/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Al-Khidr - a prophet or not

mohi
12-20-2009, 06:32 PM
Brother/sisters, Assalamu Alaikum. I came across some stories from the era of Prophet Musa (a.s). Is he a prophet? Some muslim historians say that he is still alive. If so, a prophet is still alive - why cannot he lead us from troubles we see in this world?

Your views are appreciated. Regards, Mohiuddin

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Brasco
01-13-2010, 10:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mohi
Brother/sisters, Assalamu Alaikum. I came across some stories from the era of Prophet Musa (a.s). Is he a prophet? Some muslim historians say that he is still alive. If so, a prophet is still alive - why cannot he lead us from troubles we see in this world?

Your views are appreciated. Regards, Mohiuddin
:sl:

I try to give you a proper answer insha'allah! I'll quote the opinion of ar raazi. His tafsir says, that he was a prophet due to many scholars considered him to be a prophet. Another proof he gives is that Musa (pbh) humbled himself towards him:

“May I follow you so that you teach me something of that knowledge (guidance and true path) which you have been taught (by Allaah)?”[18:66]
I, however, think, that he was a chosen man, whether a prophet or not. Al Khidr was given lots of knowledge - he knew things which only Allah ta'ala could have taught him. Starting from the Salam to Musa and Yoshua (pbut) till the interpretation of the events, which occurred on their way.
:wa:

abu_musab461
01-13-2010, 10:52 PM
There is a sahih hadith when Musa (as) and Khidr (as) were on the ship they saw a bird take a sip of water into its beak. and Khidr (as) said "My knowledge and your knowledge is like the water in the beak of that bird compared to the knowledge of Allah (swt) which is like a vast ocean"

if i find the reference to the hadith i'll post it up

abu_musab461
01-13-2010, 10:56 PM
The reason why i'm inclined towards the opinion that Khidr (as) was a prophet is because it is the belief of Alhe Sunnah wal Jama that the greatest people on the face of this earth are the prophets and then the siddiqeen, suhadah and saliheen.. as mentioned in the ayat.

So how can a awliya of Allah or siddiqeen be followed by a prophet?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
mohi
01-16-2010, 09:26 PM
Thank you brothers

Uthman
01-17-2010, 10:52 AM
I heard Sheikh Yasir Qadhi say that Al-Khidr was a Prophet of Allah and not a Wali. He said that it is not possible for a Wali of Allah to have a higher status than a Prophet. I also heard Sheikh Salem al-Amry say that Al-Khidr was a Prophet of Allah.

Tawangar
12-28-2010, 07:21 AM
There is no agreement over Khidr(as) being a Nabi.

gohar98
12-28-2010, 07:31 AM
Well I never heard about it but only Hazrat Isa[a.s] is alive and he will come before akhirat.

Yanal
12-28-2010, 09:28 AM
:sl:

Praise be to Allaah. *
The from the general meaning of the Qur’aanic verses it appears* that he was a Prophet.*

Shaykh al-Shanqeeti (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in his commentary on the aayah (interpretation of the meaning)*

“Then they found one of Our slaves, on whom We had bestowed mercy from Us, and whom We had taught knowledge from Us”

[al-Kahf 18:65]*

“But it may be understood from some aayahs that the mercy mentioned here was the mercy of Prophethood, and that this knowledge which came from Allaah was the knowledge of revelation (wahy)… It is known that mercy and the bestowal of knowledge from Allaah is more general and comes in more ways than via Prophethood. The fact that something general exists does not necessarily imply that something more specific exists, as is well known. One of the indications that the mercy and knowledge with which Allaah blessed His slave al-Khidr came by way of Prophethood and revelation is the aayah (interpretation of the meaning):*

“And I did them not of my own accord”[al-Kahf 18:82]*

i.e., rather I did them by the command of Allaah, and the command of Allaah is only conveyed via wahy (revelation), because there is no way for the commands and prohibitions of Allaah to be known except through revelation from Allaah, especially with regard to the killing of an apparently innocent soul and damaging a ship by making a hole in it, because committing acts of aggression against people’s lives and wealth can only be validated via revelation from Allaah. Allaah has restricted the method of warning to revelation as He says (interpretation of the meaning):*

“Say (O Muhammad): “I warn you only by the Revelation”
[al-Anbiya’ 21:45]*

the word innama (translated here as “only”) implies limitation or restriction.*

Adwaa’ al-Bayaan, 4/172, 173*

And he said:*

From all of this we know that al-Khidr’s killing the boy and making a hole in the ship, and his saying,*

“And I did them not of my own accord”

[al-Kahf 18:82 – interpretation of the meaning]]*

clearly indicate that he was a Prophet. Al-Fakhr al-Raazi, in his tafseer, attributed the view that he was a Prophet to many scholars. Another factor that may indicate that he was a Prophet is the fact that Moosa (peace be upon him) humbled himself before him and said (interpretation of the meaning):*

“May I follow you so that you teach me something of that knowledge (guidance and true path) which you have been taught (by Allaah)?”[al-Kahf 18:66]*

“If Allaah wills, you will find me patient, and I will not disobey you in aught”[al-Kahf 18:69]*

even though al-Khidr said to him (interpretation of the meaning):*

“And how can you have patience about a thing which you know not?” [al-Kahf 18:68]*

Adwaa’ al-Bayaan, 3/326.
http://islamqa.com/en/ref/21793

Saad17
12-28-2010, 02:37 PM
Theres a chance that he was just an angel in disguise because I don't think that a human can follow Allah's order so flawlessly (that is, the killing of a boy, damaging the boat and all)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.