/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Picture on the wall

Insecured soul
12-21-2009, 08:56 AM
Salaam alaikum people,

My dad has kept a picture of someone (its hanging on the wall) inside our bedroom and i guess in our religion its not allowed to do that? is that right?

if yes, then let me know how i can convince him to remove it?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aadil77
12-21-2009, 09:57 AM
Praise be to Allaah.

It is not permissible to hang up pictures at all, whether of children or adults. That is because of the stern prohibition narrated from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) against keeping pictures and his command to ‘Ali (may Allaah be pleased with him): “Do not leave any image without erasing it or any raised grave without leveling it.” Narrated by Muslim, 1/66

Hence pictures must be removed, erased or burned and not kept.

Hanging up pictures of animate beings inside houses or elsewhere deprives the people of that place of a great deal of good, which is the angels’ entering that house. It was narrated from Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri (may Allaah have mercy on him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The angels do not enter a house in which there are statues or images.” Narrated by Imam Ahmad; Saheeh al-Jaami’, 1961.

It is permissible to hang up pictures of inanimate things such as trees, mountains, seas and natural views, or other inanimate drawings, without being extravagant.

Islam Q&A
You can try quoting him the hadith above

Insecured soul
12-21-2009, 11:41 AM
good enough brother, jazak allah khair

salaam alaikum

Hamza Asadullah
12-21-2009, 11:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Adib Shaikh
Salaam alaikum people,

My dad has kept a picture of someone (its hanging on the wall) inside our bedroom and i guess in our religion its not allowed to do that? is that right?

if yes, then let me know how i can convince him to remove it?
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb,

Picture frames and photographs of animate objects are not permissible to display. Frames having pictures of inanimate objects e.g. trees, mountains, etc. are permissible.

- Hadhrat Abu Talha (Radhiyallaahu Anhu) narrates that Nabi (Sallallaahu A'layhi Wasallam) said, 'Angels do not enter a house wherein there is a dog or picture.' (Mishk'at vol. 2 p. 385)

A'bdullah ibn Mas'aod (Radhiyallaahu A'nhu) narrates that Rasulullah (Sallallaahu A'layhi Wasallam) said, 'The people with the most severe punishment by Allah will be the picture makers.' (Ibid).

Hadhrat Ibn Abbas (RA) narrates, "I heard the messenger of Allah saying,

"Every picture-maker will be in the fire. A life will be created for every picture the picture-maker made, and he will be tortured in Hell."

If you have to make pictures (says Ibn Abbaas) then make a picture of a tree or such things which are inanimate." (Bukhari and Muslim)

However, if the frames are of inanimate objects but containing verses of the Noble Qur'an, Hadith and names of Allah Ta'aala then extreme caution must be taken where these frames are hung. If hung at home in the lounge or sitting room then due respect should be shown by not using vulgar language or smoking there.

and Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

Mufti Ebrahim Desai
FATWA DEPT.

Just explain to your father in a gentle, respectful and loving manner that the pictures must be taken down immediatley because angels do not enter the homes of those containing animate pictures and he will understand inshallah.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.