/* */

PDA

View Full Version : what is istikhara??

mahvish00786
01-06-2010, 07:49 PM
:sl:

i am at a stage where i am falling in love more and more day by day with Islam. Coming from a pakistani background, as a child i was only taught the most basics of islam, what their parents been taught them, which was very basic infact even little than basic. for example covering ur head is a sign of muslim girl and they wear headscarves which are loose showing their neck and hair, infact u can see through them, but as i grew older i found out what the real hijab is.
But anyway i wanted to do istkihara for some reason and asked family, they told me it was a dream u have, after asking around i was told it was when u read a Su'rat from the Qu'ran and go to sleep, and in fact some people even told me there is no such thing.

could u please help me out.

jazak'allah

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Insaanah
01-06-2010, 07:55 PM

See this link. You may find it helpful inshaAllah:

http://www.islamicboard.com/advice-s...-guidance.html

May Allah help you and guide you and keep you steadfast on the right path. Ameen.

islamlover_girl
01-06-2010, 07:57 PM
Asalaamu 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

What is Istikharah?

Many times you be stuck in some sort of situation and you hear brothers and sisters shouting out 'do istikharah!' You've never heard of that word before, or you've heard of it but you've never known how to perform it?

You have questions in your head but you might feel too embarassed to ask, or you may not have the right person to ask.

You think to yourself; -

What is istikharah? What is the proper method of performing it? Is it true that for Istikharah to be valid, one must experience some kind of a dream indicating the proper course of action to follow?

Insha Allaah (God willing) you will learn abit more about istikharah and how to perform it. By the end of reading this article, if you still need a deeper understanding - then please dont be afraid to ask or voice your opinion. Learning is an important factor in islam so please dont be afraid to ask. Jazak Allaah khayr.

Istikharah Prayer

Istikharah prayer is a two-rak`ah non-obligatory Prayer by which one seeks Allah's guidance when he is confused or can't choose between permissible alternatives. In this case, the Muslim should pray to Allah the Almighty to guide him to whatever He sees fit for him and make his heart satisfied with the decision.

In the Prayer, one asks Allah to facilitate the matter if it is good and turn it away if it is not. Thus, after praying Istikharah, one should decide on a course of action, and trust that if the matter does not work out, it is because it was not good for him. One should not then feel disappointed if things did not go as hoped.

Istikharah is only prescribed for matters deemed permissible by the Shari`ah and not for any issue that plainly opposes Allah subhanahu wa ta'aala's Laws. It is when you have two permissible options and you do not know which is better for you that you should resort to Allah the Almighty to seek His guidance.

Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states:

“Istikharah means, "seeking the best course of action." In Islam, it is used for approaching Allah through Prayer for guidance in a case when one cannot make up his mind. It should, however, be pointed out, that Istikharah applies strictly to cases that are halal (lawful or permissible), since there cannot be a question of choice concerning matters that are considered haram (unlawful or impermissible).

When faced with important decisions in life, a believer is persuaded to use all of his Allah-given resources, as well as to consult people who are known for their knowledge, piety and sound opinion. After having done so, he can turn to Allah for guidance.

Humans are limited in knowledge, and Allah alone possesses perfect knowledge. Allah has told us that He alone possesses the keys to all that is good. He has also promised to help us if we turn to Him earnestly and sincerely.

We see around us people doing all sorts of things for confirmation when faced with important decisions in their life. The Pre-Islamic Arabs resorted to the practice of divining with arrows or the stirring of birds. In modern times, even some of the most prominent people consult astrologers, psychics, gurus or so called spiritual masters. Islam teaches that since Allah alone knows the unseen realities, and He alone is aware of what is good for us in an absolute sense, we must seek His help.

Our beloved Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be on him) taught us how to do so. He told us that if we are faced with decisions in life and are unable to make up our mind, we must approach Allah through Prayer. This Prayer is called Prayer of Istikharah. It is a Sunnah or a highly recommended act. The specific method of doing it, is as follows:
First, one must offer a Prayer of two rak`ahs with the intention of seeking guidance from Allah. Then he should offer the following supplication:

"Allahumma inni astakhiruka bi`ilmika, wa astaqdiruka bi-qudratika, wa as'aluka min fadlika al-azim, fa'innaka taqdiru wala aqdiru, wa ta`lamu wa la a`lamu, wa anta `allamu-l-ghuyub.

Allahumma, in kunta ta`lamu anna hadhal-amra [here mention your case] khairun li fi dini wa ma`ashi wa `aqibati 'amri (or 'ajili amri wa`ajilihi) faqdurhu li wa yas-sirhu li thumma barik li fihi.

Wa in ta`lamu anna hadhal-amra sharrun li fi deeni wa ma`ashi wa `aqibati 'amri (or `ajili amri wa ajilihi) fasrifhu `anni was-rifni `anhu, waqdur liya al-khaira haithu kana thumma 'ardini bihi.”

(O Allah, I seek Your help in finding out the best course of action (in this matter) by invoking Your knowledge; I ask You to empower me, and I beseech Your favor. You alone have the absolute power, while I have no power. You alone know it all, while I do not. You are the One Who knows the hidden mysteries. O Allah, if You know this thing (I am embarking on) [here mention your case] is good for me in my religion, worldly life, and my ultimate destiny, then facilitate it for me, and then bless me in my action. If, on the other hand, You know this thing is detrimental for me in my religion, worldly life, and ultimate destiny, turn it away from me, and turn me away from it, and decree what is good for me, wherever it may be, and make me content with it.)
After having done so, he should follow the decision that he is strongly inclined to. If he feels no such inclination, then he should choose one of the options; he can rest assured that Allah will guide his steps. It has been reported that the Prophet, peace be upon him, said, "One who asks Allah for guidance in choosing the best course of action will never be a loser."

It is not at all necessary for a person to have visions or dreams following Istikharah. However, if a person does experience a vision or dream, and he feels strongly about it, he should follow it.” (Source: www.islam.ca)

Imam An-Nawawi (may Allah bless his soul) adds:

“After making Istikharah, a person must do what he or she is wholeheartedly inclined to do and feels good about doing and should not insist on doing what he had desired to do before making the Istikharah. And if his or her feelings change, he or she should leave what he or she had intended to do, for otherwise he or she is not leaving the choice to Allah, and would not be honest in seeking help from Allah's power and knowledge. Sincerity in seeking Allah's choice means that one should completely abandon what one desired oneself.”

Also, Dr. Muzammil Siddiqi, former head of the Islamic Society of North America (ISNA) and member of the Fiqh Council of North America, states:

“Doing Istikharah does not mean that one should not use one's reason or experience. Allah the Exalted has commanded us in the Qur'an that we should use our intellect and seek knowledge. If we do not know something, we should ask those who know. But human reason has limitations. We do not know everything; only Allah does know all things. When we are faced with a dilemma then we should turn to Allah to seek His guidance.

After offering Istikharah, you may do whatever is best in your understanding or whatever convinces you. You may repeat the du`a' of Istikharah several times if you are still hesitant. It is not necessary to dream about anything and you do not have to wait for an answer in your dreams.

Most of the hadiths on this subject do not talk about any dream. However, the famous Hanafi jurist Ibn `Abdeen has suggested in his Hashiyah that one should make the Istikharah Prayer before sleeping, and should sleep after having performed Wudu'. The face should be towards Makkah. If one sees something white or green in one's dream, then the answer is yes, but if one sees something dark or red then the answer is no.

Other jurists of Shafi`i, Maliki, Hanbali and Ja`fari schools say that one should do that which is most convincing. According to Imam Malik, other people can also perform Istikharah on behalf of someone.

There is nothing strange about dreams. If you did not see any dreams, then it does not mean that dreams do not occur. After the Istikharah Prayer, some people may see a dream and some may not. We know that some of our dreams become true. Some time we see something in a dream and it happens exactly the same way later. As there are good dreams and bad dreams, so there are also true and false dreams. The interpretation of dreams is a special knowledge that some people have. In the Qur'an many dreams are mentioned. Prophet Ibrahim (peace be upon him) saw in his dream that he was sacrificing his son. Prophet Yusuf (peace be upon him) had dreams and Allah also gave him the knowledge of interpreting dreams. Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) also sometimes interpreted the dreams of his Companions.”

Allah Almighty knows best.

Source.

Other Questions.

Salatul Istikharah: Any Sign of Response?

Istikharah Prayer: Rules & Signs of Response

more info:

Question #11981: Istikhaarah prayer.

Question #2217: How to pray istikhaarah.

Audio Lecture on Istikhaarah:

Inner Dimensions of Istikharah - Part 01. [Abdul Bary Yahya]

Inner Dimensions of Istikharah - Part 02. [Abdul Bary Yahya]

source: http://www.audioislam.com/?whatsnew

To download:

Right Click - Save Link As/Save Target As

maisha
01-07-2010, 10:17 PM
so is it that sum ppl fink its diss dream an sum ppl fink ih dont exist? ok i have never herd of it.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
glo
07-30-2010, 09:08 AM
I was going to start a new thread on Istikhara, but then I found this one, so I will post here instead.

I am interested to understand how people receive their sign of guidance after performing Istikhara, and how they can be sure that it is a sign from Allah (as opposed to their own desires and wishful thinking, I suppose)?

Can people give examples of guidance the received after performing Istikhara, and how they interpreted it?

Thank you

Ramadhan
07-30-2010, 09:36 AM
Last year, I was torn between two job offers.
It was a very difficult decision to make because both jobs offer really great things and I just could not make up my mind.

So I performed at least a couple of shalat istikharah and when I made sujood (prostration), I asked (by heart) Allah SWT for guidance. During supplications (prayer) after the shalat I also asked Allah SWT for guidance (this time in soft voice) that He may guide me towards job which will give me benefits in this world and hereafter (a job which only benefits me in this world is of no use for me) and the job that will always help me to be in the straight path.

Things was not immediately clearer right after, and there was no "aha!" moment, but around a week or two weeks later somehow my heart was set on one job which I finally take up. Alhamdulillah, I have been loving my job since, through this job I have been able to make many good (pious) friends, through the mushalla (prayer room) in my office building I have joined a couple of Islamic classes and Qur'an tajweed class, I have been able to do all my basic duties as muslims and more!, and....... I was able to search for and JOINED Islamic Board !!!!!!

so there you go :)

Coincidently, just three days ago I performed shalat istikharah because I was in the middle of buying a house, and yesterday I made the purchase. Alhamdulillah!

glo
07-30-2010, 12:19 PM
Thanks for sharing, naidamar.
That sounds interesting, and I relate to your story.

If you don't get a sense of certainty after a while, would you repeat istikharah again, or would you assume that it was not Allah's will?

Congratulations on your house purchase. :)

Muslim Woman
07-30-2010, 12:44 PM
Salaam/Peace

format_quote Originally Posted by glo

...I am interested to understand how people receive their sign of guidance after performing Istikhara, and how they can be sure that it is a sign from Allah (as opposed to their own desires and wishful thinking, I suppose)?
I was determined to do something , then I offered Istekhara and had a scary dream. So , I did not do that .

I heard of someone elses dream after offering Istekhara prayer. She saw blood in milk .

I read that Istekhara can be offered up to 7 times.

Afzalsheikh
02-16-2018, 11:43 AM
Many people ask the question that what is Istikhara? Istikhara intends to look for goodness from Allah really; it is a request in the court of Almighty Allah to direct me that which of the accompanying demonstration is great or advantageous for me and which act or work is awful or can cause me harm in future.
https://www.-----------------/rohaniilaj/istikhara

azc
02-16-2018, 12:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Afzalsheikh
Many people ask the question that what is Istikhara? Istikhara intends to look for goodness from Allah really; it is a request in the court of Almighty Allah to direct me that which of the accompanying demonstration is great or advantageous for me and which act or work is awful or can cause me harm in future.https://www.-----------------/rohaniilaj/istikhara
Some shaykh have been reported to involve in istikhara business.

azc
02-16-2018, 07:08 PM
Many people ask the question that what is Istikhara? Istikhara intends to look for goodness from Allah really; it is a request in the court of Almighty Allah to direct me that which of the accompanying demonstration is great or advantageous for me and which act or work is awful or can cause me harm in future.
https://www.-----------------/rohaniilaj/istikhara

this link of dawate islami offers istikhara services but they don't disclose fee structure...?

Btw, can any stranger do istikhara...?

And

Can he charges the fee for this service...?

Mahir Adnan
02-16-2018, 07:15 PM
https://islamqa.info/en/2217
https://islamqa.info/en/11981

How to pray istikhaarah - islamqa.info
Assalam alaikum. How do I pray salat al istikharaat what times and are there special dua that I can read for different cicumstances...

muslim brother
02-16-2018, 07:27 PM

Afzalsheikh
03-03-2018, 05:45 AM
No charges and free istikhara service.

azc
03-03-2018, 07:26 AM
No charges and free istikhara service.
Thanks for this information.......

If you know, please tell how many people per day request dawate islami centre to perform istikhara for them...?.

......Thanks in advance...

Afzalsheikh
03-03-2018, 08:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by azc
Thanks for this information.......

If you know, please tell how many people per day request dawate islami centre to perform istikhara for them...?.

......Thanks in advance...

http://departs.-----------------/html...on-english.php

- - - Updated - - -

azc
03-03-2018, 09:50 AM
@afzal shaykh:
''It is better to do istakhara seven (7) times. If you have received an answer, you may stop doing istikhara. You do not have to continue to do isitkhara for 7 days. It is better that right after reciting the supplication, given above, sleep with ablution (people who cannot keep the ablution for longer times due to health problems do not have to worry about ablution before falling asleep) facing the direction of the Qibla (facing the Qibla is not required but it is a Sunnat of our beloved Prophet Peace Be Upon Him). It is better to recite salutations (durood/ salawat) on the Prophet Allah’s Grace and Peace be upon him before and after the above Dua''
https://www.zawaj.com/askbilqis/sala...ara-in-arabic/ ....... it means almost 1666 persons/day are engaged in performing istikhara for other people without any fee...?

rafhelp
03-24-2018, 03:34 AM
istekahra is dubious but worth a try if you need help in making a decision. but the problem is how you INTERPRET the results. You see you might do it and then have a dream but then misinterpretate it and take wrong action.

Any action/choice should be made primarily on logic/facts/experience/reason and advice from elders/wise/piouse people istekhara should be used to show your resolution to find best solution only to aid you and guide you not to give you the solution 100%

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.