/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Mouthwash that contains alchol?

Misz_Muslimah
12-23-2009, 01:44 PM
:sl:

Is it allowed in Islam to use mouthwash that contains alchol?

:wa:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Raaina
12-23-2009, 01:55 PM
Hmm I'm unsure, you don't swollow it so it's not like it's being consumed, but then again, some people won't use those anti bacterial handwashes like in hospital's because they contain alcohol.

Hmmm I don't know, but i'd be interested to see what others say on this. :)

GuestFellow
12-23-2009, 02:00 PM
Mouthwashes containing alcohol

Al Mu'minaat
12-23-2009, 02:05 PM
^ Ohh I never knew that

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Raaina
12-23-2009, 02:31 PM
Me either :)

Misz_Muslimah
12-23-2009, 02:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Guestfellow
Jazaakalahu khayran for the link :statisfie

Esther462
12-23-2009, 02:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Guestfellow
That link has cleared something I have been wondering about. Thank you.

GuestFellow
12-23-2009, 02:59 PM
Google Islam QA if you need any advice on other things, very useful.

Cabdullahi
12-23-2009, 03:11 PM
it causes mouth cancer use dentyl mouthwash

Misz_Muslimah
12-23-2009, 03:15 PM
^ Really :hmm:

GuestFellow
12-23-2009, 03:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
Where did you hear that?

Kabeer
12-23-2009, 03:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mystical_moon
.............but then again, some people won't use those anti bacterial handwashes like in hospital's because they contain alcohol.
Good lord!! It's not like they are going to go glugging down antibacterial handwash now is it!!
Some people need to just use their common sense a bit.

format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
As to this, it's not a hard set fact.
http://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk....-cause-cancer/

Since the evidence is not hard set, its just like those articles that claim tea/coffee causes cancer and such. And the next week the same papers are extolling their health virtues.

All this aside, since its a bit iffy, you may as well use the non-alcoholic alternative, unless you are in a dire pickle.

(Dentyl is rather nice btw :zip:)

Peace.

Al Mu'minaat
12-23-2009, 06:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kabeer
Good lord!! It's not like they are going to go glugging down antibacterial handwash now is it!!
Some people need to just use their common sense a bit.

well excuse me Kabeer.. yerhhh your right its not like they're gonna be glugging down antibaterical handwash.... its more like u need to use your common sense.. whyy would u even make this suggestion..???:raging:

As to this, it's not a hard set fact.
http://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk....-cause-cancer/

Since the evidence is not hard set, its just like those articles that claim tea/coffee causes cancer and such. And the next week the same papers are extolling their health virtues.

All this aside, since its a bit iffy, you may as well use the non-alcoholic alternative, unless you are in a dire pickle.

well for a matter of fact.. mouth washes aient wiffy... they actually smell quite delightful...;D;D ..lool ill have them for breakfast any day...lool.. :D :p

(Dentyl is rather nice btw :zip:)

Peace.
Peace tooo uuuu man..!!!

Kabeer
12-23-2009, 07:52 PM
Wasalaam Al Mu'minaat,
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Mu'minaat
well excuse me Kabeer.. yerhhh your right its not like they're gonna be glugging down antibaterical handwash.... its more like u need to use your common sense.. whyy would u even make this suggestion..???:raging:
? I do not understand why you were upset at this comment.

I made no suggestion. I was trying to demonstrate the illogicality of not using handwash because it has alcohol in it.

Peace.

جوري
12-23-2009, 08:13 PM
try this excellent mouth wash, it lasts a good 24hrs and has no alcohol..

جوري
12-23-2009, 08:16 PM
Wasalaam Al Mu'minaat,

I made no suggestion. I was trying to demonstrate the illogicality of not using handwash because it has alcohol in it.

Peace.
You have sublingual and submandibular glands

that will absorb alcohol very quickly, it is the same method used to deliver some medication for fast absorption into the blood stream. You don't however have the same problem with the hands, skin isn't a semipermeable membrane!

and Allah swt knows best

:w:

Insaanah
12-23-2009, 08:23 PM

There are many alcohol free mouthwashes available nowadays. Why not use those and avoid the alcohol altogether? Because, as sister Gossamer Skye pointed out, some alcohol will get absorbed.

If you are suffering a medical condition of the mouth and the only mouthwash available to treat it contains alcohol, that's a different matter....

Allah knows best.

Vito
12-23-2009, 08:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
try this excellent mouth wash, it lasts a good 24hrs and has no alcohol..

For some reason it didn't show up in your post, for me at least.

Kabeer
12-23-2009, 08:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
You have sublingual and submandibular glands

that will absorb alcohol very quickly, it is the same method used to deliver some medication for fast absorption into the blood stream. You don't however have the same problem with the hands, skin isn't a semipermeable membrane!

and Allah swt knows best

My point was that alcohol would not intoxicate you via the hands....hence you are just reinforcing what I am saying..... :?

Peace

جوري
12-23-2009, 08:54 PM

My point was that alcohol would not intoxicate you via the hands....hence you are just reinforcing what I am saying..... :?

Peace

I am not enforcing nor opposing any opinion here-- I am merely suggesting that alcoholic mouthwash will get absorbed quickly into the blood stream if used to gargle but not the case when used to sanitize the hands, although in and of itself isn't without its problems.

Al Mu'minaat
12-23-2009, 10:26 PM
Wasalaam Al Mu'minaat,

Peace.
Ohhhhh..:hmm: ..Lol.. Bro please forgive me... i took it the wrong way man.. ma bad..:embarrass...:D:D

Kabeer
12-23-2009, 10:29 PM
Wasalaam,
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Mu'minaat
Ohhhhh..:hmm: ..Lol.. Bro please forgive me... i took it the wrong way.. ma bad..:embarrass...:D:D
It's all good. We all have misunderstandings from time to time :)

Peace

Supreme
12-23-2009, 10:55 PM
Ethanol is actually a fantastic chemical for killing bacteria. Whenever I use listerine, and it stings (it had very strong ethanol), I always like to imagine the thousands of bacteria literally burning to death on my decision.

جوري
12-23-2009, 11:06 PM
Ethanol in the mouth is also linked to oral cancer, so swish at your own peril. cetylpyridinium chloride or any of the others that claim to kill bacteria are just as effective, zinc has known bactericidal qualities and the mouthwash suggested above has zinc as the main ingredient and promises at least 12-24 effectiveness (I don't know that, that will be the outcome for everyone) since bacteria in the oral cavity isn't the only thing that accounts for bad breath.. for those who don't care for products that contain zinc, there is also,

Vito
12-23-2009, 11:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supreme
Ethanol is actually a fantastic chemical for killing bacteria. Whenever I use listerine, and it stings (it had very strong ethanol), I always like to imagine the thousands of bacteria literally burning to death on my decision.
No matter how many times you use it, it will always burn. I'm not so sure if that is the bacteria burning away or not. And for me, I only get that burning sensation from Listerine and no other mouthwash so I think there is something else causing it. I've tried the mouthwash that that Gossamer skye posted above (Tom's) and to me it was like water with mint which was actually a lot more refreshing than having my mouth sting.

Supreme
12-24-2009, 12:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by -Kai-
No matter how many times you use it, it will always burn. I'm not so sure if that is the bacteria burning away or not. And for me, I only get that burning sensation from Listerine and no other mouthwash so I think there is something else causing it. I've tried the mouthwash that that Gossamer skye posted above (Tom's) and to me it was like water with mint which was actually a lot more refreshing than having my mouth sting.
I know the stinging never goes away, but it certainly becomes more bearable the more you use it.

Ethanol in the mouth is also linked to oral cancer, so swish at your own peril.
Most things are linked to cancer, at least used in excess. But used in moderation, they can be perfectly healthy. Ethanol is a perfect example of this.

جوري
12-24-2009, 12:26 AM

Most things are linked to cancer, at least used in excess. But used in moderation, they can be perfectly healthy. Ethanol is a perfect example of this.
Indeed.. but it doesn't say much to add one more very preventable cause to the list, also using it everyday after brushing doesn't denote moderation!...

don't get me wrong, I am not telling you what to do, I have listed it for the Muslims on board to consider, that behind certain prohibitions is great wisdom, hence I didn't quote you with the original comment rather leaving it open for folks to reflect on what suits them best!

all the best

GuestFellow
12-24-2009, 12:28 AM
Yeah when I use listerine, it does feel good but my dentist told me to stop using it, I didn't understood why.

Supreme
12-24-2009, 12:34 AM
Indeed.. but it doesn't say much to add one more very preventable cause to the list, also using it everyday after brushing doesn't denote moderation!...
I hardly think many people who use listerine have ever developed oral cancer solely because of it, and I never stated I used it everyday. Rather, I use it around three times a week, on the advice on my medically qualified dentist, who doesn't seem to believe the chances of oral cancer are very high. You may as well give up eating and going out, two more 'preventable' causes of cancer.

جوري
12-24-2009, 12:56 AM
I hardly think many people who use listerine have ever developed oral cancer solely because of it, and I never stated I used it everyday. Rather, I use it around three times a week, on the advice on my medically qualified dentist, who doesn't seem to believe the chances of oral cancer are very high. You may as well give up eating and going out, two more 'preventable' causes of cancer.
It isn't about your opinion or what you think when research shows otherwise.. listerine does have the highest amount of alcohol of other competitors on the market. Again, what you and your dentist decide is best for you, is your own business and doesn't impact the rest of the population who should make an informed decision based on the data available!
I don't know what 'eating or going out' has to do with this? but certainly one should be conscious of what they do at all times especially if there is a direct link between a particular action an a known hazard. One can argue that Milton Berle lived to be a hundred with a cigar in his mouth everyday but what works for Milton doesn't work for everyone else, and research has shown that cigarettes/ cigars are linked to everything from birth defect, emphysema to lung cancer the same way smoking/alcohol are linked to oral ca.!

all the best

IslamicRevival
12-24-2009, 01:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Misz_Muslimah

Is it allowed in Islam to use mouthwash that contains alchol?

You can buy Alcohol free mouthwash so why the need to use mouthwash which contain alcohol?

I use Oral-B (Alcohol Free)

Hope this helps

Misz_Muslimah
12-24-2009, 11:52 AM
Jazaakalahu khayran for everyone else that posted and gave suggestions ..next time I'll use one that don't contain any alchol so all doubts are cleared..

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.