/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Tajweed and the dialects of the Quran

Ummu Sufyaan
01-06-2010, 02:15 AM
:sl:
what is the relationship of Tajweed with the dialects of the Quran? i mean, is each dialect governed with its own set of tajweed rules or do the same rules of tajweed apply to all the dialects?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
islamlover_girl
01-07-2010, 10:21 AM
each one have its own rules,for example in (hafs an asem حفص عن عاصم) you read the word أمنت without mad at the beginning while in (warsh an nafe`ورش عن نافع) you do mad,also in warsh you don`t pronounce hamza at the middle of the word likeيؤمن word while in hafs you pronounce it, and many other differents ,you have to choose on qiraa and learn it very well first.

Al-Hanbali
02-09-2010, 12:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm ul-Shaheed
what is the relationship of Tajweed with the dialects of the Quran? i mean, is each dialect governed with its own set of tajweed rules or do the same rules of tajweed apply to all the dialects?
Wa 'alaykis-Salaam,

I believe Yasir Qadhi has a section on this in his book on 'Uloom al-Qur'aan. As far as I remember, he states that the relationship between the two actually depend on the definitions; he states there are three opinions among the scholars:

1) All the qiraa'aat are based upon one harf, since the other six ahruf were eliminated in the preservation of the 'Uthmaani mushaf.

2) Each qiraa'ah represents various ahruf.

3) The qiraa'aat represent the seven ahruf, but not in totality.
WaAllaahu A'lam.

CosmicPathos
02-09-2010, 12:21 AM
Dialects have nothing to do with recitation. Its a misconception. Quran was revealed in 7 Arabic dialects. All dialects are extinct except that of Qureshi dialect which today the whole world recites. Recitations are a different thing altogether.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
02-09-2010, 12:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Wa7abiScientist
Dialects have nothing to do with recitation. Its a misconception. Quran was revealed in 7 Arabic dialects. All dialects are extinct except that of Qureshi dialect which today the whole world recites. Recitations are a different thing altogether.

I agree.

I think where the confusion is the different scripts used. It is simply in a difference of how the letters are written but each letter is still pronounced the same.

The script is not a dialect and has no bearing on the pronunciation.

islamlover_girl
02-09-2010, 01:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
I agree.

I think where the confusion is the different scripts used. It is simply in a difference of how the letters are written but each letter is still pronounced the same.

The script is not a dialect and has no bearing on the pronunciation.
I am Sorry uncle Woodrow for saying diffrent thing than what you said,but there is 10 (Qira`at قراءات ) which are The Mutawatir are:

Nafi'

Ibn Kathir

Abu 'Amr ibn al-'Ala'

Ibn 'Amir

'Asim

Hamza

al-Kisa'i

The Mashhur:

Abu Ja'far

Ya'qub

Khalaf
They aren`t pronounced in the same way as they have diffrent rules of Tajweed ,of cource all of them are right ,when any one learn tajweed he learn it on one of these ten qira`at for example me and most egyptians use one named Hafs but alhamdolilah I know some about other Qira`at as I study Quran in an Islamic institute ,when someone memorize the holy and get Egaza he must take it at one of those ten Qira`a which mean he memorize the holy Quran and recite it in the way of that Qira`a
you can read more about Qira`at here
http://www.iiu.edu.my/deed/articles/qiraat.html

islamlover_girl
02-09-2010, 01:56 AM
Here is surat Al ekhlas in the ten Qiraat for mashary Rashed,I hopeit will help in shaa Allah to get the diffrence between them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmfWw...ayer_embedded#

Ibn Abi Ahmed
02-09-2010, 02:00 AM

The relevant chapters from Sh. Yasir Qadhi's book on Uloom al Qur'aan on the Ahruf and Qira'aat which deals with everything in great detail:

http://www.bismikaallahuma.org/archi...of-the-quraan/
http://www.bismikaallahuma.org/archi...-of-the-quran/

CosmicPathos
02-09-2010, 02:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamlover_girl
Here is surat Al ekhlas in the ten Qiraat for mashary Rashed,I hopeit will help in shaa Allah to get the diffrence between them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmfWw...ayer_embedded#
interesting. Most are stylistic differences in how voice pitch is controlled. There were some variations on how the last 2 words are pronounced but that was the biggest difference I could feel.

Woodrow
02-09-2010, 02:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Wa7abiScientist
interesting. Most are stylistic differences in how voice pitch is controlled. There were some variations on how the last 2 words are pronounced but that was the biggest difference I could feel.
It is probably my hearing. I am essentially deaf and can only hear a limited range in tones. That may be Why I can not detect any differences in pronunciation by any reciters.

Now, I am curious about the different pronunciations. I will have to depend on others to explain it as I can not hear the differnces

CosmicPathos
02-09-2010, 02:22 AM
It is probably my hearing. I am essentially deaf and can only hear a limited range in tones. That may be Why I can not detect any differences in pronunciation by any reciters.

Now, I am curious about the different pronunciations. I will have to depend on others to explain it as I can not hear the differnces
The only difference in pronunciation was in the second last word which is usually pronounced as Kufuwan a7ad. It was pronounced in at least 2 different ways in those recitations. Other differences were merely the style of reciting and not stopping at the end of verses. I would not call these "dialectal differences."

islamlover_girl
02-09-2010, 02:50 AM

lesten again and concentrate at the last two words (كفوا أحد)
in the first one of them it is Qofoan ahad and in the second it is Qof`an ahad I mean by (`) the way of the pronouncing of hamza while in the third one it`s Qof`an(and a smal stop on the n) ahad at the third one it is Qof`ana ahad there is like fatha vawel between the two words the fourth and the fifth are similar the first one in the pronouncation of these two words while at the sixth it`s like the first one but with a diffrent that it is Qofoanahad he pronounce it as if there isn`t hamza at the begining oh the word ahad ,in another words he pronounce it as if letter non with fatha then letter ha with fatha without letter alef betwen them he completly ignor it.

There is many other diffrence between Qira`at but they don`t appear here because it`s short surah

islamlover_girl
02-09-2010, 02:32 PM
The most different between Qira`at is in the letter hamza as we don`t pronounce it in some qira`at and pronounce it in others,also in the time of (mad) (mad is the time of pronouncing letter alef or ya and it is some times 2,4or 6 harakat)and when we do mad ,when we don`t,and when we do tafkhem for some letters and when to do tarkik for it like letter ra and lam ,in some qira`at letter ya is pronounced as alef in some words and in other it is pronounced as ya all the time as in word يخشى it pronounced as yakhsha in some qira`at and pronounced as yakhshy in others,there is many other defferents ,Prophet Mohammed peace be upon him and his companions recited Quran with all qira`at so they are all right ,just it is the dialects of Arab at this time as they pronounce the same word in different ways.

Woodrow
02-09-2010, 02:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamlover_girl
The most different between Qira`at is in the letter hamza as we don`t pronounce it in some qira`at and pronounce it in others,also in the time of (mad) (mad is the time of pronouncing letter alef or ya and it is some times 2,4or 6 harakat)and when we do mad ,when we don`t,and when we do tafkhem for some letters and when to do tarkik for it like letter ra and lam ,in some qira`at letter ya is pronounced as alef in some words and in other it is pronounced as ya all the time as in word يخشى it pronounced as yakhsha in some qira`at and pronounced as yakhshy in others,there is many other defferents ,Prophet Mohammed peace be upon him and his companions recited Quran with all qira`at so they are all right ,just it is the dialects of Arab at this time as they pronounce the same word in different ways.
I suspect the problem is with my hearing. I can not detect any difference in the pronunciation in any of the recitations in the video. But there are many sounds I can not hear. Last year the VA provided me with hearing aids, but they got lost during our move from Minnesota so I am back being deaf again. I can hear some sounds and some peoples voices, But I can not hear well enough to understand most people.

Ummu Sufyaan
02-19-2010, 05:50 AM
what are the names of the Quranic dialects (qira2aat)
as far as i know there is: 7afs 3an 3aasim, warsh 3an naafi3, 7amzah, al-kisaa2y, and abu Ja3far...
what are the others?

Al-Hanbali
02-19-2010, 07:36 AM
There are 10 auhthentic qira'aat, each having two variations:

1) Naafi' - Warsh and Qaaloon
2) Ibn Katheer -al-Buzzi and Qunbul
3) Aboo 'Amr - Doori and Soosi
4) Ibn 'Aamir - Hishaam and Ibn Dhakwaan
5) 'Aasim - Hafs and Shu'bah
6) Humzah - Khalaf and Khallaad
7) al-Kisaa'ee - Abu al-Haarith and Doori
8) Aboo Ja'far - Ibn Wardaan and Ibn Jammaaz
9) Ya'qoob - Ruways and Rawh
10) Khalaf - Idrees and Ishaaq

Uthman
02-19-2010, 11:09 AM
See this thread as well: http://www.islamicboard.com/quran/12...aat-ahruf.html

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.