/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Opening of Burj Dubai tomorrow, 4th January 2010

Danah
01-03-2010, 06:07 PM
The long-awaiting opening of Burj Dubai finally comes, one more day, tomorrow, 4th January 2010 will be the official opening of the skyscraper, the world tallest building and even the world tallest man made structure. The date is chosen, as the same date of the four anniversary of Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al Maktoum becoming the ruler of Dubai, the day that is dear to hearts of everyone, as mentioned by Emaar chairman, Mohammed Alabar. The tower is designed by skyscraper-pro architect, Adrian Smith.

Picture 1: Overall look of the building, Burj Dubai.

The opening ceremony will be organized as a grand ceremony, to mark the opening of the tower, the landmark and masterpiece of Dubai. The current height of the building is 824.55m to be exact, and it can be raised, so that other future buildings will never grab the world tallest title from this tower easily. The construction of such a tall building, in such a condition (high wind, dust, on a desert) is really an engineering breakthrough. The architecture is marvelous too, based on the design of Arabic flower. Burj in Arabic means tower.

Picture 2: View from the top of pinnacle of Burj Dubai, looking down.
Details of the opening ceremony:
Time: 21.00 United Arab Emirates time (17.00 GMT)
Date: 4th January 2010 (Monday)
Events: Fireworks, light shows, and new song for the Dubai Fountain, world tallest fountain.

Picture 3: Fireworks installed on the tower.

The first phase will be opened by tomorrow, and the commercial area in the building will be opened for business. Some areas are not completed yet, on the interior works. Landscaping works have been completed around the tower and Burj Island, and fireworks have been installed on the tower. The fireworks used will be the first of its kind…how does it looks like for a building with such a great height with fireworks blowing out in creative styles…it will be very amazing!

Picture 4: The light show (rehearsal) of the Burj Dubai.

Tomorrow, is the big day, for Dubai, for United Arab Emirates, and for the whole world too, especially to the fans of skyscrapers. This building isn’t skyscraper, it’s a superscraper, first in the world, exceeding 800m in height and can be seen 100km away. It is not only a building, it is an icon, a symbol of human achievement!
I will be gathering information and writing a post, on the opening ceremony, after the event, probably on the next post, with all fantastic pictures to be expected. The information and pictures from this post is mainly obtained from this informative website,www.burjdubaiskyscraper.com

source

To be honest, I am not that excited about it.....Lets see how it will look like tomorrow. They said that the difference in the time of sunset (Adhan Maghrib) at Ramadan for those who fast from the very top of the tower to the ground floor is one minute!!!
Local newspaper are very excited about this event.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Pygoscelis
01-03-2010, 09:11 PM
Coming from Toronto, it reminds me of the CN Tower. Never saw the point of that, and don't see the point of this.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
01-03-2010, 09:16 PM
:sl:

"...you will see the barefooted ones, the naked, the destitute, the herdsmen of the sheep (competing with each other) in raising lofty buildings."

:ermm:

Danah
01-03-2010, 09:30 PM
^ exactly!! One of the signs of the day of judgment. They are going too far we must admit that. May Allah protect this country and it's people.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
noorseeker
01-03-2010, 09:33 PM
Only Allah swt can give the intelligence to man to even build this kind of building.

It does look nice , i must admit. i dont wana dubai bash.

Italianguy
01-04-2010, 12:13 AM
It looks beautiful.

My wifes uncle is in Dubai, he is an architect on a lot of the big projects there so we get emails with pics of these buildings being built all the time.:D

aadil77
01-04-2010, 12:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muraad

"...you will see the barefooted ones, the naked, the destitute, the herdsmen of the sheep (competing with each other) in raising lofty buildings."

:ermm:
SubhAllah you can't get more clearer signs than this

this building will be a joke when abu dhabi finish there 'mile high' building which will be twice the length of this

crayon
01-04-2010, 06:56 PM
I don't get the appeal of tall buildings in general. The fireworks & dancing fountains were beautiful, though, and I don't even usually like fireworks.

Oh, and it's Burj *Khalifa... :><:

Alpha Dude
01-04-2010, 06:59 PM
I think I'd initially feel nervous for a while if I had to go into that building. It seems too big and unstable, as though it might collapse at any moment. :hmm:

Chuck
01-04-2010, 07:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
SubhAllah you can't get more clearer signs than this

this building will be a joke when abu dhabi finish there 'mile high' building which will be twice the length of this
Abu Dhabi is not building mile high building, it is Saudia. But that project has been put on the back burner.

Khaldun
01-04-2010, 07:02 PM

Have you seen the sculptures Thamuud made into the solid rock? Did you see the awesome city Iraam of the 'Aad? Or how breath taking the Pyramids of Pharaoh were upon completion?

The point is that all this is a waste of money and time, yet we have people dying out of hunger and thirst.

By Allah! We will be asked about this on the day of Judgement.

جوري
01-04-2010, 07:12 PM
I wonder why dubai doesn't invest this money educating their young with the highest level possible (war is upon us) and all you can own is a good level head or actual money in the bank, not brothels for westerners in our homes?

Sob7an Allah.. this money doesn't belong to a royal family or governing bodies.. this money is intended for Muslim people.. so why do we have children looking in the garbage for food in Gaza while American whor s are enjoying Muslim wealth..

what a waste:

[Pickthal 8:25] And guard yourselves against a chastisement which cannot fall exclusively on those of you who are wrong-doers, and know that Allah is severe in punishment.

very disappointed with the Arab world, and the rest especially Brunei.. that sultan must be satan's pawn..what a shame imsad

Chuck
01-04-2010, 07:13 PM
Well it was a waste of money for people who were not wise and were spend thrift. But it has bring good business to Dubai. Dubai is$100billion GDP, without any oil money. Which other ME city has that much GDP without oil? And city is safe and clean.

AabiruSabeel
01-04-2010, 07:13 PM

I had once posted this in another thread, reposting it here:

All this reminds me of:
وكلُّ دار وإن طالت سلامتها
يوماً ستدركها النكباء والحوب

And every house, despite how long it remains intact
shall one day face ruin and desertion
These couplets were said by Utba bin Rabee'ah. Read the following:

The Hijrah of Hadhrat Abd bin Jahash (RA)

Hadhrat Abdullaah bin Abbaas (RA) narrates that Hadhrat Abd bin Jahash (RA) (brother of Hadhrat Abdullah bin Jahash (RA)) was the last person to migrate to Madinah and had become blind. When he resolved to migrate, his wife who was the daughter of Abu Sufyaan bin Harb bin Umayyah disliked it. She advised him to rather migrate to someone else other than Rasulullaah (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam). (Disregarding her advice) He took his family and wealth and secretly left the Quraysh and came to Rasulullaah (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) to Madinah. (His brother-in-law) Abu Sufyan (became very angry and) immediately sold his house in Makkah. Afterwards leather was kept in the house to cure (causing it to stink). When Abu Jahal bin Hishaam, Utba bin Rabee'ah, Shaybah bin Rabee'ah, Abbaas bin Abdil Muttalib and Huwaytib bin Abdil Uzza passed by the house, Utba's eyes flowed with tears as he recited the following couplets:
وكلُّ دار وإن طالت سلامتها
يوماً ستدركها النكباء والحوب
"Despite how long it remains intact, every house
shall one day face ruin and desertion"

Abu Jahal then turned to Hadhrat Abbaas (RA) and said, "You people (the family of Rasulullaah (SAwS)) have caused these problems for us." When Rasulullaah (SAwS) conquered Makkah and entered, Hadhrat Abu Ahmad (Abd bin Jahash) stood up to ask for his house. On the instruction of Rasulullaah (SAwS), Hadhrat Uthmaan (RA) stood up and took Abu Ahmad (RA) aside. (After speaking to him) Hadhrat Abu Ahmad stopped asking for his house.

Hadhrat Abdullaah bin Abbaas (RA) says that as Rasulullaah (SAwS) was sitting with his body taking support on one hand, Hadhrat Abu Ahmad (RA) recited the following couplets:
حبذا مكة من وادي
بها أمشي بلا هادي
بها يكثر عُوَّادي
بها تركز أوتادي
"How beloved a valley is Makkah
where I can walk without a guide
It is there (in Makkah) that my visitors are many
And it is there where my pegs are securely fixed"
[Tabarani and Ibn Ishaaq, as quoted in Al Bidayah wan Nihayah]

Copied from the book Hayatus Sahabah, Vol. 1
:w:

Chuck
01-04-2010, 07:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
I wonder why dubai doesn't invest this money educating their young with the highest level possible (war is upon us) and all you can own is a good level head or actual money in the bank, not brothels for westerners in our homes?

Sob7an Allah.. this money doesn't belong to a royal family or governing bodies.. this money is intended for Muslim people.. so why do we have children looking in the garbage for food in Gaza while American whor s are enjoying Muslim wealth..

what a waste:

[Pickthal 8:25] And guard yourselves against a chastisement which cannot fall exclusively on those of you who are wrong-doers, and know that Allah is severe in punishment.

very disappointed with the Arab world, and the rest especially Brunei.. that sultan must be satan's pawn..what a shame imsad
They do. Watch this, there is no documentary just this basic highlight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPsz-...eature=related

But Dubai Cares has do some much in Africa, but media never shows this.

Beardo
01-04-2010, 07:18 PM
So I suppose Dubai's major debt crisis etc does not affect their constant expenditure. Honestly, I find this simply ridiculous. And second what Muraad said above. imsad

Danah
01-04-2010, 08:37 PM
^ no, it seems that it didnt affect them, two big events in 4 months....the opening of Metro Dubai, and now the highest towers. They know how to deal with such issue very well.

format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
I don't get the appeal of tall buildings in general. The fireworks & dancing fountains were beautiful, though, and I don't even usually like fireworks.

Oh, and it's Burj *Khalifa... :><:
the fireworks show was awesome!!

the name of the Burj was changed today when Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid start the ceremony. As he said, the new name itself was a surprise to people. It was named after the name of the UAE president Sheikh Khalifa Bin Zayed.

I think people will take some time to get used to the new name.

But seriously, I see them going to far on this thing

Chuck
01-04-2010, 08:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
So I suppose Dubai's major debt crisis etc does not affect their constant expenditure. Honestly, I find this simply ridiculous. And second what Muraad said above. imsad
There debt is not much, 1:1 debt to GDP is reasonable, but they do need to improve the economy.

Danah
01-04-2010, 08:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Chuck
They do. Watch this, there is no documentary just this basic highlight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPsz-...eature=related

Oh yeah I remembered the first time that was started, when they finished collecting donations, they asked Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashed why he didn't give any money to the campaign yet, and he said that he was waiting till the end of it so he will give the same number the whole campaign collect. And he did, I dont remember the exact number but it was more than 50 Millions Dirhams.

So Alhumdulilah, they are doing a good job too on that, but still what happened with Burj Dubai today is so much exaggeration.

Cabdullahi
01-04-2010, 08:59 PM
i pay tribute to the Indians,Afghans,Bengali's and Pakistani's who worked day and night in the heat to build it with their bare blister-full hands despite the maltreatment by their employers

★мαячαн★
01-04-2010, 09:19 PM
wooww.. thats oneee building and a half :D
well inshallah it won't callopse anytimee soon !

heheee

Chuck
01-04-2010, 10:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Danah
Oh yeah I remembered the first time that was started, when they finished collecting donations, they asked Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashed why he didn't give any money to the campaign yet, and he said that he was waiting till the end of it so he will give the same number the whole campaign collect. And he did, I dont remember the exact number but it was more than 50 Millions Dirhams.

So Alhumdulilah, they are doing a good job too on that, but still what happened with Burj Dubai today is so much exaggeration.
It was 1.7 billion dirhams http://www.arabianbusiness.com/50476...by-dubai-cares

Pygoscelis
01-04-2010, 11:56 PM
I dunno if I'm allowed to say this here, so I'll understand if the mods delete this post.

But I see this as essentially a phallic symbol; a display of wealth and power. There is no need to build upwards in this city, there is plenty of land on which to build outwards. This isn't Japan (or Vancouver).

Every time somebody flushes a toilet, they have to pump water half a mile into the sky.

The top levels are so small that they are essentially only of any use for storage, and who wants a storage centre so remote and hard to access?

Raaina
01-05-2010, 12:02 AM
It's beautiful - Next holiday: Dubai!

Chuck
01-05-2010, 02:39 AM
Fireworks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZhFs...ayer_embedded#

north_malaysian
01-05-2010, 06:54 AM
By now, our Petronas Twin Towers look like dwarves... lol

Congrats Dubai!!

Snowflake
01-05-2010, 07:03 AM
Just sad.. Agree with bro Muraad

I can't help feeling it's only a matter of time before Dubai comes crumbling down.

Rafeeq
01-05-2010, 07:37 AM
Agreeing with bro Muraad, just in addition, these tall buildings are part of Dubai trading and economic growth and to flourish tourism to this states, which in turn, brings world's money to their country.

Apart from what is already discussed above, Dubai today is the vision of Sheikh Rashid Bin Al-Maktoom who dreamt this city and built it in the less time then he planned.

Ummu Sufyaan
01-05-2010, 07:42 AM
(tall) buildings are ugly and take away the natural appeal of a landscape.

north_malaysian
01-05-2010, 08:00 AM
the highest mosque in the world is located on the 158th floor of Burj Khalifa

Mr.President
01-05-2010, 08:48 AM
Volume 1, Book 2, Number 47:
Narrated Abu Huraira:

One day while the Prophet was sitting in the company of some people, (The angel) Gabriel came and asked, "What is faith?" Allah's Apostle replied, 'Faith is to believe in Allah, His angels, (the) meeting with Him, His Apostles, and to believe in Resurrection." Then he further asked, "What is Islam?" Allah's Apostle replied, "To worship Allah Alone and none else, to offer prayers perfectly to pay the compulsory charity (Zakat) and to observe fasts during the month of Ramadan." Then he further asked, "What is Ihsan (perfection)?" Allah's Apostle replied, "To worship Allah as if you see Him, and if you cannot achieve this state of devotion then you must consider that He is looking at you." Then he further asked, "When will the Hour be established?" Allah's Apostle replied, "The answerer has no better knowledge than the questioner. But I will inform you about its portents.

1. When a slave (lady) gives birth to her master.

2. When the shepherds of black camels start boasting and competing with others in the construction of higher buildings. And the Hour is one of five things which nobody knows except Allah.

The Prophet then recited: "Verily, with Allah (Alone) is the knowledge of the Hour--." (31. 34) Then that man (Gabriel) left and the Prophet asked his companions to call him back, but they could not see him. Then the Prophet said, "That was Gabriel who came to teach the people their religion." Abu 'Abdullah said: He (the Prophet) considered all that as a part of faith.

Alpha Dude
01-05-2010, 10:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
I dunno if I'm allowed to say this here, so I'll understand if the mods delete this post.

But I see this as essentially a phallic symbol; a display of wealth and power. There is no need to build upwards in this city, there is plenty of land on which to build outwards. This isn't Japan (or Vancouver).

Every time somebody flushes a toilet, they have to pump water half a mile into the sky.

The top levels are so small that they are essentially only of any use for storage, and who wants a storage centre so remote and hard to access?
I agree. Quite an arrogant thing to do.

IbnAbdulHakim
01-05-2010, 10:31 AM
i guess its ok to have one huge building like that but too many looming shadows will just destroy a cities appeal.

i hate looming shadows !!!!!!!!!!!

and i agree with pygo

Mr.President
01-05-2010, 12:00 PM

yea I also agree with Chuck that many arabs are helping poor gaza people
but most of us don't know !!! we only look at the black dot in a white paper but there is more white than black !!!

Chuck
01-05-2010, 03:05 PM
Btw, there was a typo I meant "so much in Africa"

Danah
01-05-2010, 09:36 PM

The fireworks were the most thing I liked in this whole thing! thanks for sharing.

The strange thing is the Emmar "the company who built the tower" is supposed to have their shares in the financial market raised up today after yesterday event, but unfortunately it was not!

Supreme
01-05-2010, 10:22 PM
What a spectecular building this is. It certainly puts Canary Whalf into perspective! You can even see Iran from its top.

KAding
01-05-2010, 10:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
But I see this as essentially a phallic symbol; a display of wealth and power.
If in the long-run the whole enterprise turns out to be profitable, I really don't see the problem?

You cannot build an economy based on handouts, you need to invest in something. And a structure that catches the eye and attracts attention of tourists and/or foreign investors is probably a good thing.

So as long as it makes economic sense, whether it is a display of wealth and power is of secondary importance. I don't think it makes sense to compare this with, say, the pyramids or some of the marble palaces build by despots such as Saddam.

crayon
01-09-2010, 04:54 PM
Unrelated to Burj Dubai, but still interesting:

The Doha Debates- This house believes Dubai is a bad idea

ardianto
01-22-2010, 03:54 AM

The French Spiderman - Alain Robert.

He will climb Burj Dubai, soon.

CosmicPathos
01-22-2010, 04:04 AM
psygocells is speaking from a feminist perspective. Any extremist feminist considers tall buildings phallus shaped and a mark of male chauvinism. I came to realize that after I read the views of couple of known feminists on the internet. Seems they did not know that physics necessitates that the skyscrapers be "phallus shaped" for them to survive. They certainly cannot be shaped like breasts? Could they?

Regarding the nature of building this skyscraper, I despise it. I abhor it. I abhor the fireworks they did. I did not for a minute find them "beautiful." It was a silly thing. Display of ostentatiousness and ceremony. A toil of the worldly-minded.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.