PDA

View Full Version : Try to answer this question.....Heaven or hell?



Italianguy
01-05-2010, 02:00 AM
Answer this if you can. This is a question of logic. I did not come up with the question but enjoyed trying to answer it.

PLEASE, if you have already seen this or been asked and know the correct answer do not post it yet. Let us give everyone a fair chance to try to answer it.

Also, please DO NOT Google it for the answer. If you want to, that is up to you, but do not post it. Have fun with this and try to answer it according to what you think is the right answer.

There can be multiple answers, so many of you may be right, but there is only one really logical answer that is the simplest.

Here is the question:

There are two identical doors, each guarded by identical angels. The door to Heaven is guarded by an angel of God who, when asked a question about the door, will always tell the truth. The door to Hell is guarded by an angel of Satan who, when asked a question about the door, will always lie.

You may ask each angel the one identical question about their door, to determine which door is the door to Heaven.

What question would you ask? Remember: God will always tell the truth, Satan will always lie.


Post your answers, I can help a little bit but I will not answer, or say anything until someone is close or has the answer. This is a good one to ask neighbors or family.

God bless.


PLEASE REMEMBER you can only ask each one....the same question(One question for both).....about their doors, the doors only.To determine which one is right.

you can't ask any questions, only about their doors. It's a logic question too, it doesn't have to compete with different faiths veiws.
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ardianto
01-05-2010, 03:50 PM
Ask one guard "If I ask another guard, which the door to hell, what is his answer ?".

Sure, this guard must be show you the door to heaven. :statisfie
Reply

tango92
01-05-2010, 03:57 PM
got it
ask both of them are you god? woever says im not god is the angel of heaven

lol or just ask them whats 1+1.

angel of heaven says 2
angel of hell says anything but 2
Reply

Getoffmyback
01-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Hmmm. . . Its not possible to know? Because any question will be negated by one or the other? Did i hit the jackpot?
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
Rabi'ya
01-05-2010, 04:20 PM
:sl:

I would ask them "Who is the Lord of the all the worlds?"
Reply

Abdul Fattah
01-05-2010, 04:36 PM
I've already heard this one, although slightly different, with twins on a forked road, rather then angels and heaven and hell. This version with angels however, isn't as good. If each guardian is appointed to a certain door, (ie, the lier to hell and the thruthfull to heaven) then any question which allows you to determine which guardian tells the truth is sufficient. You simply take the door guarded by the one telling the truth. In the twin variant, both twins are merely there at the crossroad, but it isn't like each one of them represents a certain road. So merely deducing from your one question which one of the two is truthfull still doesn't help you pick a road.

Oh also, for the sake of information. Satan doesn't have any angels under his command. All angels always follow the command of God, and have no free will. Satan can only corrupt humans and other djinns. The only two creatures in creation that have free will.

Here's another one: In my calendar there's 12 months. Some months have 30 days and some have 31 days, but how many months have 28 days?
Reply

tango92
01-05-2010, 06:15 PM
^^ sneaky. none have 28 days because in your calender the months can only be 30 or 31 days
Reply

glo
01-05-2010, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by Abdul Fattah
Here's another one: In my calendar there's 12 months. Some months have 30 days and some have 31 days, but how many months have 28 days?
All 12 months have 28 days - except most have a few extra days in addition to the 28.
Reply

Rabi'ya
01-05-2010, 06:31 PM
hmmm, you just beat me to it glo :)
Reply

glo
01-05-2010, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by ~SilverOrchid~
hmmm, you just beat me to it glo :)
Better luck next time, Orchid. :)

Are you snowed in?

Originally Posted by Italianguy
Here is the question:

There are two identical doors, each guarded by identical angels. The door to Heaven is guarded by an angel of God who, when asked a question about the door, will always tell the truth. The door to Hell is guarded by an angel of Satan who, when asked a question about the door, will always lie.

You may ask each angel the one identical question to determine which door is the door to Heaven.

What question would you ask? Remember: God will always tell the truth, Satan will always lie.
As far as I can tell the question hasn't been answered yet.
I knew this once, but I am not sure I can still get it together.

Here goes:

Ask either of the two angels "What would the other angel say if I asked him where your door leads?"

1. If it is Satan's angel guarding Hell, then what he says will be a lie. He would answer: "The other angel would say that my door leads to Heaven" - but his door would in fact lead to Hell.

2. If it is God's angel guarding Heaven, then he would truthfully tell the lie the other angel would tell. His answer would be: "The other angel would say that my door leads to Hell" - but his door would really lead to Heaven.

So just go with the opposite of what the angel answers.

I know, I know, I confused myself now too ... :p
Reply

IbnAbdulHakim
01-05-2010, 09:36 PM
thinking 12 characters

Originally Posted by ~SilverOrchid~
:sl:

I would ask them "Who is the Lord of the all the worlds?"
lol we have a winner
Reply

Italianguy
01-05-2010, 11:12 PM
Originally Posted by ardianto
Ask one guard "If I ask another guard, which the door to hell, what is his answer ?".

Sure, this guard must be show you the door to heaven. :statisfie
ummmm....closest so far

Originally Posted by tango92
got it
ask both of them are you god? woever says im not god is the angel of heaven

lol or just ask them whats 1+1.

angel of heaven says 2
angel of hell says anything but 2
If you ask the angel of heaven if he is god He will say no. The bad angel will say the same. Keep in mind the bad angel will always lie, not just say the opposite.

but good try.

Originally Posted by Getoffmyback
Hmmm. . . Its not possible to know? Because any question will be negated by one or the other? Did i hit the jackpot?
No sorry, there is actually lots of different answers, in which noone has got one yet, BUt i am looking for one answer only. I actually posted this on another Islamic forum and one Muslim got it within 30 minutes spot on! He has been the only one out of 14 forums so far. He sent me a private message, and promised he haden't heard it before.

Originally Posted by Abdul Fattah
I've already heard this one, although slightly different, with twins on a forked road, rather then angels and heaven and hell. This version with angels however, isn't as good. If each guardian is appointed to a certain door, (ie, the lier to hell and the thruthfull to heaven) then any question which allows you to determine which guardian tells the truth is sufficient. You simply take the door guarded by the one telling the truth. In the twin variant, both twins are merely there at the crossroad, but it isn't like each one of them represents a certain road. So merely deducing from your one question which one of the two is truthfull still doesn't help you pick a road.

Oh also, for the sake of information. Satan doesn't have any angels under his command. All angels always follow the command of God, and have no free will. Satan can only corrupt humans and other djinns. The only two creatures in creation that have free will.

Here's another one: In my calendar there's 12 months. Some months have 30 days and some have 31 days, but how many months have 28 days?

Can you send me that logic question you speak of? Thanks

Oh yeah ....there are 28 days in every month all 12.
Reply

Italianguy
01-05-2010, 11:25 PM
Originally Posted by tango92
^^ sneaky. none have 28 days because in your calender the months can only be 30 or 31 days
lol,;D read it one more time slowly...every month has at the least...28 days.lol

that is a good one though.
Reply

Italianguy
01-05-2010, 11:29 PM
I dont know what just happened here?
Reply

Italianguy
01-05-2010, 11:31 PM
[QUOTE=Italianguy;1271160]
Originally Posted by glo
As far as I can tell the question hasn't been answered yet.
I knew this once, but I am not sure I can still get it together.

Here goes:

Ask either of the two angels "What would the other angel say if I asked him where your door leads?"

1. If it is Satan's angel guarding Hell, then what he says will be a lie. He would answer: "The other angel would say that my door leads to Heaven" - but his door would in fact lead to Hell.

2. If it is God's angel guarding Heaven, then he would truthfully tell the lie the other angel would tell. His answer would be: "The other angel would say that my door leads to Hell" - but his door would really lead to Heaven.

So just go with the opposite of what the angel answers.

I know, I know, I confused myself now too ... :p
You are the closest i have ever seen! But......you started off right, and then....
Reply

Italianguy
01-05-2010, 11:33 PM
Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
lol we have a winner
That one wouldn't work, they would both say they weren't, thus not idenifying the right door.
Reply

Dagless
01-05-2010, 11:37 PM
Originally Posted by tango92
got it
ask both of them are you god? woever says im not god is the angel of heaven

lol or just ask them whats 1+1.

angel of heaven says 2
angel of hell says anything but 2
This has to be the best answer because its the simplest. Asking the one angel if the other would say his is the door to heaven is ok too... but why be so complex when you can ask a question with a definite truth, ie. what is 1+1. The bad one HAS to lie and so will never say 2.
Reply

Italianguy
01-05-2010, 11:44 PM
Originally Posted by Ferown
This has to be the best answer because its the simplest. Asking the one angel if the other would say his is the door to heaven is ok too... but why be so complex when you can ask a question with a definite truth, ie. what is 1+1. The bad one HAS to lie and so will never say 2.
Please read the logic question again, you can only ask a question about the Door. Anyone can come up with an amswer in that way. Good luck.
Reply

Dagless
01-05-2010, 11:45 PM
Originally Posted by Italianguy
Please read the logic question again, you can only ask a question about the Door. Anyone can come up with an amswer in that way. Good luck.
In that case ask "Is this a door?" or "Is this a black door?", etc. Something which can easily be verified.
Reply

cat eyes
01-06-2010, 12:51 AM
if they are angels of god then there not going to lie cos angels were not created that way at all but humans were born with two intellects to do good and to do bad. angels follow the commands of god and they do not disobey him
Reply

Italianguy
01-06-2010, 01:44 AM
Originally Posted by cat eyes
if they are angels of god then there not going to lie cos angels were not created that way at all but humans were born with two intellects to do good and to do bad. angels follow the commands of god and they do not disobey him
well, one is an angel of God, one is not. The angel of God will always tell the truth, the latter will always lie.
Reply

- IqRa -
01-06-2010, 01:13 PM
PM me when someone has the answer, my brain hurts.
Reply

IbnAbdulHakim
01-06-2010, 01:25 PM
*just dont know*
Reply

glo
01-06-2010, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
Question: Who is the lord of the worlds

Angel of God: GOD

Devil: Me ! (or something to that affect).




?
But the devil would lie - therefore his answer would also be GOD!

So if you ask that question, both answers will be the same. The angel of God will say GOD because it is true, the devil because he is a liar!
Either way, you still wouldn't know who is who, and which door is the right one ...
Reply

Abdul Fattah
01-06-2010, 11:47 PM
Italianguy,
I think you didn't understand my post. The original riddle goes:
You're at a forked road, and don't know which road to take. There's two twinbrothers there , both know the directions you need, however you know that one of the identical twins always lies, while the other always tells the truth. you can't tell them apart and you only get one question.
In this version, the answer is to merely ask: "What road would your brother send me on if I asked him for directions?" Both twins will answer the opposite road to the one you're supposed to take.

The difference with this riddle? Since we are told that the angel who guards the door to heaven always tells the truth, and we are told that the angel who guards hell always lies, we can just ask any question. Any question that you already know the answer to will suffice. If you know the answer already, then by comparing their responses to the actual answer you can determine which on lies. Once we determined trough our question which of the two is the liar, then we know that the door that this liar is guarding, is the door to hell.

On another note, both Ardantio and Glo's answers were correct. why did you say they were close, but not right? Their answers totally work, even without the loophole I've just shown.

Glo, I guess what you mean is, if you're telling the truth, but think you are lying, you're still lying. So if the devil thinks he's lord, and wants to lie he'd say that God is lord instead. Although in fairness he could also lie by saying that yet somebody else is lord.
Reply

Italianguy
01-07-2010, 12:02 AM
Originally Posted by Abdul Fattah
Italianguy,
I think you didn't understand my post. The original riddle goes:
You're at a forked road, and don't know which road to take. There's two twinbrothers there , both know the directions you need, however you know that one of the identical twins always lies, while the other always tells the truth. you can't tell them apart and you only get one question.
In this version, the answer is to merely ask: "What road would your brother send me on if I asked him for directions?" Both twins will answer the opposite road to the one you're supposed to take.

The difference with this riddle? Since we are told that the angel who guards the door to heaven always tells the truth, and we are told that the angel who guards hell always lies, we can just ask any question. Any question that you already know the answer to will suffice. If you know the answer already, then by comparing their responses to the actual answer you can determine which on lies. Once we determined trough our question which of the two is the liar, then we know that the door that this liar is guarding, is the door to hell.

On another note, both Ardantio and Glo's answers were correct. why did you say they were close, but not right? Their answers totally work, even without the loophole I've just shown.

Glo, I guess what you mean is, if you're telling the truth, but think you are lying, you're still lying. So if the devil thinks he's lord, and wants to lie he'd say that God is lord instead. Although in fairness he could also lie by saying that yet somebody else is lord.
Try reading again, you cannot just ask any question, There are millions of questions you could ask if that were the case. but it is alomost identical to yours. Sorry brother i didn't see your reply on that.:p

In any question like this, a question of 1+1 doesn't answer the question the bad angel will always lie, not just simply say the opposite. Plus you aren't allowed to ask that question it has to pertane to the doorways.
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-22-2012, 08:11 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-18-2012, 09:16 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-23-2008, 04:10 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-09-2007, 12:45 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-01-2007, 06:24 PM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!