/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Istanbul Not Constantinople

dostpost
12-23-2009, 09:54 PM
you know a famous song "Istanbul Not Constantinople " so I want to talk some about this .

as you know Istanbul was the capital city of Byzantium and also was the center of orthodox churchs.

In 1453 Fatih Sultan Mehmet The Sultan Of Ottoman Empire conquered the Istanbul City. He didnt want bad treasures or old buildings of Byzantium. His only purpose was keeping his Prophet Muhammad (sav) word:

"Verily you shall conquer Constantinople. What a wonderful leader will he be, and what a wonderful army will that army be!" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mehmed_II)

He never destroyed churchs in Istanbul. never killed any Byzantium or christian people. He never captured goods or buildings of any Byzantium or christian people.
There are still many Byzantium people in Istanbul , many churchs (they are still active.), many building belongs to Byzantium people even very good and huge buildings. The patrick of church Bartelemeos makes his "job" in peace.

But a few days ago Bartelemeos (The patrick of church) , made an interview with an english television. He talked about many things, but the abstract of his word is simply:
" i cant stand this. our city are in the hands of muslims, we were here, before they came. "

In 1453 Fatih Sultan Mehmet The Sultan Of Ottoman Empire, could kill all Byzantium people, all christian in Istanbul, could destroy all church... but he didnt.....

I wrote this , because , I want you know this.

Mustafa KILIÇ
from Turkey

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Supreme
12-24-2009, 11:13 AM
Then this should be in the Comparitive Religion section.

KAding
12-24-2009, 12:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mustklc
In 1453 Fatih Sultan Mehmet The Sultan Of Ottoman Empire, could kill all Byzantium people, all christian in Istanbul, could destroy all church... but he didnt.....
He conquered a city and didn't kill everyone? How very kind of him ;).

Amadeus85
12-24-2009, 02:28 PM
The Greeks now feel like Palestinians I guess. Both of these tribes were conquered and made leave from their teritory.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ardianto
12-24-2009, 03:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
He conquered a city and didn't kill everyone? How very kind of him ;).
There is difference between battle and massacre. His troop killed many Christians in the battle of Constantinople, of course. But his troop didn't kill prisoners.

dostpost
12-24-2009, 04:13 PM
The Greeks now feel like Palestinians I guess. Both of these tribes were conquered and made leave from their teritory

palestinians ???? israel is killing many children and people.

are we killing christian people in Turkey?? came Turkey and see. They live in peace, their privileges are similar with our privileges. they can became senator, they can became even minister.

are you kidding me?????

Supreme
12-24-2009, 06:58 PM
Still trying to work out how this relates to current day affairs.

Grace Seeker
12-24-2009, 11:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supreme
Still trying to work out how this relates to current day affairs.
I suppose that this relates to current day affairs because it is about how people feel with regard to their present state of affairs, be they Turkish or Greek, Christian or Muslim, living in Istanbul -- once Byzantium and before that Constantinople, and I don't know what it was called before Constantine renamed it after himself.

titus
12-30-2009, 08:11 PM
There is difference between battle and massacre. His troop killed many Christians in the battle of Constantinople, of course. But his troop didn't kill prisoners.
I still fail to see why we are supposed to look upon this man as a good man. He conquered a people that did not want him, killing many of them (regardless of whether they were soldiers or not).

In fact after conquering Constantinople he went on to conquer, and attempt to conquer, many other areas. This man should not be praised, he should be vilified.

Grace Seeker
12-31-2009, 05:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by titus
I still fail to see why we are supposed to look upon this man as a good man. He conquered a people that did not want him, killing many of them (regardless of whether they were soldiers or not).

In fact after conquering Constantinople he went on to conquer, and attempt to conquer, many other areas. This man should not be praised, he should be vilified.
Why is he praised? That's simple. Victors (and their descendants) get to be the judges of history.

KAding
01-01-2010, 01:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grace Seeker
Why is he praised? That's simple. Victors (and their descendants) get to be the judges of history.
The perceived 'Golden Age' of virtually all empires are defined by their success at conquest, military control and control over trade. It is true for the British, Dutch and Spanish. It is equally true for the Arabs and Ottomans.

Nowadays we would not deem such conquests acceptable though. Just goes to show that humanity is certainly making progress.

sevgi
01-01-2010, 01:08 PM
I cannot stand Turkish self-proclaimed awesomness. Get over yourselves. Grrrrrrrrrrr.

north_malaysian
01-05-2010, 03:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by mustklc
But a few days ago Bartelemeos (The patrick of church) , made an interview with an english television. He talked about many things, but the abstract of his word is simply:
" i cant stand this. our city are in the hands of muslims, we were here, before they came. "
Manila was a Muslim city before the Spaniards came...

plus, talking about Istanbul .... before the city was in the hands of Christians, it was in the hands of Pagan Greeks... and the city's name was Byzantium.

Grace Seeker
01-05-2010, 05:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
plus, talking about Istanbul .... before the city was in the hands of Christians, it was in the hands of Pagan Greeks... and the city's name was Byzantium.
Archeaology dates the first settlements to about 6500 BC. That's even well before the Greeks who arrived about 685 BC. The name Byzantium can be traced back to King Byzas who established the village of Byzantion in 667 BC at the site of the ancient port of Lygos. Only a few walls and substructures remain of ancient Lygos; these are located near the Topkapi Palace on the European side of old Istanbul. The Romans would later siege, destory, and rebuild Byzantium around 196 AD. In 324 the city was renamed Nova Roma by Constantine who officially proclaimed it the capitol city of the Roman Empire in 330 AD. However, it came to be known more commonly as Constantinopolis (i.e. "The City of Constantine"), a name which stuck until the Ottoman conquest in the 15th century.

When most people speak of Byzantium, they are speaking of these years from the time that it became the capitol of the Roman Empire, until the conquest of the city a full millenia later. Nearly all Byzantine art is Christian, not pagan, in character and the still strongly associated with the Greek Orthodox Church.

The_Prince
01-05-2010, 05:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by titus

you guys praise your soldiers as heroes, so if they can be praised as heroes, then this guy sure deserves his praise.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.