/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hijaab is not a fashion accessory!

Hamza Asadullah
12-31-2009, 07:01 AM
Hijaab is not a fashion Accessory!

My dear sisters the very purpose of wearing hijaab is to conceal oneself and not to attract unwanted attention upon oneself. But nowadays many of our sisters are making a mockery of hijaab and wearing beaded and such fashionable hijaabs like red and pink and in all the different colours of the rainbow.

Why are sisters wearing hijaabs that really stand out and look attractive and appealing to the eye? They are clearly attracting unwanted attention from men. Is that the purpose of hijaab?

Allah subhaanahu wa ta aala says in His Book:

...and not to reveal their adornments except to their husbands, their fathers, their husband's fathers, their sons, their husband's sons, their brothers or their brother's sons, or their sister's sons, or their (Muslim) women (i.e. their sisters in Islam), or the (female) slaves whom their right hands possess, or old male servants who lack vigour, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex. And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment. And all of you beg Allaah to forgive you all, O believers, that you may be successful. Suratun-Nur 31

Behavioural psychologists state that a woman who wear red and pink colours are clearly wanting to attract attention upon themselves and are wanting to really make a statement and stand out. Again is this the purpose of hijaab?

On top of that one will see many girls not wearing the hijaab properly. They tuck the hijaab over their ears and reveal their whole neck and wear it in such a fashionable way like a bandana.

They also beautify themselves further by applying lots of make up looking all 'dolled up'. This can be seen everywhere nowadays and is a very sad state of affairs as it goes against the very principles of hijaab which is not to look extra attractive and attract unwanted attention and gazes upon oneself.

The purpose of hijaab is to be inconspicuous not to stand out glowing with make up and various kinds of fashion accessories. Those girls who act like this get more attention from guys than girls who don't wear hijaab at all!

Even scholars have stated that it is not permissible for a girl who wears hijaab to get all 'dolled up' by wearing lots of make up and accessories that further beautify her and make her stand out which clearly attract unwanted attention and gazes from others.

One will also see many girls who wear hijaab wearing the highest of heels which make so much noise when they walk clearly attracting so much attention upon themselves.

Many a time one will see groups of 'hijaabis' walking around the shopping mall or on the high street or university behaving and acting so much more louder than other girls who don't wear hijaab at all. Should one not care how loud one is and attract unwanted attention from guys?

Allah says:

"Be not soft in speech, lest he in whose heart is a disease (of hypocrisy, or evil desire for adultery, etc.) should be moved with desire" (Sura Al-Azzab Ayat #32)

Also many a time one will see girls with hijaab wearing knee length leather boots, tight combats and jeans as well as full sleeveless tight and low cut tops. Is this to attract more attention upon themselves? Why would they dress like this when they are wearing a hijaab on their heads? How could they mock and disgrace themselves and the hijaab like that? In actual fact they are mocking the command of Allah upon them. The command of Allah is to conceal ones beauty but why wear hijaab to attract extra attention upon oneself?

The worst of all is when a girl with hijaab is seen publicly holding hands and making out with a boy. Many a time have i and many others seen this. These girls have no shame at all and don't even try to hide it. They are an absolute disgrace to the hijaab, to their families and to themselves. They are also the ones who always get hurt and used and then complain about it afterwards. Why go through the torture of getting hurt and scarred from a haraam relationship? These relationships never work and what impression are girls who wear hijaab and have open haraam relationships making to others?

These girls are tarnishing the respect that girls who wear hijaab properly deserve because guys are starting to get the impression that girls who wear hijaab are the same as girls who don't. To be honest nowadays girls who wear hijaab are acting and dressing worse than girls who don't wear hijaab at all. To these girls hijaab is nothing but a fashion accessory and a means of attracting more men.

Hijaab is inner and outer modesty not just a cloth on ones head or a fashion accessory like how many girls nowadays treat the hijaab. Do these girls think it is an excuse to dress and act how they want?

Women are precious jewels and the beauty of those precious jewels should only be admired and appreciated by her marriage partner not anyone else.

A woman can beautify herself as much as she likes in front of her husband but why beautify yourself for the whole world to admire and lust over? Do you think you will not return to Allah and answer for your actions?

Please sisters seriously look at your intentions in your hearts and ask yourselves why dress and act like this? Is this what hijaab is really about? Or is hijaab so much more deep and meaningful than that.

Ask yourselves are you doing justice to the hijaab your wearing on your head? What do you think Allah is thinking of you right now looking at the way your dress and act whilst you have a hijaab on your head?

Remember we can go at any second and if we were to go in this state then what will we answer to Allah? How will we justify our behaviour?

So my sisters whatever has happened in the past has happened now. Let us move on and repent to Allah that he forgives us and let us have a new beginning. Never again wear tight or inappropriate clothes when going out. Only wear the most minimal of makeup if any when you go out so as to not attract unwanted attention and finally wear a dark coloured hijaab that doesn’t stand out and the jilbaab which is far superior that any type of loose clothing which may hug on the hips and curves.

These are the women that have true beauty for they are the most beautiful in the eyes of Allah and the women are make a mockery of hijaab are the most beautiful to shaythan!

May Allah save our brothers and sisters from all the evil that surrounds us and from our inner desires and the whisper of shaythan and may Allah help us to let carry out his commandments properly and let us not let shaythan have a say in how we carry out our commandments. Ameen

I have pasted some very useful and beneficial links especially for our sisters:

Advice from a sister on hijaab

http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39547

The Role of Women in Islamic Society-Very good article by revert sister

http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39901

Hijaab and the Freedom of Women

http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39857

Very Inspiring Experiences Of Recently Converted Woman

http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40169

WOMEN IN ISLAM

http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41377

The Best Role Models for All Muslim Women

http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41302

Please remember me in your dua's and ask me ANYTHING you want and i will try my best to always help you as your brother in Islam. Allah Hafiz

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
cat eyes
12-31-2009, 02:24 PM
jazakAllah brother :) beautiful reminder i hope that the pious sisters here will take that into account always inshaAllah.

there is alot on t.v and youtube that also encourage sisters to make hijab a type of fashion accessory i think thats what really influence them also

these pple who are giving the influence to others will also be held to account for it. ive often told sisters that on utube when they make there video's to tone it down and show that hijab is not some type of fashion accessory. they are doing more evil to the ummah then anything.

may Allah save us all from the helfire imsad:wa:

Misz_Muslimah
12-31-2009, 02:31 PM
Jazaakalahu khayran brother Hamza for that amazing reminder,
May allah bless you immensely for posting this thread
:wa:

sister herb
12-31-2009, 02:34 PM
:sl:

Thank you brother about your kindly reming us for this.

I love my daily hijab even it is black and people here usually ask me if I have some sorrow.

I answer them no but full happiness about my hijab...

:statisfie

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Hamza Asadullah
12-31-2009, 04:37 PM
Hijaab is a woman's real beauty

It often occurs to me that many of our sisters in Islam are not properly encouraged once they begin to observe the requirements of Hijaab. It may be that a sister has been obliged to wear the Hijaab without truly pondering over its superiority.

Perhaps she has reached the age of puberty and her parents have instructed her to wear it. Perhaps she has recently accepted Islam and her close companions have told her of its obligation. Alternatively, perhaps her husband has commanded her to wear Hijaab.

A sister who does not truly know the superiority of Hijaab will always remain envious of disbelieving women. Why? Because they observe these misguided disbelievers attempting to look beautiful for all to see. Hence, the Muslim woman then compares herself to that woman which causes her to feel ashamed of her own Hijaab.

Therefore, what follows is a reminder for my sisters in Islam. It is a reminder of the true status of these so-called beautiful women. It is a reminder of the excellence of the women who wear Hijaab.

Excellent Qualities of Those who Wear Hijaab:

It is well known that the Muslim woman is a creature of modesty. Allaah loves for our Muslim women to be shielded by their Hijaab. It is their outer protection from the decadence of this life. Allaah's Messenger , said: "Allaah is modest and covering. He loves modesty and privacy." [Abu Daawood, An-Nasaa'i Al-Bayhaqi, Ahmad].

Thus, as modesty is a quality that is loved by Allaah, our sisters must take comfort in knowing that they are modest and that they are not like those women who show themselves off to the world. Such women will not be shielded from Allaah's Wrath. Allaah's Messenger said: "Any woman who takes off her clothes in other than her husband's home, has broken Allaah's shield upon her." [Abu Daawood and At-Tirmithi)

Therefore, we see that the Hijaab of the Muslim woman is indeed part of modesty. Modesty accompanies Eemaan (faith). That is why Allaah's Messenger said: "Modesty is part of Eemaan and Eemaan is in Paradise." [At-Tirmithi]. Also: "Modesty and Eemaan are companions, when one goes away the other one goes away." [Al-Haakim and others]

The Muslim women must know that the disbelieving women who beautify themselves for the world to see possess no modesty, thus, they are void of any Eemaan. Instead of looking to the latest fashion models for guidance, you must look to the wives of the Prophet .

Look at the regard for modesty that our mother, 'Aa'ishah possessed even in the presence of the deceased; she said: "I used to enter the room where the Messenger of Allaah and my father (Abu Bakr) were later buried in without having my garment on me, saying it is only my husband and my father. But when 'Umar bin al-Khattaab was later buried in (the same place), I did not enter the room except that I had my garment on being shy from 'Umar."

It can be quite difficult for the Muslim woman to go out wearing Hijaab in a society that mocks and torments her. Indeed, she may feel strange and out of place. However, if she knows the status of those who are mocked by the disbelievers, then she would continue to wear her Hijaab with dignity.

Allaah Says in His Book (what means): "Verily! The criminals used to laugh at those who believed. And whenever they passed them, used to wink at one another. And when they returned to their own people, they would return jesting. When they saw them, they said: 'These have indeed gone astray!' But they (disbelievers, sinners) had not been sent as watchers over them (the believers). But on this Day those who believe will laugh at the disbelievers. On (high) thrones, looking (at all things). Are not the disbelievers paid (fully) for what they used to do?"
[Quran 83:29-36]

Allaah's Words should serve as a support for you my dear sister. Also, take comfort in being a stranger among these lewd and sinful women. Allaah's Messenger said (what means): "Islam began as something strange, and it would revert to its (old position) of being strange, so good news is for the strangers." [Muslim]

The Characteristics of the Exposed Women:

Instead of practicing the Hijaab (covering), the disbelieving women expose themselves, making a dazzling display of themselves for others. Such a display is an attribute of ignorance. Allaah Says in His Book (what means): "And stay in your houses and do not display yourselves as you used to during the times of ignorance." [Quran 33:33]

Allaah's Messenger said: "The best of your women is the affectionate, the fertile, the comforting, the agreeable -- if they fear Allaah. The most evil of your women are those who expose and display themselves, and those who strut (to show off) and they are the hypocrites. Those who enter al-Jannah (the Paradise) are like the red beaked crow." [Al-Bayhaqi]. The simile of the red-beaked crow is to show that those who enter Paradise will be as rare as this kind crow is rare.

We see from the above Aayah and Hadeeth that displaying oneself is indeed unlawful. Further, it is a quality of the most evil of women! Therefore, do not be envious of the disbelieving women. They only have this life to enjoy, while the believing women will have Paradise. There is nothing in your Hijaab to be ashamed of, as it is the garment of the righteous and pious female worshippers of Allaah.

In order to truly show you how evil those women who expose themselves are, let us ponder over the following statement of Allaah's Messenger : "Of the people of Hell there are two whom I have never seen, the one possessing whips like the tail of an ox and they flog people with them. The second one, women who would be naked in spite of their being dressed, who are seduced (to wrong paths) and seduce others. Their hair is high like the humps of the camel. These women would not enter Paradise, nor will they smell its fragrance, although its fragrance can be sensed from such and such a distance." [Muslim]

These women who expose themselves are common among us today. These are women that even the Prophet did not see! Look around you and you will see those women who are clothed but naked! Look at the hairstyles of the women who expose themselves -- are they not high like the camel's hump?

Perhaps we are the first generation since the time of Aadam to witness such women. If one ponders over photos taken thirty to fifty years ago, one will see that the disbelieving women did not expose themselves in the manner that their offspring do today! These women are among the people of the Fire! Thus, how can you envy them?

Such lewd women will not even smell the fragrance of Paradise; so our women must avoid their path.

Another lesson from the above hadeeth is that it confirms that what the Prophet , came with is indeed the truth! This is a prophecy that has come to pass in front of our very eyes. Hence, will we continue to envy these evil women, or should we be grateful to our Lord for the Hijaab, which brings modesty, which leads to Paradise?

To sum up, the Muslim woman should abandon all of the ways of the exposed women, and adopt the ways of those who are modest through their love and practice of the proper Islamic Hijaab.

By: Salaah Brooks
[Source: Hudaa Magazine]

Sawdah
12-31-2009, 05:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Misz_Muslimah
Jazaakalahu khayran brother Hamza for that amazing reminder,
May allah bless you immensely for posting this thread
Ameen.
Jazakallah Khair brother for this wonderful reminder.

Hamza Asadullah
01-03-2010, 05:25 PM
Muslims today have abandoned the many safeguards and restrictions their beautiful Religion has put upon them, for their own safety and protection. Thus Islam does not permit women to be alone with any non-Mahram man, yet we see most Muslims show scant respect for this.

The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said: "A woman who freely mixes with other people and shows off her beauty is without light and virtue." (Tirmidhi)

Similarly, Islam teaches that Muslim women wear modest clothing for the reason that those in whose hearts is disease do not be given wrong signals. But again, today we see even sisters who wear the Hijab fail to understand that Hijab first and foremost means acting modestly and hiding oneself and is not just a piece of cloth on the head.

The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings upon him, forewarned that women would deteriorate morally like this, he said: "Woman who remain naked even after dressing up (by wearing skin tight clothes or revealing garments), and who allure others and are allured by others, who walk coquettishly, will never enter Paradise nor even get its scent." (Muslim)

Thus the following practices would all be forbidden and must be abandoned as they are against the concept of Hijab:

1, Wearing perfume in front of non-Mahram men 2, Wearing jeans or trousers that are tight fitting 3, Wearing other skin tight clothes that reveal the outline of the body, as according to the Sharia this is also considered as making oneself naked, as the hadith above shows us 4, Wearing colorful headscarves that attract attention 5, Speaking freely with the opposite sex 6, Revealing the arms, chest or neck. Our practicing sisters should do their duty, as Dawah is upon them also, and tell other sisters who do not observe proper Hijab of the sinfulness of this and encourage them to become more observant.

The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings upon him said: "None of you believes until he loves for his brother (or sister) what he loves for himself," (Muslim).

Mufti Mohammed Sajjad

As-suffa Institute

★ηαѕιнα★
01-03-2010, 06:52 PM
Salaam brother :)

I agree hehe

★ηαѕιнα★
01-03-2010, 07:57 PM
Here in Holland people I study with actually ask me whether im obligated to wear a black Hijaab. I was like: no I have other colours of Hijaab. Guess black is just my colour but after that I started to were other colours. Not multi-coloured once like Turkish people often do. Thats too much colour for me hehe don't wanna attract attention. That isn't the meaning of Hijaab. It's so that kind of attention is limited.

Salaam

Cabdullahi
01-03-2010, 08:04 PM
sisters wear various colours....pink, blue, red, yellow, green all of them very active in society just like the power rangers

★ηαѕιнα★
01-03-2010, 08:22 PM
Nah me just green and darkblue. Hehe ur funny :D
Don't do powerranger colours. I don't know karate very wel for that..:D

Hamza Asadullah
03-19-2010, 08:02 AM
The Virtues of hijab

1. An act of obedience. The hijab is an act of obedience to Allah and to his prophet (pbuh), Allah says in the Qur'an:

`It is not for a believer, man or woman, when Allah and His messenger have decreed a matter that they should have an option in their decision. And whoever disobeys Allah and HisMessenger, has indeed strayed in a plain error.' (S33:36).

Allah also said: 'And tell the believing women to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things) and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts, etc) and not to show off their adornment except what must (ordinarily) appear thereof, that they should draw their veils over their Juyubihinna.' (S24:31).

Juyubihinna: The respected early scholars differed whether the veil cover of the body must include the hands and face or not. Today, respected scholars say that the hands and face must be covered. Other respected scholars say it is preferable for women to cover their whole bodies.

2.The Hijab is IFFAH (Modesty).

Allah (subhana wa'atala) made the adherence to the hijab a manifestation for chastity and modesty. Allah says: 'O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) over their bodies (when outdoors). That is most convenient that they should be known and not molested.' (S33:59).

In the above Ayaah there is an evidence that the recognition of the apparent beauty of the woman is harmful to her. When the cause of attraction ends, the restriction is removed. This is illustrated in the case of elderly women who may have lost every aspect of attraction. Allah (swt) made it permissible for them to lay aside their outer garments and expose their faces and hands reminding, however, that is still better for them to keep their modesty.

3. The hijab is Tahara (Purity)

Allah (swt) had shown us the hikma (wisdom) behind the legislation of the hijab: `And when you ask them (the Prophet's wives) for anything you want, ask them from behind a screen, that is purer for your hearts and their hearts.' (S33:53).

The hijab makes for greater purity for the hearts of believing men and women because it screens against the desire of the heart. Without the hijab, the heart may or may not desire. That is why the heart is more pure when the sight is blocked (by hijab) and thus the prevention of fitna (evil actions is very much manifested. The hijab cuts off the ill thoughts and the greed of the sick hearts:

`Be not soft in speech, lest he in whose heart is a disease (of hypocrisy or evil desire for adultery, etc) should be moved with desire, but speak in an honourable manner.' (S33:32)

4. The hijab is a Shield

The prophet (pbuh) said: "Allah, Most High, is Heaven, is Ha'yeii (Bashful), Sit'teer (Shielder). He loves Haya' (Bashfulness) and Sitr (Shielding; Covering)."

The Prophet (pbuh) also said: "Any woman who takes off her clothes in other than her husband's house (to show off for unlawful purposes), has broken Allah's shield upon her. "

The hadith demonstrates that depending upon the kind of action committed there will be either reward (if good) or punishment (if bad).

5. The hijab is Taqwah (Righteousness)

Allah (swt) says in the Qur'an: O children of Adam! We have bestowed raiment upon you to cover yourselves (screen your private parts, etc) and as an adornment. But the raiment of righteousness, that is better.' (S7:26).

The widespread forms of dresses in the world today are mostly for show off and hardly taken as a cover and shield of the woman's body. To the believing women, however the purpose is to safeguard their bodies and cover their private parts as a manifestation of the order of Allah. It is an act of Taqwah (righteousness).

6. The hijab is Eemaan (Belief or Faith)

Allah (swt) did not address His words about the hijab except to the believing women, Al-Mo'minat. In many cases in the Qur'an Allah refers to the "the believing women". Aisha (RA), the wife of the prophet (pbuh), addressed some women from the tribe of Banu Tameem who came to visit her and had light clothes on them, they were improperly dressed: "If indeed you are believing women, then truly this is not the dress of the believing women, and if you are not believing women, then enjoy it."

7. The hijab is Haya' (Bashfulness)

There are two authentic hadith which state: "Each religion has a morality and the morality of Islam is haya'" AND "Bashfulness is from belief, and belief is in Al-Jannah (paradise)". The hijab fits the natural bashfulness which is a part of the nature of women.

8. The hijab is Gheerah

The hijab fits the natural feeling of Gheerah, which is intrinsic in the straight man who does not like people to look at his wife or daughters. Gheerah is a driving emotion that drives the straight man to safeguard women who are related to him from strangers. The straight MUSLIM man has Gheerah for ALL MUSLIM women In response to lust and desire, men look (with desire) at other women while they do not mind that other men do the same to their wives or daughters. The mixing of sexes and absence of hijab destroys the Gheera in men. Islam considers Gheerah an integral part of faith. The dignity of the wife or daughter or any other Muslim woman must be highly respected and defended.

Source:http://www.lutonmuslims.co.uk/virtuehijab.htm

innocent
03-19-2010, 10:46 AM
Jazakallah khair brother Hamza. Very important advice. I hope many sisters will benefit from this.

Misz_Muslimah
03-20-2010, 10:07 PM
Jazaakalahu khayran for sharing..
Very beneficial ..

Zehra786
03-21-2010, 07:23 AM
yes brother in Islam Hijab is very important for us ladies.. but I`ve noticed though some ladies cover themselves well and wear hijab.. there are still (NOT ALL THERE ARE SOME EXCEPTIONS) some guys who stare at you.. this is embarassing!!!
I mean to say here girls who dress properly wear hijab but not cover face..but cover head

Hamza Asadullah
03-21-2010, 07:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zehra786
yes brother in Islam Hijab is very important for us ladies.. but I`ve noticed though some ladies cover themselves well and wear hijab.. there are still (NOT ALL THERE ARE SOME EXCEPTIONS) some guys who stare at you.. this is embarassing!!!
I mean to say here girls who dress properly wear hijab but not cover face..but cover head
:sl: of course my sister no doubt about it there is no excuse for not keeping one's gaze low as we should all do at all times. But there is a difference between looking at someone out of curiosity and respect and looking at someone out of lust because of the fact that her bodily definition can clearly be seen. Men will not be able to look at a women in a lustful way if she has covered herself as prescribed in Islam but gaze should always be lowered regardless and the sin is on the person who does not keep their gaze low aswell as the person who purposely attracts attention from the opposite sex upon themselves.

May Allah save us from this and help our eyes not to wonder. Ameen

Zehra786
03-22-2010, 07:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamza81
:sl: of course my sister no doubt about it there is no excuse for not keeping one's gaze low as we should all do at all times. But there is a difference between looking at someone out of curiosity and respect and looking at someone out of lust because of the fact that her bodily definition can clearly be seen. Men will not be able to look at a women in a lustful way if she has covered herself as prescribed in Islam but gaze should always be lowered regardless and the sin is on the person who does not keep their gaze low aswell as the person who purposely attracts attention from the opposite sex upon themselves.

May Allah save us from this and help our eyes not to wonder. Ameen

:wa: brother in Islam
yes U r right..

paradise88
03-24-2010, 05:11 PM
Really good advice :) It reminded me of something else actually, some girls that dont wear hijab are so 'nice' so to say, dont do 'bad' things, have knowledge on islam, some even pray, fast etc but dont wear hijab. Is it the parents fault? I dont knw but i see this quite often too..

cat eyes
03-24-2010, 07:20 PM
well when i entered into islam first i was not wearing the veil because i did not know the importance of it but i was doing all the other stuff. what really made me realise i should wear it is because people were thinking i was a non muslim so at work alot of the time guys and girls would ask me out to cinema,club,pub etc and i felt i was not really protected also i mean i was constantly being asked out by men at work and i felt so cheap that i had to do something about it nobody took my relgious belief seriously until i wore the hijab and thats the truth nobody will treat you with any respect.

Hamza Asadullah
03-26-2010, 03:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by paradise786
Really good advice :) It reminded me of something else actually, some girls that dont wear hijab are so 'nice' so to say, dont do 'bad' things, have knowledge on islam, some even pray, fast etc but dont wear hijab. Is it the parents fault? I dont knw but i see this quite often too..
:sl: hijaab is not the only means of piety but helps one go towards piety. One cannot gain true piety until they are fulfilling their obligations to Allah.

Unfortunatley nowadays some of those who look like their fulfilling their obligations have other intentions or maybe just a lack of imaan or understanding. I think everycase is different and it is not fair to blame parents in all cases but it may be in some.

It is upto our sisters to give them the correct understanding and to remind them of the real purpose and sacredness of hijaab.

It is also upto our brothers to do the same for those brothers who dress innappropriatley or imitate the kufaar.

Enjoining good and forbidding evil is on the head of all Muslims so we should try our best to implement it into our daily lives as it is the enjoining of good and forbidding of evil which has given our ummah superiority over all other ummah's

Only Allah gives success and guides whom he wants

Hamza Asadullah
03-26-2010, 03:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
well when i entered into islam first i was not wearing the veil because i did not know the importance of it but i was doing all the other stuff. what really made me realise i should wear it is because people were thinking i was a non muslim so at work alot of the time guys and girls would ask me out to cinema,club,pub etc and i felt i was not really protected also i mean i was constantly being asked out by men at work and i felt so cheap that i had to do something about it nobody took my relgious belief seriously until i wore the hijab and thats the truth nobody will treat you with any respect.
:sl: jazakallah for sharing this with us. May Allah give us all the ability to fulfil his obligations properly and sincerely. Ameen

piXie
03-29-2010, 05:36 PM

Jazak Allaah Khayr for this very important reminder.

Hamza Asadullah
06-12-2010, 01:40 PM
That’s not Hijab!

We’ve all been there, you see a sister in skin tight jeans with a teeny scarf barely wrapped around her head, you judge and sometimes, if you’re bold enough, you set her straight. As a new muslim, I wrote an article about Hijab, Alhamdolillah I helped a few sisters to adopt the hijab but I burned many bridges. Perhaps I thought everyone should be at the same place of acceptance and understanding that I was, for certain I did not yet realize that Muslims are like everyone else, imperfect and prone to err.

All too often we see well meaning sisters (and brothers) approaching hot button issues like this without the necessary delicacy or the understanding of the other side of the story (or perhaps not realizing there is another side) We see serious and fragile issues approached with condescending humor or outright attack. But at what expense?

Hijab is Fard (Obligatory)

It’s right there plain for all to see in the Qur’an. Even most our sisters in the skin tight jeans know that and there is no sugar coating here. Hijab, is fard.

The word “Ignorant” is thrown around so often I think most of us are desensitized to it. It has almost become a way to make those we are “correcting” faceless, to make our judgments impersonal and remove the sense of responsibility we should have over our words. Because it’s them that’s ignorant, we’re just educating them, after all, hijab is obligatory! It’s not a choice.

There is this hadith to remind us to own our words, we are responsible for each and every one:

Abû Hurayrah relates that Allah’s Messenger (peace be upon him) said: “Whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day should speak a good word or remain silent. And whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day should show hospitality to his neighbor. And whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day should show hospitality to his guest.” [ Sahîh al-Bukhârî and Sahîh Muslim ]

And this Ayah (verse from the Qur’an)

“No good is there in much of their private conversation, except for those who enjoin charity or that which is right, or bring reconciliation between people. And whoever does that seeking Allah’s pleasure, then We shall grant him a great reward.” [ Sûrah al-Nisâ' : 114]

Together this Hadith and Ayah teach us to speak what is right, with good words. If we speak up about hijab and what consists of proper hijab, and we guide someone to the decision to wear it Alhamdolillah! We get a great reward for that. If we speak up about hijab in a way that is not inviting and drive someone away from it, Allahu A’alam (God knows best).

Be Gentle as the Prophet was.

Most of us have read the “humorous” Hijab article describing various types of incorrect hijab with silly nicknames and analogies. I’m sure the authors intentions were not bad, but the affects could be serious. Rather than encouraging sisters towards correct hijab, educating them in the importance, the meaning, the beauty of Hijab it essentially alienates them and makes fun of their interpretations of or attempts at hijab. This will not soften any hearts or guide anyone to the humble and wise beauty that is Hijab.

Thus it is due to mercy from God that you deal with them gently, and had you been rough and hard-hearted, they would certainly have dispersed from around you (Qur’an 3:159)

It is not easy to reserve judgment when we consider a concept so easy, so basic and so fundamental however the manner of the Prophet peace be upon him was not to embarrass and ridicule but to approach in a careful way so as to soften hearts and guide people to what is right.

A bedouin urinated in the mosque and some people rushed to beat him. The Prophet said, ‘Leave him alone and pour a bucket of water over it. You have been sent to make things easy and not to make them difficult‘ (Al-Bukhari)

Islam is a Journey

One thing I think a lot of us forget is that Islam is a journey.

Think of it as a road with almost a billion people walking on it. The one who walks faster is further along, the one who started later is further behind, each person is at a different place on their individual journey. If they fall, our job is to offer a hand up, if they have lost their map, our job is to offer ours as a means of guidance.

Islam was revealed to Muhammad peace be upon him over 23 years, during that time Allah offered transitional laws that were later abrogated, laws were given as the community matured, not all at once. This is not a reason for us to be lazy and take our time with perfecting our character, but it is a reason for us to understand the journey and to accept that everyones understanding and practice will change and evolve over the course of their lives, it’s not for us to dictate the journey each person takes, that is with Allah.

What’s the story?

Everyone has one. Reasons behind what they do and don’t do, things they find difficult deep down in the pit of their stomach, things that mind over matter doesn’t even begin to touch. I have a vast collection of my own. Something I try to remember when talking to anyone, about anything, is their story and how little I know of where they come from and what makes them tick the way they tick, I simply don’t know where their heart is at any given time. Even the hardest heart, is still a beating heart.

Source: http://www.muslimasoasis.com/2010/01/thats-not-hijab/

Hamza Asadullah
08-26-2010, 02:36 PM
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, what better time than any for our sisters to begin to wear the hijaab properly if they did not do so before Ramadan. Those who have just started wearing it then does it not feel amazing? Does it not feel like freedom for you? Then continue to wear it all through the year and do not listen to others who oppose you or the whispers of shaythan for shaythan is only wanting your destruction.

For those who conceal the beauty are most beautiful in the eyes of Allah and those who reveal their beauty to others is beautiful to shaythan and shaythan is your sworn and eternal enemy. So would you wear it for Allah or take it off for shaythan? Decision is yours but death can come at ANY time and what if it came whilst you were not covered?

May Allah give us all the ability to act upon our obligations and may he make it easy for us and guide us to the straight path. Ameen

Salahudeen
08-27-2010, 07:53 AM
Akhi your post makes alot of sense, just the other night as I was walking out the masjid a group of sisters were walking in the opposing direction and most of them were wearing black to be honest I didn't really notice them or their faces nothing caused me to look twice, but amongst them was 1 sister who was wearing a really bright hijaab that was also decorated with patterns and naturally my eye picked her up cos the colours and decorative patterns on her hijaab made her stand out so much. It's as if she was going to a wedding the way her hijaab was so heavily decorated. I didn't even notice the sisters who were wearing black but for some reason my eyes picked the bright colours up.

Rhubarb Tart
08-28-2010, 09:48 PM
http://tv.muxlim.com/video/sRpk62Oy1...ab-Terminator/

جوري
08-28-2010, 11:00 PM
Br. Hamzah undoubtedly shares some of the best articles I have read on this forum.. be that as it may, I'd like to emphasize that it is important to wear garments that represent you as a Muslim and represent your religion. Clean/smart and reflective of Allah swt blessings upon you. not wearing skimpy jeans and a colorful scarf doesn't mean that you can't wear clothes that kempt conservative clothes that represent Islam.

When you got for a job interview, everyone is dressed in a smart suit in the three allowed colors as dictated by the 'corporate world' Black/Gray/Navy blue.. no one dresses in busy looking, skin tight, meant to seduce outfits and everyone complies with that because they want a job.. well think of what you'd want when you desire to attain paradise.

I find it disheartening when I see Muslims either wearing ridiculous western garb, or dressing like unkempt paupers to feed into stereotypes about us.

please be mindful of Allah swt blessings upon you without being prodigal..

and Allah swt knows best

:w:

Rhubarb Tart
08-29-2010, 07:41 AM
I saw fawta talking about colours of hijab. The fawta mentioned (I will search for it and post it here ishallah) that it depend on where you are. He said if you are in a country where people wear coloured clothing (like somalia for example where they were green, blue, yellow all sort of colours really but the covered fully) then it would be okay. And if you where in country where people wore dark clothing, coloured clothing would be unacceptable because you stnad out.

Anyway the point was the person would not stand out so it depend where they are too.

Give me time to look for it.

Hamza Asadullah
08-29-2010, 04:00 PM
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, Unfortunatley many of our sisters go out and wear hijaab of innappropriate colours which attract too much attention to themselves which goes against the very purpose of hijaab but this also applies to some men. I myself have seen many brothers in the Masjid who wear bright red, pink, orange and yellow tops.

It is innappropriate for a male to be wearing bright orange, red, pink and yellow tops for it is forbidden for a male to dress feminine and imitate women in anyway with regards to the way they dress. It is also innappropriate for males to be wearing low cut tops and tops which are too tight on the body for they are imitating women by dressing so feminine.

Women are allowed to wear any colour of clothing but when going out they should be very careful not to choose colours which may attract too much attention. It is contrary to the purpose of hijaab to wear bright pink and red coloured hijaab but there is nothing wrong with wearing darker colours but brighter ones should be avoided when going out. When they are at home in front of mahrams they can wear whatever colour they like.

Unfortunatley there are many of our sisters out there who wear hijaab in a fashionable way like behind there ears with their whole neck and ears showing with huge earings on and hijaab like a camels hump and also hijaab with ten inches of makeup. One should ask themselves what there intention is behind wearing hijaab in this way? Some say it is better than nothing but is it really? By wearing the hijaab in this way they are influencing others to wear the hijaab in the same way and that is why so many unfortunatley wear hijaab innappropriatley. With hijaab comes responsibility and that responsibility is that they may influence other sisters to think that it is acceptable to wear hijaab in such a way. This also applies to men who dress to imitate kufaar and dress so femininley. What impression is this giving to our younger youth who grow up to look upto us and get influenced by us whether we like it or not.

Therefore let us realise that we have responsibilites in the way we dress outside and that this should not be taken for granted for shaythan always wants to play his evil hands in every aspect of our lives. Males should not wear feminine bright colours so tightly and low cut for this is not only imitating the kufaar but also imitating the women and such people are cursed.

We should be careful of letting shaythan play a part in the way we dress for he is always trying to influence us and deceive us until eventually we are committing major sins without even realising it. So we should wake up and try to wake others up but in a gentle, beautiful manner using wisdom and tact. The best dawah we can give to others is the way we dress ourselves for if we dress appropriatley then this will influence others to dress the same inshallah.

May Allah save us and guide us to the straight path. Ameen

Rhubarb Tart
08-29-2010, 09:31 PM

I couldn't find the one I was taking about but found this:

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear questioner! Thank you for this question, which reflects a true desire to learn more about Islam and its guidance and to live accordingly.

In the first place, it should be noted that there are certain requirements for a Muslim woman's dress. These are:

1. It must cover the whole body.

2. It must not be tight or transparent.

3. It must not delineate the parts of the body, especially those parts that are sexually attractive.

4. It must not be a dress that is usually worn by men.

Jurists, including Imam Ash-Shafi`i, have unanimously agreed that hijab is obligatory upon every woman; however, they differ on covering the face. Some jurists hold that the face must be covered whereas others maintain that it is merely a recommended act.

There is no specific significance for the color black to say that the dress should be black. In some cultures, certain colors are reserved for men; in such a case, a woman should not wear those colors while in that cultural setting.

Elaborating on this issue, Sheikh Muhmmad Saleh Al-Munajjid, a prominent Muslim scholar and Saudi lecturer, issues the following fatwa:

“It is not one of the conditions pertaining to the Muslim woman's dress that it should be black. A woman may wear whatever she wants, so long as she does not wear a color that is only for men [according to the custom of the country], and she does not wear a garment that is an adornment in itself, that is, decorated and adorned in such a way that it attracts the gaze of men, because of the general meaning of the verse:‘and not to show off their adornment…’ (An-Nur: 31)

“This general meaning includes the outer garment, if it is decorated. Abu Dawud narrated from Abu Hurairah that the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) said: ‘Do not prevent the female slaves of Allah from attending the mosques of Allah, but let them go out unadorned.’”

In the Fatwas of the Standing Committee for Fatwa and Research in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia we read:

"It is not permissible for a woman to go out in a decorated garment that attracts people’s gaze, because this is something that tempts men.

“The dress of the Muslim woman need not only be black. It is permissible for her to wear any color of clothing so long as it covers her `awrah (the parts of the body that have to be covered), does not resemble men’s clothing, and is not so tight as to show the shape of her limbs or so thin as to show what is beneath it, and does not provoke temptation.

“It is not a must for women to wear black. They may wear other colors that are worn only by women, do not attract attention, and do not provoke desire.

“Many women choose to wear black, not because it is obligatory, but because it is farthest removed from being an adornment. There are reports that indicate that the women of the Companions used to wear black. Abu Dawud narrated that Umm Salamah said: ‘When the words ‘and to draw their veils all over juyubihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms [one interpretation of the meaning])’ (An-Nur: 31) were revealed, the women of the Ansar (Helpers) went out looking as if there were crows on their heads because of their garments.’

“This is to be understood as meaning that those clothes were black in color.”

Excerpted, with slight modifications, from: www.islam-qa.com

Also read:

Requirements of the Muslim Woman's Dress

Read more: http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...#ixzz0y26OQ3ml
http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503547294

cat eyes
08-29-2010, 10:16 PM
ive realised wearing full black does not attract anyone.

Aisha20
08-30-2010, 12:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sweet106
I saw fawta talking about colours of hijab. The fawta mentioned (I will search for it and post it here ishallah) that it depend on where you are. He said if you are in a country where people wear coloured clothing (like somalia for example where they were green, blue, yellow all sort of colours really but the covered fully) then it would be okay. And if you where in country where people wore dark clothing, coloured clothing would be unacceptable because you stnad out.

Anyway the point was the person would not stand out so it depend where they are too.

Give me time to look for it.
I totally agree!! Here most of the time for exmple in weddings n those places people usually wear colourful dresses, for exm. pink. all the dress n pant is pink and wht abt the head? so EVERYONE i guess i hvnt seen exception here, match their dress colour with their hijabs. But, in case someone wears black dress,, they 'd wear black hijab aswell.
I guess it depends on what u wear, if u wear something colourful then its ok.

Ummu Sufyaan
09-10-2010, 12:37 PM
how would you go around advising sisters about modesty in places where there are alot of sisters (such as a masjid). individually, the task may not be so hard...so if you see one or two sisters whose dress doesn't conform to the sunnah in a group of hundreds, generally it would be easy to advise...or perhaps even a sister you may bump into at the mall or something...again it is easier to advise. but how would you go about advising alot of sisters? could putting up a poster concerning the conditions of hijab, etc on the notice boards in majids/community centers do the trick? any ideas?

Hamza Asadullah
09-22-2010, 12:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummu Sufyaan
how would you go around advising sisters about modesty in places where there are alot of sisters (such as a masjid). individually, the task may not be so hard...so if you see one or two sisters whose dress doesn't conform to the sunnah in a group of hundreds, generally it would be easy to advise...or perhaps even a sister you may bump into at the mall or something...again it is easier to advise. but how would you go about advising alot of sisters? could putting up a poster concerning the conditions of hijab, etc on the notice boards in majids/community centers do the trick? any ideas?
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, jazakallahu khayran for your concern for other sisters. We should all strive to give dawah to others and to aslo constantly improve ourselves.

When advising sisters one to one then one must be careful not to sound attacking or judgmental lest the sister gets defensive and once this happens then they would not want to listen. Rather than say "you should", say "we should" and that will get a better reaction.

We must use wisdom and tact when approaching such issues and be gentle but firm in that the commands of Allah must be obeyed properly because unfortunatley some sisters want to find loop holes and that is why some wear the hijaab as a fashion accessory and think that it is alright to wear tight clothes and x amount of makeup for surely they arebeing decieved by shaythan.

In regards to how one can get the message across to many sisters then as you suggested posters can be very effective especially if they are eye catching and will draw the attention of those who are passing the notice board.

The poster should be eye catching but not too colourful so as to dilute the message of the poster but eye catching enough to draw attention of passers by so that they may read the poster. These posters should be put in University Islamic societies in the sisters sections as well as in local community centres and sisters sections in the Masjids.

Simplified versions of these posters can also be put up in notice boards in young Islamic girls schools so that they can learn at an early age that hijaab must be worn properly with jilbaab.

It may also be an idea to include this dawah in monthly Islamic newsletters especially those for sisters as well as e mail campaigns that can be forwarded to sisters encouraging them to forward to other sisters as the world wibe web is a great way of getting the right message accross a wider area in a short amount of time. Even short simple text reminders can be sent to sisters encouraging sisters to send to their friends etc.

It may also be a good idea to give out free leaflets in any sisters events or these leaflets can be left in the sisters section in Majids, community centres and Islamic societies in Universities etc for sisters to pick up at their own free will.

There is also quite a large Muslim community that take part in social networking sites like Facebook so there should be good articles and reminders on this topic circulating and posted on these social networking sites so that other sisters can read and benefit from them.

It is all about knowledge and so teachers in Islamic school for girls should be encouraged to get this message accross especially at an early age and there should be more talks about this important topic in the various sisters events that take place and in Islamic societies in Universities and local community centres. There should be regular reminders and lectures on this important topic.

One should also continue to make dua that all the sisters wear the hijaab properly and that Allah guide them to the right path. We should ask of Allah to make our dawah have a positive effect on people.

We should also remember that the best dawah is the way we come across in regards to our character. If we come across humble,respectful and one of good character then this is the best dawah we can give to others because they will see us in a positive light and will think that there is some good in this person and in what they follow but if we come across the opposite then no one will want to listen to us or take anything from us.

And Allah knows best in all matters

sabr*
09-22-2010, 01:53 AM
As-Salāmu `Alaykum (السلام عليكم):

There are very knowledgeable, practicing Muslimah who lead by example in every Masjid. It amazes me that the Muslim brothers are the fashion police for sisters. Especially when they are not the sisters Mahram (unmarriageable kin) or Wali.

All Muslims are directed to observe modesty in dress. The extra direction for Muslim women is only to protect them from men.

The offensive dress of the tight fitting chinos, shorts, and pants worn by brothers is just as much an issue. (Very effeminate)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4jQi0Gjy3M

This was submitted with the best intentions and the best construction should be applied. Insha Allah

Hamza Asadullah
09-23-2010, 12:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sabr*
As-Salāmu `Alaykum (السلام عليكم):

There are very knowledgeable, practicing Muslimah who lead by example in every Masjid. It amazes me that the Muslim brothers are the fashion police for sisters. Especially when they are not the sisters Mahram (unmarriageable kin) or Wali.

All Muslims are directed to observe modesty in dress. The extra direction for Muslim women is only to protect them from men.

The offensive dress of the tight fitting chinos, shorts, and pants worn by brothers is just as much an issue. (Very effeminate)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4jQi0Gjy3M

This was submitted with the best intentions and the best construction should be applied. Insha Allah
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, jazakallahu khayran brother i also mentioned hijaab for men in my post before the last one last so please feel free to read my posts in this thread and unfortunatley this is a growing trend with our brothers and sisters which is contrary to Islamic teachings

This thread was also submitted with the best of intentions to highlight this growing issue. May this thread have a positive effect on those who read it inshallah.

And Allah knows best in all matters

Hamza Asadullah
11-06-2010, 02:40 PM
The Full Hijaab - Shaikh Salem al Amry

http://www.tubeislam.com/video/6933/...-Salem-al-Amry

Cabdullahi
11-06-2010, 03:14 PM
some sisters wear radioactive material just like the power rangers

pink...blue...red...yellow

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.