/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is it good wearing the "songkok"

Samiun
12-31-2009, 05:14 AM
:sl: brothers and sisters

I have recently used my "songkok" to walk around the city and restaurants. My question is, do I get any pahala(good deed) for this?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
syilla
12-31-2009, 05:46 AM
i don't think they know what is songkok. :D i think u need to post a picture of it. in malaysia one knows u r muslim if u wear songkok :)

Italianguy
12-31-2009, 05:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
i don't think they know what is songkok. :D i think u need to post a picture of it. in malaysia one knows u r muslim if u wear songkok :)
I KNOW! I KNOW!!;D....I am raisng my hand!!! (like in school)

It's a brimless hat, almost like a fez......i bet some don't know what a fez is either:hmm:

Like a skull cap, no brim......just a hat with no brim, they even make them thick for cold weather.brrrrrrrr

I have seen a friend of mine wear them.........I can't beleive I knew this???:hmm:

zakirs
12-31-2009, 06:09 AM
songkok = skull cap.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Italianguy
12-31-2009, 06:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by zakirs
songkok = skull cap.

ahhhhhh ha.... I knew it! I was right again....."I am "ITALIANGUY" dun, dunnn, dunnnnnnnnnnnn;D

Hamza Asadullah
12-31-2009, 06:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nabiel
:sl: brothers and sisters

I have recently used my "songkok" to walk around the city and restaurants. My question is, do I get any pahala(good deed) for this?
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, you will get the reward for the intention of covering your head not for a particular type of cap.

Here are the Sunnah's of dress where you will get rewarded for each action inshallah:

Sunnah of Dressing

We should try to be modest in our appearance in our daily lives without dressing in inappropriate clothing and we should be pleasant in appearance, without looking dishevelled or being extravagant and having pride because of what we are wearing.

Allah (The Exalted) likes to see his servants wearing good clothing, the way that our beloved Prophet (may Allah bless him and grant him peace) wore his clothing.

Ibn 'Umar (may Allah be pleased with him) reported the Messenger of Allah (may Allah bless him and grant him peace) as saying, 'He who copies any group of people is one of them.'

The intention of the above is that whoever adopts the ways and manners of the unbelievers and evildoers will be a partner in their sins

When one is getting dressed

Praise is to Allah Who has clothed me with this (garment) and provided it for me, though I was powerless myself and incapable

Alhamdu lillaahil-lathee kasaanee haathaa (aththawba) wa razaqaneehi min ghayri hawlim-minnee wa laa quwwatin.

Reference: Al-Bukhari, Muslim, Abu Dawud, Ibn Majah, At-Tirmithi.

When putting on new clothes

"اللَّهُمَّ لَكَ الْحَمْدُ أَنْتَ كَسَوْتَنِيهِ، أَسْأَلُكَ مِنْ خَيْرِهِ وَخَيْرِ مَا صُنِعَ لَهُ، وَأَعُوذُ بِكَ مِنْ شَرِّهِ وَشَرِّ مَا صُنِعَ لَهُ".

Allaahumma lakal-hamdu 'Anta kasawtaneehi, 'as'aluka min khayrihi wa khayri maa suni'a lahu, wa 'a'oothu bika min sharrihi wa sharri ma suni'a lahu.

O Allah, praise is to You. You have clothed me. I ask You for its goodness and the goodness of what it has been made for, and I seek Your protection from the evil of it and the evil of what it has been made for.

Reference: Abu Dawud and At-Tirmithi.

When undressing

Recite: Bismillaahi when undressing

Translation: In the Name of Allah.

Reference: At-Tirmithi 2/505

Manners of Clothing

1. For women to wear silk is permissible.
2. To wear a silk hat under the Amama is not allowed.
3. The people of knowledge should wear clothing that enables others to recognise them, so that their knowledge is respect.
4. The length of the Kurta is to have it half way to the calf and the sleeves be a maximum to the knuckles. And the length of the sleeves is a span.
5. To have gold or silver buttons is permissible for both men and women.
6. If there is a chain on the buttons (i.e. hanging from the buttons) then this is not permissible for men as chain is in the same category as jewellery and for men it is totally forbidden.
7. If there is a death, then to wear black clothing for this purpose is not permissible as it is a practise of the Christians.
8. From the 1st to the 12th of Muharram you should avoid wearing three colours of clothing; Black, as it is a method of the Shi'ites. Green, as it is a method of lamenters and red, as it is the method of the Kharjites.
9. You should wear your trouser (bottoms) whilst sitting until they reach up to the thighs. First with your right leg then left and then stand up and wear them fully and take them off in the same manner i.e. take it of up to your thighs, sit down and take your left leg out followed by the right. In the hadith it states that one who does the opposite will be afflicted with such an illness that there is no cure for.
10. To wear your new clothes on Friday as it is Sunnah.
11. To wipe your nose or face keep a small handkerchief. To use it to wipe perspiration is permissible but to keep it for pride is not allowed (i.e. for fashion or as a status symbol).
12. Always pray 'Bismillah'' when wearing and taking the clothes off as the devil and jinn look at you if you don't.
13. Do not wear clothing that has pictures or dress children in them either, those who do so will be sinful.
14. Do not have bright colours or have things written on the clothing such as 'Love me' or anything rude or shameful.
15. First wear the upper garment and then the lower.
16. When taking the clothes off, fold them and do not leave them laying around as Shaytan uses them.
17. Do not dress boys in the clothing of girls and do not dress girls in clothing of the boys.
18. Men should keep their lower garments above their ankles and women below their ankles.
19. Do not cut clothing on Tuesdays as there is fear they will be burnt, sunk, or be stolen.
20. When you take your clothes off, you should fold them and not leave them lying around otherwise the devil uses them.
21. It is not allowed for men to wear saffron be it dark so it is red or be it light so it is yellow for both the same rule applies. For women both colours are permissible. Besides these two colours all other colours are permissible be it yellow, red etc. however, it is better if males do not wear these especially if it is common that the opposite sex wear it, meaning it is a feminine colour. This is not because of the colour but because it is common on women, if this is not the case then there is no problem .

Rasulallah (Pbuh) liked to wear Kurta(Long shirt) the most. The sleeves reached to his wrists and the collar or neckline of his kurta was towards his chest. (Tirmidhi)

Rsulallah (Pbuh) kurta went upto his ankles, reaching upto mid calf (hakim)

Rasulallah (Pbuh) clothes consisted of sheet, lungi (loin cloth), kurta (Long shirt) and amamah (turban). He also had a cloth with which he dried his face after wudu.

He liked striped sheets. He used to wear a topi (Fez or hat)below the amamah and sometimes he only wore a topi. He used to wear the amamah with a tail and sometimes without. The tail of the amamah used to fall between his shoulders at his back.

Rasulallah (Pbuh) wore a Quba (long coat)also. His lower garment used to end between his knee and ankle.

His shawl (Sheet)was red striped and he also wore green and black woollen sheets with or without embroidery.

Rasullalh (Pbuh) was very modestly and simple in dress and he had a minimum amount of clothes that he wore.

He used to say, “I am only a servant and dress myself like one”.

He had an expensive outfit which he used to wear for Jummah and the two Eids aswell as meeting outside delegations but apart from that he did not care too much about quality or any particular kind of clothing . He mostly wore cotton clothing.

Rasulallah (Pbuh) prohibited the wearing of gold and silk for men but not for women (Tirmidhi)

He preferrred white clothing (Tirmidhi)

He never threw away clothing until worn patched (Tirmidhi)

Men should wear their lower garments above the ankles (Tirmidhi)

Those who wear their lower garments below their ankles will on the day of judgement have fire on their ankles and will not be looked upon with mercy by Allah (Mishkaat)

Note: This applies at all times whether in namaz or not

Rasulallah (Pbuh) wore strapped sandals and leather socks (Mowazai) (Mishkaat)

syilla
12-31-2009, 06:16 AM
;D;D
format_quote Originally Posted by Italianguy
I KNOW! I KNOW!!;D....I am raisng my hand!!! (like in school)

It's a brimless hat, almost like a fez......i bet some don't know what a fez is either:hmm:

Like a skull cap, no brim......just a hat with no brim, they even make them thick for cold weather.brrrrrrrr

I have seen a friend of mine wear them.........I can't beleive I knew this???:hmm:
r u sure thats the one ;D

Italianguy
12-31-2009, 06:28 AM
;D;D

r u sure thats the one ;D
YES? I thought it was? am I wrong?imsad

No, no no no no......i am right i seen them their called peci's and Kopya's tooo:D

ardianto
12-31-2009, 06:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Italianguy
YES? I thought it was? am I wrong?imsad

No, no no no no......i am right i seen them their called peci's and Kopya's tooo:D
How can you know about "peci" or "kopiah" ?. These are Indonesian words for "songkok". :)

In Indonesia, peci / kopiah is an official skull cap.

(The picture is not appear)

Italianguy
12-31-2009, 06:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
How can you know about "peci" or "kopiah" ?. These are Indonesian words for "songkok". :)

In Indonesia, peci / kopiah is an official skull cap.

(Front row center is President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono)
I'm a pretty smart dude......and i have friends from all over the world remember:D

Plus i ask a lot of questions;D I am a wealth of useless knowledge:D

Ok its 2:00 am in the morning i am going to sleep:exhausted

Good night......or good morning....or ...oh whatever

Samiun
12-31-2009, 07:23 AM
The only useful comment I find here is Hamzah's... then again, I could use some indonesian language

syilla
12-31-2009, 07:49 AM
at least i've encouraged someone to post the picture so that is easier for them to answer :(

Muslim Woman
12-31-2009, 08:12 AM
:sl:

at least i've encouraged someone to post the picture so that is easier for them to answer :(
and yap , u are the one who first replied :)

Cabdullahi
12-31-2009, 04:44 PM
a songkok is cool

Italianguy
12-31-2009, 04:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman
:sl:

and yap , u are the one who first replied :)
I replied first.....i knew what it was but i guess i didn't post a picimsad

ardianto
12-31-2009, 05:51 PM
Edit --------------

imam bukhari
12-31-2009, 07:04 PM
assalaam o alaykum,

the prophet (saw) never used to walk outside except that he would cover his head

the sahabah (MEN)used to see it as shamefull not to cover their head

so wearing a 'topee' is sunnah

ardianto
12-31-2009, 07:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by imam bukhari
assalaam o alaykum,

the prophet (saw) never used to walk outside except that he would cover his head

In Indonesia 'topi' (topee) means hat/head cap in general. Including baseball cap (topi bisbol), cowboy hat (topi koboy).

Italianguy
12-31-2009, 07:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by imam bukhari
assalaam o alaykum,

On NO , your a "cowboy" fan;D

just kidding

north_malaysian
01-05-2010, 03:00 AM
can we wash "songkok"? some people said that songkok is not suitable for salah as it's dirty (never been washed)...

ardianto
01-05-2010, 04:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
can we wash "songkok"? some people said that songkok is not suitable for salah as it's dirty (never been washed)...
Same like hats and caps, "songkok" usually washable. But we must wash it with hands. Do not ever use washing machine.

north_malaysian
01-05-2010, 06:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
Same like hats and caps, "songkok" usually washable. But we must wash it with hands. Do not ever use washing machine.
but i never seen people wash their songkoks in Malaysia.

ardianto
01-05-2010, 03:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
but i never seen people wash their songkoks in Malaysia.
I mean, not washing like wash clothes, but clean it with toothbrush and soap.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.