/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Greed

desert winds
12-27-2009, 12:26 AM
Its been about 1 week now that when i jump in to bed and close my eyes, i cant sleep.instead i start to visualise the 12inch sub at subways and make plans to go there, then i see my wrap meal at dixys and make plans to go there, then i see chocolate cakes at my local coffee shop and make plans to go there, then i see the tasty dishes at a buffet.
Its getting out of control. Im not a greedy person but these desires wont stop.
Im doing it right now-dreaming of chips with chilli sauce... Im getting irritated.it makes my tummy rumble but i am not even hungry. Im not sure if shaytaan is trying a new form of attack since im practising now....

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Beardo
12-27-2009, 01:41 AM
I can't see if you are a Muslim or not, so I cannot advise any duas.

But perhaps if you feel you are becoming greedy, look up pictures of the homeless and hungry. Or just drive around your locality and you will be sure to find one, if not a few.

And start counting your blessings.

Enjoy life, but do so in a righteous and dignified manner.

Here's an example I found on islaam.com:

Beauty is therefore a quality which we must desire and strive for. It is as important as virtue and truth. We should take every opportunity to enjoy beauty except if this activity is going to lead to corruption and undermine our morals and principles. In this case, beauty should be avoided.

We are prohibited from looking at certain pictures which may be beautiful and listening to certain beautiful voices. This is because this kind of beauty leads to betrayal of ethical behavior. For this reason, the beauty of a woman is reserved for her husband and certain relatives and family members. This way, it will not lead to dishonorable behavior. Husbands are allowed and encouraged to enjoy the beauty of their wives, as this is not a prohibited behavior, and may even prevent corruption.

Ummu Sufyaan
12-27-2009, 01:49 AM
:sl:
best thing to do, is just ignore it these feelings. the more you act upon them, the more they will overwhelm you. so just ignore them and soon, inshallah they will go away. once or twice it will be a little hard, but after that it should be a breeze.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
12-27-2009, 01:57 AM
Aslamu alaaykum..
My question is why can you not sleep as soon as you get into bed? maybe its because you wake up late?? InshaAllaah if yes. try getting up early lol, so you will be able to sleep once you get into bed..but remmeber you sleep early lol :)..Anyways on that food desire issue lol. i have never heard of such a case, but you can try to read Ayaatul Kursi. also like try to remmeber ALlaah whilst sleeping..keep strong and InshaaAllaah remmebering Allaah will lead you to forgetting about these desires InshaAllaah thats my advice.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
waqas maqsood
12-27-2009, 02:42 AM
This might sound tedious and inappropriate but how about you stuff urself of whatever you desire till you feel sick. I'm sure you won't think of it again. lol

Sawdah
12-27-2009, 03:32 AM
I agree with brother Rashad. you should try to look up the homeless and hungry.
Trust me, your going to feel very thankful for all the things you have and that you can afford to get food.

Snowflake
12-27-2009, 06:26 AM
Assalamu alaykum,

Read Surahs an-Nas, al-Falaq, Ayatul Kursi, Last two verses of Suratul Baqarah, dry spit on your hands and wipe from head to where you can easily reach. Sleep in wudhu to prevent shayteens playing with your soul. Keep reciting La ilaha illAllah. Remember Allah as soon as you wake up. Say Alhumdulillah, La ilaha illAllah or any words of praise for Allah SWT.

Supplication before Sleeping
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka-Yk-Lst_I

:wa:

Hamza Asadullah
12-27-2009, 06:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by desert winds
Its been about 1 week now that when i jump in to bed and close my eyes, i cant sleep.instead i start to visualise the 12inch sub at subways and make plans to go there, then i see my wrap meal at dixys and make plans to go there, then i see chocolate cakes at my local coffee shop and make plans to go there, then i see the tasty dishes at a buffet.
Its getting out of control. Im not a greedy person but these desires wont stop.
Im doing it right now-dreaming of chips with chilli sauce... Im getting irritated.it makes my tummy rumble but i am not even hungry. Im not sure if shaytaan is trying a new form of attack since im practising now....
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, What i would recommend is for you to have a proper structured sleeping pattern meaning that you should go to sleep at set times every night and wake up at a set time everyday. This way your body would automatically feel sleepy at the same times hence you would fall asleep quicker at the times that you want.

It is also better to go to sleep earlier rather than later if one has no commitments.

Make sure your not drinking tea or coffee after 6pm and also try to have your 3 meals at set times every day no later than around 7.

You can also try hops and lavendar which is stuffed into little pillows which you can put underneath your own pillow and it is supposed to induce one fall asleep but it does give off a very strong odour so I would try taking the herb Valerian as it is a natural sedative and may also help induce sleep. Or horlicks usually works too.

What i would really recommend is for you to do at least 30-45 minutes of exercise daily. Not only will it help you to become more active throughout your day and help you to wake up quicker and feel fresher in the mornings but it will also help you in your ibaadat. You will also fall asleep quicker every night.

Do the following everynight which is 45 sunnah's of going to sleep. Make this a daily habit and every night will be a very rewarding one inshallah:

1. If after Isha one does not have anything important to do like any commitments then one should go early to bed and avoid useless talk and gatherings. Going to bed early assists one in waking up early for worship.

2. Recite Bismillah (In the name of Allah) before closing the doors of the house, before covering utensils with food in them, switch off or turn off fires, light etc (Bukhari)

3. To discuss with family members matters pertaining to Islam like stories of the Sahaba’s or reminders that will help increase imaan(faith). Or to simply talk about matters that please them without getting into useless talk. (Tirmidhi)

4. Children who are aged nine or ten years of age should be separated from females in one room and males in another. (Mishkat)
5. Apply Surma (Kohl) in each eye three times (Mishkat)
6. To lay or spread the bed oneself (Muslim)
7. To dust ones bed before sleeping (Mishkat)
8. Recite ‘Bismillah’ when removing clothing as it is a cover and protection from Jinn and shaythan.
9. To make Miswaak before retiring to bed even if one has already made it for Isha salat.
10. To use a pillow to rest ones head on (Muslim)
11. Rasulallah(Pbuh) pillow was made of leather filled with palm leaves(date leaves).
12. To use leather and hide as bedding for sleeping
13. To use straw mat for sleeping
14. To sleep on a mar or carpet made of cloth
15. To sleep on the floor
16. To sleep on a bed (Nashrut Tib)
17. If one does any of the above with the intention of sunnat then one will receive reward inshallah
18. To sleep in a state of wudu, (Attargheeb)
19. It is prohibited to sleep on ones stomach as shaythan sleeps on his stomach (Tirmidhi)
20. It is also prohibited to sleep on the back with the one leg on top of the other (Muslim)
Note: If there is no fear of exposing ones private parts then it is permissible to sleep in this manner but one should be careful.
21. To sleep on the right side, facing towards the Qibla (Bukhari)
22. To sleep with the right hand underneath the face like a pillow and with the knees slightly bent (Like in the recovery position)
23. One should also recite Surah Mulk before sleeping as it is saves one from the grave punishment. Suran Mulk should also be read aswell as Surah Yaseen.
24. Surah Waaqi’a should be read before sleeping as it saves one from hunger and poverty (Attargheeb)
25.When one goes to bed then say the following:
‘When retiring to his bed every night, the Prophet (saw) would hold his palms together, spit (A form of spitting comprising mainly of air with little spittle) in them, recite the last three chapters (Al-Ikhlas, Al-Falaq, An-Nas) of the Quran and then wipe over his entire body as much as possible with his hands, beginning with his head and face and then all parts of the body, he would do this 3 times.’ (Tirmidhi)
26. The Prophet (saw) also said: ‘When you are about to sleep recite ayat-al-kursee (The verse of the foot-stool, chapter 2:255) till the end of the verse for there will remain over you a protection from Allah and no devil will draw near to you until morning.’
27. The Prophet (saw) also said: ‘Whoever recites the last two verses of Soorat Al-Baqarah at night, those two verses shall be sufficient for him (i.e. protect him from all that can cause him harm).’
(Amana alrrasoolu bima onzila ilayhi min rabbihi wa almu/minoona….)
[Al-Baqarah: 285-286]
28. Also reciting the ten verses in Surah Baqarah at night is said to ward away shaythan and calamities,illnesses,worries from ones home so ones whole family is protected that night. Those 10 verses are: The first four aways of Surah Baqarah; Ayatul Kursi and the two verses following it and the last three verses of the surah.
29. ‘If one of you rises from his bed and then returns to it he should dust it with the edge of his garment three times for he does not know what has occurred in his absence and when he lies down he should supplicate:
Bismika rabbee wadaAAtu janbee wabika arfaAAuh, fa-in amsakta nafsee farhamha, wa-in arsaltaha fahfathha bima tahfathu bihi AAibadakas-saliheen.
‘In Your name my Lord, I lie down and in Your name I rise, so if You should take my soul then have mer upon it, and if You should return my soul then protect it in the manner You do so with Your righteous servants.’
30. The Prophet (saw) would place his right hand under his cheek when about to sleep and supplicate:
Allahumma qinee AAathabaka yawma tabAAathu AAibadak. (three times).
‘O Allah, protect me from Your punishment on the day Your servants are resurrected.’ (three times)
31. Also read this dua:
Bismikal-lahumma amootu wa-ahya.
‘In Your name O Allah, I live and die.’
32. Recite the following Isthighfar three times: Asthaghfirullah halladhee laa ilaaha ilallahuwal hayyul qayyumu wa athubu ilay
I seek forgiveness from Allah besides whom there is none worthy of worship, the living, the sutainer of life and to Him i repent. (Tirmidhi)
33. ‘Shall I not direct you both (The Prophet (saw) was addressing Ali and Fatimah-may Allah be pleased with them- when they approached him for a servant) to something better than a servant? When you go to bed say:
Subhanal-lah. (thirty-three times)
Alhamdu lillah. (thirty-three times)
Allahu akbar. (thirty-four times)
…for that is indeed better for you both than a servant.’
Also read kalima Tayyaba afterwards.
34. ‘If you take to your bed, then perform ablution, lie on your right side and then supplicate:
Allahumma aslamtu nafsee ilayk, wafawwadtu amree ilayk, wawajjahtu wajhee ilayk, wa-alja/tu thahree ilayk, raghbatan warahbatan ilayk, la maljaa wala manja minka illa ilayk, amantu bikitabikal-lathee anzalt, wabinabiyyikal-lathee arsalt.
‘O Allah, I submit my soul unto You, and I entrust my affair unto You, and I turn my face towards You, and I totally rely on You, in hope and fear of You.Verily there is no refuge nor safe haven from You except with You. I believe in Your Book which You have revealed and in Your Prophet whom You have sent.’
…If you then die, you will die upon the fitrah.’
fitrah: the religion of Islam, the way of Ibraheem.
35. To recite Bismillah 21 times is said to save ones home from theft and the evil effects of shaythan and sudden death.
36. Recite durood whilst falling asleep.
37. To keep the prayer mat near ones head or besides bed before sleeping (Nisaai)
38. Precaution should be taken that children do not notice marital relations between husband and wife (Mishkaat)
39. Zaid bin Thabit complained to Rasulallah(Pbuh) of not being able to go to sleep at times and Rasulallah (Pbuh) advised him to recite the following dua:
Allahummah ghaarithinnujumu wa hadaathil uyoonu wa antha hayyun qayyumulla tha’ khudhu ka sinathuwalaa nawmun yaa hayyun yaa qayyoomu a’hde’ laylee wa anim ‘aynee
Oh Allah the stars have sunk in and the eyes have become tranquil and quite and You are alive and ever lasting neither does sleep overcome You. Oh the living and ever lasting one make my night my tranquil and give my eyes sleep. (Ibn Sunni)
40. If after sleeping one experiences a pleasant dream then when ones eyes open then say “Alhamdulillah” then the pleasant dream should only be revealed to trustworthy learned ones so that the dream can be interpreted correctly.
41. If one experiences an unpleasant dream then one should spit spit (A form of spitting comprising mainly of air with little spittle) three times on the left side and then recite three times “ Audhobillaahi Minashaythaanirajeem”.
42. The dream should NOT be revealed to anyone then it will bring no harm to the person (Bukhari,Muslim)
43. To have water and Miswaak ready in advance for Wudu (Muslim)
44. To sleep with the intention of getting up for Tahajjud (Nisaa’i)
45. To read Tahajjud salat before subho sadiq (Dawn) (Mishkaat)

Snowflake
12-27-2009, 07:00 AM
:sl: JazakAllahu khayr for informative post brother.

desert winds
12-27-2009, 06:32 PM
asslam alaikum and thanks for the replies,
@ rashad-i am a muslim, and i am thankful for my food, im not ungrateful alhamdolillah,
@ umm ul shahid- i cant ignore them they wont let me sleep, its vision after vision
@ muslim world- i have had a pecular sleep pattern for many years now- i always read aytal kursi so shaytaan does not come near me during my sleep.
@waqas mahmood- im not greedy during the day- im very sensible with my foods etc- the problem only occurs when i try to sleep.
@scents of jannah- i will try reciting la illaha illallah tonight and see if it helps me.
@hamza- thats a lot of information, i am worried since i sleep on my tummy also- its the only position i feel comfortable in.......

thankyou all.

gladTidings
12-27-2009, 08:16 PM
Your not pregnant are you sis ?

desert winds
12-27-2009, 08:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by peãrl
haha
no ofcourse not, im not at all that hungry during daytime just bed tome comes and dreaming begins!

Hamza Asadullah
12-27-2009, 10:08 PM
asslam alaikum and thanks for the replies,

@hamza- thats a lot of information, i am worried since i sleep on my tummy also- its the only position i feel comfortable in.......

thankyou all.
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, my sister it is totally forbidden for us to sleep on our stomachs for it is the way that shaythan sleeps.

According to Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid:

The reason for this is that it was forbidden by the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), who left no good thing but he told us about it and left no evil thing but he warned us against it. Ya’eesh ibn Tihfah al-Ghifaari reported that his father said: “I stayed as a guest with the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) with those of the poor whom he hosted. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) came out in the night to check up on his guests, and saw me lying on my stomach. He prodded me with his foot and said, [B]‘Do not lie in this manner, for it is a way of lying that Allaah hates.’”

According to another report, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) prodded him with his foot and woke him up, and said, “Do not lie like this, for this is how the people of Hell lie.”

(Reported by Ahmad, al-Fath al-Rabbaani, 14/244-245; by al-Tirmidhi, no. 2798, Shaakir edn.; and by Abu Dawood, al-Sunan, Kitaab al-Adab, no. 5040, al-Da’aas edn. Also reported in Saheeh al-Jaami’, 2270-2271).

This is a general prohibition that applies to both males and females, because the basic principle is that rulings apply to both sexes, except in cases where it is indicated that there is a differentiation between the two. And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

Imam Ahmad reported that Abu Hurayra (Allah be pleased with him) said, “The Prophet (Allah bless him & give him peace) passed by a man who was lying on his stomach, so he poked him with his leg and said, ‘This is a posture that Allah the Mighty and Majestic does not like.’” It was also reported by Ibn Hibban in his Sahih, and there are many other hadiths in the major collections that support this.

Because of this, it is mentioned in Imam al-Barkawi’s manual on the path of taqwa, al-Tariqa al-Muhammadiyya:

“And it is disliked to lie on one’s stomach without an excuse..”

Imam al-Khadimi added in his commentary:

“Sleeping on one’s back is the sleep of the prophets, who contemplate the creation of the heavens and earth [f: when without a roof on their heads]; sleep on the right side is the sleep of scholars and worshippers; sleep on the left is the sleep of kings to digest food; and sleeping on one’s face is the sleep of devils and the unbelievers.” (al-Bariqa al-Mahmudiyya fi Sharh al-Tariqa al-Muhammadiyya, 4: 177)

Sunnipath

Here, it is also beneficial to mention some Islamic manners of sleeping:

1-Try to sleep in the state of purity.

2-Dust your bed three times before you go to sleep.

3-Lie down on your right side, put your right hand under your right cheek and recite: “ O Allah! in Thy Name I live and die.”

4-Before you sleep recite Ayat al-Kursi and the two last verses of the same Surah.

5-Seek Allah’s forgiveness and His guidance.

6-Before you sleep recite once Surat Al-Mulk.

7-When you wake up recite: “Praise be to Allah Who brought to us life again after He has caused us to die and unto Him shall be the Resurrection.

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503545450

I found some good advice on how to stop sleeping on ones stomach:

It's funny. I have been a side sleeper and back sleeper all of my life, but I suddenly find myself sleeping on my stomach more than I ever have ... and liking it a lot!

The thing that has made this possible is the mattress I have (yes, it is one of those expensive foam types), but I think this has a lot to do with my physique. I am 2 inches taller and 50# heavier than you, so I am more "contoured" (a polite way to say "FAT!") than you are. On an innerspring mattress, I was never able to get comfortable on my stomach: Too much pressure on the middle spine.

But I am not suggesting this as a solution, yet.

First, consider the physics of bending: Try bending backwards and see how easy it is. Now, try bending forward and see how easy THAT is.

Because the heaviest portion of our bodies is through the hips, that is where we press deepest into a mattress. This is true whether you are on your stomach or your back. But on your stomach, the stress on the spine is like bending backwards, not forwards. On your back, it is reversed.

The BEST advice is to continue your efforts to retrain yourself to not sleep on your stomach. Accept the short-term difficulties for the long-term benefits.

When trying to condition someone away from sleeping on their back (particularly for position sensitive sleep apnea or snoring), the experts recommend sewing a tennis ball into the pocket of PJs (or sweats or shorts, etc.) so that rolling onto your back at night will be distracting enough that you stop the habit.

It seems like the same principle might work for sleeping on your stomach.

Another thing that I have heard works as a transitional device is a body pillow (a full, body-length pillow available at most department stores for $10-20).

The thing that a body pillow does is give you a surface to "cuddle" into while laying partly on your side. It gives you some of the sensation of laying on your stomach (body contact in many of the same spots), but gets you to a 45 degree angle or all the way onto your side.

Most people sleeping with a body pillow will throw one arm and/or one leg over the pillow. In your case, the idea will be to get you into another position that is comfortable that is NOT on your stomach. (This same thing can be done with a bed partner, but THEY can throw you off! The pillow can't! LOL!)

Relaxation exercises and visualization techniques can help condition you to feeling "wrong" when you lay on your stomach or roll away from your body pillow, too. Unfortuantely, reconditioning yourself away from a lifetime habit usually takes a multi-dimensional approach. (The book "Sleep Rx" by Norman Ford has a very good description of using visualization and guided imagery to promote better sleep habits. The section starts in chapter 9 with breathing exercises, and continues through chapter 10. His explanations about how and why this works seem quite credible -- though I am not at all happy with a few of his other ideas.)

I hope that this has been helpful in some way. Feel free to ask anything you like about sleeping surfaces and how they might impact your situation. I will try to help in as many ways as I can. But for now, I would say that if your mattress is in good condition (not sagging or showing a body impression ... which will work more severly against you when you sleep on your stomach), you probably can look into far cheaper solutions than a new mattress.

Source:http://www.sleepnet.com/rest6/messages/253.html

So my sister you should stop sleeping on your stomach immediatley as it is the way shaythan sleeps. The tips will help you to eradicate this problem inshallah.

syilla
12-28-2009, 02:01 AM
salams ukhtee...

Maybe you should visit this thread...

http://www.islamicboard.com/health-s...-all-time.html

Ummu Sufyaan
12-28-2009, 09:14 AM
:sl:
haha
no ofcourse not, im not at all that hungry during daytime just bed tome comes and dreaming begins!
make sure then you go to bed when you are tired. like preoccupy and just exhaust yourself around your bed time...that way you can hit the pillow and fall asleep right away without the distractions of food an hunger.

Raaina
12-28-2009, 09:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by peãrl
I was wondering that to..

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.