/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Wearing the Muslim veil in America: What it's like

Uthman
12-15-2009, 11:27 AM
I knew I was in trouble the moment I sat down. I’d just taken a seat next to an elderly Asian woman on the D-line train, on my way to a college class last year. She immediately stiffened. I began reading a book. She started twitching and looking around the train. We passed the first stop. She took out her pocket Bible, reading rapidly aloud as she rocked back and forth, clearly agitated. I felt awful, but I didn’t know how to calm her. Before we reached the next stop, she gathered her bags, hurried down the aisle, and quickly took a seat next to someone else.
Read more here.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Raaina
12-15-2009, 04:36 PM
I really enjoyed reading that.

As a new muslim, it's nice to read about positive exeriences she had as well as some negative ones and how she over came them :)

جوري
12-15-2009, 04:40 PM
Nice, I like the way it ended:

Another train rideI live in a country where I can do just that. And where, for every discouraging encounter I experience, I have 10 positive ones.
Like another time on the D-line train in Boston on my way home after a long day of classes. It was Ramadan, the Muslim month of fasting, and I was hungry and tired and had no place to sit.
“You’re fasting, right?” asked a man, standing and offering me his place.
I smiled and gratefully took his seat.

a couple of days ago my sr. and I went for a 'playdate' at a potential school for my niece, I was trying to park the car while my sr. was putting money in the meter, and this woman on a bike kept staring at my sr. until she almost hit a pole.. it was the most hilarious thing.. Her glances were weird, I didn't know how to classify them, like she saw an alien from out of space.. How can you be Muslim and wearing an hermes scarf or Muslim and with a decent car or Muslim and in this affluent neighborhood I wasn't quite sure how to classify it? But like this lady in the story, I really do believe we have an obligation to be the best we can be, and I believe the Muslim community has managed that quite successfully in the U.S.. I am just disturbed by how the Muslim community is in Europe from reports I have read here...

:wa:

Ali_008
12-15-2009, 04:47 PM
It was a beautiful article. Thanks for sharing
JazakAllah Khair :thumbs_up

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Danah
12-15-2009, 04:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
Nice, I like the way it ended:

Another train rideI live in a country where I can do just that. And where, for every discouraging encounter I experience, I have 10 positive ones.
Like another time on the D-line train in Boston on my way home after a long day of classes. It was Ramadan, the Muslim month of fasting, and I was hungry and tired and had no place to sit.
“You’re fasting, right?” asked a man, standing and offering me his place.
I smiled and gratefully took his seat.
Nice one!

good to know that there is still a hope in some people to be nice like that

crayon
12-15-2009, 05:28 PM
Loved the article, the ending was great- thanks for sharing!

cat eyes
12-15-2009, 06:27 PM
:sl:muslims should be careful of worrying about what kafirs think about them. we should worry about pleasing Allah because once you start worrying about little things about your veil.. you will start to worry about other things to do with islam and that makes imaan extremely weak. ive heard of sisters covering less because of stupid experiences like this, stopped wearing the burqa and everything and went back to there westerner clothes.

very sad indeed! what is this life?? its nothing compared to the hereafter! i honestly would not have cared that whether somebody is having a panick attack beside me or not just because i am dressed modest as long as i am doing everything thats expected of me as a muslimah in the eyes of Allah. why do people care? i probably would have been so uncomfortable with her that i probably would have moved! same applies to getting abused or muslims getting attacked on the road.. if we die during all this oppression it will be Allah we will be returning 2 so be strong brothers and sisters. we will get our rewards in full

Salahudeen
12-15-2009, 06:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
:sl:muslims should be careful of worrying about what kafirs think about them. we should worry about pleasing Allah because once you start worrying about little things about your veil.. you will start to worry about other things to do with islam and that makes imaan extremely weak. ive heard of sisters covering less because of stupid experiences like this, stopped wearing the burqa and everything and went back to there westerner clothes.

very sad indeed! what is this life?? its nothing compared to the hereafter! i honestly would not have cared that whether somebody is having a panick attack beside me or not just because i am dressed modest as long as i am doing everything thats expected of me as a muslimah in the eyes of Allah. why do people care? i probably would have been so uncomfortable with her that i probably would have moved! same applies to getting abused or muslims getting attacked on the road.. if we die during all this oppression it will be Allah we will be returning 2 so be strong brothers and sisters. we will get our rewards in full
I agree, who ever tries to please the people by displeasing Allah, then Allah becomes displeased with him, whoever tries to please Allah regardless of what the people think Allah becomes pleased with him and the people become pleased with him.

sure we're gonna face hardships but that's apart of life everything is a test for us.

Misz_Muslimah
12-15-2009, 06:56 PM
Jazaakalahu khayran for sharing :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.