/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Studying Islam - where to start

Argamemnon
12-14-2009, 01:34 PM
Salam,

I want to study Islam but don't know where to start, is it wise to start with aqiedah?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd-al Latif
12-17-2009, 10:50 PM
My advice; make your first priority to memorize Qur'an and learn Arabic. This is a must for every student of knowledge.

Insaanah
12-17-2009, 11:05 PM
:sl:

Memorising qur'aan and learning Arabic takes time (but do do it as per the brother's advice). Learning Arabic is really important to learn your deen. But alongside, do study some aqeedah in English before then, using reliable sources. I do know some huffaadh (people who have memorised Qur'an) who's aqeedah is not according to the sunnah!

A really good book to start off with is The Fundamentals of Tawheed, by Dr Abu Ameenah Bilal Philips, as tawheed is the basis of Islam, on which all the other pillars and principles depend. The concept of Tawheed is quite profound, and needs to be understood properly, in the way that it was taught by the Prophet sallallaahu alaihi wa sallam and understood by his companions (radiallaahu anhum ajma'een).

Khaldun
12-17-2009, 11:08 PM

This is true, Qur'aan then Arabic then 'Aqeedah.

Memorise the Qur'aan or as much as you can, then learn basics of arabic language so you can understand and read (atleast) then turn your attention to 'Aqeedah and make sure you know your tawheed. Then if Allah makes it easy for you learn Fiqh.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ummu Sufyaan
12-18-2009, 03:21 AM
i think you should start with the basics first then build your way up, otherwise it'll be too overwhelming.

learn about Allah (so in other words your creed) and how to perform wudoo (ablution) and salaah (prayer).

learn arabic, memorize the quran and maybe some hadiths. if possible try not to learn your deen in English and set yourself some kind of timetable/routine and stick to it.

dont overburden yourself by trying to learn everything at once otherwise it'll be too fatiguing. instead, prioritize, then move on to the next thing when you feel that you are ready to tackle "heaver" knowledge.

cat eyes
12-18-2009, 04:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd-al Latif
My advice; make your first priority to memorize Qur'an and learn Arabic. This is a must for every student of knowledge.
agree thats what i did.

to the OP brother i could not reply to your pms for personal reasons :) but i just want to tell you i understand and you are in my duas. i pray you will find a pious wife and heal your depression Ameen

Argamemnon
12-18-2009, 07:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd-al Latif
Memorize Qur'an, you mean I should become a hafiz? :hmm:
format_quote Originally Posted by Insane Insaan

A really good book to start off with is The Fundamentals of Tawheed, by Dr Abu Ameenah Bilal Philips, as tawheed is the basis of Islam, on which all the other pillars and principles depend.
I have ordered that book :)
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm ul-Shaheed
and how to perform wudoo (ablution) and salaah (prayer).
I already know how to perform those. But I have to learn tajweed as soon as possible. I found an institute here where I can learn how to read the Qu'an/Arabic in 4 sundays? Are they for real?

Thanks for the replies everyone, I appreciate it.

:wa:

Argamemnon
12-18-2009, 07:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
agree thats what i did.

to the OP brother i could not reply to your pms for personal reasons :) but i just want to tell you i understand and you are in my duas. i pray you will find a pious wife and heal your depression Ameen
No problem. In that thread (I forgot which) you raised some issue; about my age and the fact that I'm still unmarried, I think. I didn't want to answer there, so I sent a short pm...

Muhammad
12-18-2009, 08:15 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by Argamemnon
I have ordered that book :)
You can download the book online - it's in this list:
http://www.kalamullah.com/aqeedah.html

Some good advice has been given Masha'Allaah. It's important not to overburden yourself as you might get put off. Take a structured approach and try to remain committed. And always remember to seek Allaah (swt)'s help in all affairs...

وَقُل رَّبِّ زِدْنِي عِلْمًا

and say: "My Lord! Increase me in knowledge." [Ta-Ha: 114]

Ummu Sufyaan
12-19-2009, 09:24 AM

I already know how to perform those. But I have to learn tajweed as soon as possible. I found an institute here where I can learn how to read the Qu'an/Arabic in 4 sundays? Are they for real?
i think you can learn some basiuc tajweed in that time, i dont think it is that hard to grasp...but it may also depend on the number of hours teh classes go on for.

Hamza Asadullah
12-19-2009, 09:18 PM
Salam,

I want to study Islam but don't know where to start, is it wise to start with aqiedah?
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, it is always best to start with the foundations of Islam. If one's foundations are weak then the canopy will collapse. Sameway one should build and strengthen the foundations of ones knowledge and faith first then build up from there.

May i ask do you pray Salah brother? This is the first thing you should learn to do and this book tells you how to do wudu and ghusl etc properly as well as teaching you how to pray Salah with Arabic translation and transliteration.

I have provided a link for you below which enables one to download an E book called: 'Islam: Beliefs and Teachings'.

This E book is a very popular and a brilliant book for those learning from the foundations and it contains everything a Muslim should know and more.

It is very easy to read and is also illustrated. You will enjoy reading and learning from it inshallah:

http://www.islamicbulletin.org/servi...ls.aspx?id=267

This may also help:

The translation of salat (namaz)- learn what your reading in namaz

http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38303

YusufNoor
12-19-2009, 09:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Insane Insaan

Memorising qur'aan and learning Arabic takes time (but do do it as per the brother's advice). Learning Arabic is really important to learn your deen. But alongside, do study some aqeedah in English before then, using reliable sources. I do know some huffaadh (people who have memorised Qur'an) who's aqeedah is not according to the sunnah!

A really good book to start off with is The Fundamentals of Tawheed, by Dr Abu Ameenah Bilal Philips, as tawheed is the basis of Islam, on which all the other pillars and principles depend. The concept of Tawheed is quite profound, and needs to be understood properly, in the way that it was taught by the Prophet sallallaahu alaihi wa sallam and understood by his companions (radiallaahu anhum ajma'een).

i agree with this here! i just finished this book recently and it was AWESOME! Dr Philips has a unique way of reducing concepts down to their foundations and he explains the basics in clear methodical terms.

MOST of the book is actually covered here:

http://www.islamiconlineuniversity.c.../view.php?id=6

you can link this off his website:

http://www.islamiconlineuniversity.c...rses&Itemid=20

just register for free and enjoy! it is course (IIS 012) Foundations of Islaamic Studies. you can download text, watch video and or listen to audio.

there series uses a weekend seminar from toronto that i have on vdv and is just superb. you can download it here:

http://www.bilalphilips.com/bilal_pa...sk=view&id=288

it's the one on the bottom of the page, 21 parts!

May Allah make it guide and make it easy on you!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.