/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What is your opinion of Rashad Khalifa?

Rabi Mansur
12-16-2009, 02:27 AM
:sl:

Just wondering what others think of Rashad Khalifa. I've been reading his translation of the Quran (Quran: The Final Testament).

I realize that he was a controversial figure, but would be interested in your thoughts regarding him.

شكرا

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
YusufNoor
12-16-2009, 02:42 AM
he's a kufar.

Ali_008
12-16-2009, 02:51 AM
Never heard of him, sorry. :(
:w:

جوري
12-16-2009, 02:54 AM
he is the quran only guy.. he was executed I believe, but don't quote me on that, I don't want to google a kaffir, I hate to increase hits to kuffar sites..

:wa:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
rpwelton
12-16-2009, 03:14 AM
He had some whack theory that all the verses of the Qur'an fit into some formula he made except two, so he actually produced a "version" (a'uthubillah) of the Qur'an without those verses (I think they were in Surat at-Tauba). If memory serves me right, he was stabbed to death.

جوري
12-16-2009, 03:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by rpwelton
He had some whack theory that all the verses of the Qur'an fit into some formula he made except two, so he actually produced a "version" (a'uthubillah) of the Qur'an without those verses (I think they were in Surat at-Tauba). If memory serves me right, he was stabbed to death.
lol.. was the formula 3^16*+P/ Ω 78-90*1000 Σ Δ-x +W. ∏ = quran minus two verses?... :haha: what a quack and there is no loss for quacks in this world...

Rabi Mansur
12-16-2009, 04:45 AM
I actually like his English translation. It is very readable and in some ways easier to understand than other translations I have seen...but... he sure has some strange ideas. His book is entertaining, however, there are some pretty odd things he has come up with that pretty much destroy his credibility.

I guess what is the most crazy is where he presents himself as the messenger of the covenant through mathematical coding in the Quran. He lost me there. ;D

Oh well. :thumbs_do

CosmicPathos
12-16-2009, 05:09 AM
Rashad Khalifa heralds from an era where unfortunately some Muslims from the Ummah were trying hard to find "numerological" miracles in Quran. No wonder why he introduced his number 9 theory. Quran is a book par excellence which does not need petty senseless numerical miracles for establishing its authority. Why number 9? Why not 99? Why not 199? why not 199999? why not 0.9? Meh.

Raaina
12-16-2009, 11:02 AM
I've never heard of him either. Why was he a kufar? Can you read his version of the Qu'ran online?

Insaanah
12-16-2009, 11:23 AM

The Numerical Miracle of the Qur’aan
The most famous proponent of this idea was Rashad Khalifa, an Egyptian biochemist educated in the United States. According to Dr. Khalifa, there is a miraculous numerical code to the Qur’aan based on its “first” verse (Bismillahir-Rahmaanir-Raheem), which consists of 19 letters. This miraculous code is supposedly referred to in verse 30 of Chapter 74 (al-Muddath-thir) which states “Over it are 19.” Based on these two premises, Dr. Rashad claims to have discovered an intricate mathematical pattern involving 19 and its multiples throughout the Qur’aan and especially in what he calls the Qur’aanic initials which precede 29 chapters (Alif, Laam, Meem, etc.). From this discovery, Dr. Khalifa concludes that the complexity of this mathematical code’s pattern in a literary work of the Qur’aan’s size is far beyond human capabilities, and that it alone constitutes the only real miracle of the Qur’aan which proves its divine origin. He further concludes that 19 and its multiples represent the key to the correct interpretation of the Qur’aan and Islam, and the reason why 19 was chosen is that 19 means “God is One,” which is the message of the Qur’aan.

Many Muslims at first received Khalifa’s theories with uncritical enthusiasm. However, when more rigorous critics began checking his numbers, they found numerous discrepancies and some outright fabrications in his data. His claims were based on the number of times a given letter or word occurs in a given soorah or group of soorahs. It was discovered that he would sometimes treat hamzahs like alifs and sometimes he wouldn’t, depending on the totals he needed in a given soorah to confirm his theory. Sometimes he counted letters that weren’t there, sometimes he failed to count existing letters, sometimes he counted two words as one, sometimes he added to the Qur’aanic text and sometimes he deleted from it, all for the purpose of making the letter and word counts conform to his theory. On top of that, his letter counts changed over time, depending on whether he wanted to establish a pattern for a soorah by itself or as part of a group of soorahs. When confronted with inconsistencies in his data, he began claiming that certain verses had been inserted into the Qur’aan that did not belong there.

After this clear statement of disbelief he went on to claim knowledge of the exact date of the Day of Judgment and eventually claimed prophethood for himself. He attracted a group of followers in Tucson, Arizona, but his career was cut short when he was stabbed to death by an unknown assailant in 1990.

From Usool at-Tafseer: The Methodology of Qur'aanic Explanation by Dr Abu Ameenah Bilal Philips
Link to the book: http://kalamullah.com/Books/Usool%20at-Tafseer.pdf

Ali_008
12-16-2009, 11:34 AM
^^ Does he still have any followers like those of mirza ghulam ahmed (the qadianis)??

Raaina
12-16-2009, 11:48 AM
Wow, that was really interesting to read Insane Insaan :)

I guess thats simular to the bible code then? When they said the bible has hidden messages and predicted the war and 9/11 before it happend.

brotherubaid
12-18-2009, 06:02 PM
Brothers and sisters stay away from this guy and even HIS TRANSLATION

why??

Coz how do u know that he is translating it word for word or right way

I have come across translations in urdu n other languages where WORDS WERE ADDED TO THE VERSE which CHANGED THE WHOLE MEANING OF THE AYAH!!

So when u are reading the translation n u obviously dont know arabic how can u be sure its RIGHT?

And when it has been made apparent to u that the guy is a FREAK why would u even bother to read his translation.

He was a calamiy to the Ummah

And i would like to mention another important thing

People need to stop looking for signs n miracles and specially numerical miracles in The Quran like number 19 and all and even scientific , coz science can change , for example we have a surah in quran by the name of Al hadid , The Iron , and some one was trying to prove that something in the surah was 26 or adding something and something will give u 26 and the atomic number for iron is also 26. These type of things should be avoided coz lets say for instance , a 100 years from now some how its proved that its not 26 it 28, Then what will happen???? Wouldnt it mena that Quran was wrong naouzobillah.

Wht we need to take from that surah about Iron is what Allah tells us in it about Iron Himself He says

Indeed We have sent Our Messengers with clear proofs, and revealed with them the Scripture and the Balance (justice) that mankind may keep up justice. And We brought forth iron wherein is mighty power as well as many benefits for mankind

Whats the first verses in the Quran brothers n sisters

Surah al baqarah

Alif-Lâm-Mîm

2. This is the Book (the Qur'ân), whereof there is no doubt, a guidance to those who are Al-Muttaqûn [the pious and righteous persons who fear Allâh much ]
3. Who believe in the Ghaib [ Unseen] and perform As-Salât (Iqâmat-as-Salât), [] and spend out of what we have provided for them [i.e. give Zakât [], spend on themselves, their parents, their children, their wives, etc., and also give charity ]

This is the SIFFAH of Muslims , we believe in the Unseen , we know Quran is the word of Allah , the last revelation , yes there are manyscientific facts that quran told us like 1500 years ago which cience has uncovered now , but one should not get into making something out of something , adding numbers and drawing conclusions. Coz ur mathematics can be proved wrong and it will with it prove the quran to be wrong and u will look very stupid and make the whole Ummah look very stupid so be careful and Allahul Mustaan.

As far as the guy discussed , STAY AWAY FROM HIM AND HIS WORKS , its peole with no knoweldge of the deen that come up with crazy stuff which leads to notthing , rather if they sticked to knowledge , of arabic language , quran , hadeeth , fiqh , aqeedah n all it would have been much better for them.

Argamemnon
12-18-2009, 08:14 PM
Didn't he reject two verses for the sake of his "19" code? He also argued that he is a messenger or prophet I think. It's not even worth mentioning this person in my opinion.

Muhammad
12-18-2009, 08:22 PM

For a moment there I thought you were asking about our Head Admin, until I saw the rest of the title!

Ar-RaYYan
12-18-2009, 08:36 PM
^ SNAP! and i thought he was the OP waiting to know our opinion of him.

Woodrow
12-18-2009, 08:59 PM
I see him as a very strange cultist. Was an Egyptian/American Biochemist, decided he could improve on Islam and rewrote the Qur'an. A semi-educated idiot that wanted to found a religion based on his own ideas.

o_ahmad
07-29-2011, 12:13 AM
[QUOTE=o_ahmad;1456081]My opinion is that he is non-nonsensical.

I meant to say "nonsensical" not "non-nonsensical".

o_ahmad
07-29-2011, 08:03 PM
Oh yeah, and I also think he is ugly.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.