

If there's anything we can help you with, please let us know. We are here for you. :)

Assalaamu alaikum sister.

cat eyes
12-13-2009, 06:13 PM
:sl:this is probably be your test you have to be STRONG if they tell you to eat pork are you going to eat it? if they tell you to drink alcohol, are you going to drink it? no you will not so the same applies to the hijab if they tell you to take off and insult you..

you shouldn't take it off. once my brother said to me why don't you dress like the girls outside people are going to be talking on your back these little things should not put you off. think about Allah and how he would be displeased with you for taking it off?

imagine the disappointment that you can't take a few insults i will give you a tip just laugh at them an say this is who i am now and i don't care about what others say or feel about me. tell your mum you are happy dressing like that and ''you would appreciate it if you did not make insults like that maybe one day you will realise mum'' so thats all you have to say be strong.

Salahudeen
12-13-2009, 07:15 PM

Sis tell your mum Islam doesn't belong to Pakistan or a Muslim country it's for the whole of humanity, it's not something that is dependant upon your race or nationality, it's dependant upon your believe in one god.

As for your problem it's very common for reverts to go through this, they get rejected by their family's and people look at them strangly and think your some kind of weirdo.

but don't let them bother you, you know the truth that this life is a test and the angels are recording for the day justice.

just do everything you can within your power to get to paradise that's your goal right? we all have that goal, to eventually reach paradise in the end.

Sure we're gonna come across obsticles as we go through our test, but it wouldn't be much of a test if it was easy. Some of us have harder tests than others, but the harder the test the greater the reward. So just say to yourself

"I'm gonna focus everything on pleasing the 1 who made me and getting to jannah no matter what people say or think"

I've seen lots of hijabans working in places here, it's not something uncommon for a women to be walking round in hijaab cos there's so many of them. Just put your trust in Allah and try to please him in every action you do.

I'm sure you don't look silly sis, they're just saying that to make you feel like you don't want to wear it. There's nothing better than a good, pious, respectable, sister who wears Queen like hijab and jilbab or niqaab, and always lowers her gaze.

A good mentality to adopt is

"I don't care what people think of me, I only care for what my creator thinks of me, as long as he's pleased with me I don't care what the rest of man kind thinks"

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Esther462
12-13-2009, 07:54 PM
I was very nervious when I 1st wore the hijab to my parents. I went to tell them that I converted to Islam. They were alright with the Hijab but not alright with my conversion. Thats off topic so I'll get back to your topic. I would wear my hijab to job interviews and I wore it to my college interview and I got in with no problems.
If you are going to lisoren to your parents on everything. What are you going to do about Pork, meat and Alchol. Wear the hijab and do not care what people think.
The song call Free by Sami Yusuf gave me strength and still dose everytime I lisoren to it and I hope it gives you strength with the hijab too. I 've provided a link to the song on YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjJG_eTFaH0

AnonymousPoster
12-13-2009, 09:05 PM
asalam o alaikum n welcome to the true religion of islam,
basically to b honest,hijab will never harm u.i live in UK n sice i came to UK i have started wearing hijab...i never used to b4...i feel so secure n safe...n really really good..to wear that...n to tellu the truth...i never saw anyone..staring at me..or wtever....i never felt as if i was suppressed or anything like that coz of hijab...infact i feel that im more respected bcuz of hijab..even here in UK...n secondly ur not doing it for ur mom,dad,,or the people around...ur doing it for Allah Ta Allahh...so forget abt the people....n do it for Allah...c wt hes going to give u as reward..inshala Tallah....stay happy n stay good...
ALLAH HAFIZ>>>
my sister....
format_quote Originally Posted by Esther462
I was very nervious when I 1st wore the hijab to my parents. I went to tell them that I converted to Islam. They were alright with the Hijab but not alright with my conversion. Thats off topic so I'll get back to your topic. I would wear my hijab to job interviews and I wore it to my college interview and I got in with no problems.
If you are going to lisoren to your parents on everything. What are you going to do about Pork, meat and Alchol. Wear the hijab and do not care what people think.
The song call Free by Sami Yusuf gave me strength and still dose everytime I lisoren to it and I hope it gives you strength with the hijab too. I 've provided a link to the song on YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjJG_eTFaH0

Hamza Asadullah
12-14-2009, 12:07 AM

Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, Mashallah sister you finally told your Mother. It is never easy for a revert to get over obstacles like telling ones parents and family about ones conversion and wearing hijaab etc but with the help of Allah anything is achievable.

Just be patient with your parents for it is not easy for them either and this is a big change for you and them. Just try to make them understand using gentleness, tact and wisdom. If you become a better person then they will see the beauty in Islam. Also explain to them the reason for hijaab as they may not be aware of the reason why women wear it as most people are'nt.

If Allah has given you guidance and has given you the ability to get where you are now don't you think he will continue to help and guide you?

It is only by the deception of shaythan that many of our sisters prevent themselves from wearing the hijaab and jilbab because they think they will not get jobs.

It is ONLY by the will of Allah that a person gets any job for Allah is our employer we must ALWAYS bare this in mind. NOTHING can happen without the will of Allah and Almighty Allah can change the heart of any employer and ANY person.

Even if the whole world was to try and kill you if Allah did not will then 2 billion people would not be able to lay a finger on you. Similarly if it is destined for you to get that job then NOTHING will get in your way.

Only by Allah's will does EVERYTHING happen for he is the lord of the worlds and master of the universe.

So we should be trying to please Allah in order to get a job not our employers.

Sister im from the UK and there are countless women here who wear hijaab, jilbab and even niqaab and are professionals and have work in almost all industries and markets.

If you do not get a certain job then realise that the job was not best for you and that Allah has something better in store for you.

Do not listen to shaythan who just wants to put you off. Be patient with your parents and continue to explain to them gently why you must wear hijaab and also make dua to Allah that he softens and changes their hearts to accept you wearing it and also for Allah to unseal their hearts so that they may also accept Islam.

Rely on Allah and put your full trust and faith into him for everything that happens in your life.

Somaiyah
12-14-2009, 12:24 AM
Salam,
I have been a Muslim since February this year, wore the hijab for a couple of weeks in city where I live alone, then realizing it's too hard to take it off every weekend when I go home, simply told my family about my conversion and kept the hijab on forever. My family hate Islam, they hate the hijab and they are embarressed of me. They say things about the hijab, pull it off when I enter home (I really hate this) because they can't wait until I can get it off by myself, comment it and feel embarressed when outdoors with me. Still I have to hide it so that people where I live won't know that I am a Muslim and I so far agree on doing this which means that I can never be outdoors when I am home, no walks outdoors or buying food. Just stay indoors all day long. And I am still a student but know that when I will start work I will simply try go on interviews over and over again until I find someone who accepts me in hijab. Still my dream is to become a housewife but since I am not yet married or anything I need to work a while first after my studies probably to pay the money I have from when studying.
What I mean is that life isn't easy, going against the family isn't easy, having hijab isn't easy, getting mean comments isn't easy. But we are strong, we can be strong inshallah. If you feel hijab is right, you don't just want it because it looks nice or you just like it, then you can be strong enough inshallah to wear it no matter what people say or think. Just say to yourself you are stronger than that and you can take it.

Somaiyah
12-14-2009, 12:31 AM
*Deleted********

CosmicPathos
12-14-2009, 06:33 AM
welcome to islam. I am just curious that why would your mother mention Pakistan out of many other supposedly Muslim countries?

Raaina
12-14-2009, 07:26 AM
Maybe it's because it's portrayed so much in the news? I'm not sure :)

Caller الداعي
12-14-2009, 07:40 AM
Allah make it easy 4 ya sis!

Ali_008
12-14-2009, 07:51 AM
:sl:
Sister, you'll keep facing these problems as long as the world remains unIslamic. I face similar problems but because of my beard and keeping the trousers above the ankles. I don't even have a complete beard, its just a goatie but still my parents and friends keep insisting me to get it cut. And when I roll my trousers to not let them hang below the ankles, I've to go through another one of those.

You just have to stay strong and face all the opposition and remember that you'll get all the due reward ultimately for going through all this.

When Michael Jackson died and all his videos and live performance were all over television, my friends started calling me Michael Jackson because he used to wear pants which wouldn't reach his ankles either. :giggling:

noorseeker
12-14-2009, 08:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali_008
Sister, you'll keep facing these problems as long as the world remains unIslamic. I face similar problems but because of my beard and keeping the trousers above the ankles. I don't even have a complete beard, its just a goatie but still my parents and friends keep insisting me to get it cut. And when I roll my trousers to not let them hang below the ankles, I've to go through another one of those.

You just have to stay strong and face all the opposition and remember that you'll get all the due reward ultimately for going through all this.

When Michael Jackson died and all his videos and live performance were all over television, my friends started calling me Michael Jackson because he used to wear pants which wouldn't reach his ankles either. :giggling:

Bro this made me laugh hahaha

Muslim Woman
12-14-2009, 08:31 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by Esther462

..The song call Free by Sami Yusuf gave me strength

there is a song of David Whrinsby ( Dawud Ali ) on veil . U may try to listen to it. it's available with and without music.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.