/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Persuasive speech

جوري
12-23-2009, 03:39 AM
:sl:

I haven't taken a communication course in my life my focus was on science and very little humanities--what I have pursued was on the side (of personal interest and outside of academia)

I have to give alot of morning reports, where in general I don't waste time and dive right into the topic, but from experience I notice that injecting a little bit of self into a topic makes the audience awake..

I'd like to kindly ask you for tips if you have had formal education in the subject, about how to grab attention and maintain it and deliver the message you want..

I was able to find this today:

Essential Presentation Skills - the three things YOU MUST KNOW.
Here we expose the three essential pieces of information that can make your presentation fly. Most of these are common sense, but you'd be surprised how often they are missed out.
The Three Presentation Essentials
- Use visual aids where you can
- Rehearse, rehearse, rehearse
- The audience will only remember
three messages
OK? Want to know more? We have built a number of lessons that will take you through the whole process.
Click on this link to take you to the first of the essentials.
http://www.presentationmagazine.com/...ion_skills.htm

and this from the same site:

The Rule of Three - We remember three things.
The rule of three is one of the oldest in the book - Aristotle wrote about it in his book Rhetoric. Put simply it is that people tend to easily remember three things.
Remember as a kid when your mum sent you down to the shop to buy a number of things. But when you got to the shop all you could remember were three things. This is the rule of three
Odds are that people will only remember three things from your presentation

• What will they be?

1. The audience are likely to remember only three things from your presentation - plan in advance what these will be.
Believe it or not, the chances are, people will only remember three things from your presentation. So before you start writing your presentation, plan what your three key messages will be. Once you have these messages, structure the main part of your presentation around these three key themes and look at how they could be better illustrated.
2. There are three parts to your presentation
The beginning, the middle and the end. Start to plan out what you will do in these three parts. The beginning is ideal for an attention grabber or for an ice breaker. The end is great to wrap things up or to end with a grand finale.
3. Use lists of three wherever you can in your presentation
Lists of three have been used from early times up to the present day. They are particularly used by politicians and advertisers who know the value of using the rule of three to sell their ideas.
Veni, Vidi, Vici (I came, I saw, I conquered) - Julius Caesar**
"Friends, Romans, Countrymen lend me your ears" - William Shakespeare
"Our priorities are Education, Education, Education" - Tony Blair
A Mars a day helps you to work, rest and play - Advertising slogan
Stop, look and listen - Public safety announcement
A classic example of the rule of three was Winston Churchill's famous Blood, Sweat and Tears speech. He is widely attributed as saying I can promise you nothing but blood sweat and tears. What he actually said was "I can promise you Blood, Sweat, Toil and Tears". Because of the rule of three we simply remember it as Blood sweat and tears.
There are lots of other examples of the rule of three on this link
4. In Presentations "Less is More"
If you have four points to get across - cut one out. They won't remember it anyway. In presentations less really is more. No one ever complained of a presentation being too short.
Presentation Essentials
Three Presentation Essentials
Use visual aids where you can
Rehearse, rehearse, rehearse
The audience will only remember three messages
So there you have the presentation essentials. I suggest that you print out this little box and stick it in your work book for future reference.
So does it all work? Well it works most of the time - but don't take my word for it Read these three posts on the Forum and make up your own mind....Good luck and happy presenting.
Related pages ** Technically the quote is - Veni (I came), Vidi (I saw) , Vici (I crushed them) which is falsely tied to Gaul and Britanny Conquest by Julius Caesar, but was prononced before the Senate after the crushing of a small revolt in what is now Turquey...
tips and tricks would be truly appreciated..

Jazakoum Allah khyran

:wa:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
CosmicPathos
12-23-2009, 03:50 AM
I cant think of anything aside from introducing visual elements into your speech for grabbing attention and summarizing what you are trying to say. Also clearly presenting in a "what you will be saying/showing, explain your point and evidence, and summarizing what did you just say/show" sequence drives home the point clearly.

Hugo
12-23-2009, 03:38 PM
Modes of Persuasion
Here are eight suggested modes of persuasion where you can use just one or more than one but they will be of no value unless you know what your main premises area with clarity; that is you work very hard to prepare, if your looking for tricks or short cuts well face up to it there are none. You may find some of these ideas really useful in coursework or exams and of course in life generally we are more or less continually engaged persuasion.
  1. Mimic the mannerisms if the ones being persuaded.
  2. Framing or leading people to think about an issues or opinion in a way that is advantages to you. Instead of saying inheritance tax say its death tax if you oppose it etc.
  3. Less is more - don’t give too many reasons in favour as it can harden opinion against you. There is good evidence that working hard on just two reasons to support your arguments is optimal
  4. Grind them down – nagging, keep at it but with reason not brute force.
  5. The medium is the means, always consider what to use in you argument; slides, written, spoken etc
  6. Style over substance - don’t hesitate or stumble or give them time to think
  7. Get them angry and feel a sense of injustice so justifying your ideas
  8. Resistance is not futile – move toward a target bit by bit
Now you know these you can use them and also of course you can be aware of them in others. There are some things you should not do: don’t insult or denigrate, don’t accuse of unethical motives, don’t say they lack knowledge, don’t say they are uneducated, don’t call them names, don’t say they are lying etc. Strategies like these will always look as if you are attacking the person not the arguments or poisoning the well so we must always act with integrity and honesty, get you facts and premises right and stick to it.

Based on: Jones, D, L. and Motluk, A, (2008, May 10), How to get exactly what you want, New Scientist, Pages 32-37

جوري
12-23-2009, 04:45 PM
Thanks.. that is very informative... these types of speeches seem more politically inclined than anything..don't see how you can use it for health-care, unless you wanted to use it to pass a new bill or get more donation for a cause.

The style over substance portion is worrisome but I imagine if you want it to cater to the majority of whom many have no idea what the topic is about, it is best to keep it simple...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Hugo
12-23-2009, 05:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
Thanks.. that is very informative... these types of speeches seem more politically inclined than anything..don't see how you can use it for health-care, unless you wanted to use it to pass a new bill or get more donation for a cause.

The style over substance portion is worrisome but I imagine if you want it to cater to the majority of whom many have no idea what the topic is about, it is best to keep it simple...
You may be right but research seems to show that IF you are trying to make a case for something then you are more likely to get approval if you have TWO strong reasons that if you have 22!

For example, if you were asked "why do you want a job here" then it is better, far better to give just TWO reason than several.

جوري
12-23-2009, 06:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hugo
You may be right but research seems to show that IF you are trying to make a case for something then you are more likely to get approval if you have TWO strong reasons that if you have 22!

For example, if you were asked "why do you want a job here" then it is better, far better to give just TWO reason than several.
gotcha.. this is indeed about a first time persuasion rather than an everyday occurrence..

I appreciate all your feedback, very useful..

peace

syilla
12-24-2009, 06:45 AM
you mean like simon baker the mentalist ? :D

جوري
12-24-2009, 03:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
you mean like simon baker the mentalist ? :D

who is that? I hardly watch TV :hmm: will have to google him, maybe I can learn something .. who said TV was good for nothing? :p

syilla
12-28-2009, 02:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye

who is that? I hardly watch TV :hmm: will have to google him, maybe I can learn something .. who said TV was good for nothing? :p
I think i only watched it once or twice because the remote control is always been monopolise by someone else..huhu ... but you can learn a few things on how persuasive his speeches are. and how he can attract attention and curiousity... ;D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.