/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Olmert Peace Plan

mediadave
12-17-2009, 09:22 AM
I know that the Israel - Palestine situation is one of, if not the, most contentious and ire-raising issues on this board. And from my perspective, fair enough, although I support Israel's existance as a more or less secular democracy in the middle east, I don't for a moment support the occupation or settlement policy beyond the 1967 borders. But given that the Palestinians cannot beat Israel militarily, and Israel will never commit to a bi-national state, eventually Israel and Palestine will have to come to a negotiated treaty (and I know that at the moment the Israeli government is doing all they can to prevent that.)

But what sort of end result would be welcomed or tolerated here? I'm interested to know your opinions - particularly on the Olmert proposal, which seemed to come close to being accepted a couple of years ago. I assume that any actual deal will look similar to this - would this be acceptable?

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1135699.html

Olmert wanted to annex 6.3 percent of the West Bank to Israel, areas that are home to 75 percent of the Jewish population of the territories. His proposal would have also involved evacuation of dozens of settlements in the Jordan Valley, in the eastern Samarian hills and in the Hebron region. In return for the annexation to Israel of Ma'aleh Adumim, the Gush Etzion bloc of settlements, Ariel, Beit Aryeh and settlements adjacent to Jerusalem, Olmert proposed the transfer of territory to the Palestinians equivalent to 5.8 percent of the area of the West Bank as well as a safe-passage route from Hebron to the Gaza Strip via a highway that would remain part of the sovereign territory of Israel but where there would be no Israeli presence.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
The_Prince
12-17-2009, 10:57 PM
nonsense, how are you going to have those areas still be part of Israel in the mainly future state of Palestine? will those settlements cease having children? NO, they will have kids, and as the population grows, so does the need for more land to be able to accomadate the growing population, and then what? also what about Palestinians who live inbetween the settlements, or close by to the settlements?? they obviously still have to get harassed, wont be able to move around fast and freely, and will have to go through checkpoints, check ins and all that nonsense.

Argamemnon
12-18-2009, 01:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by mediadave
But given that the Palestinians cannot beat Israel militarily, and Israel will never commit to a bi-national state, eventually Israel and Palestine will have to come to a negotiated treaty (and I know that at the moment the Israeli government is doing all they can to prevent that.)
Israel and the US have been blocking the international consensus (two-state settlement) for decades. Not Palestinians or Arabs. I will comment later on the "proposal".

Pygoscelis
12-18-2009, 03:42 AM
There is a place in Israel called "Canada Park"? How'd that happen?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Supreme
12-18-2009, 09:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
There is a place in Israel called "Canada Park"? How'd that happen?
Yeah, I found that rather wierd too.

sister herb
12-18-2009, 04:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mediadave

This your map is fantacy what zionists like to show to westerners. This last one on right is reality today:

:skeleton:

Pygoscelis
12-19-2009, 08:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supreme
Yeah, I found that rather wierd too.
Turns out the Canadians have been the third claimants to Israel all along, but were too polite to ever bring it up :p

Pomak
12-20-2009, 01:10 PM
Let me guess, Israel gets its "undivided Jerusalem"?

I mean its better than previous solutions that were offered but really the problem lies in Jerusalem+ the dividing the country into two. I mean can someone name any country in the history of the world which was split into two parts with an enemy right in the middle and the country was able to exist for prolonged periods of time.

AlHoda
12-20-2009, 07:10 PM
Peace plan, why am I not suprised. I will never support for Isreal's existence, NEVER!. But this peace plans is going nowhere. How many 'peace plans' have there been and none of them have ever worked. May Allah (swt) have mercy on the palestinians.

GuestFellow
12-20-2009, 08:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister harb
This your map is fantacy what zionists like to show to westerners. This last one on right is reality today:

http://www.axisoflogic.com/artman/up...dloss2_001.jpg

:skeleton:
Israel is greedy. :hmm:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.