/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How far can we go with not accepting birthday presents?

Yusuf Saeed
12-14-2009, 05:53 PM
:salamext:

It's my birthday today and I've been telling everyone that I don't celebrate anymore. And until the evening it all went well until my dad told my grandpa to come and wish me. And so he came to wish me with a chocolate dad had given him.

It all come in a sudden and I couldn't think how to act properly. I thought that by accepting the gift I would also in a way accept celebrating birthdays which would be wrong in Islam. On the other hand I didn't want to make my grandfather feel bad.

So I told my grandpa as well that I don't celebrate birthdays. And explained to him that I don't think birthdays are so important and that nothing changes in the world because of me becoming older (I didn't want to talk about it being forbidden in islam as he's quite a religious Christian). In the end I didn't accept the handshake, just received the chocolate from his hand and put in on the table.

It all resulted in that he felt really bad and later said I don't respect him at all as a grandpa. I went to his room and offered some chocolate he gave, he refused. I talked to him and tried my best to explain him that I didn't wish anything bad to him and that I respect him a lot for being so religious. And that I also believe in God, that it's more important that a birthday etc., kind of tried to have some common ground with him. I also gave him one present and shook his hand (one reason he thought I didn't accept him handshake before was that his hand was not good enough for me) so that he'd maybe forgive me for making him feel bad.

But it seems he didn't forgive me, at all. There's one other bad thing that's been going on for a while now which was probably why this situation became so harsh. In fact he was crying when I entered his room and while talking to him and he was and probably still is very angry and disappointed with me.

Now having seen where it all lead to I'm feeling really bad and also confused about whether I should have accepted him wishing me "happy birthday" in the beginning or not. imsad
Could anyone please give me advice about what would have been islamically the right way to act?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
rpwelton
12-14-2009, 06:58 PM
A birthday is a cultural celebration, and while in the West it's often taken to extravagant extremes, there is nothing religious about birthdays (save for the part where you might be asked to "make a wish" and blow on some candles, which would be a form of shirk).

I don't really celebrate them anymore either, but I'm not going to throw a fit just to avoid someone wishing me a happy birthday.

In order to say that you can't celebrate a birthday, you will have to bring proof from the Qur'an and/or Sunnah that say it is forbidden to celebrate birthdays (because this is considered a "general" act and not a "religious" one, therefor the burden of proof is on the one calling it haraam).

A lot of modern day scholars have ruled against it, and you're free to follow them. However, a lot of these fataawa come from overseas, where people do not have a concept of birthdays (thus they see it as a "Christian" festival).

abu salaahudeen
12-14-2009, 07:04 PM
you are required to stand your ground and tell them the proper way i.e. be adamant slightly harsh but not too harsh if you know what I mean

Hamza Asadullah
12-15-2009, 12:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yusuf Saeed

It's my birthday today and I've been telling everyone that I don't celebrate anymore. And until the evening it all went well until my dad told my grandpa to come and wish me. And so he came to wish me with a chocolate dad had given him.

It all come in a sudden and I couldn't think how to act properly. I thought that by accepting the gift I would also in a way accept celebrating birthdays which would be wrong in Islam. On the other hand I didn't want to make my grandfather feel bad.

So I told my grandpa as well that I don't celebrate birthdays. And explained to him that I don't think birthdays are so important and that nothing changes in the world because of me becoming older (I didn't want to talk about it being forbidden in islam as he's quite a religious Christian). In the end I didn't accept the handshake, just received the chocolate from his hand and put in on the table.

It all resulted in that he felt really bad and later said I don't respect him at all as a grandpa. I went to his room and offered some chocolate he gave, he refused. I talked to him and tried my best to explain him that I didn't wish anything bad to him and that I respect him a lot for being so religious. And that I also believe in God, that it's more important that a birthday etc., kind of tried to have some common ground with him. I also gave him one present and shook his hand (one reason he thought I didn't accept him handshake before was that his hand was not good enough for me) so that he'd maybe forgive me for making him feel bad.

But it seems he didn't forgive me, at all. There's one other bad thing that's been going on for a while now which was probably why this situation became so harsh. In fact he was crying when I entered his room and while talking to him and he was and probably still is very angry and disappointed with me.

Now having seen where it all lead to I'm feeling really bad and also confused about whether I should have accepted him wishing me "happy birthday" in the beginning or not. imsad
Could anyone please give me advice about what would have been islamically the right way to act?
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, jazakallah for sharing this with us. Brother unfortunatey a lot of our Muslim brothers and sisters are unaware of the implications of celebrating infidel events like Brithday celebrations,valentines day, guy fawkes night, exchanging chocolate eggs on easter and giving presents and cards on Christmas and wishing others happy Christmas. All of this constitutes to one accepting these non Muslim celebrations.

We must not wish people happy birthday because we a birthday is not a happy event at all and we must not wish happy Christmas to non Muslims because Christimas is a pagan festival so why should we wish them a happy pagan festival?

We must educate our brothers and sisters and tell them the history behind these events so that they know why we should not celebrate them or wish others happy celebrations.

My brother don't blame yourself. You had the right intentions. Always try to educate others whether its family or friends in a gentle manner using wisdom and tact as this is the best way to conduct ourselves as Muslims and the best way to get acceptance by others. Nothing will be achieved by harshness and it is always bettr to be gentle but firm on your stance.

Next time before the event arises bring it up in a discussion with your family so then everyone knows that you will not be taking part in it and they should also desist from it. It would have been better if you had done this with the birthday subject too but its done now so just continue to ask your grandfather for forgiveness just so that his heart heals and just explain to him the history of birthdays and the reason why we as Muslims must not take part in them.

and Allah knows best

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IslamicRevival
12-15-2009, 12:49 AM
We are not allowed to celebrate birthdays? Absolute utter garbage!

As long as we do not cross the boundaries IE Free mixing, Music etc there is nothing wrong with a mother celebrating her daughter/son birthday

Yusuf Saeed
12-15-2009, 04:42 AM
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, jazakallah for sharing this with us. Brother unfortunatey a lot of our Muslim brothers and sisters are unaware of the implications of celebrating infidel events like Brithday celebrations,valentines day, guy fawkes night, exchanging chocolate eggs on easter and giving presents and cards on Christmas and wishing others happy Christmas. All of this constitutes to one accepting these non Muslim celebrations.

We must not wish people happy birthday because we a birthday is not a happy event at all and we must not wish happy Christmas to non Muslims because Christimas is a pagan festival so why should we wish them a happy pagan festival?

We must educate our brothers and sisters and tell them the history behind these events so that they know why we should not celebrate them or wish others happy celebrations.

My brother don't blame yourself. You had the right intentions. Always try to educate others whether its family or friends in a gentle manner using wisdom and tact as this is the best way to conduct ourselves as Muslims and the best way to get acceptance by others. Nothing will be achieved by harshness and it is always bettr to be gentle but firm on your stance.

Next time before the event arises bring it up in a discussion with your family so then everyone knows that you will not be taking part in it and they should also desist from it. It would have been better if you had done this with the birthday subject too but its done now so just continue to ask your grandfather for forgiveness just so that his heart heals and just explain to him the history of birthdays and the reason why we as Muslims must not take part in them.

and Allah knows best

Jazakallah Khairun for a knowledgeable reply and for putting some ease to my heart, brother.

Maybe later today I shall try to talk to my grandfather again and tell him about the historical background of birthdays. And tell him that in early Christianity it was also considered as a pagan ritual up to the 4th century.

It all might be quite difficult though and I don't think he will accept any of my thoughts since he's 97 and with very firm beliefs. But I shall give it a try if I'll have a good chance, insha'Allah.

Muslim Woman
12-15-2009, 05:50 AM
:sl:

format_quote Originally Posted by Yusuf Saeed

...I didn't want to talk about it being forbidden in islam
There is no verse in Quran that says so . Is there any authetic hadith ?

I can understand we must not follow anything that goes against our religion but how come accepting chocolate can be haram ? Hurting grandpa's feeling unnecessarily , is that recommended in Islam ?

I think , Muslims give more importance on little matters rather than many serious matters . Such as watching movies , taking part in beauty contests , go to co - ed when single sex education is available ...list can go on. Comparatively wish someone on birthday or give or accept gifts on the occasion ...that can't be a real serious problem for any person or Muslim Ummah.

May be , it's better not to celebrate birthday as Prophet pbuh did not do it. But did he declare it as haram ?

And Allah knows Best.

a related fatwa :

Lutfi - United States

Question It is known that celebrating birthday is Haram, but what about sending a card or saying it to a friend without and celebration? I heard once that prophet Mohammed PBUH used to recognize the birthday by fasting it, is that right?

Jazakum Allah khair.

Answer 1. Celebrating birthday's is not haram. We should be very flexible with our children. Sometimes they could have some fun. We can teach our children what the nature of birthday's is and how Muslims do not celebrate that. But if a Muslim does it, there is no problem.

2. Prophet Muhammad (SAAWS) didn't celebrate his birthday, but he said because of fasting on Monday's, he said that it was the day when he was born. That doesn't mean any celebration, but he expresses his gratification to Allah for his (SAAWS) creation.

http://www.islamonline.net/livefatwa...GuestID=LFENWD

Ibn Abi Ahmed
12-15-2009, 06:08 AM

Let us just be careful before we issue rulings from ourselves without being qualified to do so.
Question: What is the ruling on celebrating birthdays?

Answered by Sheikh Salman al-Oadah

If you mean celebrating the likes of the birthday of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) or Prophet Jesus (peace be upon him), then this is clearly unlawful. Such festive days are newly contrived innovations that conflict with the dictates of Islamic Law.

Such rites are from the traditions of the People of the Book. They have a devotional purpose and are carried out seeking nearness to Allah. This is the reason I view such occasions to be unlawful and prohibited.

If, on the other hand, you mean celebrating personal birthdays, then this is something different, since it is not intended as a devotional act or an act of worship. Therefore, it is not as serious a matter. Still, I tend to regard it as something disliked for people who are not already accustomed to celebrating this event in their culture, but do so merely to blindly ape cultural practices that are outside of their own experience.

Question: What is the ruling on making or selling birthday party decorations and balloons? Does it take the same ruling as selling Christmas trees?

Answered by Sheikh Salman al-Oadah

Participating in, making, or manufacturing anything that is used for something unlawful is also unlawful, since it is assisting in sin and iniquity. Therefore, selling Christmas trees and Christmas decorations is unlawful.

With respect to birthday parties, the situation is different. This is because birthday parties are not religious occasions and do not have an overt religious cast to them.

A birthday party is not a festival of the nature of an `îd that is a general festive day for the entire community. It is merely a personal occasion that means nothing more than a remembrance of something dear.
http://islamtoday.com/show_detail_se...main_cat_id=14

It all resulted in that he felt really bad and later said I don't respect him at all as a grandpa.
In fact he was crying when I entered his room and while talking to him and he was and probably still is very angry and disappointed with me.
In the scale of things brother, this is something far worse and the harms of this is greater. Hurting the feelings of a family member over an issue which is small and should not be blown out of proportion is incorrect. There is room for ease and tolerance in our religion and things are most often not as black and white as people try to make them out to be. Family relations, especially with someone like a grandfather should be taken care of, they are much more important than a small secondary issue such as the ruling on birthdays. We ought to prioritize between the harms and benefits of an action and weigh them in accordance. Allaah commands us to show the best of manners to our parents even if they are making partners with Allaah - what then when the issue is much smaller than that in this case (birthdays)?

I'm not saying succumb to everything people say. Rather, in issues where there is room for ease and tolerance such as some secondary issues, like this issue of birthdays, we shouldn't make it an problem that causes separation between us and our families.

abu salaahudeen
12-15-2009, 12:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman

There is no verse in Quran that says so . Is there any authetic hadith ?

I can understand we must not follow anything that goes against our religion but how come accepting chocolate can be haram ? Hurting grandpa's feeling unnecessarily , is that recommended in Islam ?

I think , Muslims give more importance on little matters rather than many serious matters . Such as watching movies , taking part in beauty contests , go to co - ed when single sex education is available ...list can go on. Comparatively wish someone on birthday or give or accept gifts on the occasion ...that can't be a real serious problem for any person or Muslim Ummah.

May be , it's better not to celebrate birthday as Prophet pbuh did not do it. But did he declare it as haram ?

And Allah knows Best.

a related fatwa :

Lutfi - United States

Question It is known that celebrating birthday is Haram, but what about sending a card or saying it to a friend without and celebration? I heard once that prophet Mohammed PBUH used to recognize the birthday by fasting it, is that right?

Jazakum Allah khair.

Answer 1. Celebrating birthday's is not haram. We should be very flexible with our children. Sometimes they could have some fun. We can teach our children what the nature of birthday's is and how Muslims do not celebrate that. But if a Muslim does it, there is no problem.

2. Prophet Muhammad (SAAWS) didn't celebrate his birthday, but he said because of fasting on Monday's, he said that it was the day when he was born. That doesn't mean any celebration, but he expresses his gratification to Allah for his (SAAWS) creation.

http://www.islamonline.net/livefatwa...GuestID=LFENWD

as salamualykum wa rahmatullah

1stly sister anyone who has studied islam will know that there is a sharee'ah principle derived from the usool of this deen that "every action reequires daleel" and the one that performs an action then it is imperative to bring forth their justification and not the other way round.

2ndly that link you provided in justifying birthdays are allowed then know that it is baatil. The person who gave that hukn will be held accountable by allah and anyone who promotes baatil will be held accountable

May Allah protect us from deviancy

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
12-15-2009, 03:15 PM

So just a simple personal celebration isn't haraam?

Yusuf Saeed
12-15-2009, 03:16 PM

Alhamdulillah, Allah seems to have solved this whole thing between me and my grandfather. And even though I probably shouldn't have acted the way I did last evening, now it seems all that happened last evening was just supposed to happen cause by Allah's will it seems to have lead to me talking to my grandpa about God and belief in Him.

I brought him some examples from the Bible where birthdays are mentioned only when something bad happens. And also explained him the pagan origin of celebrating birthdays and that Jesus(aleihi salam) and all the other prophets(peace be upon them) never celebrated theirs.

The whole talk went really calmly and in a friendly manner. Since we haven't really discussed matters of faith before he also said that he came to know a lot more about me. Alhamdulillah.

Muslim Woman
12-15-2009, 03:30 PM
:wa:

format_quote Originally Posted by abu salaahudeen
... know that it is baatil.

If Allah does not forbid anything , if messenger of Allah did not declare anything haram , why this is baatil ? Who declared this as baatil ?

cat eyes
12-15-2009, 05:15 PM
:sl: i agree with sister muslim woman i haven't read from haidths that its forbidden :embarrass i think that you might have been just a little extreme to reject the hand shake:)

thats why he was really hurt you could still have accepted the hand shake and still explained to him nicely not overly to straight forward on the first time your giving dawah to your family like when i went to visit my family last christmas i spent the time with them but i did not celebrate with them i nicely talked with my father about islam and what islam says just like a casual conversation i didn't not force the haraam and halal stuff down there throats if you see what im getting at here because that would obviously cause upset.

I managed to stop my brother from eating pork also he dosen eat it anymore now. alot of good can come when you use different tactic's

Hamza Asadullah
12-16-2009, 04:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
:sl: i agree with sister muslim woman i haven't read from haidths that its forbidden :embarrass i think that you might have been just a little extreme to reject the hand shake:)

thats why he was really hurt you could still have accepted the hand shake and still explained to him nicely not overly to straight forward on the first time your giving dawah to your family like when i went to visit my family last christmas i spent the time with them but i did not celebrate with them i nicely talked with my father about islam and what islam says just like a casual conversation i didn't not force the haraam and halal stuff down there throats if you see what im getting at here because that would obviously cause upset.

I managed to stop my brother from eating pork also he dosen eat it anymore now. alot of good can come when you use different tactic's
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, you won't find all things which are forbidden mentioned in the Qur'an or hadith.Not celebrating Christmas, Easter or St Valentines day is not mentioned in the Qur'an or hadith, does it make celebrating them permissable?

One should always research in order to try and establish the origin of these events so that it would make things clear as to how these celebrations and events originated.

Birthdays have never been celebrated in the history of Islam. The Prophet (Pbuh) or Sahaba did'nt nore did the pious predecessors and Muslims for the past 1000 years. If they had done would it not have been recorded?
Birthdays originated from Pagan roots. Check out the origins of birthdays:

History of Birthday

It is quite interesting to study the history of Birthday celebrations. Earliest history of birthday can be traced before the rise of Christianity where celebrations began to ward off evil spirits!! If this surprises you, read on for more interesting facts and gradual progress of birthday celebrations in history.

Development of Calendars

Early man did not know how to calculate dates so they were not able to pay attention to the anniversary of important events like birthdays. Gradually, human beings began to understand lunar cycles and they developed calendars accordingly. This made it easy for them to calculate the date of birth and celebrate the occasion.

Birthday History

History of Birthday observance can be traced back before the rise of Christianity. In pagan culture it was believed evil spirits visited people on their birthdays. To protect the person having birthday from the evil effect, people used to surround him and make merry. A lot of noise used to be created in such parties to scare away the evil spirits. In those times there was no tradition of bringing gifts and guests attending the birthday party would bring good wishes for the birthday person. However, if a guest did bring gifts it was considered to be a good sign for the person of honor. Later, flowers became quite popular as a Birthday gift.

Early Records of Birthday Celebrations

Historians are certain that birthday celebrations are being held for quite sometimes but there are few records for the same. Documented descriptions of Birthday celebrations are available only for kings, high-ranking nobility and those who held high positions in the society. In the beginning common men and especially children were unable to celebrate the birthdays. Scholars believe that this difference existed because only the nobility was wealthy enough to throw birthday parties and was considered important enough to be written about.

Popular Birthday Celebrations in History

• Best known birthday in the history is that of Jesus Christ. For nearly 2000 years since the birth of Jesus in Bethlehem, Christians have been honoring the day as Christmas.

• About 4,000 years ago King Pharaoh used to celebrate his birthday by giving a feast to his court followers.

• King Herod is said to have celebrated his birthday by treating lords, high captains and special friends with a special supper party in Galiliee.

History of Popular Birthday Traditions and Symbols

Some of the popular Birthday traditions and symbols that we see today originated hundreds of years ago. Some believe the tradition of Birthday cake was started by early Greeks who used to take round or moon shaped cake to temple of Artemis - the Goddess of Moon. Others believe the custom of Birthday cake initiated in Germany where people used to make bread in the shape of baby Jesus’s swaddling cloth.

The popular custom of lighting candles on cake is said to have originated because Greeks used to light candles on the cake taken to Artemis to make it glow like a moon. Some though believe that custom originated because of a religious belief that gods lived in the sky and lighted candles helped to send a signal or prayers to the god. Germans are said to have placed a big candle in the centre of the cake to symbolize ‘the light of life’. Even today people make silent wishes as they blow out candles. It is believed that blowing out all candles in one breath brings good luck.

Source: http://www.tokenz.com/history-of-birthday.html

cat eyes
12-16-2009, 04:38 PM
so without hadith and Qur'an evidence how can you easily tell another muslim that something is haraam without evidence that is surely haraam in itself. we shouldn't celebrate it. its best to keep away from it because its not heard of in islam but you need evidence to tell another muslim that something is haraam or not. if i ask a scholar a question i will obviously ask evidence from hadith or Qur'an also

cat eyes
12-16-2009, 04:47 PM
of course i havent researched into it but i will do. thanks

Hamza Asadullah
12-16-2009, 04:51 PM
so without hadith and Qur'an evidence how can you easily tell another muslim that something is haraam without evidence that is surely haraam in itself. we shouldn't celebrate it. its best to keep away from it because its not heard of in islam but you need evidence to tell another muslim that something is haraam or not. if i ask a scholar a question i will obviously ask evidence from hadith or Qur'an also
Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah

Question:

What is the shar’i ruling on celebrating festivals such as the birthday of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), children’s birthdays, Mother’s Day, Tree Week and national holidays?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly: ‘Eid (festival) is the name given to something which returns (ya’ood), and is used to describe gatherings which happen repeatedly, on a yearly, monthly or weekly basis, etc. So an ‘eid includes a number of things, such as a day which comes regularly, e.g., ‘Eid al-Fitr and Friday; gatherings on that day; and actions such as acts of worship and customs which are done on that day.

Secondly: any of these things which are intended as rituals or acts of worship aimed at drawing closer to Allaah or glorifying Him in order to earn reward, or which involve imitating the people of Jaahiliyyah or any other groups of kaafirs, is a prohibited bid’ah, an innovation which comes under the general meaning of the hadeeth: “Whoever innovates something in this matter of ours (Islam) that is not part of it, will have it rejected.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari and Muslim).

Examples of that include Mawlid al-Nabi (the Prophet’s birthday), Mother’s Day and national holidays, because in the first case there are innovated acts of worship which Allaah has not prescribed, and because it involves imitation of the Christians and other kaafirs. And in the second and third cases there is imitation of the kuffaar. But in cases where the intention is to organize work to serve the interests of the ummah and to put its affairs straight, or to organize programs of study, or to bring employees together for work purposes etc., which in and of themselves do not involve acts of worship and glorification, then these are a kind of benign innovation which do not come under the meaning of the hadeeth, “Whoever innovates something in this matter of ours (Islam) that is not a part of it will have it rejected.” So there is nothing wrong with such things, indeed they are allowed by sharee’ah.

And Allaah is the Source of strength. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad and his family and companions, and grant them peace.

Question

In our city in Eqypt, it is the cusom that when every person completes a year of his life, he holds a party and we call it a 'birthday' party or 'blowing out the candles'. I have heard lately that it is not permissible in Islaam; is this action permissible in Islaam, and is it permissible to visit these parties when one of them is invited to do so? Please advise us; with much gratitude to you.

Answer

This custom is an evil one and a detestable innovation, for which Allaah has revealed no authority. Festivals are fixed, like acts of worship; and it is reported in the Hadeeth that during the days of ignorance, the people of Madeenah used to celebrate two festivals, then Allaah replaced them with the two lawful festivals. Also, nothing is mentioned in the Law (of Islaam) called a birthday and none of the Companions, may Allaah be pleased with them, used to do it, nor did the pious early generations of the Muslim community do so, for it is not permissible in Islaamic law to celebrate these festivals, nor to attend them, nor to encourage one's family (to do so), nor to congratulate someone or any such thing which entails supporting or approving of this detested act.

Ibn Jibreen.

Reference - Fatawa Islaamiyyah, Volume 1 - Creed, The Book of Creed, Pg. 185

what is the evidence on celebrating birthdays,is it allowed in islam?

The evidence in the Qur’aan and Sunnah indicates that celebrating birthdays is a kind of bid’ah or innovation in religion, which has no basis in the pure sharee’ah. It is not permitted to accept invitations to birthday celebrations, because this involves supporting and encouraging bid’ah. Allaah, may He be glorified and exalted, says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Or have they partners with Allaah (false gods) who have instituted for them a religion which Allaah has not allowed…?” [al-Shoora 42:21]

“Then We have put you (O Muhammad) on a plain way of (Our) commandment. So follow that, and follow not the desires of those who know not. Verily, they can avail you nothing against Allaah (if He wants to puish you). Verily, the zaalimoon (wrongdoers) are awliyaa’ (protectors, helpers, etc.) to one another, but Allaah is the Wali (Protector, Helper) of the muttaqoon (pious).” [al-Jaathiyah 45:18-19]

“Follow what has been sent down unto you from your Lord, and follow not any awliyaa’ (protectors, helpers, etc.) besides Him. Little do you remember!” [al-A’raaf 7:3]

According to saheeh reports, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever does something that is a not part of this matter of ours (i.e., Islam) will have it rejected” (reported by Muslim in his Saheeh); and “The best of speech is the Book of Allaah and the best of guidance is the guidance of Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). The most evil of things are those which have been newly invented (in religion), and every innovation is a going astray.” There are many other ahaadeeth that convey the same meaning.

Besides being bid’ah and having no basis in sharee’ah, these birthday celebrations also involve imitation of the Jews and Christians in their birthday celebrations. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, warning us against following their ways and traditions: “You would follow the ways of those who came before you step by step, to such an extent that if they were to enter a lizard’s hole, you would enter it too.” They said, “O Messenger of Allaah, (do you mean) the Jews and Christians?” He said, “Who else?” (Reported by al-Bukhaari and Muslim). The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) also said: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.”

Fataawa Islamiyyah, 1/115

cat eyes
12-16-2009, 05:03 PM
jazakAllah kharian i will be sure to ask a scholar too. its not that i don't trust you the site you probably got it off is reliable

Hamza Asadullah
12-16-2009, 05:34 PM
Here are more scholarly fatwa's

In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Assalaamu `alaykum waRahmatullahi Wabarakatuh

Islam is a complete way of life. Before carrying out any action we should always weigh the act in light of Quraan, Hadith and the actions of our pious predecessors.

When we look through the lives of Nabi Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam and Sahaba we never find any mention of celerbrating birthdays, inspite of the fact that there was no greater day than the day when Nabi Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam came in this world.

In regards to our pious predecessors, they not only refrained from birthday parties, they even discouraged it and regarded it totally alien to Islam. This has been expressed by great scholars, the likes of Faqih ul ummah Mufti Mahmud ul Hasan Gangohi and Moulana Yusuf Ludhwani Rahimahumallah.

Fataawa Mahmudiyya (Jamia Farooqia, Vol 3 Pg179)

Aap ke masaail (Maktaba Ludhwaniyya, Vol 8 Pg126))

In the west huge amounts of money is spent on birthdays, and a person is really overtaken by pride when he is self-centered and showered with gifts.

On the contrary, we as Muslims do not follow the customs of the disbelievers for fear of being counted amongst them. It is related in a hadith which is recorded in Abu Dawood that whoever emulates a nation, he is from amongst them.

A Muslim uses this time to reflect on how much more closer he is getting to his grave. He realizes that another year has passed in his life and his death is drawing closer. He introspects to see if in the past year of his life, did he carry out the objective for what he has been created i.e. devoting oneself in the worship of Allah. He repents for all his past sins and now makes firm resolutions for the future.

And Allah knows best

Wassalam u Alaikum

Ml. Luqman Hansrot,
Student Darul Iftaa

Checked and Approved by:

Mufti Ebrahim Desai
Darul Iftaa, Madrassah In'aamiyyah

Snowflake
12-17-2009, 04:57 AM
Assalamu alaykum,

In my humble opinion, if people say that celebrating birthdays is halal, because the Prophet (saw) remembered his by fasting, then fast on your birthday as the Prophet did so that you are really following the sunnah and not the kafir way by holding gatherings with fancy foods and gifts. I can't see a connection between doing something by claiming it is sunnah then doing it totally opposite to the sunnah way. It just doesn't make sense.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.