/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Question about public swimming pools

Asiyah3
12-16-2009, 02:54 PM
Is it permissible for a man to go to public swimming pools when there are also girls/women? This man says he will lower his gaze and won't look at the opposite sex. (Oh and his already went once)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Snowflake
12-18-2009, 07:12 PM
:sl:

A man must cover his awrah (navel to knee) with loose clothing even in front of other men. This isn't possible in swimming baths wearing swimming costumes. So as well as exposing himself inappropriately, he is fitnah for the women and them for him. He should avoid going to mixed swimming baths/gyms.

:sl:

Raaina
12-18-2009, 07:58 PM
You know, i'm not aware of are single sex swimming pools are gym's here :(

Asiyah3
12-18-2009, 08:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mystical_moon
May Allah find you one

You should try to search from the net etc. I myself never knew of that there were gyms for women (though I don't go to gyms), but I found few, alhaldulil-Lah. And also recently found a swimminghall too *(it's a nice place also) :statisfie It's not near, but I'm still very glad as long as I can go there.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Snowflake
12-18-2009, 10:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mystical_moon
:sl: There are plenty of gyms/swimming classes for women. If you don't know of any in your area check with your local library. However, I doubt you will find men-only pools/gyms. I seriously think it's high time mosques provided more services for the muslim community by establishing such places themselves rather than expecting everything to be done for them by others. God knows they get enough funds for it.

cat eyes
12-18-2009, 10:45 PM
the last time i went to a swimming pool was before i became a muslim then when i had reverted i knew i could no longer go wearing bikini anymore so i would not encorage a brother going because believe me he will never be able to control his gaze

Hamza Asadullah
12-19-2009, 08:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by _muslim_
Is it permissible for a man to go to public swimming pools when there are also girls/women? This man says he will lower his gaze and won't look at the opposite sex. (Oh and his already went once)
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, A Muslim is commanded to protect his religious commitment and to keep away from places of fitnah (temptation). Going to these beaches is haraam because of the uncovering of ‘awrahs and careless mixing between men and women that happen there.

Moreover these places are filled with evil things, so it is not permissible for you to go there, unless you are going to enjoin what is good and forbid what is evil. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever among you sees an evil action, let him change it with his hand [by taking action]; if he cannot, then with his tongue [by speaking out]; if he cannot, then with his heart [by hating it and feeling that it is wrong] – and that is the weakest of faith.”

(Narrated by Muslim, 49)

If you stay with them without enjoining what is good and forbidding what is evil, then you are partaking in sin with them. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And it has already been revealed to you in the Book (this Qur’aan) that when you hear the Verses of Allaah being denied and mocked at, then sit not with them, until they engage in a talk other than that; (but if you stayed with them) certainly in that case you would be like them. Surely, Allaah will collect the hypocrites and disbelievers all together in Hell”

[al-Nisa’ 4:140]

This verse indicates that whoever sits in a sinful gathering and does not denounce them shares the burden of sin equally with them. He should denounce them if they engage in sinful talk or sinful actions. If he is unable to denounce them then he should get up and leave them.

(Tafseer al-Qaasimi, 5/526)

Do not let the Shaytaan deceive you and make you say that you will not pay any attention to what other people are wearing. This is the deception of the Shaytaan, because if a person goes (to such places) his gaze will inevitably fall upon something that makes his Lord angry. A man may look at something unintentionally, but the Shaytaan can use this glance to great effect and make it the means that leads to fitnah, Allaah forbid. I ask Allaah to grant us and you refuge from being led astray by fitnah, and to make us steadfast.

May Allaah send blessings upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his family and companions.

And Allaah knows best.

Beardo
12-19-2009, 09:04 PM
If I ever want to go swimming, a few of my friends have swimming pools...

I'm sure someone at your local Masjid has a swimming pool they won't mind letting you dip in. Well, not skinny dip anyway, but a normal, DIGNIFIED dip.

you gotta be clear these days. :exhausted

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.