/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Miracle?

CosmicPathos
12-31-2009, 06:54 AM
I am trying to think about scientific reasons for this "miracle" which Dr. Martin cannot explain in great detail. Any ideas by medical doctors here?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8435457.stm

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Cabdullahi
12-31-2009, 04:46 PM
they never died because once a human being dies there's no coming back

CosmicPathos
12-31-2009, 06:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
they never died because once a human being dies there's no coming back
I was thinking that too but lets say if a person from point A goes to point B and then returns to point A even though it is impossible to return back. We cannot say they never went to point B. But surviving for 4-5 mins? without heart beat ... some brain cells must have had died ...

Again, beats me. :p

جوري
01-01-2010, 06:37 AM
In hospitals, they don't look at someone whose heart has stopped and say.. oh too bad, let's save the baby.. or he is an organ donor let's just watch while you get the harvest supplies!

There is a crash

and everyone on board has to be ACLS certified.. you terminate effort if >/= 10 mins have passed for someone in asystole, (completely differs for someone who is hypothermic and in asystole since cells survive much longer as in their demand for oxygen is less but I digress) she was in asystole for 4-5 as per article also as per article :
Dr Martin said she was called in and the outlook was grim since in most situations like this, "despite the best efforts of the team", the mother was often unable to be revived.

and I agree with every minute that passes you lose cell function, and that is usually why by 10 minutes give or take two you terminate and call it for even if they do come back, they are basically vegetables!

So the miracle here is that it simply wasn't her time to go.. the odds are against her (absolutely) but there is a reason for the protocol being as such with epinephrine and atropine q3-5mins for someone in asystole obviously said meds are proven effective else they wouldn't have made studies and a protocol out of them..with ACLS, the average survival rate for all cardiac arrests is about 15%.. she was obviously of the lucky 15%.. that percentage isn't set in stone as it depends on factors, like patients age and co-morbid conditions!

Hope that makes it clearer insha'Allah?.. It isn't over until it is over!

and Allah swt knows best

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
CosmicPathos
01-01-2010, 06:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
In hospitals, they don't look at someone whose heart has stopped and say.. oh too bad, let's save the baby.. or he is an organ donor let's just watch while you get the harvest supplies!

There is a crash

and everyone on board has to be ACLS certified.. you terminate effort if >/= 10 mins have passed for someone in asystole, (completely differs for someone who is hypothermic and in asystole since cells survive much longer as in their demand for oxygen is less but I digress) she was in asystole for 4-5 as per article also as per article :
Dr Martin said she was called in and the outlook was grim since in most situations like this, "despite the best efforts of the team", the mother was often unable to be revived.

and I agree with every minute that passes you lose cell function, and that is usually why by 10 minutes give or take two you terminate and call it for even if they do come back, they are basically vegetables!

So the miracle here is that it simply wasn't her time to go.. the odds are against her (absolutely) but there is a reason for the protocol being as such with epinephrine and atropine q3-5mins for someone in asystole obviously said meds are proven effective else they wouldn't have made studies and a protocol out of them..with ACLS, the average survival rate for all cardiac arrests is about 15%.. she was obviously of the lucky 15%.. that percentage isn't set in stone as it depends on factors, like patients age and co-morbid conditions!

Hope that makes it clearer insha'Allah?.. It isn't over until it is over!

and Allah swt knows best

beautiful, 25% of the stuff went over my head but very interesting. Sister, you are a practicing doctor?

جوري
01-01-2010, 06:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Wa7abiScientist
beautiful, 25% of the stuff went over my head but very interesting. Sister, you are a practicing doctor?
I am a doctor out of practice :haha:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.