/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Jewish Temple

Supreme
12-20-2009, 11:57 PM
The Second Jewish Temple was the holiest place in Judaism for hundreds of years until it was regrettably destroyed by the Romans. These videos provide more detailed (albeit brief) information on its destruction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cn9b...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBXeq...eature=related

As far as I understand, the Temple was a place of unimaginable holiness and beauty. Then it was destroyed. Think the equivalent of the destruction of the Vatican for Catholics, Mecca for Muslims or the Harmandi Sahib for Sikhs and you're along the right lines of how devestating an event this was. However, I firmly believe that another Temple should be built. Why? Well:

1) It was a work of art. If we could build another temple that resembles the 2nd Temple, we'll have one of the most beautiful buildings on the planet.
2) The Jews deserve a place of worship! Yes, the Temple Mount and Wailing Wall are all very well and good, but Judaism needs a building where Jews from across the world can come and sit down and just worship in.
3) I'm a Christian. The Temple is mentioned numerous times in the Bible, and was frequented by Jesus, so is an important part of Christian history. I would HATE for a new Temple to be hijacked by Christians as a Christian place of worship, however, and I'd love it if non-Jews were prohibited from entering the Temple.

Obviously, we need money and a place tt build the Temple. The Temple Mount would do nicely (it could co-exist with the neighbouring Dome of Rock), but such is a fantasy, so I would highly recommend the Mount of Olives.

So:

Do you support another Temple for the Jews?AND
Where do you think it should be built?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
MuslimCONVERT
12-22-2009, 12:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supreme
The Second Jewish Temple was the holiest place in Judaism for hundreds of years until it was regrettably destroyed by the Romans. These videos provide more detailed (albeit brief) information on its destruction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cn9b...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBXeq...eature=related

As far as I understand, the Temple was a place of unimaginable holiness and beauty. Then it was destroyed. Think the equivalent of the destruction of the Vatican for Catholics, Mecca for Muslims or the Harmandi Sahib for Sikhs and you're along the right lines of how devestating an event this was. However, I firmly believe that another Temple should be built. Why? Well:

1) It was a work of art. If we could build another temple that resembles the 2nd Temple, we'll have one of the most beautiful buildings on the planet.
2) The Jews deserve a place of worship! Yes, the Temple Mount and Wailing Wall are all very well and good, but Judaism needs a building where Jews from across the world can come and sit down and just worship in.
3) I'm a Christian. The Temple is mentioned numerous times in the Bible, and was frequented by Jesus, so is an important part of Christian history. I would HATE for a new Temple to be hijacked by Christians as a Christian place of worship, however, and I'd love it if non-Jews were prohibited from entering the Temple.

Obviously, we need money and a place tt build the Temple. The Temple Mount would do nicely (it could co-exist with the neighbouring Dome of Rock), but such is a fantasy, so I would highly recommend the Mount of Olives.

So:

Do you support another Temple for the Jews?AND
Where do you think it should be built?
Salaam [peace].

I absolutely do, so long as it isn't build in a place that violates the rights of others, and so long as pre-existing structures, particularly pre-existing religious structures, aren't destroyed or harmed in order to do so.

In fact, according to Shari'ah, it is the responsibility of any Muslim government that has Christian and Jewish subjects to not only build, but maintain Synagogues and Churches... the point I'm making is, I see no reason a Muslim would object to a Jewish house of worship built anywhere that doesn't cause harm or distress to others...

Salaam

Grace Seeker
12-24-2009, 03:29 PM
Depends on whether I view it as a religious or a political question.
(I know, reality is that we can't compartmentalize our thinking like that, but I'm going to try.)

From a purely political perspective, I think that the people of any given land should have the autonomy to peacably and non-abusively do whatever they want as long as it doesn't infringe upon the health, safety, freedom, and legal rights of others. Thus if the nation of Israel wants to build a temple to be used for Jewish worship, and the citizenry of Israel don't object government funds being used for such a project and it can be done where it doesn't threaten the peace of the land and in harmony with my other concerns, by all means they should do it.

The same could be said of any private interest group.

As for where? If it is just to have a beautiful building some place in the world for a small group of people that are scattered worldwide to have as "their place" of worship, it could be pretty much anywhere. Heck, they could build it on some patch of empty desertland near Salt Lake for all I care.

Now, as a religious question, I'm actually against it. The temple need not be some magnificent structure that draws attention to itself. Not when it is about a place to worship the God who does not live in buildings made by human hands. The magnificence of the 2nd temple that you refer to wasn't done to bring glory to God, but to bring glory to Herod, its architect. I think it is idolatry to try to repeat that, there is far too much idolatry already in the construction of buildings for God, we don't need to magnify it with yet another opulant structure while we neglect serving the needs of the poor, homeless, orphan, and widow that God tells us are our first obligations when it comes to serving him.

Personally, I think that if one is going to build a temple to God in Israel, other than that which already is supposed to exist of our own bodies dedicated to him, let's tear down the monstrous Christian churches that have been as shrines to the birth of Jesus and erect a humble stable in Bethlehem and declare this to be the location of the new temple. But really, I think that I would rather wait for God to build his own temple at Christ's second coming.

Rabi Mansur
12-24-2009, 06:07 PM
:sl:

I like the idea of a Jewish temple. But, what are they going to use it for?

Perform animal sacrifices again?

:wa:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Raaina
12-24-2009, 06:11 PM
and I'd love it if non-Jews were prohibited from entering the Temple.
Why would you love it if non-jews were prohibited from the temple? I LOVE visiting religious buildings and temples, because they are interesting and usually beautifully decorated... I don't understand why you'd want to stop non jews going in? imsad

Supreme
12-24-2009, 07:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mystical_moon
Why would you love it if non-jews were prohibited from the temple? I LOVE visiting religious buildings and temples, because they are interesting and usually beautifully decorated... I don't understand why you'd want to stop non jews going in? imsad
The same reason you don't allow non Muslims in the mosque in Mecca... desecration.

Raaina
12-24-2009, 07:16 PM
Ohh I understand.

Still kinda sad though, religious buildings are so amazing and beautiful.

Supreme
12-24-2009, 07:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mystical_moon
Ohh I understand.

Still kinda sad though, religious buildings are so amazing and beautiful.
Oh I understand, and yes, I have visited a few beautiful churches, mosques and synagogues in my life, although with the holiest site in any religion, their wishes for it to not be turned into a tourist attraction should be respected. For when a holy site turns into a tourist attraction, it looses its holinessc and sacredness.

Raaina
12-24-2009, 07:25 PM
although with the holiest site in any religion, their wishes for it to not be turned into a tourist attraction should be respected. For when a holy site turns into a tourist attraction, it looses its holinessc and sacredness.
You do actually have a point there :statisfie

Grace Seeker
12-24-2009, 11:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by rabimansur
:sl:

I like the idea of a Jewish temple. But, what are they going to use it for?

Perform animal sacrifices again?

:wa:
If the temple were ever to be rebuilt, this is exactly what I understand from Orthodox Jews that they would expect to do in it.

Also, if you had lived in the days of the 2nd temple, you would have been allowed only in to the outer courts of it. The 2 inner courts were reserved for Jews and the most inner sanctum for only the high priest and then only on the day of the atonement. There was actually a sign at the passage leading from the outer courts to the inner ones that read "Death to all non-Jews who enter here." Interestingly, though it was on the Jewish temple, it was the sign was written in Greek.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.