/* */

PDA

View Full Version : i need your help people

AnonymousPoster
12-24-2009, 07:37 AM
where where oh where do i start
you know the hadth that goes something like "[......]do you wish for Allah and his messenger to be rejected."

so basically you are meant to give dawah according to how people level of understanding.

but what if it is something obligatory like prayer. what if you tell someone about prayer and the making up of prayer that would be too difficult for them. does that hadith still apply?

im just scared cos i think i have to pay back like the last 3 years of my prayers but at the same time i know if i find out that i indeed do need to make it up (im not exactly sure yet), then im biting off more then i can chew as (for reasons i dont want to get into) its a little difficult for me to pray sometimes so if i find out that i have 3 yrs of prayer to make up then it'll be like a weight on my shoulders. dont get me wrong, its not laziness or anything, but just a difficulty none-the-less.

so im just confused if the above hadith is a valid reason not to ask a shiekh about paying my prayers (which are obligatory) back or am i being sinful.

so im just stuck: find out that i have to make up these prayers and thus a difficultly placed on my shoulders. or not find out that these prayers have to be made up and worry that im neglecting something obligatory.

i cant risk either one and im just worried :cry:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Asim Khan
12-27-2009, 01:01 AM
As-salam-o-aliekum brother,

I saw Assim Al Hakeem talk about this matter. He said that once you miss a prayer -- unless you were sleeping or forgot about it -- that's it, its gone. I hope one of the brothers comes and explains, umm maybe this was the explanation for missed fasts under insanity, but maybe he said that its comparable to how a person doesn't pray all the salahs not prayed before reverting (and there's the hadith of salah being the differentiator between emaan and kufr, and some scholars say that one who leaves salah leaves the fold of Islam (don't know if they mean full abandonment)).

Of course, I really don't think you can consider yourself out of the red, unless you see yourself having vowed and having the determination to never leave the salah knowingly (it's great that you feel regret over it).

btw, can I have the full hadith please brother?

:wa:

AnonymousPoster
12-27-2009, 01:38 AM
i didnt leave the salah, but it non-the-less requires me to repeat them. see, i know about what you mentioned that you heard the shiekh say (i.e once the salaah is gone, its gone), and initially i also believed that but i have come to know that there is a difference of opinion and that i may have to make it up.

Asim Khan
12-27-2009, 05:38 AM
Ah I see. Well it seems good to me that you take your situation to be such that most probably the missing salahs would be cause for severe deficiency in your fard salah at the hisaab -- which you can set yourself to be making up with sunnah salah and good deeds. There is already danger of being a little bit like the three extreme seeking people (I will not sleep, I will never marry, I will fast every day) in saying "I will take the sunnah salah to be 100% fard". Meanwhile, praying an additional maghrib salah each day (which has to be different than witr) would mean that you have to pray for so long in a daily rakah structure that would be different than the sunnah of RasoolAllah saw and the sahaba ra (unless you pray all the sunnah rakat, extending to the nafl night prayer for praying the makup maghrib salah). Oh wait, even if you match the rakah structure, you would still be reciting the last two rakah's (of the four rakah salahs) silently.

We don't want these missing salahs to become a reminder that goes against "Don't lose hope in Allah's mercy", the reminder being: "Surely Allah will punish me if I don't make up the missed salahs with salahs or a hefty, equivalent amount of good deeds". This calls to not hope that set purpose to be progressing to repent might be more than enough (hadith of the 100 murderer). Allah knows best, just thought I'd try to help.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Hamza Asadullah
12-27-2009, 07:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AnonymousGender
where where oh where do i start
you know the hadth that goes something like "[......]do you wish for Allah and his messenger to be rejected."

so basically you are meant to give dawah according to how people level of understanding.

but what if it is something obligatory like prayer. what if you tell someone about prayer and the making up of prayer that would be too difficult for them. does that hadith still apply?

im just scared cos i think i have to pay back like the last 3 years of my prayers but at the same time i know if i find out that i indeed do need to make it up (im not exactly sure yet), then im biting off more then i can chew as (for reasons i dont want to get into) its a little difficult for me to pray sometimes so if i find out that i have 3 yrs of prayer to make up then it'll be like a weight on my shoulders. dont get me wrong, its not laziness or anything, but just a difficulty none-the-less.

so im just confused if the above hadith is a valid reason not to ask a shiekh about paying my prayers (which are obligatory) back or am i being sinful.

so im just stuck: find out that i have to make up these prayers and thus a difficultly placed on my shoulders. or not find out that these prayers have to be made up and worry that im neglecting something obligatory.

i cant risk either one and im just worried :cry:
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb,

There is well-established scholarly consensus (ijma`) that missed obligatory prayers must be made up. [Nawawi, al-Majmu`]

The Fuqahaa have mentioned an easy method to offer missed salahs. They explain that one should perform one qadha salah before or after every fardh salah. In this way, one can keep track of the amount of completed qadha prayers with ease, while this method will also ensure that too much time will not be taken in making up missed prayers.

Here are some tips on Qadha Salat:

1. Start by making a firm intention to read all the qadha that you have missed.

2. Calculate to reasonable surety the number of prayers that you need to make up.

3. Get a calendar or some way of keeping count which ensures you won't forget where you are with your qadha salah.

4. The difficulty with the qadha prayers is when your initial enthusiasm to read them dies down. For example you may manage 2 fard qadha before fajr, 4 after asr, etc; but by the time Isha arrives one may feel lethargic and tired and the thought of having to read 7 rakaat qadha dawns on you and the motivation and the will to do it wears out.

Instead, you may want to try picking a certain time in the day, when you know you have much more energy and that could be a good time for you to read the entire day's qada salaat in one go (20 rakats) or even a large chunk of it like the Isha qadha.

At least you would know that:

a) You've finished a day's worth of qadha in one go so you don't have to put in as much energy when you don't have it in the evening.

b) It's easier to keep a track of how many days you have finished than it is to keep track of how many salaats you have finished.

Also:

'Our makeup prayers are also going to be judged by Allah, and we will be rewarded or punished for them. Thus, while we should pray them at a steady, consistent, and fast pace, one should not rush one's prayer.

Most rushing only fuels one's delusions and desire to be 'busy': experience shows that people who make up the most prayers tend to be those who find sweetness and presence of heart in their prayer, and it is this that fuels their determination and enables them to actually make them up as they should.

Organize your time, make a schedule of make up prayers that you stick to, and perform both your confirmed sunna prayers, which the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) essentially never left, as well as your makeup prayers.'

Asim Khan
12-27-2009, 01:32 PM
Subhanallah! I didn't know that; jazakallah khair for posting brother. Is there a link that discusses the two views: I also have to give the information to someone I misinformed (giving them the right view).

Muslim Woman
12-27-2009, 03:00 PM
:sl:

format_quote Originally Posted by AnonymousGender
.. i have to pay back like the last 3 years of my prayers ..... im just worried :cry:
I heard this ans : if one missed many salat ,then s/she should ask Allah for forgiveness , offer repentance sincerely . S/he must not miss salat anymore and will try to offer some extra / nafal salat . Extra salat and charity washes away sins .

And Allah knows Best.

Hamza Asadullah
12-27-2009, 03:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Asim Khan
Subhanallah! I didn't know that; jazakallah khair for posting brother. Is there a link that discusses the two views: I also have to give the information to someone I misinformed (giving them the right view).
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, yes brother you can try this link:

Do we have to make up missed prayers?

http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.asp?id=5030

Snowflake
12-27-2009, 03:19 PM
assalamu alaykum,

also...

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear questioner, we really appreciate your forwarding this question to us. We hope our efforts, exerted purely for Allah’s sake, come up to your expectations.

Brother, bear in mind that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “Prayer is the cornerstone of religion…” Prayer stands as the second pillar of Islam after testifying that there is no god but Allah and Muhammad is His final Messenger. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “Islam is built upon five pillars: testifying that there is no true god except Allah and that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah, performing prayer, paying the Zakah, making the pilgrimage to the Sacred House (Hajj), and fasting the month of Ramadan.” (Reported by Al-Bukhari)

A Muslim should make his/her best effort to offer each prayer on time as prayers have certain times in which it should be performed. Almighty Allah says, “Worship at fixed hours hath been enjoined on the believers.” (An-Nisa’: 103)

Also, the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) warned against ignoring offering prayers in their due times.

Focusing on your question, Ibn Qudamah in his Al-Mughni states that the majority of Muslim jurists are of the opinion that the missed prayers must be made up in order before the present prayer if the missed prayers are less than five, because the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) did so when he missed some prayers during the Battle of the Trench (Al-Khandaq).

Imam ash-Shafi`i holds the opinion that offering the missed prayers in order is recommendable rather than obligatory.

Imam Ahmad ibn Hanbal maintains that performing the missed prayers in order is obligatory. He based his ruling on the narration that in the year of the Confederates, the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) performed the Maghrib prayer and when he finished he said, “Does anyone of you know whether I offered the `Asr prayer?” They (the Companions) said, “O Messenger of Allah! You did not perform it.” So, the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) commanded the muezzin to pronounce iqamah (the call to commence prayer) and he offered the `Asr prayer and then performed Maghrib again.” Imam Ahamd says that this is evidence for the obligation to offer the missed prayers in order.

However, Imam Malik and Abu Hanifah are of the opinion that if the missed prayers are more than five, it is not obligatory to offer those missed prayers in order to avert any hardship resulting from this.

Ash-Shirazi, one of the Shafi`i jurists, is of the opinion that if one missed three prayers, it is mustahab (desirable) to offer them in order because the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) did so when he missed four prayers during the Battle of the Trench.

Dear questioner, it is clear in the light of the above, according to the opinion of the majority of Muslim jurists, that you are required to make up for the missed three prayers in order, following the example of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) who said: “Perform prayer as you see me performing it.”

Do keep in touch. If you have any other question, don't hesitate to write to us.

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503546664

Snowflake
12-27-2009, 03:20 PM
and....

Making up for Years of Missed Prayer
Question
Dear scholars, As-Salamu `alaykum. I am 30 and have always lived in a very irreligious and sinful way. Recently, however, Allah has guided me to the right path and I am trying to amend for the several major sins that I committed at an early age. Out of negligence and ignorance, I did not say any prayers between the ages of 20 and 27. Thus, I have so far missed about 90,000 fard (obligatory) prayers. Now my question is: Should I make up (i.e. offer qadha’) all of the 90,000 fard prayers I have missed? Or should I simply beg Allah to forgive me? Jazakum Allah khayran.

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Prayer is one of the most important obligations of Islam, being one of the five pillars of Islam. A Muslim should not miss any prayer; and all prayers should be performed in their appointed times. Allah says in the Qur'an: "Indeed the prayers are enjoined on Believers at stated times." (An-Nisa’: 103) In a hadith the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, "Allah has made five prayers obligatory upon His servants. So whosoever will perform them and will not miss any of them out of negligence, he has the pledge of Allah that He will enter him in Paradise. And whosoever will not perform them, Allah has no pledge with him. If He wills He may punish him, and if He wills He may forgive him." (Reported by An-Nasa’i, Abu Dawud and Ahmad).

--

Answering your question, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states:

“You are to be commended for taking the steps to repent and become a better Muslim; you can rest assured that Islam is a religion of mercy and hope; so be cheerful and trust in Allah’s promise of forgiveness.

Allah says: “O My servants who have wronged against their souls! Do not despair of the mercy of Allah. For Allah forgives all sins; for He is indeed Forgiving, Compassionate.” (Az-Zumur: 53). “Whoever commits a sin or wrongs himself, then (repents and) seeks Allah’s forgiveness, will find Allah Forgiving, Compassionate.” (An-Nisa’: 110).

Furthermore, Allah says, “Save him who repents and believes, and does good works; those, Allah will change their misdeeds into good works. And Allah is Forgiving, Compassionate.” (Al-Furqan: 70).

Now let me come to the second part of your question:

Salah is the most important pillar of Islam. It is in fact the first religious duty prescribed on every single prophet from Adam to Muhammad, second only to testifying the Oneness of Allah. Allah says, “Salah, indeed, is a duty enjoined upon the faithful at the appointed times.” (An-Nisa’: 103). The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) further narrates in a hadith Qudsi: Allah said: “The covenant between Us and them is Salah; so whoever establishes it establishes religion; whoever undermines it undermines religion.”

It is therefore important that we never become slack in performing salah; if we miss any salah for whatever reason, we must pray it immediately without further delay. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “Whoever oversleeps and misses his prayer or forgets to do it, let him pray as soon as he remembers it.”

In light of these and other evidence, the vast majority of scholars and imams are of the opinion that one must make up for all of the prayers one has missed in life, no matter how many they are. So according to them, you should make up for all of these prayers. One of the best ways to do this—as has been suggested by one scholar—is to pray with each fard that you perform another fard in lieu of what you missed in the past. Thus, for instance, before or after praying Zuhr, pray another four rak`ahs of Zuhr as qadha’, and pray another four rak`ahs of `Asr every time you pray `Asr; you should continue to do this until such time that you can be pretty sure that you have made up for all of the missed prayers.

However, the above view has been rejected by scholars such as Imam Ibn Taymiyah, Shawkani, and Ibn Hazm. They are of the view that a person who has deliberately missed his prayers can never make up for them. Therefore, the only option left for him is to repent, ask forgiveness of Allah, and do lots of good works; by doing so he can hope to receive Allah’s mercy.

Ibn Taymiyyah, while advancing this point of view, further states: “To insist that a person who has strayed away from Islam for a number of years and then returns to the fold of Islam must make qadha’ of all his missed prayers serves only as a deterrent against his repentance, and thus it amounts to limiting the infinite mercy of Allah.” He, therefore, dismisses this view and rules that it is sufficient for him to repent, make lots of istighfar (asking forgiveness) and good works.

Having said this, I must add that you must never be slack again in your prayers.

May Allah shower us all with His mercy and help us to remain steadfast in His religion. Ameen.”

Excerpted, with slight modifications, from: www.islam.ca

Moreover, the eminent Muslim scholar, Dr. Su`ad Salih, professor of Fiqh at Al-Azhar University, states:

“Brother in Islam, bear in mind that in Islam, takleef (accountability) depends on maturity and sound mind. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) stated that three people are not accountable for their actions: 1) the child until he becomes mature, 2) the insane until he is of sound mind, and 3) the sleeping person until he wakes up.

Accordingly, scholars of Islam state that being sane and mature are conditions for accountability. There are some reasons that could suspend the person's accountability such as forgetfulness and compulsion. Then, a sane and mature Muslim should carry out his duties — such as prayer — as long as there is nothing that hinders him from doing so. Prayer is one of the most important pillars of Islam.

As for the prayers you have missed, you should make up for them at their due times. You can pray each prayer twice: one for the current prayer and the other for making up for the missed one.”

In the light of the above fatwas, it is clear that the one who missed prayers for many years may count the missed prayers and make up for them in the hope that Almighty Allah will forgive him.

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503546658

Asim Khan
12-28-2009, 05:31 AM
Jazakallah khair

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.