PDA

View Full Version : Am I odd?



Raaina
01-06-2010, 12:27 PM
Is it odd that I want to go and work in a war torn third world country? Because I prefer the culture and simplistic lifestyle to that of the UK :hmm:

I feel if I told people or my parents, they would tell me not to be so stupid imsad
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Rafeeq
01-06-2010, 12:31 PM
It is not odd, but you must care your parents.
Reply

Raaina
01-06-2010, 12:32 PM
But I am unhappy here :(
I still care for my parents. But I'd like to move away.
Reply

SweetCherryPie
01-06-2010, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by mystical_moon
But I am unhappy here :(
I still care for my parents. But I'd like to move away.
First of all, love the username!

Secondly, no way - I don't think that's stupid. It's your choice but I think you should think about your safety, though. Which country are you talking about, if you do not mind sharing?

As for your parents, parents will always be parents, ya know? They'll probably nag you about how ridiculous it is but then again, who knows, they might surprise you and say, go ahead and do good in that country. I'm sure you have a good head on your shoulders and you would discuss this matter with them first. Weigh the pros and cons before you make a decision :)
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
Raaina
01-06-2010, 04:33 PM
:sl: sister,

They wouldn't say, oh yeah go and do that. They would say, why don't you just get a normal job like everyone else. Honestly, it's like they had no life dreams when they were young.

I tried to give you reps, but i've ran out for today, when they start over i'll send some your way :statisfie
Reply

cat eyes
01-06-2010, 04:45 PM
it depends which country u want to live in? ive always wanted to live in saudi cos the women and men cover themselves. don't move to a country because of there culture because as you grow in your deen you will come across many problems. my friend is married to a pakistani and they went to pakistan on a family visit some months ago now. she liked it but the only problem she had was to many male inlaws surrounded her and relatives were putting pressure on her to sit with the non mahram men.. she don't know about living there because the women don't cover themselves properly either because of the fact female relatives are so close to family also the fitnah is on top of her husbands nose to so she has many doubts of moving there.
Reply

IbnAbdulHakim
01-06-2010, 04:50 PM
you simply wish to live amongst your suffering muslims and share their pain.



thats not odd, its beautiful


mashAllah
Reply

SweetCherryPie
01-06-2010, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by mystical_moon
:sl: sister,

They wouldn't say, oh yeah go and do that. They would say, why don't you just get a normal job like everyone else. Honestly, it's like they had no life dreams when they were young.

I tried to give you reps, but i've ran out for today, when they start over i'll send some your way :statisfie
:wa: sis!

Have you told them about it? I am sure you now your parents best :) but maybe, somehow they will say it's a good thing or like Ibn said, it is a beautiful thing, for you to want to work in a war-torn country. Most people would avoid it but here you are, giving them a hand in your expertise. If you were my child, I would be proud of you ... sure, I'd be worried but proud as well.

My father would probably say no but after much discussion, he'd probably see it my way and let me go. I'd definitely send him a plane ticket to come visit me! :D

Aahh so that's what reps are for ... now I know!

Thanks, sweetie!
Reply

Raaina
01-06-2010, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by SweetCherryPie
:wa: sis!

Have you told them about it? I am sure you now your parents best :) but maybe, somehow they will say it's a good thing or like Ibn said, it is a beautiful thing, for you to want to work in a war-torn country. Most people would avoid it but here you are, giving them a hand in your expertise. If you were my child, I would be proud of you ... sure, I'd be worried but proud as well.

My father would probably say no but after much discussion, he'd probably see it my way and let me go. I'd definitely send him a plane ticket to come visit me! :D

Aahh so that's what reps are for ... now I know!

Thanks, sweetie!
**** it, still can't give reps :hmm: Thanks for the advice sister :)
Reply

Raaina
01-06-2010, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
you simply wish to live amongst your suffering muslims and share their pain.



thats not odd, its beautiful


mashAllah
Thank you for showing your support :)
I'd give reps but i'm all out :hmm:
Reply

Raaina
01-06-2010, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by cat eyes
it depends which country u want to live in? ive always wanted to live in saudi cos the women and men cover themselves. don't move to a country because of there culture because as you grow in your deen you will come across many problems. my friend is married to a pakistani and they went to pakistan on a family visit some months ago now. she liked it but the only problem she had was to many male inlaws surrounded her and relatives were putting pressure on her to sit with the non mahram men.. she don't know about living there because the women don't cover themselves properly either because of the fact female relatives are so close to family also the fitnah is on top of her husbands nose to so she has many doubts of moving there.
I can always change countries if I get bored of one place :p
Thanks for the reply sis :)
Reply

Ğħαrєєвαħ
01-06-2010, 07:09 PM
Aslaamu alaaykum....
Indeed i dunno if its odd, its maybe coz your fed-up of living in the uk and got boredd. and dont like it for some reason..But Realise Insha`Allaah that Allaah put you here for a reason..maybe Allaah knew you could take it in Uk, and not in a "War torn third country"..lol i also wish that sometimes, but ive forgotten why ermm lol.

Anyways..Thank Allaah for where you are,he could have made you poor and live in that place, then why do you think he put you here? because he willed :)..

For he indeed he says Be and it is Kun faya kun-(Be and it is)!

surely i get bored of living in the place, try going on holiday, for a while wherever you may wish, and it may help you feel quite better :)..hope it helped and didnt say anything bad or wrong Insha`Allaah

Wa alaaykum Salaam
Reply

glo
01-06-2010, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by mystical_moon
Is it odd that I want to go and work in a war torn third world country? Because I prefer the culture and simplistic lifestyle to that of the UK :hmm:

I feel if I told people or my parents, they would tell me not to be so stupid imsad
What kind of work would you want to do?
There must be many aid agencies who work in such countries and would welcome workers to join them!

You could try some volunteering - just to see what it is like, and for your parents to feel more at ease.
Try VSO or Projects Abroad

I think it sounds really exciting!
I wish I had done something like that when I was young. It gets harder, when you get older and have family and work commitments.

Go for it, sis! Perhaps this is what you are called to do. :)
Reply

Allaah Knows
01-06-2010, 07:53 PM
Salaam,

I don't think that's odd at all tabaarakAllaah. May Allaah ta`aalaa reward your intentions.

Sis, sincere advice, marry a bro who also has the same intenions inshaAllaah. Keep the niyyah firm in your heart that you want to move for the sake of Allaah ta`aalaa, to benefit the ummah and keep renewing your intentions inshaALlaah.
Reply

OurIslamic
01-06-2010, 07:57 PM
I'm all for that! (just explain everything to your parents in a "gentle" manner). I'm thinking of moving to Pakistan myself since I don't like how the culture in the US is turning out. Btw, which country are you thinking of moving to?
Reply

Raaina
01-06-2010, 08:13 PM
Pakistan as it happens to. :)

I'd still like to even to somewhere like Nepal or Northern Pakistan and do some aid work or teaching English or something like that.

I can feel the drama from my parents already :P
Reply

Cabdullahi
01-06-2010, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by mystical_moon
Pakistan as it happens to. :)

I'd still like to even to somewhere like Nepal or Northern Pakistan and do some aid work or teaching English or something like that.

I can feel the drama from my parents already :P
Pakistan what a good Idea you can teach english in the morning and scoff nan and kebabs in the evening while watching cockerel fights

SICK
Reply

Ğħαrєєвαħ
01-06-2010, 08:40 PM
^^Lol wwoww...
Reply

Raaina
01-06-2010, 09:23 PM
wow, theres something I didn't do last time I went :p
Reply

Salahudeen
01-07-2010, 10:00 AM
It's not strange at all, I often feel like that, like I just want to live a simple life like the sahabba and get away from this place.
Reply

Eliphaz
01-07-2010, 11:38 AM
Mystical Moon you remind me alot of myself.

I volunteered with Projects Abroad in Ghana summer of last year and it was probably the best experience of my life. But bear in mind companies like PA are very expensive and a lot of money gets swallowed in "admin costs" (yes this is the harsh reality of many NGOs unfortunately). With hindsight I would have gone with Platform 2. With this company all you have to pay for is your passport and your travel to and from the airport. Everything else is free! It is also a very reliable company who have recieved many positive reviews, and you can read volunteer blogs on the website.

Platform 2 go to Ghana, Kenya, South Africa, Peru, India or Nepal and the next deadline for applications is 25th of January to fly out this summer.

Regarding your parents, I understand that for a girl it is even more worrying for parents. You just have to ask yourself if this is the kind of thing you really want to do more than anything else, and if it is, then convince the parent who is more likely to budge first! All the best, and if you need any advice about volunteering or going into relief work, PM me, as the latter is something I am currently looking into.

And you say "odd" like it's a bad thing! :p
Reply

Raaina
01-07-2010, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by Eliphaz
Mystical Moon you remind me alot of myself.

I volunteered with Projects Abroad in Ghana summer of last year and it was probably the best experience of my life. But bear in mind companies like PA are very expensive and a lot of money gets swallowed in "admin costs" (yes this is the harsh reality of many NGOs unfortunately). With hindsight I would have gone with Platform 2. With this company all you have to pay for is your passport and your travel to and from the airport. Everything else is free! It is also a very reliable company who have recieved many positive reviews, and you can read volunteer blogs on the website.

Platform 2 go to Ghana, Kenya, South Africa, Peru, India or Nepal and the next deadline for applications is 25th of January to fly out this summer.

Regarding your parents, I understand that for a girl it is even more worrying for parents. You just have to ask yourself if this is the kind of thing you really want to do more than anything else, and if it is, then convince the parent who is more likely to budge first! All the best, and if you need any advice about volunteering or going into relief work, PM me, as the latter is something I am currently looking into.

And you say "odd" like it's a bad thing! :p
Thank you for your post :)

Most of the volunteering posts are expensive. Thank you for the Platform2 link, sadly, i'm out of there required age range now :(

I'll keep looking around for other opportunities :statisfie
Reply

glo
01-07-2010, 05:37 PM
Would love to hear more about your stay in Ghana, Eliphaz, when you have the time.
How long did you stay and what kinds of things did you get involved in?
Reply

Supreme
01-07-2010, 05:54 PM
There's actually someone from my church who I still keep in contact with who's out in South Africa helping the impoverished community build a school and church. It's just basic things such as an education and religion that these people have no access to. She's really making a difference out there, and however cliche it is to see young African children barely dressed with big smiles on their faces in a classroom, it is always very nice to see there are people out there doing their best to improve lives. I've never had the 'guts' to go out and do anything like it myself, though. I'd rather stick to the UK and be bored albeit safe whilst giving to a charity.
Reply

OurIslamic
01-07-2010, 07:47 PM
Sister Mystical,

Just wondering, would you be interested in moderating on the forum on http://OurIslamic.com ?

(This offer is open to anyone else who is interested as well).
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!