/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Yemen: New frontier in US 'war on terror'

JoshuaD
01-01-2010, 04:26 PM
The increased violence in Yemen is a clear indication that military campaigns to crush al-Qaeda-inspired violence extend far beyond the borders of Afghanistan and Pakistan.

It also shows up hostile fault-lines within the Middle East, pitting mainly Shia Iran against Sunni Saudi Arabia, who condemn each other for taking sides in Yemen's long-running civil war.

Yemen is one of the poorest countries in the Arab world with almost half its 24 million people living below the poverty line and an authoritarian government that has failed to win the trust of a substantive part of its own population.

This makes fertile ground for al-Qaeda.

US intelligence agencies have determined that, along with Pakistan, Yemen is a key area on which to concentrate on al-Qaeda.

More than 90 detainees still in America's Guantanamo Bay detention centre come from Yemen. That is nearly half the total.

Despite the policy to close Guantanamo, US authorities do not want to send them back for fear that they would boost al-Qaeda's operations and morale there.

The US has invested some $70m (£40m) in military aid in Yemen in the past year, believed to include training, the use of drones and intelligence to pinpoint al-Qaeda camps and activity.

Much is classified because neither Yemen nor the US wants American activities there to stir up yet more dissent.

The instability in Yemen is becoming critical. Al-Qaeda has announced that its networks in Yemen and Saudi Arabia have merged to create al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula.

The civil war is being waged by the Shia community in the north that borders Saudi Arabia. Saudi forces have actively intervened.

In one case it was accused of bombing a market killing many civilians.

Iran has publicly warned against any foreign intervention.

And - although the phrase is now frowned upon - US intelligence agencies are keeping a closer and closer watch in this newly-emerging theatre in the "war on terror".
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/8429843.stm

The Christmas Day plot to blow up Northwest Airlines Flight 253 in the skies over Detroit was hatched in an impoverished republic on the Arabian Peninsula, according to jihadist websites.

Suspected Nigerian plane bomber Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab told FBI investigators that he was trained in Yemen, where the CIA is running a "covert front" against al-Qaeda, according to the New York Times.

US military planners are growing increasingly concerned that Yemen could rival Iraq and Afghanistan as a security challenge, if they do not act pre-emptively to dismantle terrorist networks. YEMEN FACTS

Population: 23.6 million (UN, 2009)
Capital: Sanaa
Major language: Arabic
Major religion: Islam
Oil exports: $1.5bn/24.5m barrels (Jan-Oct 2009)
Income per capita: US $950 (World Bank, 2008)

Trainers from the US military have been discreetly working with Yemen's elite counter-terrorism unit for several years.

But during the past 12 months, concern that al-Qaeda could establish a new "safe haven" in the Arabian Peninsula has been rising. Now, the budget for US military assistance to Yemen is doubling.

Earlier this month, President Barack Obama allegedly gave his personal approval for the Yemeni authorities to launch a missile strike against an al-Qaeda camp, killing more than 30 people.

A second strike, a week later, was targeted at a gathering of militant leaders, supposedly backed by US intelligence.

But Yemenis are warning that direct US intervention will inflame anti-Americanism and encourage violent extremism in this observant Muslim country, just several hundred miles from Mecca - the holiest site of Islam.

Narrow escape

Yemen has become the new centre of gravity for al-Qaeda on the Arabian Peninsula, following the January 2009 merger of al-Qaeda in Yemen and al-Qaeda in Saudi Arabia to form a single transnational organisation.

In August, Saudi Arabia's deputy interior minister, Prince Muhammad bin Naif, narrowly escaped assassination when an al-Qaeda affiliate blew himself up at the prince's house. If the state fails, al-Qaeda is sure to gain a greater foothold in the poorest country in the Middle East

The bomber, a Saudi national, had planned and prepared the attack across the border in Yemen.

In an echo of the Northwest Airlines plot, the suicide bomber packed PETN (pentaerythritol) explosives inside his body to evade detection but failed to kill his intended target.

The botched attack highlighted the intention of al-Qaeda operatives in Yemen to strike outside the country's borders.

It also underlined the importance of Yemen's internal security to Saudi Arabia, the region's largest oil producer.

State failure

Yemen's terrorist networks have reconstituted themselves since a 2006 jailbreak, when more than 20 suspected and convicted terrorists escaped from prison.

Since then, Yemen has also paid the price for security gains elsewhere in the region.

Crackdowns in Saudi Arabia, Iraq and Pakistan have encouraged al-Qaeda associates to flee to Yemen's "under-governed" areas, where the central government confronts the prospect of state failure.

The Yemeni authorities are fighting a costly civil war in the north, with the help of Saudi Arabia, and confronting a separatist movement in the south.

Yemen's economy is heavily oil-dependent but production has passed its peak and revenue available to the state budget is likely to dwindle to zero over the coming decade.

If the state fails, al-Qaeda is sure to gain a greater foothold in the poorest country in the Middle East.

Ironically, Yemen's poverty has played a part in maintaining its reputation for piety, which draws hundreds of Muslims and converts from all over the world to pray and study in its mosques and madrassas.

Many are devout scholars, attracted by the hardline brand of Salafi Islam that prospers in Yemen.

But Mr Abdulmutallab's claim that other al-Qaeda operatives are being trained in Yemen will raise concerns about the process of radicalisation in this strategic, populous Arab country.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/8433519.stm

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Supreme
01-02-2010, 12:26 AM
Yemen is a very poor country, the poorest Arab country in fact. It is facing seperatists in the South, Shia rebels in the north and al Queda operatives. However, the difference between Yemen and Afghanistan is that the Yemenis seem to be generally concerned about terrorism, and do try their best with limited resources. I think if we support the government there financially, Yemen may help beat terrorism. That said, Somalia looks even more unstable and attractive to terrorists.

YusufNoor
01-02-2010, 01:26 AM
another adventure in deception. how does a guy [who's dad has ALREADY been interrogated after reporting his son to be at a terrorists training camps in Yemen] without a passport, who buys a one-way ticket, WITH CASH, and no luggage get on a plane for an international flight:

http://www.newworldorderreport.com/A...r-suspect.aspx

another false flag op perhaps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQY6brH5OPE

hmmmmmm

Italianguy
01-02-2010, 01:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by YusufNoor
another adventure in deception. how does a guy [who's dad has ALREADY been interrogated after reporting his son to be at a terrorists training camps in Yemen] without a passport, who buys a one-way ticket, WITH CASH, and no luggage get on a plane for an international flight:

http://www.newworldorderreport.com/A...r-suspect.aspx

another false flag op perhaps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQY6brH5OPE

hmmmmmm
Tell me about it.....it took me a week in october to get a plane ticket for a 4 hour US flight! When i went to renew my license last year, the DMV (department of motor vehicles) was trying to hold me (they did) for 4 hours, Apparently you have to have a birth cirtificate, social security card and 3 forms of I.D. now to renew your license?....i didnt know? So they looked at me....looked at my wife (Indian) .....and said you don't have proper id....I said i don't have a birth citificate, it was burnt in a fire.....I must have said the wrong thing, It took 5 hours and my mother driving 2 hours to give them the stuff needed.....I asked one time what happens now(durring)? and they said i was to be deported!!!!!!! I was like where?, Italy....New york where i was born? What? they said when they find out they will tell me.....Ugggggggg:heated:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
sister herb
01-02-2010, 01:48 AM
USA seems to be interesting country. I have a Palestinian friend who has lived and studied there years. She tried to get passport and officers denied hers application. They said she has got loan and she has to pay it pack during 90 days. 6000 $ during 90 days!

:omg:

She told me only lawyers or drug dealers could pay such money so fast. Now she is in stuck in USA, without possible to meet hers family in the West Bank.

:heated:

Oh... she is Palestinian, so possible terrorist of course.

Karl
01-02-2010, 02:26 AM
"The US has invested some $70m (£40m) in military aid in Yemen in the past year, believed to include training, the use of drones and intelligence to pinpoint al-Qaeda camps and activity."

LOL. $70m squandered in some far flung little country on the other side of the planet in ONE YEAR ALONE! While back home in the US people are having their wages lowered and lowered towards the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour. The US dollar is also continuing to weaken. They are even ripping up their roads because they can't afford to maintain tar sealed roads any longer. People in some states are so poor they are having trouble even getting bread on the table for their families. It will be an in debt thrid world country before they know it. Nonetheless, they are so zealous Zionists that even then they will still continue to be invading the planet while continuing to clock up massive debt. The Zionist nazis will burn out just like the anti Zionist nazis did in WWII.

Woodrow
01-02-2010, 02:31 AM
It has been over 2 years since I flew on a commercial flight. I probably could have walked faster after all of the delays. I had 2 of my grandchildren with me. For legal purposes and to prevent problems with getting medical care for either of them, I was assigned 30 day custody of the children. Had a stack of papers to prove who the children and myself were. Yet, got held up for hours at every stop and had to prove I was really the grandfather and I had legal custody.

Th flight was entirely within the USA.

Joe98
01-02-2010, 03:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow

It has been over 2 years since I flew on a commercial flight.........The flight was entirely within the USA.
And this is on topic?

Where is an Admin when you need one! ;D

-

Joe98
01-02-2010, 03:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by YusufNoor;
....another false flag op perhaps:
hmmmmmm

Were the burning underpants a false flag? ;D
-

Joe98
01-02-2010, 03:44 AM
"The Christmas Day plot to blow up Northwest Airlines Flight 253 in the skies over Detroit was hatched in an impoverished republic on the Arabian Peninsula, according to jihadist websites."

Why would Juhadists web sites say such a thing if they know the US will retaliate???

-

Vito
01-02-2010, 04:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Joe98
"The Christmas Day plot to blow up Northwest Airlines Flight 253 in the skies over Detroit was hatched in an impoverished republic on the Arabian Peninsula, according to jihadist websites."

Why would Juhadists web sites say such a thing if they know the US will retaliate???

-
Retaliate? The us has been attacking parts of Yemen for a while now.

KittenLover
01-02-2010, 04:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Karl
"The US has invested some $70m (£40m) in military aid in Yemen in the past year, believed to include training, the use of drones and intelligence to pinpoint al-Qaeda camps and activity."

LOL. $70m squandered in some far flung little country on the other side of the planet in ONE YEAR ALONE! While back home in the US people are having their wages lowered and lowered towards the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour. The US dollar is also continuing to weaken. They are even ripping up their roads because they can't afford to maintain tar sealed roads any longer. People in some states are so poor they are having trouble even getting bread on the table for their families. It will be an in debt thrid world country before they know it. Nonetheless, they are so zealous Zionists that even then they will still continue to be invading the planet while continuing to clock up massive debt. The Zionist nazis will burn out just like the anti Zionist nazis did in WWII.
It's all part of the plan :hmm: US economy is gonna collapse and Israel is going to replace it as the next world super power. USA is only paving the way for Israel to easily dominate the middle east without any difficulty. The dajjal will then rule from Israel.

Italianguy
01-02-2010, 04:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister harb
USA seems to be interesting country. I have a Palestinian friend who has lived and studied there years. She tried to get passport and officers denied hers application. They said she has got loan and she has to pay it pack during 90 days. 6000 $ during 90 days!

:omg:

She told me only lawyers or drug dealers could pay such money so fast. Now she is in stuck in USA, without possible to meet hers family in the West Bank.

:heated:

Oh... she is Palestinian, so possible terrorist of course.
That stinksimsad

Italianguy
01-02-2010, 04:49 AM

So am I a Zionist?

Italianguy
01-02-2010, 04:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
It has been over 2 years since I flew on a commercial flight. I probably could have walked faster after all of the delays. I had 2 of my grandchildren with me. For legal purposes and to prevent problems with getting medical care for either of them, I was assigned 30 day custody of the children. Had a stack of papers to prove who the children and myself were. Yet, got held up for hours at every stop and had to prove I was really the grandfather and I had legal custody.

Th flight was entirely within the USA.
Sorry that happened to youimsad

It's true though, It takes longer o fly in USA than to fly out of it........I'am getting the first ticket out of here, when the stuff hits the fan!:p......It should only take...ummmm......90 days;D

Italianguy
01-02-2010, 04:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by KittenLover
It's all part of the plan :hmm: US economy is gonna collapse and Israel is going to replace it as the next world super power. USA is only paving the way for Israel to easily dominate the middle east without any difficulty. The dajjal will then rule from Israel.
Well here's my plan.....Sell my house for a big truck, sel everything else for a boat, take truck and tow boat to water, sell truck for fuel for boat.....die at sea within 4 days because the fuel was so expensive i couldn't afford to fill the tank!imsad

Pray God will accept me.....or swim to Jamaica....mon!;D

Supreme
01-02-2010, 12:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by KittenLover
Israel a world power? A regional power maybe, but China and India have far more rights to that claim. I believe the world will soon be dominated by America, China and India, and the only way Britain can survive is to integrate further into Europe.

Karl
01-03-2010, 12:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Italianguy
So am I a Zionist?
I don't know. Are you? Only you can tell us that. There are 2 VERY different kinds of Christians. There are the anti Zionist ones, and on the complete opposing side there's that brand of Christian-Zionists who prosper in the US and UK. They tend to be the main heads of the Whitehouse and Pentagon. (Obama, Rice, Cheney and Bush, to name a tiny few). They coerce hundreds of billions $ off the hard working Americans and send it to Israel. I have photos of Bush wearing the Jewish skull cap in a synagogue in prayer. I think that pretty much sums up everything about US governance.

Italianguy
01-03-2010, 03:45 AM
I don't know. Are you? Only you can tell us that. There are 2 VERY different kinds of Christians. There are the anti Zionist ones, and on the complete opposing side there's that brand of Christian-Zionists who prosper in the US and UK. They tend to be the main heads of the Whitehouse and Pentagon. (Obama, Rice, Cheney and Bush, to name a tiny few). They coerce hundreds of billions $ off the hard working Americans and send it to Israel. I have photos of Bush wearing the Jewish skull cap in a synagogue in prayer. I think that pretty much sums up everything about US governance.
I guess since they probably wouldn't let me in the white house.....I don't quallify to be a Zionist;D Not that i am. so to answer you ...no i am not.

The only thing I have a chance to follow with my own government is the IRS always wanting more of my money:heated:...so i don't have time to follow what our presidents are doing......their probably trying to figure out how they can get more mney from my business as we speak......well I was right....new year , new laws..= less money for meimsad

God bless friend.

Only thing I can do is give God His due glory and thank Him for what I do have.

sister herb
01-03-2010, 09:33 AM
As zionists see this; here is two kind of anti-zionists people:

a) if you are a jew and don´t support zionism, you are self-hated jew

b) if you are not a jew and you don´t support zionism, then you are antisemitic (just same if you are semitic by race or not)

:exhausted

By this seems I am antisemitic then.

Raaina
01-03-2010, 12:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supreme
Israel a world power? A regional power maybe, but China and India have far more rights to that claim. I believe the world will soon be dominated by America, China and India, and the only way Britain can survive is to integrate further into Europe.
Yes, I agree with you on this statement 100%

Are you going to run as an MP? :statisfie

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.