/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Revive a Sunnah - Fast tomorrow [9th Muharam] and Ashoora

Abu Muslim
12-25-2009, 11:16 PM
http://www.facebook.com/rememberAllah

A reminder that it is recommended to fast on the 9th of Muharaam and also Ashoora which corresponds to the 26th and 27th Dec 2009. So thats Saturday and Sunday.

A forgotton Sunnah is to also fast the 9th aswell as the 10th in order to differentiate ourselves from the jews and christians as the prophet saw fasted on the 10th and intented to fast on the 9th.

‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: When the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) fasted on the day of ‘Ashoora and told the people to fast, they said, “O Messenger of Allaah, this is a day that is venerated by the Jews and Christians.” The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “Next year, if Allaah wills, we will fast on the ninth day.” But by the time the following year came, the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) had passed away [Narrated by Muslim, 1916]

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Caller الداعي
12-25-2009, 11:31 PM
jzkallah khr bro 4 tht reminder !!!!! PLUS NO 1 WANTS TO MISS OUT ON YEAR OF SINS BEING WIPED OUT!!!!!!!!!

Ibn 'Abbas, may Allah be pleased with them both, said:

"I never saw the Messenger of Allah, upon whom be peace, so keen to fast any day and give it priority over any other than this day, the day of 'Ashura, and this month, meaning Ramadhan." [Reported by al-Bukhari, 1867]

The meaning of his being keen was that he intended to fast on that day in the hope of earning the reward for doing so.

The Prophet, peace be upon him, said:

"For fasting the day of 'Ashura, I hope that Allah will accept it as expiation for the year that went before." [Reported by Muslim, 1976]

Abu Muslim
12-25-2009, 11:51 PM
Al-Shaafa’i and his companions, Ahmad, Ishaaq and others said: It is mustahabb [recommended] to fast both the ninth and the tenth, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) fasted the tenth and intended to fast the ninth.

Based on this, there are different ways of fasting ‘Ashoora’, the least of which is to fast the tenth only, but it is better to fast the ninth as well. The more one fasts in Muharram, the better.

Ibn Hajar (may Allaah have mercy on him) said, commenting on the hadeeth “If I live until next year I will certainly fast the ninth”: His concern to fast the ninth may be understood as meaning that he would not limit himself to that, rather that he would add it to the tenth, either to be on the safe side, or to be different from the Jews and Christians, which is more likely to be correct; this is what may be understood from some of the reports narrated by Muslim.”

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.