Mr.President
12-27-2009, 08:07 PM
we all know that taking photos and building statues are prohibited in islam

then making or developing robos also haram ? :hmm:

lil confused pls help !?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
zakirs
12-27-2009, 08:11 PM
I believe it depends on the purpose. IF you are making a robot to use in medicine or operations then it would be fine. But if you are making a human clone for fun.. isn't that same as making a statue albeit a moving one

Mr.President
12-27-2009, 08:15 PM
yea ur argument is correct its like we use pictures for passports since it is required but we don't take pix for memories !!! tx zakir bhai

btw gud sigi :)

edit : if robotics is nessery then we can use if not its like making statues ryt ?

zakirs
12-27-2009, 08:17 PM
Thank you president sahab :) ..I am a mechanical engineer too and my under grad project is a pipe climbing robot.Its purpose is to climb pipes for inspection and it doesn't have a face or hands .. :P . So i guess its halal :S ..

here is a defenitive answer from islam-qa.
Praise be to Allaah.

Making a robot comes under the ruling on image-making. To sum up, if the machine is made in the shape of a man or an animate being, that is forbidden, and comes under the stern warning that is issued to those who make images and try to imitate the creation of Allaah. It will be said to them on the Day of Resurrection: “Give life to that which you have created.” It also comes under the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): “Those who will be most severely punished on the Day of Resurrection will be the image-makers.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, no. 5606; Muslim, 2109.

But if the machine is not in the form of an animate being or is incomplete and would not be taken as a human being or animate creature, there is nothing wrong with that.

It should be noted that no matter how far man advances in the field of technology, he will never be able to make anything that is anywhere near the creation of Allaah. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“So Blessed is Allaah, the Best of creators”

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Snowflake
12-27-2009, 08:41 PM
:sl: I love robots. Robots only partly resemble humans in sci-fi movies (Short Circuit and Iron Giant are the cutest!) In reality robots in factories look nothing like humans and are just awesome machines that do tons of work. I adore seeing them in action on programs like How it's Made lol.

My fave robots! :embarrass :statisfie

Sawdah
12-27-2009, 09:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scents of Jannah
:sl: I love robots. Robots only partly resemble humans in sci-fi movies (Short Circuit and Iron Giant are the cutest!) In reality robots in factories look nothing like humans and are just awesome machines that do tons of work. I adore seeing them in action on programs like How it's Made lol.

My fave robots! :embarrass :statisfie

The first robot is kinda creeping me out...:skeleton::phew

About the question "is making or developing robots also haram ?"
I found this: http://islamqa.com/en/ref/47062/robots

Inshallah, I hope that helps :)
:sl:

Sawdah
12-27-2009, 09:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by seekerofjannah
About the question "is making or developing robots also haram ?"
I found this: http://islamqa.com/en/ref/47062/robots

Inshallah, I hope that helps :)
:sl:
oops, I didn't realise that someone already posted an answer from IslamQA.
:embarrass

Snowflake
12-28-2009, 01:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by seekerofjannah
The first robot is kinda creeping me out...:skeleton::phew
lol he usually reserves that look for the bad guys.. here he is as his usual sweet self :p

Sawdah
12-28-2009, 02:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scents of Jannah
lol he usually reserves that look for the bad guys.. here he is as his usual sweet self :p

lol, cute :P

ardianto
12-28-2009, 07:05 AM
So, if making robot in shape of man or animate is forbidden, how about this robot ?

I think it doesn't look like a human.

Raaina
12-28-2009, 07:25 AM
I had no idea taking photos was haraam :(

Mr.President
12-28-2009, 08:41 AM
brothers and sisters now I am clear
jazaakallah kyrn

@ardianto ^^
As mentioned in the fatwa why should v design a robot that looks like human if
robots are necessary then we should design in a way that doesn't like like human
But if the machine is not in the form of an animate being or is incomplete and would not be taken as a human being or animate creature, there is nothing wrong with that.

@mystical_moon pls check this
http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/10668/taking%20pictures

ardianto
12-28-2009, 01:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mr.President
@ardianto ^^
As mentioned in the fatwa why should v design a robot that looks like human if
robots are necessary then we should design in a way that doesn't like like human
Actually, that is robot from Starwars.

Of course I know that is shaped like human. My statement is just a test. :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.