/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Nurse Patient relationship

Taqiyah
12-29-2009, 01:51 AM
Asalaam Alaikum..

So I am a Nursing Student and I have my clinical work done at a huge hospital and there are barely any Muslim health care workers or patients over there. I honestly been to every department and never met any Muslim and also there are barely any black/Latino workers/patients it is just soo not diverseimsadimsad...it is really sad but the weird part is as a Nurse I am not suppose to discuss personal matters with patients...I have to remain professional at all time but honestly it is a little hard when all my patients are staring at me like I am from another planet and wondering why I have a scarf on my head. They ask so many personal questions like were I am from, when I came there, why I decided to work in this hospital, what my believes are, what my views are on sensitive subjects:heated::heated:It gets a little too hard to change the subject every time. Some of them are plain rude and some feel they have to treat me extra special or pity me:heated:I honestly hate when they act all sweet to me and rude to my colleagues just because I happen to be from a difference race or have a different faith...that really annoys me more than it make me feel comfortable. What can I possibly do to avoid giving personal information and answering sensitive questions without being rude? Like I try to get them talking but they are just interested in me so much for some weird reason!:heated::heated:It is not fun at all..:p

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
cat eyes
12-29-2009, 02:35 PM
:sl:sister try not 2take the little things 2 heart and focus on pleasing Allah. U have 2 remember the media is constantly showing muslimz as terroristz. Isen it better that they r being sweet 2u instead of attacking u?? And pulling ur hijab off and abusing u? Wouldnt that b alot worse?? U should be thankful 2 Allah that ur not getting oppressed. And if theres no muslimz there sure why not use that as a chance 2give dawah...itz so rewarding sister imagine it will b written down 4 u that u gave so much dawah and maybe even make sum1 enspired.

AlHoda
12-29-2009, 07:13 PM
:sl:

Dear Taqiyah, I think many muslims in the west feel like this, try to find other muslims who work in the hospital, if you don't find any. Try to keep your head up, may Allah help you :)

:wa:

Taqiyah
12-29-2009, 08:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
:sl: And if theres no muslimz there sure why not use that as a chance 2give dawah...itz so rewarding sister imagine it will b written down 4 u that u gave so much dawah and maybe even make sum1 enspired.
SalaamAlaykum

JazakaAllah sister for your kind words. I definitely have to be grateful for other Muslims have it worse than me..a lot worse Subhanallah. Sister I had a patient awhile back who seemed very eager to learn more about Islam, I truly wanted to tell him more but I couldn't because my school takes this matters seriously and my instructor has a habit of walking around the hospital unit to see what we are doing or saying to the patients and you never know when she is standing right behind you..she is very sneaky and my least favorite of all of my professors:heated::heated:All I could do was give him a little piece of paper with my school email and a list of Islamic websites for converts( I only knew 2 at the time)imsadI really wanted to do more but I felt bad I couldn't...He never e-mail me back but I truly hope those websites were of help.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Taqiyah
12-29-2009, 08:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AlHoda
:sl:

Dear Taqiyah, I think many muslims in the west feel like this, try to find other muslims who work in the hospital, if you don't find any. Try to keep your head up, may Allah help you :)

:wa:
Jazakallh sister..InshaAllah I will try my best. :statisfie:statisfie

zakirs
12-29-2009, 09:26 PM
Salaam sister ,

nice that you are training for a nurse (omg we have too many medicine related people on IB ) . Since your hospital has policy of not sharing info , just be nice to all patients and give same answers to all questions -> " :) "

Ğħαrєєвαħ
12-29-2009, 09:49 PM
Aslamu alaaykum...
When they ask you about why your a muslim and Islaam, and all.. try teaching em about it., to let em kno that the media is all trickz not true!.try give them Dawah, or do something that will make thm ask you more about Islaam, thats if you spent a lot of time with the patients, teach them about Islaam, InshaaAllaah and tell em why you wear the Hijaab in an interesting way so that they get interested..and like it...Because everything Allaah has permitted for us , is all beneficial and for a reason!..hope you know what im trying to say lol.. Insha`Allaah..

Wa alaaykum Salaam..

Hamza Asadullah
12-30-2009, 05:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Taqiyah
Asalaam Alaikum..

So I am a Nursing Student and I have my clinical work done at a huge hospital and there are barely any Muslim health care workers or patients over there. I honestly been to every department and never met any Muslim and also there are barely any black/Latino workers/patients it is just soo not diverseimsadimsad...it is really sad but the weird part is as a Nurse I am not suppose to discuss personal matters with patients...I have to remain professional at all time but honestly it is a little hard when all my patients are staring at me like I am from another planet and wondering why I have a scarf on my head. They ask so many personal questions like were I am from, when I came there, why I decided to work in this hospital, what my believes are, what my views are on sensitive subjects:heated::heated:It gets a little too hard to change the subject every time. Some of them are plain rude and some feel they have to treat me extra special or pity me:heated:I honestly hate when they act all sweet to me and rude to my colleagues just because I happen to be from a difference race or have a different faith...that really annoys me more than it make me feel comfortable. What can I possibly do to avoid giving personal information and answering sensitive questions without being rude? Like I try to get them talking but they are just interested in me so much for some weird reason!:heated::heated:It is not fun at all..:p
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, sister you should avoid giving dawah to patients because if they complain you can lose your job. That is what happened here in the UK where a nurse said she would do a prayer for a patient and she lost her job when the patient complained. If they ask simply be hoenst with them and tell them you cannot talk about religious matters to them because your employers do not allow you to.

Rather talk to some of your female colleagues about Islam whenever you get the chance. Tell them about the beauty of Islam and give them material aswell. The best dawah is good character, manners and ettiquette. Allah also taught us to convey Islam in the most beautiful of manner. We should also use wisdom and tact when giving dawah and never get frustrated or angry. We should realise that we can only inform the best we can but ONLY Allah gives guidance so we should pray that the people we give dawah to gain guidance from Allah so that they be lead to the truth inshallah.

cat eyes
12-30-2009, 06:58 PM
:sl: oh yeah bro hamza is right actually sis dont communicate with the patients but you can give dawah to the staff members im sure theres loads :p

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.