PDA

View Full Version : Video games in arabic world



Keinonen
01-02-2010, 04:20 PM
Hello everyone. Just popped in to ask a few questions regarding the topic above. If anyone with some knoweledge about video game scene in the Arabic world would bother answering, I'd appreciate it greatly.

1. Are video games an "accepted" form of media in Arabic culture? By this I mean is it ok for a grown up(majority of gamers in the west are middle aged) to play video games or is it regarded as "kid's play"?
2. Do people play lot of video games in Arabic world? By "Arabic world" I mean people in Northern Africa and Middle-East because, correct me if I'm wrong, I understand language is quite similar in these muslim countries.
3. How old are the people who generally play video games in the arabic world?
4. What kind of games do they play?(genre, what do they prefer in their games)
5. What kind of hardware do they use?(PC, consoles, mobilephones)
6. Are there any kind of Arabian based game development companies or games made first and foremost for Arabic people?

The reason why I'm asking these questions is because video games are generally made for the western or asian consumers and it sounds strange why Arabic consumers don't seem to have their own breed of games. What are the reasons to this? Are the regional dialects so different after all?

Thanks in advance.
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
north_malaysian
01-02-2010, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by Keinonen
Hello everyone. Just popped in to ask a few questions regarding the topic above. If anyone with some knoweledge about video game scene in the Arabic world would bother answering, I'd appreciate it greatly.

1. Are video games an "accepted" form of media in Arabic culture? By this I mean is it ok for a grown up(majority of gamers in the west are middle aged) to play video games or is it regarded as "kid's play"?
2. Do people play lot of video games in Arabic world? By "Arabic world" I mean people in Northern Africa and Middle-East because, correct me if I'm wrong, I understand language is quite similar in these muslim countries.
3. How old are the people who generally play video games in the arabic world?
4. What kind of games do they play?(genre, what do they prefer in their games)
5. What kind of hardware do they use?(PC, consoles, mobilephones)
6. Are there any kind of Arabian based game development companies or games made first and foremost for Arabic people?

The reason why I'm asking these questions is because video games are generally made for the western or asian consumers and it sounds strange why Arabic consumers don't seem to have their own breed of games. What are the reasons to this? Are the regional dialects so different after all?

Thanks in advance.
well.. i am not an Arab and dont live in the Arab world... but i knew lots of Arabs playing those game applications on facebook..
Reply

GuestFellow
01-02-2010, 09:12 PM
I know Iran has its own computer gaming stuff....though they're Persian not Arab.
Reply

north_malaysian
01-02-2010, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by Guestfellow
I know Iran has its own computer gaming stuff....though they're Persian not Arab.
they do? interesting... i wonder how their computer games look like... it must be educational kind of games..
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
GuestFellow
01-02-2010, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by north_malaysian
they do? interesting... i wonder how their computer games look like... it must be educational kind of games..
You would be surprised...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8213272.stm
Reply

north_malaysian
01-02-2010, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by Guestfellow
You would be surprised...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8213272.stm
wow!! they have difficulties finding market abroad? they should come to "video games-crazy Muslim majority" countries like Malaysia and Indonesia
Reply

GuestFellow
01-02-2010, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by north_malaysian
wow!! they have difficulties finding market abroad? they should come to "video games-crazy Muslim majority" countries like Malaysia and Indonesia
I hope Iran does well...I want to play that game where two Iranian scientists get captured by the West. Sounds hilarious. Love to see Israel reaction to that.
Reply

north_malaysian
01-02-2010, 10:02 PM
Originally Posted by Guestfellow
I hope Iran does well...I want to play that game where two Iranian scientists get captured by the West. Sounds hilarious. Love to see Israel reaction to that.
indeed... i wonder if they have something like simcity
Reply

CosmicPathos
01-02-2010, 11:23 PM
I can speak from my experiences in Saudi Arabia. The youngsters have huge craze of video games. Soccer, car racing, adventure etc, you name it. But I do not think it is a trend among middle aged men/women to play video games there. Ive noticed as men age, they loose interest in video games generally. I remember being a hardcore gamer in high school days but now I loose interest after playing a certain game for few days. Not all are like that. But most of my friends have given up playing games religiously.

In regards to consoles, I think in Saudi, PS3 outdoes any PC gaming. There are indeed pc gamers out there but play station is more famous. Genre of games include fighting (Tekken series was super popular), car racing (driver, need for speed series), action/adventure (grand theft auto 3 was an instant success), sports (Soccer, Soccer, Soccer) .....

These are not made solely for Arabian market. I hope I answered some of your questions.
Reply

Supreme
01-03-2010, 12:35 AM
Those Iranian games sound super. Iran has always been one of the most fascinating cultures in my eyes, and the game with Persian mythology and the tank shooter during the Iran-Iraq war. They'd be brilliant.
Reply

Italianguy
01-03-2010, 06:37 AM
A freind of mine that used to be in the navy, brought a copy of the game "Grand Theft Auto" This is not a game for children or adults for that matter. But it was in Arabic and the music was more Arab sounding, very different:p
Reply

ardianto
01-03-2010, 08:39 AM
Originally Posted by Italianguy
A freind of mine that used to be in the navy, brought a copy of the game "Grand Theft Auto" This is not a game for children or adults for that matter. But it was in Arabic and the music was more Arab sounding, very different:p
Arabic GTA ?. That's interesting.

There are many versions of GTA, but I forbid my sons play GTA because it teach violence and law breaking to children.
Reply

ardianto
01-03-2010, 08:45 AM
What is Saudi parent's comment about video games ?.
I see in video games there are many images of 'immodest dressed women'.
Reply

Italianguy
01-03-2010, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by ardianto
Arabic GTA ?. That's interesting.

There are many versions of GTA, but I forbid my sons play GTA because it teach violence and law breaking to children.
I agree, I don'y play any video games myself, we were not aloowed to play them as kids(my grandmother says they were from the devil:raging:) well..she said that about everything electronic.....and cars?;D

I only allow my son to play the wii, and only for 1 hour every other day. He can only play educational and sports games, but i did get him Lego Star Wars and Lego Batman:D

God bless friend!
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 35
    Last Post: 01-13-2016, 09:02 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-20-2015, 04:21 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-23-2011, 07:42 PM
  4. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-17-2010, 12:40 PM
  5. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-21-2008, 10:15 PM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!