/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Why is first cousin marriage allowed?

Maysan
01-06-2010, 05:08 AM
Assalam Alaikum,

Islam does allow marriage between first cousins, even Prophet Muhammad(pbuh) wed his daughter Fatima to his cousin Ali, however couples breast fed by the same wet nurse are required to divorce.

I'm not asking this to question Islam or speak against the faith, just wondering as my marriage has recently been nullified because we were breast fed by the same nurse.

Marrying a first cousin, has some health risks for the children, especially repeated cousin marriages for generations.

In the first generation, its the same risk as a woman having children over 40, however risks rise with each generation, & in many Muslim communities, cousin marriages happen in practically evey generation. I have seen many families in Yemen where cousins are married in every generation.

There're problems in Saudi due to inbreeding:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...56C0A9659C8B63

Also, Pakistan has problems due to inbreeding:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ht/4442010.stm

Even in Britain, amongst immigrant Muslim communities, there're significantly more genetic illnesses than their numbers due to inbreeding:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programme...ht/4442010.stm

So why is cousin marriage allowed?

But couples breast fed by the same wet nurse are ordered to divorce:

Sahih Bukhari Volume 3, Book 48, Number 828:
Narrated 'Uqba bin Al-Harith:

I married a woman and later on a woman came and said, "I suckled you both." So, I went to the Prophet (to ask him about it). He said, "How can you (keep her as a wife) when it has been said (that you were foster brother and sister)? Leave (divorce) her.

This poses no health risks to future offspring, yet its forbidden, but repeated cousin marriages do pose tremendous health risks.

Again, I ask this with sincere intention to know, I have seen repeated cousin marriages in Yemen & some genetic illnesses also.

Jazak' Allah Khair.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
S_87
01-07-2010, 12:09 PM
simple because Allah allowed it.

ok ill be honest, all this imbreding thing and health risks-maybe possible

but realistically? we'd all be full of diseases if it were such a threat. you think the western countries never used to have this cousin marriage stigma thing?

I have seen many families in Yemen where cousins are married in every generation
in these repeated generation cousin marriages have you noticed a significant difference in the amount of health issues any children born have in comparison to children who have these same health issues from parents not remotely related?

IbnAbdulHakim
01-07-2010, 12:21 PM
if you grew up with a girl who wasnt related to you, and you saw her regularly, and you suddenly got married to her, would that be gross to you?

seriously im curious, most people say marrying the "child hood friend" is the most beautiful thing.

as for health risks, you think there arent health issues with non-cousin relationships? its all from the Qadr of Allaah!

czgibson
01-07-2010, 12:31 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by amani
simple because Allah allowed it.
Why do you think Allah would want to expose his followers to increased health risks?

ok ill be honest, all this imbreding thing and health risks-maybe possible
Possible? The facts are staring you in the face.

but realistically? we'd all be full of diseases if it were such a threat. you think the western countries never used to have this cousin marriage stigma thing?
True, but when people in the West found out how bad it could be for their health, they abandoned the practice.

in these repeated generation cousin marriages have you noticed a significant difference in the amount of health issues any children born have in comparison to children who have these same health issues from parents not remotely related?
If I understand you correctly, the significant difference you suggest has already been mentioned in the articles posted by Maysan. For example:

format_quote Originally Posted by Justin Rowlatt (BBC)
British Pakistanis are 13 times more likely to have children with genetic disorders than the general population - they account for just over 3% of all births but have just under a third of all British children with such illnesses.
Peace

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
CosmicPathos
01-07-2010, 12:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Maysan
Assalam Alaikum,

Islam does allow marriage between first cousins, even Prophet Muhammad(pbuh) wed his daughter Fatima to his cousin Ali, however couples breast fed by the same wet nurse are required to divorce.

I'm not asking this to question Islam or speak against the faith, just wondering as my marriage has recently been nullified because we were breast fed by the same nurse.

Marrying a first cousin, has some health risks for the children, especially repeated cousin marriages for generations.

In the first generation, its the same risk as a woman having children over 40, however risks rise with each generation, & in many Muslim communities, cousin marriages happen in practically evey generation. I have seen many families in Yemen where cousins are married in every generation.

Even in Britain, amongst immigrant Muslim communities, there're significantly more genetic illnesses than their numbers due to inbreeding:

I married a woman and later on a woman came and said, "I suckled you both." So, I went to the Prophet (to ask him about it). He said, "How can you (keep her as a wife) when it has been said (that you were foster brother and sister)? Leave (divorce) her.

This poses no health risks to future offspring, yet its forbidden, but repeated cousin marriages do pose tremendous health risks.

Again, I ask this with sincere intention to know, I have seen repeated cousin marriages in Yemen & some genetic illnesses also.

Jazak' Allah Khair.
I will answer with all sincerity. Your loss is indeed saddening but it does not justify the angle of your questioning why Prophet allowed cousin marriage while told those breast fed to not marry.

1- You are citing some news sites to tell us that cousin marriage leads to progeny which has genetic illnesses? You want a skeptic to believe in some news websites? If you want to have any credibility, cite some scientific research papers who have no conflict of interests, just to garner some serious attention to your issue.

2- Is there a difference in repeated cousin marriage over generations and cousin marriage in perhaps one or two instances?

3- If cousin marriage is to be banned, marrying women over 40 years is to be banned. Why? Both lead to increased risks of genetic illnesses. I am not an embryologist and do not have figures at my hand, even marrying a women in 20s increases the risk of fertilizing a malformed egg than marrying a women in her teens. Ban marrying women in 20s too?

4- If what you have said is somehow true then Jews had a greater percentage of people who interbred. We see a bit increased number of genetic illnesses in them. At the same time if I recall most Nobel Prizes have been won by the Jews? My yemeni friend married his cousin. He has 2 daughters. Both seem to be fine.

5- Dont take your personal revenge out on the commandments of Allah. We all suffer, yours is not unique.

6- Is there a difference in being cousin and a brother/sister? Prophet Muhammad saw told us that those who are below 2 years age and are breast fed by the same woman are like brothers and sisters. Prophet did not say they are cousins. A cousin is technically a descendant of siblings who descended from the same parents. If that criteria of choosing spouses is valid, then we can marry NO other person on this earth. All of them are descendants of apes (pun intended), and are some how related because we all descended from bacteria. What nonsense.

7- And prophet did not forbid marriage of breast-fed brother/sister cuz it will lead to high genetic illness! It seems you are arguing that Prophet amde a mistake. Instead of banning cousin marriage, he banned breast fed etc marriage. Nice.

I end with the praise of Allah. All good is from Allah and all bad in what I wrote is from me. I apologize if I came across as harsh but your initial post was no less harsher.

ardianto
01-07-2010, 12:45 PM
:sl:

My mother is a second daughter from five daughter in her family. She and all of her sisters wear glasses.

I have one brother and two sisters. Only my third sister who wear not glasses.

I have ten cousins from my mother side. Five of them wear glasses.

And people say that's because my grandpa and my grandma are cousin.

Cabdullahi
01-07-2010, 12:47 PM
Our pokora brothers have married their cousins for years and if that causes genetic disorder on wide scale then i simple haven't seen even one mutant yet in the Pakistani community

CosmicPathos
01-07-2010, 12:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto

My mother is a second daughter from five daughter in her family. She and all of her sisters wear glasses.

all my siblings including me wear glasses. My parents are not cousins. Not even related.

People can say all the crap they would like to. Mere delusions and wife-tales.

CosmicPathos
01-07-2010, 12:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

Why do you think Allah would want to expose his followers to increased health risks?

True, but when people in the West found out how bad it could be for their health, they abandoned the practice.

If I understand you correctly, the significant difference you suggest has already been mentioned in the articles posted by Maysan. For example:

Peace
Who are you to question whether He choses to let his followers suffer or not? Life itself is a suffering. Yet you dont take it as that.

CosmicPathos
01-07-2010, 12:56 PM
Greetings,

Peace
Let me quote the story of your god: Charles Darwin.

"Successful marriages between first cousins, such as Charles Darwin and his wife, have been uniformly ignored in the popular mythology of this taboo. The Darwins produced ten healthy offspring, several of whom were just as exceptional as their famous father." here

Now, do you see this DATA staring and poking right into your deceptive eye balls? Or you just closed your eyes to not feel threatened? I suspect the later.

CosmicPathos
01-07-2010, 01:00 PM
"First-cousin marriage isn't a surefire recipe for congenital defects. True, marriage among close kin can increase the chance of pathological recessive genes meeting up in some unlucky individual, with dire consequences. The problem isn't cousin marriage per se, however, but rather how many such genes are floating around in the family pool. If the pool's pretty clean, the likelihood of genetic defects resulting from cousin marriage is low. A recent review (Bennett et al, Journal of Genetic Counseling, 2002) says that, on average, offspring of first-cousin unions have a 2 to 3 percent greater risk of birth defects than the general population, and a little over 4 percent greater risk of early death. While those margins aren't trivial, genetic testing and counseling can minimize the danger. An argument can be made that marriages of first cousins descended from strong stock can produce exceptional children. Charles Darwin, for example, married his first cousin Emma, which wasn't at all unusual in their prominent and successful family--their common grandparents were cousins too. Three of Charles and Emma's ten kids died in childhood, it's true, but that was standard for Victorian England; the others went on to productive and in some cases distinguished careers."http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...usins-marrying

S_87
01-07-2010, 01:04 PM

my parents are cousins-im the only one that wears glasses from the 5 of us. no other problems.
dads bro-married to cousin-none of the kids wear glasses/no other illness.
other bro-married to cousin/none of the kids wear glasses/no other illness
sis-married to someone not remotely related- two out of 4 kids wear glasses

the only one out of all the related on my dads side out of 13 of us to have glasses is me- and no other illness is there Alhumdulillah

my parents were cousins before marriage and i know many people like that and theres no 'increased health risk' seen. this is something that has been going on for generations....
as i said sure ive read the articles but refer to what ive said above..

how bad it could be?
...so they abandoned the pratice. will alchohol usage/smoking/unprotected sex out of marriage etc be abandoned?

Cabdullahi
01-07-2010, 01:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani
my parents are cousins-im the only one that wears glasses from the 5 of us. no other problems.
dads bro-married to cousin-none of the kids wear glasses/no other illness.
other bro-married to cousin/none of the kids wear glasses/no other illness
sis-married to someone not remotely related- two out of 4 kids wear glasses

the only one out of all the related on my dads side out of 13 of us to have glasses is me- and no other illness is there Alhumdulillah

my parents were cousins before marriage and i know many people like that and theres no 'increased health risk' seen. this is something that has been going on for generations....

as i said sure ive read the articles but refer to what ive said above..

how bad it could be?
...so they abandoned the pratice. will alchohol usage/smoking/unprotected sex out of marriage etc be abandoned?
^ on that note this thread should be closed....skeptics can shut it!

ardianto
01-07-2010, 01:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Wa7abiScientist
all my siblings including me wear glasses. My parents are not cousins. Not even related.

People can say all the crap they would like to. Mere delusions and wife-tales.
People say that's because my grandpa and my grand, are cousin, but I don't believe it. :p

AhmadibnNasroon
01-07-2010, 04:22 PM
assalamu 3laykum,

Although I think this has been previously mentioned, the whole notion that its because you're cousins is stupid and its not scientifically proven. However what IS scientifically prove is that when two people with similar defects in their genes then the child MAY be at risk. This can happen with two people whether they are cousins or not. So this issue isn't are they related, the issue is, do they have defects in their genes hence you find people who AREN'T related having children that have birth defects.

As a previous poster said, it is from the qadr of Allah. The sharee3ah is perfect and may we love every aspect of it.

Btw Muhammad al Jibaly has an article on this I think you can find it on the Multaqa forums.

cat eyes
01-07-2010, 04:39 PM
marrying a cousin is allowed for many reasons but i personally don't agree to it because of the complications but Allah allowed it maybe because its difficult enough finding a suitable spouse for ones child so Allah dose not want to place burdens on any soul and make it difficult for them

cat eyes
01-07-2010, 04:49 PM

lol u sound like wearing glasses is a bad thing:'(

happy
01-07-2010, 04:58 PM
Firstly, marry is not from the muslim even the non muslim from Pakisatan,India and other non muslim people does. Secondly it is your choice if you don't want marry your cousin then don't marry.Thirdly, Allah is hakim which means everthing he does there is wisdom behind it and Allah knows best. If there was diseases then Allah wants what is best which means he would make haram if marrying the first cousin have many problems.

MSalman
01-07-2010, 05:46 PM

seriously, another pathetic attack by west on Islam and it is sad that Muslims fall into their traps. If you personally don't want to marry your cousin, keep it yourself this is your personal choice. Stop making fun of what is permissible for people and labeling it 'gross'. If the same girl/guy wasn't your cousin then it would be so "romantic" - marrying your childhood friend/partner. This is problem with west mentality - they cannot think clearly. The problem with people in the west is that they simply have forgotten how their ancestors lived in the past and then the new Muslims growing up in this environment also fall into their traps. Because the west has morally decayed to the point where they simply don't know what is wrong and right anymore, they cannot swallow certain things because it doesn't work with their limited intellect - an arrogant approach.

because so that people like you ask nonsensical questions like this one. Seriously, is this suppose to be a legitimate rational question? Because He is God and you're not - He knows what is best for us and you as a human doesn't. Try to be humble sometime, it is good for your health. Acting arrogantly and believing that you are capable of understanding everything using your limited intellect will never do good to you. As someone mentioned, life itself is suffering and opposes health risks, why do you not question that! I mean when according to you life is not good for you why are you still holding it; why not commit suicide since it comes with price of suffering and there is no meaning to our life?

The benefit of such marriage outweigh the harm - humans have been carrying out such marriages for millennia and how many families have genetic disorder? Are you 100% certain that there are no health risks if one marries other than his/her cousin?

Again, I have to repeat it you, go discuss whether God exists or not instead of beating around the bush about laws. Discussing laws makes no sense when you don't even agree with existence of the source of that law! Pure rubbish and unproductive on your part and talk about claiming over and over again that you have been here for years to learn.

yes, it is so bad for your health that you may 'die' after few years yet humanity has practiced for millennia and many people continue to do so in many part of the word without any significant affects to their health. It is funny how the west haven't abandoned many other things which are bad for their health but in fact opposing those practices is deemed immoral in their world view - talk about lack of common sense. Why have west not abandoned marriages in totality when the disorders genes could be present in their partner, which were passed down from their ancestors who practiced cousin marriages?

Cabdullahi
01-07-2010, 06:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
lol u sound like wearing glasses is a bad thing:'(
a cat with double glazing

Hamza Asadullah
01-07-2010, 06:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Maysan
Assalam Alaikum,

Jazak' Allah Khair.
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, here is the Islamic viewpoint:

Answering the question in point, Dr. Muzammil H. Siddiqi, former President of the Islamic Society of North America, states:

"Marriages between first cousins are allowed in Islam. In surat an-Nisa' (4:22-24), Allah mentioned the women who are forbidden for marriage and then He said, "… Lawful to you are all beyond those mentioned, so that you may seek them with your wealth in honest wedlock…" In surat al-Ahzab (33:50), Allah mentioned to the Prophet that he may marry the daughters of his uncles and aunts from the father's side or the mother's side. It is the consensus of the jurists that this permission was not only for the Prophet, but it is also a permission for other believers. Muslims have practiced marriages between first cousins in all countries since the time of the Prophet.

Such marriages are allowed in many other religions and cultures as well. In United States, most of the states allow marriages between the first cousins. There is nothing wrong in this marriage.

However, it is a good practice to have a blood test before marriage. If one suspects some hereditary disease or any other problem then he/she should seek the advice of a medical expert in this field. The chances of health risk in this marriage are very rare. Most of the marriages have been good and children quite healthy."

Excerpted, with slight modifications from: http://pakistanlink.com/religion.html

Elaborating on this issue, we'd like to cite the fatwa issued by Sheikh M. S. Al-Munajjid, a prominent Saudi Muslim lecturer and author. He states:

"There is no objection whatsoever in the Islamic religion for a man to marry any of his relatives except those forbidden for marriage whom Allah mentioned in surat an-Nisaa' (4: 23) Thus, when Allah mentioned for us the relatives to whom marriage is forbidden, we then come to know that there is no objection for the remainder of the family relations.

Among the most prominent evidence of this fact is that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) married his daughter Fatimah to `Ali (may Allah be pleased with them) and he is the son of her father's uncle, as well as the marriage of the Prophet himself to Zaynab bint Jahsh (may Allah be pleased with her) and she is his aunt's daughter (i.e. his cousin); and there are many other such examples.

However, a different question may be asked, namely: "Is it better or preferable for a Muslim to marry someone he is not related to rather than a relative?"

The answer to this question varies from case to case, and perhaps it may be preferable to marry people who are non-relations, for example if one aspires to form new social ties or bonds, and regards the existence of a marriage relationship with a different family as constructive in widening the circle of social bonds." (Source: www.islam-qa.com)

Elaborating on the issue whether it is preferable not to marry close cousins, we’d like to cite for you the following fatwa:

“Islam permits marriage between first cousins. If we read the Qur'anic verses which enumerate women to whom a Muslim cannot be married, you will find that this list does not include cousins.

The Islamic view is that while marriage between cousins is permissible, it is preferable to choose a marriage partner from outside one's family. We have to distinguish between what is permitted and what is advocated. Some clans restrict marriages to amongst their kin only – a practice far from what is advocated. It is worth stressing here that when marriage of cousins is repeated over several generations, they are bound to have more effects on children.

By permitting such marriages Islam does not encourage them. It advocates the cementing of social relations through marriages between totally unrelated families.

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) once told one of his Companions to choose a wife from a tribe different to his, and then to choose for his son a wife from a third tribe, and to seek for his second son a girl from yet another tribe.

Preferring this course of action, Islam nevertheless permits marriage between cousins because it meets a social need.”

Excerpted, with modifications, from: www.islamicity.com

In conclusion, it is clear that Islam, undoubtedly, permits marrying cousins. As for the issue of preferring to choose a marriage partner from outside one's family, this varies from one case to another. Yet, Islam is generally keen to widen the circle of social bonds. As for the fear of hereditary diseases, it is a good practice to have a blood test before marriage. If one suspects some hereditary disease or any other problem then he/she should seek the advice of a medical expert in this field.

May Allah guide you to the straight path and direct you to that which pleases Him, Ameen.

Source:http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503544772

And another fatwa:

In the name of Allah, Most Compassionate, Most Merciful,

The Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) himself explained the criterion on which a life partner should be chosen.

Sayyiduna Abu Huraira (Allah be pleased with him) reports that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: "If one, whose Deen and good character pleases you, requests you for marriage, then accept his request, otherwise there will be great trial (fitna) and widespread destruction". (Sunan Tirmizi, 1/207).

In another Hadith, the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: "A woman is married for four reasons, her wealth, lineage, status and Deen. So choose the one who is religious". (Sahih al-Bukhari, 2/762).

Thus, the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) clearly mentioned that the criterion on which a marriage partner should be selected is a person's Deen and good manners.

Suitability and compatibility (kafa'a) is also one of the important things that need to be considered when choosing a spouse. One of the main ingredients for a prosperous and successful marriage is compatibility. The greater the compatibility and more similar your goals and outlooks, the more likely is the prospect of a successful marriage.

The Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) is reported to have said:

'When you find a suitable partner for a widow (non-married woman, m), then conduct the marriage without any delay' (Sunan Tirmizi, 1/206).

The above is clear in determining that the most important aspect that needs to be considered when choosing a spouse is one's religious inclination and manners. There is no mention of looking for a spouse in the family.

Compatibility is encouraged, but that does not necessarily mean looking for a spouse within the family. Many times, you may have so much in common with somebody from a total different background, whereas no chemistry is found between first cousins.

There are many examples where the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) and the Companions (Sahaba, Allah be pleased with them all) contracted marriages outside the family. Thus, to place exaggerated emphasis on marriages within the family based purely on pride of ancestry and lineage is something that Islam disapproves of.

And Allah knows best

Muhammad ibn Adam al-Kawthari
Darul Iftaa, Leicester, UK

www.daruliftaa.org

alcurad
01-07-2010, 07:42 PM
sister maysan, I left a reply in your other thread, I hope it'll clear the matter up.

CosmicPathos
01-07-2010, 07:54 PM
@ Hamza81: beautiful reply.

maisha
01-07-2010, 09:57 PM
my auntie got married to my other uncle and i was shocked by it but then i found out that it is alloud in islam but i still find it a bit wiered.

Snowflake
01-09-2010, 02:21 AM
The Islamic view is that while marriage between cousins is permissible, it is preferable to choose a marriage partner from outside one's family. We have to distinguish between what is permitted and what is advocated. Some clans restrict marriages to amongst their kin only – a practice far from what is advocated. It is worth stressing here that when marriage of cousins is repeated over several generations, they are bound to have more effects on children.
JazakAllahu khayr for this article.

Cousin to cousin marriages take place more due to cultural beliefs rather than Islam. As said in brother Hamza's post, Islam allows it but doesn't encourage it.

Cousin to cousin marriages are based on silly ideas such as:

1. the daughter-in-law will treat the family better than an 'outsider' would.

2. why give 'hand in marriage' to outsiders when there is potential spouse in family

3. Better the devil you know..

Often there is a severe mismatch of couples and sometimes the marriages are forced. Islam recommends marrying one who is strong in the deen. This recommendation is rarely given a thought when most cousin to cousin marriages are being arranged. First cousin marriages are popular due to cultural/tribal beliefs not because Islam allowed it.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.