/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Can't cope.

AnonymousPoster
01-06-2010, 11:43 AM
I really need some advice.

I'll try and explain my situation breifly. I live at home with my parent's and siblings, due to a previous relationship breakdown (before I converted to Islam) I then lost my job and then I had a car accident and lost my car (Nice year huh!) I was extremely grateful that I didn't loose my life, extremely grateful and extremly lucky, it changed my view on alot of things (something not everyone understands or shares the same view on).

That was 2008. Since then i've not been able to hold down any work. At first I was applying for working with my field, then admin jobs, then any jobs I came across which I could do. Yesterday I had a phone call from an agent and she warned me because i've been out of work so long, the client might not call me for an interview because of that. I know this would be an issue and i'm sure in the current climate i'm not the only person facing this issue, its simular to the issue you have when you've gone from school to college and university, no one want's to employ you because you have know experience. So although her honesty did put me down a little, I wasn't to bothered as I had the simular situation when I left university.

The biggest problem I have, is my father. He is self employed, he is also currently out of work and he constantly puts me down. I call them his ego trips, because I cannot see any other reason for why he does it other then he's trying to make himself feel better. He'll say Oh you've been out of work for 14 months, you aren't doing enough. He says he doesn't put me down but he does. He'll make an entire conversation on how if someone has my cv and someone else's cv and someone with the same qualifications has been in work and i've not they'll choose that person over me. Obviously I know this, so then I ask, do you have any positive advice on how I can change this. No. He just likes to make these negative scenarios to make himself feel better like he's better then me because i've been out of work longer and everyone else has managed to find a job.

I'm also having a problem where by, basic unskilled jobs I apply for, they won't take me on because i'm over qualified, but I can't take my degree off my cv or how will I explain a big 5 year gap?

The main problem is him, I cannot cope with his constant bring me downs just so he can feel better. When I try and argue points back, they are ignored or argued against and then he'll come out with his favorite line of, if you're going to shout at me you can get out of my house.

Trust me, I want to leave this house asap. Anything I do that he doesn't agree with is used against me and according to him a "waste of time".

I try and stay strong and ignore it but sometimes it's hard :cry:
If he sees me getting upset and I tell him it's because of what he said, he gets upset and makes me feel guily because he comes out with things such as "Don't say that, I only want the best for you".

Which i'm not doubting, but the way he goes about it is completely wrong and he won't listen.

Sometimes I want to run, but I have no where to run :( and he knows this and he uses it against me, which is why he tells me to leave, he knows I won't leave and i'll do what he says because i've no where else to actually go.

I hate arguing with him, but sometimes he acts so childish, he doesn't seem to realise i'm not a child that needs his permission for things I want to do with my life. Instead he thinks I should be doing what he sees right for my life.

I don't know what to do :cry:

This is the third day we've been at home togerther now everyone is back in work and this is the third day i've put up with this. It will only stop when he seems I am upset and i'm not prepared for him to beat me down that low all the time. At least it stops for a week or so until he feels the need to repeat this same scenario over and over.

Help imsad:cry:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
zakirs
01-06-2010, 04:07 PM
Sister :sl:,

i am very sorry for what has happened to you ,

As you told 2008 has been a very bad year for you. Its nice that you put those things behind.One reason you could tell employers is tell them about ur accident and explain to them the reason why you werent employed for few months.

As for why your father behaves like that , he might be stressed with him not working and the whole financial situation.

May be this is a test for you.Please be strong and pray to Allah.

aadil77
01-06-2010, 04:25 PM
SubhanAllah bro I pray that you find work InshAllah,

I'm only 18 and not been in proper work yet but I can tell how you feel. Ever since I left my part time job (for islamic reasons) I haven't been able to find another one and since then my mum has been saying that I'm a burden on her, waste of space etc. It is fustrating, especially for men who should atleast be able to look after themselves, let alone their families.

Keep strong and don't give up, Allah is the provider - Ar-Razzaq - so InshAllah you'll find work akhi

Rabi'ya
01-06-2010, 04:37 PM
:sl:

sorry i cannot write a longer reply, but my advise to ANYONE who is in a position where they have been out of work for a long time is this.

Do voluntary work!

Not only does it keep you out of the house and active. It also makes a positive effect on someone elses life who is less fortunate than you. This can be anything, from working in a charity shop, to helping out with befriending services, English language classes for second language speakers, voluntary work within the mosque. The list is endless. Not only can you then include this on your CV (as technically its work), but it will also help to boost your self esteem.

If you want any advice regarding this or how to go about it then pelase contact me, I'd be more than glad to be of service. :)

I pray Allah guides you and gives you strength during these difficult times.ameen

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
CosmicPathos
01-06-2010, 04:42 PM
men are not supposed to sit at home on genetic basis, it induces depression .... i have no data to back it up tho its just a personal experience

AnonymousPoster
01-06-2010, 04:46 PM
Actually i'm not a man, i'm a woman.

Rabi'ya
01-06-2010, 04:46 PM

Indeed it does. even though i am not a guy I have noticed that men who do not do what Allah has ordained for them seem to get worse and more depressed just like WahiabiScientise has said. However, brother the comment you have made is by no means encouraging the OP to change his life around. Practical and positive support is what is needed here.

ooops, I did wonder if you are Male or Female.

Alhamdulillah. please take my first post into account sis :)

Nájlá
01-06-2010, 05:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AnonymousGender
Asalamu Alaykum,

Firstly, I am sorry to whats happend/happing to you... I don't know how i can help you But I know someone who might.

Try the muslim coach sis, Inshallah sis Farzana can help you.

http://www.themuslimcoach.com/

Snowflake
01-06-2010, 05:04 PM
To the O.P

There was nothing in your post to indicate whether you're muslim or not. But even if you aren't, a non muslim too would agree that patience is the greatest virtue. Parents can be illogical and at times it is testing to be the brunt of their irrationalism. But do it we must. Your father really believes that by putting you down he will evoke the desire in you to compete and you'll take it as a challenge to prove him wrong. He may even know he is hurting you, but believes that bitter medicine works best. Please try to believe that he doesn't wish you harm. I know that doesn't make his 'speeches' easier to bear, so try to 'go deaf' during one and think of something else.

As for work, have you considered working at your local job centre/council? If not try there. You can put your education to good use and tuition other students who are studying the same subject. Most teachers charge £20 an hour.

What about working as a paramedic? Consider fields that you haven't already. Up your search and God willing a job will come along soon.

This report suggests the job market is improving. Keep your hopes up and pray to God to help you in your efforts. May Allah set your affairs in order. Ameen.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/j...-increase.html

Snowflake
01-06-2010, 05:06 PM
Ah! Are you muslim, if you don't mind my asking? A muslim daughter isn't expected to work. It is her father's job to provide for her, and after she marries, her husband is responsible for her maintenance.

AnonymousPoster
01-06-2010, 05:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scents of Jannah
Ah! Are you muslim, if you don't mind my asking? A muslim daughter isn't expected to work. It is her father's job to provide for her, and after she marries, her husband is responsible for her maintenance.
I am Muslim, however my family are not. I am to married, but my husband isn't in a position to provide for me right at this moment in time and I never asked for any of his salary during our Nikah. He said if I want to work I can :statisfie

Thank you so much for your advice sister, I really appriciate it :statisfie

Raaina
01-06-2010, 05:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nájlá
Asalamu Alaykum,

Firstly, I am sorry to whats happend/happing to you... I don't know how i can help you But I know someone who might.

Try the muslim coach sis, Inshallah sis Farzana can help you.

http://www.themuslimcoach.com/
Thank you for the link sister, i'll be sure to check it you :)

Snowflake
01-06-2010, 05:53 PM
I am Muslim, however my family are not. I am to married, but my husband isn't in a position to provide for me right at this moment in time and I never asked for any of his salary during our Nikah. He said if I want to work I can :statisfie

You're welcome sis :)

Could it be that your father isn't happy about your husband not being able to provide for you and is taking it out on you? Is your husband is living there too (or abroad).

Can I ask if you're in the UK sis? If yes, are you on Job Seekers Allowance? If not you should apply. It will provide some financial relief as you look for a job.

It will also be useful in finding accomodation. There are estate agents who let flat/houses to persons claiming benefits. If you need help, I am more than happy to help you inshaAllah.

Working a minimum of 16 per week (UK) also entitles workers to rent and council tax rebate as well as other benefits.

If you are in the UK, it's really worth making an appointment at your local job centre and ask them to breakdown for you the benefits/rebates you are entitled you if you work a minimum of 16 hours per week. They will give you a print out. This will help you decide what kind of accomodation you can afford and what your overall income will be if you work 16 hours min/£98.00 minimum earnings per week).

Please don't hesitate to PM me if you need more help. :)

:wa:

glo
01-06-2010, 06:32 PM
I agree with Orchid's suggestion to do some voluntary work.
Not only will it keep you in 'work mode', but it may also lead to paid employment!

My husband has taken volunteer work twice, and both times did it lead to a paid job.
He did volunteer for small groups/companies, who tended to fill vacancies for paid jobs from within their workforce. So my husband would never have been likely to see those vacancies advertised anywhere.

The other advantage was that he had chosen volunteer jobs in areas he was particularly interested in - so the paid jobs he ended up with were also of real interest to him.

If you are in the UK, try this website for information: http://www.do-it.org.uk/
There may also be a volunteer service run by your local Council.

Good luck!

syilla
01-07-2010, 01:15 AM
:salamext:

is okay if you're not doing well in this life because in Islam the most important thing is the hereafter.

So concentrate and focus in remembering Allah, take care of your salah and be nice to others...and InshaAllah when you take care of that... Allah swt will take care of you in this world. :)

The Prophet (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said in the hadith of Ibn Abbas, “If you take care of the commands of Allah, Allah will take care of you (and you will find Allah with you).”

Al-Hasan al-Basri said, "If you see a man competing with you with regard to this world then compete with him concerning the Hereafter."

Wuhayb ibn al-Ward said, "If you are able to make sure that no one precedes you in hastening towards Allah then do so."

Muhammad ibn Yusuf al-Asbahani said, "If a person hears of another person or knows of another person who is more obedient to Allah than him, then that should grieve him."

http://www.islamicboard.com/words-wi...your-head.html

aadil77
01-07-2010, 01:35 AM

You don't need to ask for any of his salary, islamically he has to be able to provide for you to get married. InshAllah things will work out

Muslim Woman
01-07-2010, 01:37 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by syilla

.. concentrate and focus in remembering Allah,

yes and we should remember :

Allah burdens not a person beyond his scope.

2:286

Hamza Asadullah
01-07-2010, 04:02 AM
I really need some advice.

I'll try and explain my situation breifly. I live at home with my parent's and siblings, due to a previous relationship breakdown (before I converted to Islam) I then lost my job and then I had a car accident and lost my car (Nice year huh!) I was extremely grateful that I didn't loose my life, extremely grateful and extremly lucky, it changed my view on alot of things (something not everyone understands or shares the same view on).

That was 2008. Since then i've not been able to hold down any work. At first I was applying for working with my field, then admin jobs, then any jobs I came across which I could do. Yesterday I had a phone call from an agent and she warned me because i've been out of work so long, the client might not call me for an interview because of that. I know this would be an issue and i'm sure in the current climate i'm not the only person facing this issue, its simular to the issue you have when you've gone from school to college and university, no one want's to employ you because you have know experience. So although her honesty did put me down a little, I wasn't to bothered as I had the simular situation when I left university.

The biggest problem I have, is my father. He is self employed, he is also currently out of work and he constantly puts me down. I call them his ego trips, because I cannot see any other reason for why he does it other then he's trying to make himself feel better. He'll say Oh you've been out of work for 14 months, you aren't doing enough. He says he doesn't put me down but he does. He'll make an entire conversation on how if someone has my cv and someone else's cv and someone with the same qualifications has been in work and i've not they'll choose that person over me. Obviously I know this, so then I ask, do you have any positive advice on how I can change this. No. He just likes to make these negative scenarios to make himself feel better like he's better then me because i've been out of work longer and everyone else has managed to find a job.

I'm also having a problem where by, basic unskilled jobs I apply for, they won't take me on because i'm over qualified, but I can't take my degree off my cv or how will I explain a big 5 year gap?

The main problem is him, I cannot cope with his constant bring me downs just so he can feel better. When I try and argue points back, they are ignored or argued against and then he'll come out with his favorite line of, if you're going to shout at me you can get out of my house.

Trust me, I want to leave this house asap. Anything I do that he doesn't agree with is used against me and according to him a "waste of time".

I try and stay strong and ignore it but sometimes it's hard :cry:
If he sees me getting upset and I tell him it's because of what he said, he gets upset and makes me feel guily because he comes out with things such as "Don't say that, I only want the best for you".

Which i'm not doubting, but the way he goes about it is completely wrong and he won't listen.

Sometimes I want to run, but I have no where to run :( and he knows this and he uses it against me, which is why he tells me to leave, he knows I won't leave and i'll do what he says because i've no where else to actually go.

I hate arguing with him, but sometimes he acts so childish, he doesn't seem to realise i'm not a child that needs his permission for things I want to do with my life. Instead he thinks I should be doing what he sees right for my life.

I don't know what to do :cry:

This is the third day we've been at home togerther now everyone is back in work and this is the third day i've put up with this. It will only stop when he seems I am upset and i'm not prepared for him to beat me down that low all the time. At least it stops for a week or so until he feels the need to repeat this same scenario over and over.

Help imsad:cry:
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, my sister your not alone. Unfortunatley many parents may take this detrimental approach with their children. But sister i can assure you your father does not have the intention to purposely hurt you but it may be his way of having some sort of control. Its just his way of doing things even though they are detrimental.

The command to be good to one's parents begins right from the Qur'an. Allah says:

"Worship God and join not any partners with Him; and be kind to your parents..." [Noble Quran 4:36]

The mention of servitude to parents follows immediately after servitude to God. This is repeated throughout the Qur'an.

"Your Lord has decreed that you worship none but Him and that you be kind to parents. Whether one or both of them attain old age in your life, say not to them a word of contempt, nor repel them, but address them in terms of honor. And out of kindness, lower to them the wing of humility and say, ["My Lord! Bestow on them Your Mercy even as they cherished me in childhood." [Noble Quran 17:23-24]

The great scholar, Abu al-Faraj Ibn Al-Jawzî (d. 1201CE) explained:

To be kind to one's parents is: to obey them when they order you to do something, unless it is something which Allah has forbidden; to give priority to their orders over voluntary acts of worship; to abstain from that which they forbid you to do; to provide for them; to serve them; to approach them with gentle humility and mercy; not to raise your voice in front of them; nor to fix your glance on them; nor to call them by their names; and to be patient with them. (Ibn al-Jawzî, Birr al-Wâlidayn)

The Qur'an emphasizes the great struggles the mother goes through for her child, to highlight the need for one to reciprocate their parents sacrifice for them:

"And We have enjoined on man [to be good] to his parents: in travail upon travail did his mother bear him and his weaning was over two years. Be thankful to Me and to your parents, unto Me is the final destination." [Noble Quran 31:14]

The renowned exegete, Shaykh Abdur-Rahman As-Sa'di (d. 1956), says about this verse:

{And to your parents} meaning, be kind to your parents, shower on them love, affection and piety, both in words and deeds, treat them with tender humility, provide for them and never harm them verbally nor physically. [...] Then, Allah mentions the reason why we should be kind to our parents, when He says {His mother bore him in travail upon travail}, that is, the mother bore constant suffering; in pain and hardship from the first moment she felt the child moving in her womb to the worst pangs during the time of delivery. And {his weaning is for two years}, that is, during these two years the mother breast-feeds her child and looks after him/her. So after all the years of suffering, hardship, love and care, could we not, at least, compensate our mothers for what they have done for us and pay them back their rights? (Taysîr al-Karîm ar-Rahmân fî Tafsîr al-Kalâm al-Manân)

The Qur'an repeats its mention of the struggles of the mother in yet another passage:

"And We have enjoined upon man, to his parents, good treatment. His mother carried him with hardship and gave birth to him with hardship, and his gestation and weaning [period] is thirty months. [He grows] until, when he reaches maturity and reaches [the age of] forty years, he says, "My Lord, enable me to be grateful for Your favor which You have bestowed upon me and upon my parents and to work righteousness of which You will approve and make righteous for me my offspring. Indeed, I have repented to You, and indeed, I am of the Muslims." [Noble Quran 46:15]

In connection to this passage, the late Grand Mufti of Pakistan, Shaykh Muhammad Shafy (d. 1976) wrote:

Mother has more rights than father

Although the first part of this verse is a command to do good to both the parents, the second sentence refers only to the hardships suffered by the mother, because they are unavoidable, and no child can be born without them. Every mother has to go through the problems of pregnancy and severe pains of delivery. As against this, it is not necessary for a father that he suffers any hardship in bringing up and educating the child, if he can afford to pay somebody else for these services. This is why the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) has given more rights to the mother than anybody else. According to a hadîth he has said,

"Do good to and serve your mother, then your mother, then your mother, then your father, then the near relatives and then those who come after them." [Mazhari]

The Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) continually used to remind his followers of the status of the mother and the obligation of being good to one's parents. The following narration is a beautiful example of the noble position of the mother:

A man came to the Prophet and said: O Messenger of Allah! Who from amongst mankind warrants the best companionship from me? He replied: "Your mother." The man asked: Then who? So he replied: "Your mother." The man then asked: Then who? So the Prophet replied again: "Your mother." The man then asked: Then who? So he replied: "Then your father." (Sahîh Bukhârî 5971 and Sahîh Muslim 7/2)

The Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) showed us the importance of serving one's parents in the following narration reported by Abdullah Ibn Mas'ud:

I asked the Prophet, 'O Messenger of Allah, what is the best deed?' He replied 'Prayer offered on time.' I asked, 'What is next in goodness?' He replied, 'To be dutiful and kind to one's parents.' I further asked, 'What is next in goodness?' He replied, 'Jihad in the Allah's cause. [Sahîh Bukhârî, Sahîh Muslim]

Just as the Prophet said that kindness to one's parents was of the best deeds, he also said that disobedience to them was amongst the major sins:

"The greatest sins are to associate partners in worship with Allah, to be undutiful or unkind to one's parents, to kill a soul forbidden by Allah and to bear false witness." [Sahîh Bukhârî]

Another early Islamic scholar, Sa'îd Ibn Al-Musayyib (d. 709CE), was asked about the meaning of the verse "but address them in terms of honor" (17:23). Sa'îd Ibn Al-Musayyib replied:

It means that you should address them as a servant addresses his master.

Here are some tips for you in how to deal with your father:

1. Try and keep out of his way when you know he is in one of those moods where you know he will bring you down or start criticising you. Just go into your room and pray Salah or recite the Qur'an with its meanings or read a good Islamic book.

2. When you feel that you are going to lose it with him then think to yourself he is my father and Allah has forbade me to even say 'uff' to him. So i must not answer back. Just think of Allah and remain calm and patient. If you fuel his anger even more then it will turn into a conflict. Just remain calm or leave the room calmly and not slamming the door or in a disrespectful way.

3. Never gain the anger and wrath of Allah by even saying "uff" to him. Even if our parents are oppressive to us we must be patient towards them and show them love in return. You are only doing it for the pleasure of Allah and this is a great way of gaining countless rewards and closeness to Allah!

4. Remember that by being patient with him your reward is with Allah and Allah is with those who are patient and the reward for patience is Jannah!

5. Keep in your mind that this is just temporary for you will not remain with your father forever. He will also die one day so make the best of the time you have with him and accept that this is his nature and don't take it to heart but accept it as advice. If you feel your getting angry then just think of Allah so that you can be prevented from reacting badly and also say: "A'oodhu billaahi minashaythaanirrajeem". I take refuge with Allah from shaythan.

6. Remember that the way we are towards our parents that is how our children will be towards us so respect them as much as you can for there is so much reward and goodness in this.

Also ask of Allah to give you a good job and be hopeful and have reliance in Allah. Continue to do your prayers and pray nafil prayers to for extra closeness to Allah.

pend a lot more time remembering Allah and reciting the Qur'an with its meanings and trying your best to implement what Allah has written in the Qur'an into your life.

Repent and ask of Allah as much as you can and know that he hears all of your prayers and that this is a test for you and he only tests those who he wants goodness for.

Allah is with those who are patient and the reward for patience can only be Jannah!

and Allah knows best

PersiaBeFree
01-09-2010, 04:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~SilverOrchid~

sorry i cannot write a longer reply, but my advise to ANYONE who is in a position where they have been out of work for a long time is this.

Do voluntary work!

Not only does it keep you out of the house and active. It also makes a positive effect on someone elses life who is less fortunate than you. This can be anything, from working in a charity shop, to helping out with befriending services, English language classes for second language speakers, voluntary work within the mosque. The list is endless. Not only can you then include this on your CV (as technically its work), but it will also help to boost your self esteem.

If you want any advice regarding this or how to go about it then pelase contact me, I'd be more than glad to be of service. :)

I pray Allah guides you and gives you strength during these difficult times.ameen
This is a good point.

In fact, while it is of course excellent to help others, you can also volunteer at places where you might otherwise have qualified for a job. You are very lucky to have a roof over your head that lets you take this approach.

Volunteer work can lead to employment, if they like you. What better way to prove yourself?

AnonymousPoster
01-09-2010, 05:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PersiaBeFree
This is a good point.

In fact, while it is of course excellent to help others, you can also volunteer at places where you might otherwise have qualified for a job. You are very lucky to have a roof over your head that lets you take this approach.

Volunteer work can lead to employment, if they like you. What better way to prove yourself?
Thank you for your post :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.