/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Music is halal?

Samiun
12-18-2009, 02:27 AM
I asked a question on "Music is haram" yesterday to a educated muslim, and he says it is halal.Now what this means is, he knows that Music is haram BUT the statement "Music is haram" is argued by scholars all around the world.So when a scholar argues about something which is haram/halal, he told me to just pick the halal path and there was this Dr.Professor which I know of said that he said music is halal too :)

What are your thoughts?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
BlackMamba
12-18-2009, 02:59 AM
Music is 100% haram.

CosmicPathos
12-18-2009, 03:30 AM
Music is haram. My fitra fails to accept that music, which can control my thoughts, is allowed in Islam.

brotherubaid
12-18-2009, 03:54 AM
ولا تقولوا لما تصف ألسنتكم الكذب هذا حلال وهذا حرام لتفتروا على الله الكذب إن الذين يفترون على الله الكذب لا يفلحون متاع قليل ولهم عذاب أليم

The Quran , Surah An Nahl

116. And say not concerning that which your tongues put forth falsely: "This is lawful and this is forbidden," so as to invent lies against Allâh. Verily, those who invent lies against Allâh will never prosper.

117. A passing brief enjoyment (will be theirs), but they will have a painful torment.

So first of All one should be very careful when calling something halal and haram

Only brothers n sister we could understand one thing that our deen is based on evience and when one should talk about the deen they should talk with evidence. Present ur proof n the proof is of two types

Qaal Allah ( Allah said) subahanhu wa taala
Qaal al rasool ( The messenger said) sala lahu alihi wa sallam

Only if we can understand this life gets a lot easier , coz if u go about listeing to everyones opinions , u will get as many opinions as many people are out there , Billions. It becomes easy to differntiate between the right and wrong.

So only if we could look for Islam , deen , fiqh , aqeedah , halal n haram in those above metioned two sources 1) Allahs words 2) The Prophet sala lahu alihi wa sallam's words but the authentic ones , the saheeh ones we would be JUST fine.

Now as far as this person ,( May Allah guide him) is concerned has said he has completely fallen in the verse i mentioned above , Saying with his toune that such and such is halal without brining any evidence n Quoting a " Proffesor" Now let me tell u not only a proffesor can be very wrong , even religious people like muftis n imams can be right or wrong, what will determine if they are right and wrong? their statements will be weighed in the scales of Quarn n Sunnah the hadith n InshahAllah it will be clear if this person is giving us the right ruling or just running his mouth n following his desires.

Here i will also like to quote what the Prophet Sala Lahu alihi wa sallam said about times liek our times

Indeed Allah does not take knowledge away from removing it from the chest of the people, but rather with the death of the scholars. Until eventually, no scholars will remain and the people will take the ignorant as their leaders, and they will ask them questions, and these ignorant people will give rulings without knowledge ( in another narration “based on their opinions”), leading themselves and others astray. (Bukhari, Muslim, At-Tirmidhee, Ahmad, and others)

So why take opinions from some of the people around today whose opinion clearely go against the Quran n sunnah n also against the pious precedors , like the Sahaba n the tabieen n those who came after them , Like the Four Imams n other imams besides them , The first three generations about whom the prophet sala lahu alihi wa salam said , the best of generations is my generation n then those who will come after them n those who will come after them , like the first 300 years of Islam , why cant we trace back n see what THEY WERE UPON?? what did they consider MUSIC?? did they consider it hala or haram?? Coz Wallah the closer they wre to the Prophe salal lahu alihi wa sllam the more understanding of the deen they were.

So for some IGNORANT to come out and say Music is halal He would have to be reminded that ALL THE FOUR IMAMS CONSIDERED IT HARAM , the sahaba considered it HARAM n greatly disliked n hated it.

Leave all that alone , we have clear ayaat from the quraan n clear texts from the authentic sunnah proving music to be haram, so how can a claimer claim that it is HALAL?? may be he is way too smart or way too dumb , if he is way too smart , even smarter than the sahaba n tabieen n the Prophet him self sala lahu alihi wa sallam then may be i will take this ruling from him , BUt i honestly cant buy that.

So here i quote SOME of the eviences from Quran N Sunnah and by Allah , for the true believer even one Hadith is enough or an ayah

Quran

And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks (i.e. music, singing) to mislead (men) from the path of Allaah without knowledge, and takes it (the path of Allaah, or the Verses of the Qur’aan) by way of mockery. For such there will be a humiliating torment (in the Hell-fire).” [Luqmaan 31:6]

Ibn Mas’ood – may Allaah be pleased with him – used to swear that what this referred to was singing, because undoubtedly singing misleads people far away from the path of Allaah by wasting their time.

It was reported from Abu ‘Aamir and Ibn Maalik al-Ash’ari (may Allaah be pleased with them) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There will be among my ummah people who will permit illegal sexual activity (zinaa), silk, alcohol and musical instruments…” (narrated by al-Bukhaari).

The meaning of the phrase “[they] will permit illegal sexual activity (zinaa), silk, alcohol and musical instruments…” is that these things are basically haraam. The word translated as “there will be” refers to something which will happen in the future. What this means is that there will be people who regard as halaal and allow themselves
things that are haraam, such as zinaa, silk(for men) and musical instruments.

It was reported from Anas (may Allaah be pleased with him) in a marfoo’ report: “In this ummah there will be landslides, stones falling from heaven and transformation (of humans into monkeys, etc.). This will happen when alcohol is drunk, when people bring in female singers and play musical instruments.” (Narrated by al-Tirmidhi

The earlier scholars, such as Imaam Ahmad (may Allaah have mercy on him) stated that musical instruments – such as the ‘ood (lute), tanboor (long-necked stringed instrument similar to a mandolin), shabbaab (reed flute) and rabaab (stringed instrument resembling a fiddle) – are haraam, so the instruments that are known nowadays, which cause far more fitnah (temptation) are even more haraam than those which were known to the earlier scholars.

The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“Among my ummah there will certainly be people who permit zinaa, silk, alcohol and musical instruments…” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari ta’leeqan, no. 5590; narrated as mawsool by al-Tabaraani and al-Bayhaqi. See al-Silsilah al-Saheehah by al-Albaani, 91).

Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: This is a saheeh hadeeth narrated by al-Bukhaari in his Saheeh, where he quoted it as evidence and stated that it is mu’allaq and majzoom. He said: Chapter on what was narrated concerning those who permit alcohol and call it by another name.

This hadeeth indicates in two ways that musical instruments and enjoyment of listening to music are haraam. The first is the fact that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “[they] permit” which clearly indicates that the things mentioned, including musical instruments, are haraam according to sharee’ah, but those people will permit them. The second is the fact that musical instruments are mentioned alongside things which are definitely known to be haraam, i.e., zinaa and alcohol: if they (musical instruments) were not haraam, why would they be mentioned alongside these things? (adapted from al-Silsilah al-Saheehah by al-Albaani, 1/140-141)

It was narrated that Naafi’ (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: Ibn ‘Umar heard a woodwind instrument, and he put his fingers in his ears and kept away from that path. He said to me, O Naafi’, can you hear anything? I said, No. So he took his fingers away from his ears and said: I was with the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and he heard something like this, and he did the same thing. (Saheeh Abi Dawood).

And there is soooo much evience from the first generations about prohibition of music , Its amazing how can some one come and say its HALAL ?!!

Do we not even fear Allah even a little bit? Are we not sure about the hereafter and that we will be made to stand before ALLAH? and we will have to answer ??

Al-Albaani (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: The four madhhabs are agreed that all musical instruments are haraam. (al-Saheehah, 1/145).

Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: The madhhab of Abu Haneefah is the strictest in this regard, and his comments are among the harshest. His companions clearly stated that it is haraam to listen to all musical instruments such as the flute and the drum, even tapping a stick. They stated that it is a sin which implies that a person is a faasiq (rebellious evil doer) whose testimony should be rejected. They went further than that and said that listening to music is fisq (rebellion, evildoing) and enjoying it is kufr (disbelief). This is their words. They narrated in support of that a hadeeth which could not be attributed to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). They said: he should try not to hear it if he passes by it or it is in his vicinity. Abu Yoosuf said, concerning a house from which could be heard the sound of musical instruments: Go in without their permission, because forbidding evil actions is obligatory, and if it were not allowed to enter without permission, people could not have fulfilled the obligatory duty (of enjoining what is good and forbidding what is evil). (Ighaathat al-Lahfaan, 1/425).

And as far as this persons comment about when theer is a dispute about haram n halal , just go with the hala way , i say i HAVE NEVER HEARED ANYTHING MORE IGNORANT THAT THAT!

so basically if there was the issue of mutah (the temporary marriage) disputed , some say hala and some say haram u will just go the halal way???

and i can go on and on with the examples , this is just Ignorance.

may Allah save us all

I got help and refrences to write this post from www.islam-qa.com and particularly from here http://www.islam-qa.com/en/cat/2008#1290

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Samiun
12-18-2009, 08:05 AM
Thank you brotherubaid... I can't believe that he(The Dr.Professor) could make such a mistake?I'm not bragging or anything but, he was known in his area as one of the most holiest of holy person there...

I can't believe this :(

CosmicPathos
12-18-2009, 08:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nabiel
Thank you brotherubaid... I can't believe that he(The Dr.Professor) could make such a mistake?I'm not bragging or anything but, he was known in his area as one of the most holiest of holy person there...

I can't believe this :(
what do you mean "holiest of holy?" No human can be holy. All are sinners except Prophets who are masoom.

brotherubaid
12-18-2009, 12:27 PM
In our times those considered most righetous in many countries n many asian conutries are either " roous ul juhaal" HEADS OF THE IGNORANT as the prophet Sala lahu alihi wa sallam called them in the famous hadeeth OR

Or Innovators and folowers of desires , as is the case with ur professor , coz the evidence are way too many for any Muslim to deny the fact that it is as HARAM as IT GETS! im sure the professor is a follower of one of the 4 mathaib , hanafi or shafi etc , so even if he will look at his Imam his claims would be destroyed coz his Imam will not approve of it , and if he would look at the Imams of all the Imams , the rophet sala lahu alihi wa sallam he will find its prohibited , and if he would look into the lifs of the best of human beings after Prophets , the sahaba , he would find that the most higher ranked Sahabas disagree with him so basically its such a dilema for him , he cant run or hide and just has an opinion that no one SIGNIFICANT in the past 1400 years had , so may be he is realy smart or may be way too dumb.So clearly a follower of his desires and opinion not a person who takes deen from evidence n daleel

Or

the most respected , and righteous-looking people in our times are also Shayteen of Inns , Shayateen of humans , and magicians as all they have is taweezes and talsamaat n other wtchcraft so dont be surprised if stupid and baseless opinions now a days come from the most famous n righteous people around , coz they in reality are just the frineds of shaytaan and not the Friends of Rahmaan and Allahul Mustaan

Samiun
12-18-2009, 02:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Wa7abiScientist
what do you mean "holiest of holy?" No human can be holy. All are sinners except Prophets who are masoom.
I mean the guy that I mentioned has a family background that have a lot of iman.All his brothers(I think) including him followed his father's footsteps which is probably a scholar. Among his brother he was the holiest of holy. That's what I meant by "holiest of holy" not that he doesn't have sins and whatnot..

It's like reading a fiction story you know. You rarely get these type of legacy these days..

IbnAbdulHakim
12-18-2009, 03:27 PM
you know whats funny?

yesterday i was reading imam ghazali's ihya ulum ud'din in which it mentions the opinions of the four imams on how they disapproved of SINGING (not music) and yet people try to dispute the permissability of music.

Its turning into a joke...

cat eyes
12-18-2009, 03:52 PM
there has been loads of stories where people who have listened to music all there life and then when they are dying they actually start singing the verses of a song. pretty freaky and scary so inshaAllah don't listen to music bro/sis instead recite the beautiful words of Allah swt

AhmadibnNasroon
12-18-2009, 04:25 PM
Narrated Abu 'Amir or Abu Malik Al-Ash'ari that he heard the Prophet saying, "From among my followers there will be some people who will consider illegal sexual intercourse, the wearing of silk, the drinking of alcoholic drinks, and the use of musical instruments as lawful. And (from them), there will be some who will stay near the side of a mountain, and in the evening their shepherd will come to them with their sheep and ask them for something, but they will say to him, 'Return to us tomorrow.' Allah will destroy them during the night and will let the mountain fall on them, and Allah will transform the rest of them into monkeys and pigs and they will remain so till the Day of Resurrection." - (Al Bukhari)

Ğħαrєєвαħ
12-29-2009, 10:15 PM
Aslaamu alaaykum..
Based on some hadith,, its Haram!!
One hadith from the Bukhari Shareef, the most authentic Book of Hadith, further confirms unlawfulness of music and singing :

`There will be people of my Ummah who will seek to make lawful; fornication, wine-drinking and the use of ma`aazif ( musical instruments ).`
Detailed analysis of the arabic word `ma`aazif ` shows that it refers to musical instruments, the sounds of those musical instruments and singing with the accompaniment of instruments.
Closer analysis of the wordings of the Hadith establishes the prohibition of music. Firstly, the words `seek to make lawful ` shows that music is not permissible, as logically one can only seek to make lawful that which is not allowed. Secondly, if music was not prohibited, then it would not have been brought within the same context as fornication and wine-drinking.

In Book #69, Hadith #494 “From among my followers there will be some people who will consider illegal sexual intercourse, the wearing of silk, the drinking of alcoholic drinks and the use of musical instruments, as lawful.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
12-29-2009, 10:19 PM
"The overwhelming majority of scholars consider music to be Haram, based on the following verse:

"And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks (i.e. music, singing, etc.) to mislead (men) from the Path of Allah without knowledge, and takes it (the Path of Allah, the Verses of the Quran) by way of mockery. For such there will be a humiliating torment (in the Hell-Fire)". (Surah Luqman 31:6)

This is however true, because it does lead people to forget about Allaah and dance to the tunes etc..
Abdullah Ibn Mas’ood used to swear that the meaning of idle talk was singing. This view was held by Ibn Abbas (RA) and other Sahabah as well. Ibn Mas’ood used to say that music is to the hypocrisy as water is to a plant. The scholars are agreed that when singing is accompanied with music, then the prohibition is even stronger.

'Abd-al Latif
12-29-2009, 10:25 PM
:salamext:

Do not pay attention to what people say about Islam unless it's backed up from the Qur'an or Sunnah. It isn't enough to say that so-and-so is knowledgeable, he must bring his evidence.

View more info on this topic here: http://www.islamicboard.com/miscella...415-music.html

:threadclo

'Abd-al Latif
12-30-2009, 12:28 AM
Here is another thread on music: http://www.islamicboard.com/worship-...an-sunnah.html

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.