/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Google's 'Islam is' bug!

Shahreaz
01-07-2010, 08:12 PM

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
AlHoda
01-07-2010, 08:14 PM
:sl:

And what about Islam? :D

Shahreaz
01-07-2010, 08:16 PM
looks like Islam doesn't exists according to google!

Italianguy
01-07-2010, 08:32 PM
hmmmmm:hmm:, that is odd? I tried it to. Same thing comes up? if you hit the search button though, a milion things come up.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Dagless
01-07-2010, 10:02 PM
If you type just "Islam" you get lots of suggestions.

Italianguy
01-07-2010, 10:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ferown
If you type just "Islam" you get lots of suggestions.
I think what he is saying though, as you are typing in Islam, it doesn't auto detect and find stuff, if you hit the search button it finds plenty:D

Rabi'ya
01-07-2010, 10:15 PM

its funny, but I typed in Google is......

the forth one that comes up says "google is watching you"

rofl.

Dagless
01-07-2010, 10:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Italianguy
I think what he is saying though, as you are typing in Islam, it doesn't auto detect and find stuff, if you hit the search button it finds plenty:D
It does autodetect after you type "Islam", but before you type "is".

Italianguy
01-07-2010, 10:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ferown
It does autodetect after you type "Islam", but before you type "is".
oh...sorry, i will have to try that.

Vito
01-07-2010, 10:18 PM
Some people are suggesting since Islam already has "is" in it, that is whats causing it to do that.

Italianguy
01-07-2010, 10:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by -Kai-
Some people are suggesting since Islam already has "is" in it, that is whats causing it to do that.
Came right up for me too.

Beardo
01-07-2010, 10:19 PM
Wow! This is true! I just checked it myself. Allahu Akbar!

aadil77
01-07-2010, 11:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
Wow! This is true! I just checked it myself. Allahu Akbar!
lol don't get too excited its not some miracle, you still find loads of anti islam crap on google

czgibson
01-07-2010, 11:28 PM
Greetings,

Weird. Google says it is not censoring searches but that this is a bug. I wonder who or what is behind it?

Peace

maisha
01-07-2010, 11:29 PM
i dont get wat that meenz lol:)
(u fink im dum i no):)

Italianguy
01-07-2010, 11:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by maisha
i dont get wat that meenz lol:)
(u fink im dum i no):)
u not dum, I don't know what a bug is either?.......spiders?+o( ewwwwwwww

lol

Vito
01-08-2010, 12:05 AM
A bug is basically just another word for error :p

Italianguy
01-08-2010, 12:10 AM
A bug is basically just another word for error :p
ahhhhhhh ok, I get it now.(duh) :p

Sooooo no spiders right?;D

Ramadhan
01-08-2010, 04:20 AM
I think someone has been tampering with Google program, which is quite an achievement. Must have been some inside programmers who are highly ranked.

Strangely, if you type the two founders of Google,
Larry Page is
and
Sergey Brin is

you get
Larry Page isRael
Sergey Brin isRael

;D

Btw, Larry page and sergey brin are jews.

Ramadhan
01-08-2010, 04:22 AM
From http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/20...-what-islam-is

Every now and then, someone spots an oddity in Google's suggestions. Some are funny. Some are disturbing, and some are just weird. Alex Wilhelm at The Next Web has discovered an interesting behavior in Google Suggest involving religion.

With most major religions, you will get suggestions from Google when you type in a query like "example is". If you type "christianity is", or "judaism is" you will get suggestions (which some will no doubt find controversial in themselves), but when you type "islam is", you get nothing.

To be fair, there are other religions that don't yield suggestions, but all of the biggest ones besides Islam do.

The phenomenon has raised a few eyebrows. Wilhem himself says, "Google is systematically blocking, it seems, all search suggestions for Islam. Why? To remove the chance of an adherent of the faith from being offended by a perhaps severe search suggestion? Why not treat all search terms equally?"

He thinks that either "A: Google is horribly broken and this is evidence of that or B: They seem to be tampering with results."

Danny Sullivan, one of the most influential voices in the search industry weighed in on the conversation, saying, "Google is horribly broken. That’s my call. And they do such a piss poor job explaining why these types of things happen (sometimes not even trying at all) that it’s easier to believe B, that they’re tampering with search suggestions."

He points to a piece he wrote about Google Suggest and Climategate, "Many people are convinced that Google messed with the suggestions for that," says Sullivan. "Google was adamant they did not. I still believe they didn’t. I also can only tell you from covering Google over the years that things like this are far more likely to be because they are indeed screw ups than that they are intentionally aiming to do so."

A query for "islam is" returns about 3,140,000 results. Others have pointed out that there are no suggestions for queries like "Larry Page is" or "Sergey Brin is", although Sullivan is careful to point out that there are plenty for "Google is," and they're not all the most positive things in the world.

-Elle-
01-08-2010, 05:11 AM
Interesting article ^^^
thanks for sharing,

I had to try it for myself to believe it...and...there are stranger things in life.lol.

Raaina
01-08-2010, 08:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ~SilverOrchid~

its funny, but I typed in Google is......

the forth one that comes up says "google is watching you"

rofl.
rofl :laugh:

Do you think google really is watching you :eek:

Rabi'ya
01-08-2010, 11:19 AM
rofl

Do you think google really is watching you
:raging: maybe

PersiaBeFree
01-08-2010, 01:02 PM
Very interesting.

The auto-detect tells you what other people have searched for--as opposed to what Google will actually return in search results.

Note all the insults that people used to search for other religions.

It is reasonable to assume that a search beginning 'Islam is' would reveal the same kinds of insults.

Google is applying censorship in favor of Islam.

That is regrettable, because censorship--whatever the noble intentions--is by its nature a distortion of truth.

Nothing should ever distort any truth.

Speak The Truth.

tango92
01-08-2010, 08:12 PM
it must be jews trying to hide the truth as usual !

lol

Vito
01-08-2010, 09:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PersiaBeFree
Very interesting.

The auto-detect tells you what other people have searched for--as opposed to what Google will actually return in search results.

Note all the insults that people used to search for other religions.

It is reasonable to assume that a search beginning 'Islam is' would reveal the same kinds of insults.

Google is applying censorship in favor of Islam.

That is regrettable, because censorship--whatever the noble intentions--is by its nature a distortion of truth.

Nothing should ever distort any truth.

Speak The Truth.
If you think google is using censorship in our favor, then they sure are doing a bad job at it. It doesn't take much effort to find negative sites about the religion. After all, it is a search engine. I also fail to see how this is distorting the truth?

PersiaBeFree
01-09-2010, 02:28 PM
If you think google is using censorship in our favor, then they sure are doing a bad job at it. It doesn't take much effort to find negative sites about the religion. After all, it is a search engine. I also fail to see how this is distorting the truth?
Google is not responsible for other people's sites (which it finds) but may feel more responsible for that 'suggestions' drop-down--which they do have coding control over.

And yes, no censor can ever do a good job because the truth always comes out.

It's distorting the truth because it hides people's opinions of Islam, at the same time as it reveals those opinions for other religions. The truth is that all major religions have negative opinions expressed about them. Islam is not exempt, and to imply that it is is to tell a lie. A lie is the opposite of the truth.

Vito
01-09-2010, 03:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PersiaBeFree
Google is not responsible for other people's sites (which it finds) but may feel more responsible for that 'suggestions' drop-down--which they do have coding control over.

And yes, no censor can ever do a good job because the truth always comes out.

It's distorting the truth because it hides people's opinions of Islam, at the same time as it reveals those opinions for other religions. The truth is that all major religions have negative opinions expressed about them. Islam is not exempt, and to imply that it is is to tell a lie. A lie is the opposite of the truth.
"It's distorting the truth because it hides people's opinions of Islam".

What?? Intentional or not, if you want to search for "Islam is false" or whatever it is you're looking for, what is stopping you from actually typing it in the search field and hitting the search button? If there is anything out there, it will show up. Again, I still fail to see how this is distorting the truth just based on some auto-complete feature. If you want to learn about the truth, go to an Islamic website or hey, how about an Islamic forum and read/ask questions. Don't rely on some auto feature to give you the truth. Because as you've said, they are people's opinions.

crayon
01-09-2010, 03:28 PM
I tried "Isfihan is" and "Israel is" and suggestions came up, so it must be something else.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
01-09-2010, 03:32 PM
This is some geeky stuff you got here ;)..keep it up you geeky people :D! *Thumbs up*

Vito
01-09-2010, 03:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
I tried "Isfihan is" and "Israel is" and suggestions came up, so it must be something else.
Yea I noticed that as well. I'm guessing it used to work and all this just recently started happening because all these complaints look pretty recent. In any case, if google is scared of retaliation / pro Islam / run by bin laden / are terrorists / whatever other reason people are claiming it to be, I would of imagined them doing this a long time ago.

sirajstc
01-26-2010, 04:15 AM
Allahu Akbar

//-Asif-\\
01-26-2010, 04:28 AM
Hmm I just put Islam is on google and there was no glitch there was the same stuff many of which were the same as the other religions.

crayon
01-26-2010, 04:19 PM
^Eh, just tried it.:><: Guess they got rid of the bug.

Life_Is_Short
01-26-2010, 04:56 PM
I typed 'Islam is a' and this is what came up.

Danah
01-26-2010, 05:21 PM
It depends on the place you are googling from people!

I got totally different results.

sur
01-26-2010, 08:15 PM
there's answer available from "google" on this issue, search it. It's something like, keeping in mind muslims aggressive response to such, they avoided such "suggestions"...

sirajstc
01-27-2010, 05:33 AM
Google fixed it now :(

Fטлку
01-27-2010, 07:01 PM
^ "Islam is" has all good suggestions in only Indonesia and Pakistan.
Bahrain, UAE, Saudi Arabia, Jordon etc. have the same :hmm:

(Yes, I actually checked :X)

Ramadhan
01-29-2010, 08:23 AM
Google has fixed it now :(

I google (from Indonesia) "Islam is..." and now I get the same filthy suggestions as when I typed "christianity is.."

Blackpool
01-29-2010, 09:17 AM
Yawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnn!

GreyKode
01-29-2010, 09:46 AM
AWWW....Too bad for google, now they must have lost bin-laden's financial support.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.