/* */

PDA

View Full Version : British Muslims most patriotic in Europe

Uthman
12-13-2009, 04:52 PM
Muslims in Britain are the most patriotic in Europe according to a new study.

A report has found that on average 78 per cent of Muslims identify themselves as British, compared with 49 per cent who consider themselves French and 23 per cent who feel German.

The findings suggest that Muslims may be better integrated in Britain than in other parts of Europe and will reopen the debate about the merits of multiculturalism.

The study by the Open Society Institute, funded by the financier and philanthropist George Soros, was conducted over two and a half years and involved 2,200 in-depth interviews and 60 focus groups in 11 cities across Europe with large Muslim communities.

In Britain, researchers focused on Leicester and Waltham Forest, east London, where they found that levels of patriotism were even higher among second-generation Muslims.

In Leicester, 72 per cent of Muslims born abroad said they felt British but 94 per cent of those born in Britain said the same.

The debate echoes a Gallup survey earlier this year that found more Muslims identify themselves with being British than the rest of the population.

That survey found that 77 per cent of Muslims say they “identified with the UK” compared with only 50 per cent of the public at large.

Muslims also outscored the general public for their belief in courts, honest elections, financial institutions and the media.

The result of the surveys will fuel an on-gong debate on the merits of multiculturalism that has seen Britain compared poorly with other countries of Europe which have insisted that Muslims integrate into their way of life.

France banned Muslim pupils from wearing headscarves in classrooms five years ago and last month Switzerland voted to ban the building of new minarets.

In Germany, Muslim immigrants have only been allowed citizenship since the 1990s.

The Soros report found that 55 per cent of Muslims across the EU believe that religious and racial discrimination have risen in the past five years.

Nazia Hussain, director of the research project, said: “There is a disturbing message that emerges from these findings. Even though Muslims overwhelmingly feel British, they’re not seen as British by wider society.

“That said ... there has been a policy of trying to accommodate difference here and it appears to be paying off.”

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Uthman
12-13-2009, 04:54 PM
What does it mean to be British?

Blackpool
12-13-2009, 06:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Uthmān
What does it mean to be British?
If this was a "Pakistani Muslims most patriotic" thread, you wouldn't have asked this question...

Uthman
12-13-2009, 06:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Blackpool
If this was a "Pakistani Muslims most patriotic" thread, you wouldn't have asked this question...
That's true.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Supreme
12-14-2009, 05:16 PM
Good news. Muslims should integrate into British society, and they do play an important role.

AlHoda
12-14-2009, 07:45 PM
Hmmm, I know that a lot of muslims live in the UK, I don't think you to be patriotic, to feel like a British citizen.

Pygoscelis
12-14-2009, 08:22 PM
I patriotism still in fashion in Brittain? I know at the height of the empire it was (Rule Britania and all that) but I didn't think it was today.

For the record, I live in Canada and Canada's highest form of patriotism is hockey and beer adds.

Asiyah3
12-14-2009, 08:31 PM
As long as their "British identity" doesn't affect their religion and beliefs, Insha'lLah

Supreme
12-14-2009, 08:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
I patriotism still in fashion in Brittain? I know at the height of the empire it was (Rule Britania and all that) but I didn't think it was today.

For the record, I live in Canada and Canada's highest form of patriotism is hockey and beer adds.

It depends on your definition of 'patroitism'. I shall say this- most devout patriots in Britain are sincere, unlike those in America, where you are force fed the American flag, national anthem and love for your country from an early age. I do think that many people in this country who don't self identify as patriotic wouldn't change comfy old Britain for the world anyway.

Pygoscelis
12-15-2009, 09:37 AM
Britain gave us Doctor Who and Red Dwarf. I love it for that reason alone.

abu salaahudeen
12-15-2009, 10:24 AM
the british values oppose the islamic values

no way a muslim can be british and a practicing muslim

thats an oxymoron

Supreme
12-15-2009, 05:17 PM
And Eastenders and stereotypes on bad weather! Not to mention that small country called 'Canada'. You may have heard of it...

Muezzin
12-15-2009, 10:22 PM
Don't forget 2000AD comics. Judge Dredd makes one a proud Brit indeed.

Unless it's the movie starring Sylvester Stallone, in which case subsitute pride for a collective facepalm.

More seriously, and ironically, during the Asian Diaspora in the 70s, many Muslims emigrated to the UK because its laws allowed them to practice their religions freely without fear of persecution - unlike the ostensibly Muslim countries from which they moved.

Muhammad
12-15-2009, 10:31 PM
Greetings,

format_quote Originally Posted by Blackpool
I guess the difference arises because Pakistan consists mainly of Muslims, whereas in European countries, Muslims are generally a minority and therefore seem to be expected to "integrate" - hence the question of what that's supposed to mean.

GuestFellow
12-15-2009, 11:41 PM
Being British AND patriotic would be enough to drive me mad.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.