/* */

PDA

View Full Version : sleeping on the stomach

AnonymousPoster
01-02-2010, 03:54 AM
i know the rule pertaining to sleeping on the stomach, but if im sick and sleeping on the stomach will help, is that allowed?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ali_008
01-02-2010, 09:48 AM
:sl:
if its the only way by which your ailment can be cured than it will be permissible. If there aren't any alternatives available or other medicines which won't ask for you to sleep in that way. Even alcohol is permitted for curing as long as there's no alternative available.

zakirs
01-02-2010, 11:55 AM
Brother i guess it would be fine for a therapy or health purposes :). All the best for your health.

Allah knows best.

Innocent Soul
01-02-2010, 01:23 PM
Sleeping on the stomach is not allowed ?
I do that many times :hiding:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
AlHoda
01-02-2010, 02:50 PM
:sl:
I almost always sleep on my stomach, thought it was makrooh but I always find that position comfortable. Is it really haram?

Fטлку
01-02-2010, 02:52 PM
What's wrong with sleeping on your stomach? :hiding:

AlHoda
01-02-2010, 03:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fטлку
I believe it's makrooh, but I do sleep on my stomach, because it is my most comfortable sleep-position.

ardianto
01-02-2010, 03:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fטлку
That is the 'sleep of hell inhabitant'. I found two hadith about it, but unfortunately, I cannot translate those hadith into English.

Hamza Asadullah
01-02-2010, 06:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AnonymousGender
i know the rule pertaining to sleeping on the stomach, but if im sick and sleeping on the stomach will help, is that allowed?
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, click on this link for it has some very useful tips in how to stop sleeping on ones stomach:

http://www.sleepnet.com/rest6/messages/253.html

Here are the sunnat's of sleep which we should all try our best to do everynight from now on inshallah:

Before going to Bed

1. If after Isha one does not have anything important to do like any commitments then one should go early to bed and avoid useless talk and gatherings. Going to bed early assists one in waking up early for worship.

2. Recite Bismillah (In the name of Allah) before closing the doors of the house, before covering utensils with food in them, switch off or turn off fires, light etc (Bukhari)

3. To discuss with family members matters pertaining to Islam like stories of the Sahaba’s or reminders that will help increase imaan(faith). Or to simply talk about matters that please them without getting into useless talk. (Tirmidhi)

4. Children who are aged nine or ten years of age should be separated from females in one room and males in another. (Mishkat)

5. Apply Surma (Kohl) in each eye three times (Mishkat)

6. To lay or spread the bed oneself (Muslim)

7. To dust ones bed before sleeping (Mishkat)

8. Recite ‘Bismillah’ when removing clothing as it is a cover and protection from Jinn and shaythan.

9. To make Miswaak before retiring to bed even if one has already made it for Isha salat.

10. To use a pillow to rest ones head on (Muslim)

11. Rasulallah(Pbuh) pillow was made of leather filled with palm leaves(date leaves).

12. To use leather and hide as bedding for sleeping

13. To use straw mat for sleeping

14. To sleep on a mar or carpet made of cloth

15. To sleep on the floor

16. To sleep on a bed (Nashrut Tib)

17. If one does any of the above with the intention of sunnat then one will receive reward inshallah

18. To sleep in a state of wudu, (Attargheeb)

19. It is prohibited to sleep on ones stomach as shaythan sleeps on his stomach (Tirmidhi)

20. It is also prohibited to sleep on the back with the one leg on top of the other (Muslim)

Note: If there is no fear of exposing ones private parts then it is permissible to sleep in this manner but one should be careful.

21. To sleep on the right side, facing towards the Qibla (Bukhari)

22. To sleep with the right hand underneath the face like a pillow and with the knees slightly bent (Like in the recovery position)

23. One should also recite Surah Mulk before sleeping as it is saves one from the grave punishment. Suran Mulk should also be read aswell as Surah Yaseen.

24. Surah Waaqi’a should be read before sleeping as it saves one from hunger and poverty (Attargheeb)

25.When one goes to bed then say the following:

‘When retiring to his bed every night, the Prophet (saw) would hold his palms together, spit (A form of spitting comprising mainly of air with little spittle) in them, recite the last three chapters (Al-Ikhlas, Al-Falaq, An-Nas) of the Quran and then wipe over his entire body as much as possible with his hands, beginning with his head and face and then all parts of the body, he would do this 3 times.’ (Tirmidhi)

26. The Prophet (saw) also said: ‘When you are about to sleep recite ayat-al-kursee (The verse of the foot-stool, chapter 2:255) till the end of the verse for there will remain over you a protection from Allah and no devil will draw near to you until morning.’

27. The Prophet (saw) also said: ‘Whoever recites the last two verses of Soorat Al-Baqarah at night, those two verses shall be sufficient for him (i.e. protect him from all that can cause him harm).’

(Amana alrrasoolu bima onzila ilayhi min rabbihi wa almu/minoona….)
[Al-Baqarah: 285-286]

28. Also reciting the ten verses in Surah Baqarah at night is said to ward away shaythan and calamities,illnesses,worries from ones home so ones whole family is protected that night. Those 10 verses are: The first four aways of Surah Baqarah; Ayatul Kursi and the two verses following it and the last three verses of the surah.

29. ‘If one of you rises from his bed and then returns to it he should dust it with the edge of his garment three times for he does not know what has occurred in his absence and when he lies down he should supplicate:

Bismika rabbee wadaAAtu janbee wabika arfaAAuh, fa-in amsakta nafsee farhamha, wa-in arsaltaha fahfathha bima tahfathu bihi AAibadakas-saliheen.

‘In Your name my Lord, I lie down and in Your name I rise, so if You should take my soul then have mer upon it, and if You should return my soul then protect it in the manner You do so with Your righteous servants.’

30. The Prophet (saw) would place his right hand under his cheek when about to sleep and supplicate:

Allahumma qinee AAathabaka yawma tabAAathu AAibadak. (three times).

‘O Allah, protect me from Your punishment on the day Your servants are resurrected.’ (three times)

31. Also read this dua:

Bismikal-lahumma amootu wa-ahya.

‘In Your name O Allah, I live and die.’

32. Recite the following Isthighfar three times: Asthaghfirullah halladhee laa ilaaha ilallahuwal hayyul qayyumu wa athubu ilay

I seek forgiveness from Allah besides whom there is none worthy of worship, the living, the sutainer of life and to Him i repent. (Tirmidhi)

33. ‘Shall I not direct you both (The Prophet (saw) was addressing Ali and Fatimah-may Allah be pleased with them- when they approached him for a servant) to something better than a servant? When you go to bed say:

Subhanal-lah. (thirty-three times)
Alhamdu lillah. (thirty-three times)
Allahu akbar. (thirty-four times)

…for that is indeed better for you both than a servant.’

Also read kalima Tayyaba afterwards.

34. ‘If you take to your bed, then perform ablution, lie on your right side and then supplicate:

Allahumma aslamtu nafsee ilayk, wafawwadtu amree ilayk, wawajjahtu wajhee ilayk, wa-alja/tu thahree ilayk, raghbatan warahbatan ilayk, la maljaa wala manja minka illa ilayk, amantu bikitabikal-lathee anzalt, wabinabiyyikal-lathee arsalt.

‘O Allah, I submit my soul unto You, and I entrust my affair unto You, and I turn my face towards You, and I totally rely on You, in hope and fear of You.Verily there is no refuge nor safe haven from You except with You. I believe in Your Book which You have revealed and in Your Prophet whom You have sent.’

…If you then die, you will die upon the fitrah.’

fitrah: the religion of Islam, the way of Ibraheem.

35. To recite Bismillah 21 times is said to save ones home from theft and the evil effects of shaythan and sudden death.

36. Recite durood whilst falling asleep.

37. To keep the prayer mat near ones head or besides bed before sleeping (Nisaai)

38. Precaution should be taken that children do not notice marital relations between husband and wife (Mishkaat)

39. Zaid bin Thabit complained to Rasulallah(Pbuh) of not being able to go to sleep at times and Rasulallah (Pbuh) advised him to recite the following dua:

Allahummah ghaarithinnujumu wa hadaathil uyoonu wa antha hayyun qayyumulla tha’ khudhu ka sinathuwalaa nawmun yaa hayyun yaa qayyoomu a’hde’ laylee wa anim ‘aynee

Oh Allah the stars have sunk in and the eyes have become tranquil and quite and You are alive and ever lasting neither does sleep overcome You. Oh the living and ever lasting one make my night my tranquil and give my eyes sleep. (Ibn Sunni)

40. If after sleeping one experiences a pleasant dream then when ones eyes open then say “Alhamdulillah” then the pleasant dream should only be revealed to trustworthy learned ones so that the dream can be interpreted correctly.

41. If one experiences an unpleasant dream then one should spit spit (A form of spitting comprising mainly of air with little spittle) three times on the left side and then recite three times “ Audhobillaahi Minashaythaanirajeem”.

42. The dream should NOT be revealed to anyone then it will bring no harm to the person (Bukhari,Muslim)

43. To have water and Miswaak ready in advance for Wudu (Muslim)

44. To sleep with the intention of getting up for Tahajjud (Nisaa’i)

45. To read Tahajjud salat before subho sadiq (Dawn) (Mishkaat)

harrus
01-03-2010, 12:39 PM
very informative thank you hamza

Innocent Soul
01-03-2010, 12:52 PM
Jazakallah bro!
I was just confused about it.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.