/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Mentioning the prophet (saw) during Salat?

Argamemnon
12-18-2009, 08:34 PM
Salam,

The dua At-Tahiyyat, which we recite during salat, mentions the prophet (saw), although it doesn't praise the prophet (saw), which would have been shirk. However, during the prophet's (saw) time, he did recite this dua, but never mentioned himself. That part was added later..

We know that the prophet (saw) never recited the dua Allahumma Barik and Allahumma Salli while praying. Wouldn't it be better to recite the same duas the prophet (saw) himself recited and not add things to them (At-Tahiyyatu)? And why do we have to mention our prophet (saw) in the duas? This may not be wrong, but why not do exactly as the prophet (saw) did?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
imam bukhari
12-18-2009, 09:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Argamemnon
Salam,

The dua At-Tahiyyat, which we recite during salat, mentions the prophet (saw), although it doesn't praise the prophet (saw), which would have been shirk. However, during the prophet's (saw) time, he did recite this dua, but never mentioned himself. That part was added later..

We know that the prophet (saw) never recited the dua Allahumma Barik and Allahumma Salli while praying. Wouldn't it be better to recite the same duas the prophet (saw) himself recited and not add things to them (At-Tahiyyatu)? And why do we have to mention our prophet (saw) in the duas? This may not be wrong, but why not do exactly as the prophet (saw) did?
Assalaam o alaykum,

The prophet DID send salam upon himself. and he DID mention himself. All the answers of ur questions can be found here:
http://www.qss.org/articles/salah/13.html#RTFToC5

yes it wouyld be better to recite what the prophet did, and he recited this dua upon himself (allaahu salli..... and; Allaahum baarik...), so no-one is adding to them.

read the link and all shal be cleared insha-Allaah.

with all due respect akhi, you should always verify your information...

May Allaah forgive us all, ameen

wassalaam o alaykum

Akhookum

P.s, i dont know that would have been shirk to praise the prophet in salah?!

Argamemnon
12-18-2009, 11:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by imam bukhari
he recited this dua upon himself (allaahu salli..... and; Allaahum baarik...) , so no-one is adding to them.

P.s, i dont know that would have been shirk to praise the prophet in salah?!
Wa alaikum Assalam,

well, according to a prominent Islamic scholar, the prophet (saw) never read Allahumma Salli and Allahumma Barik, unless I'm misreading things... which is possible, it's a habit of mine..

EDIT: I checked again and I'm even more confused. It's not clear whether he is saying that the prophet (saw) "never" read Allahumma Salli and Allahumma Barik, or that there is no proof, or.. ? I don't know what he means.

But he CLEARLY says that the dua At-Tahiyyat we read today is different from the At-Tahiyyat that the prophet (saw) read while praying (he didn't mention himself, that part was added later after his death).

As to praising the prophet (saw) during salat; yes it would be shirk because we are not praying for our prophet (saw), we are praying for Allah, we are submitting to Him alone. This is a tawheed principle (we can't set up partners with Him).

:wa:

imam bukhari
12-23-2009, 04:01 PM
assalaam o alaykum akhi,

Wa alaikum Assalam,

well, according to a prominent Islamic scholar, the prophet (saw) never read Allahumma Salli and Allahumma Barik, unless I'm misreading things... which is possible, it's a habit of mine..

EDIT: I checked again and I'm even more confused. It's not clear whether he is saying that the prophet (saw) "never" read Allahumma Salli and Allahumma Barik, or that there is no proof, or.. ? I don't know what he means.
the post i posted above CLEARLY shows proof that he (saw) DID send salaah upon himself, please refer to that...

But he CLEARLY says that the dua At-Tahiyyat we read today is different from the At-Tahiyyat that the prophet (saw) read while praying (he didn't mention himself, that part was added later after his death).
it is nor TOTALY different. the only diference is, is that we say 'assalaamu alan-naby...' instead of 'asalaamu alayka ayu hunabiyu...'

besides this it is ALL exactly the same

please provide proof 4 ur opinion, as i did mine (i mean no offense-its just a suggestion)

As to praising the prophet (saw) during salat; yes it would be shirk because we are not praying for our prophet (saw), we are praying for Allah, we are submitting to Him alone. This is a tawheed principle (we can't set up partners with Him).

:wa:
we are not praying FOR allaah, we are praying TO Allaah for ourselves... By praising the prophet in salah this is not shirk, Allaahu akbar, where does this mentality come from?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.