/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Humor or Humour

Beardo
01-07-2010, 10:47 PM
This is a debate...

Americans Vs. Brits

Americans spell it humor whereas you brits spell it humour. When I type "humour" the red dotted line comes under it...

Shall we call for a re-name?

Vote and comment please. :)

EDIT:

Here's another question: What country are you from and how do you spell it?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
OurIslamic
01-07-2010, 10:49 PM
I spell it "humor", since I was born in the US. It's faster to type, so we win!

Beardo
01-07-2010, 10:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by OurIslamic
I spell it "humor", since I was born in the US. It's faster to type, so we win!
Yeeeeeeee!! :statisfie

I do think Humour will win though... Just because I believe we have more Brits on these premises than Americans.

Here's another question: What country are you from and how do you spell it?

OurIslamic
01-07-2010, 10:54 PM
Maybe, ALL Americans need to represent, lol.

Also, the reason why there are more English people on the forum is because your servers are hosted in the UK, therefore, your SERPS are better in the UK than the US.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
maisha
01-07-2010, 10:56 PM
they also spell colour like: color
lol :)

Insaanah
01-07-2010, 11:02 PM
:sl:

The language is English.

Came from England.

Original English spelling: humour.

In my humble opinion, anything else is a corruption of the original spelling!

P.S. Don't like corruption....

OurIslamic
01-07-2010, 11:04 PM
We're just making it more efficient :).

Rafeeq
01-08-2010, 04:58 AM
It is not some thing to vote. English is the language of Brits, hence, what they spell is always considered correct.

If a majority of people start insisting to say that there is no sun in a very sunny day, does it vanish. No, it is there but those people are not accepting. Simple.

PS: I am not from UK, LOL.

Vito
01-08-2010, 05:02 AM
One thing I dislike is how they call football (you know, the kind you actually play with your feet) soccer. But yea, I spell it humor.

BlackMamba
01-08-2010, 05:36 AM
humOr
12char

Ramadhan
01-08-2010, 07:18 AM
I voted for humor, because here in Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian language) we also use the word "humor" :)

Khaldun
01-08-2010, 07:52 AM

Humor is an innovation aswell as a deviation from the origin which is Humour.

The language is English, if you ask some Americans what they speak they will actually tell you American.

This does not have anything to do with the fact that I live in England. lol

syilla
01-08-2010, 08:01 AM
Malaysian english originally follows the british english...so it is of course humour, colour, analyser, organiser and etc :D

north_malaysian
01-08-2010, 08:10 AM
Humour!! in Malaysia it's "Humour"

Ramadhan
01-08-2010, 08:50 AM
In Bahasa Indonesia, it is pronounced as "who-more"

☆ღUmm Uthmanღ☆
01-08-2010, 10:03 AM
Its 'HUMOUR' in South/Latin America!

Misz_Muslimah
01-08-2010, 04:46 PM
^ Same here..

BintAbee
01-08-2010, 06:30 PM
Humour without a doubt and I'm from South Africa :coolious: and it's also colour, anaemia, encyclopaedia, etc. :p

Muezzin
01-08-2010, 06:43 PM
Humour.

In spelling, as in current international politics, America is wrong.

:p

Banu_Hashim
01-08-2010, 07:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by OurIslamic
We're just making it more efficient :).
Your spelling is an innovation (bid'ah)!!! ;D :p

I go with "Humour" as it's the original spelling of the word and how it should be spelt.

afzalaung
01-08-2010, 07:07 PM
voted for HUMOUR.

regardless of where i am located...I'm speaking ENGlish...hence..i should insist on authentic English spelling...rather than her *******ised variant, Americanglish.

Güven
01-08-2010, 07:11 PM
In the Netherlands they spell it HUMOR.

Ar-RaYYan
01-08-2010, 07:17 PM
^ and you guys tend to have an american accent along with most of Europe!

Anywas it's originally spelt as 'humour' so we should keep it that way!

Muezzin
01-08-2010, 07:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ar-RaYYan

Anywas it's originally spelt as 'homour' so we should it that way!
Was that a typo or a joke?

Grofica
01-08-2010, 07:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Insane Insaan

The language is English.

Came from England.

Original English spelling: humour.

In my humble opinion, anything else is a corruption of the original spelling!

P.S. Don't like corruption....

we will spell it humour when they drive on the right side of the road... I will give it to them it is ENGLISH but hey we made the car. ha ha ha ha ha ha hah aha ha h aha

Banu_Hashim
01-08-2010, 07:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grofica
we will spell it humour when they drive on the right side of the road... I will give it to them it is ENGLISH but hey we made the car. ha ha ha ha ha ha hah aha ha h aha
OK. We'll stop using cars if you stop speaking English. Deal? :P

EDIT: And TECHNICALLY there is no straight forward answer. The history of the automobile goes way back to the 15th century when Leonardo da Vinci was creating designs and models for transport vehicles. But the English language was definitely developed in England :p.

Khaldun
01-09-2010, 01:04 AM

This seems like it has turned into a bash america thread, join in everyone it's great fun! lol

That is what happens when you learn english through television!

Hamza Asadullah
01-09-2010, 01:21 AM
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, From England and it is obviously spelt Humour! Where did the English language derive from? England of course!

I think this thread should have been called: "Why do Americans pronounce and spell words so funny"

tw009
01-09-2010, 02:01 AM
^ haha.. and I find that British people have a funny accent

Beardo
01-09-2010, 02:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Khaldun

This seems like it has turned into a bash america thread, join in everyone it's great fun! lol

That is what happens when you learn english through television!
You people in UK/Arabia always bashing us about. Like how you make fun of how we digest ourselves "on a chair". :exhausted

I need to find something against you brits too.

Well, Brits curse and drink much more than Americans do. That's a known fact which you cannot deny!

Hamza Asadullah
01-09-2010, 02:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
You people in UK/Arabia always bashing us about. Like how you make fun of how we digest ourselves "on a chair". :exhausted

I need to find something against you brits too.

Well, Brits curse and drink much more than Americans do. That's a known fact which you cannot deny!

Well Americans are the fattest people on earth thats a fact! Hey want fries with that?

:wa:

Woodrow
01-09-2010, 02:16 AM
Both are wrong, the proper spelling is HUMER at least that is how those of us who are fluent in "typographical error" spell it.

Donia
01-09-2010, 02:44 AM
I voted for humor... not that it helped much. :)

Karl
01-09-2010, 04:29 AM
I vote we dump English and go back to Latin as that and Greek is the source of all the intelligent words in English and it would also not offend people so much who hate the Americans and English using English in their lands. English is such a vulgar tongue too.

Old French- humor, French- humeur
Latin (h)umor-(h)umere to be moist, the fluid of the animal body.
How it got to mirth I am not sure, maybe people perspire when they are happy.
So the English spelling is a mongrelizing of French and Latin I suspect.
The Americans are correct. English has a lot of flaws so the Americans have used objective reforms as they have no sentimental love of the Language like lots of Brits do.

Hamza Asadullah
01-09-2010, 04:37 AM

Its funny the way Americans say Aluuuminum. Its Aluminium!!! We English set the standards and you Americans are supposed to follow!

Oh and it's Trousers NOT pants!!!

At least they spell burger correctly! Maybe they'll change that too Burgur or Burgar or something totally different! You never know with the Americans.

Beardo
01-09-2010, 04:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamza81

Its funny the way Americans say Aluuuminum. Its Aluminium!!! We English set the standards and you Americans are supposed to follow!

Oh and it's Trousers NOT pants!!!

At least they spelt burger right! Maybe they'll change that too Burgur or Burgar or something totally different! You never know with the Americans.

It's PANTS! Trousers is such a desi thing to say. ugh.

This is very minor compared to how much you brits CUSS! You guys cuss like no OTHER!

Hamza Asadullah
01-09-2010, 04:45 AM

This is very minor compared to how much you brits CUSS! You guys cuss like no OTHER!

Asthaghfirullah brother pants or kaacha is what one wears underneath the trousers. Cuss? You mean as in swear or ridicule?

tango92
01-09-2010, 08:29 AM
hey Rashad up for a game of FOOTBALL later?

Banu_Hashim
01-09-2010, 11:17 AM
^ Yeah the type you play with your FEET. :p

☆ღUmm Uthmanღ☆
01-09-2010, 11:25 AM
This thread turned out to be more than 'HUMOUR'!!:skeleton:

Banu_Hashim
01-09-2010, 11:25 AM
Wellllll... That is because the British ruled the Indian subcontinent for almost 100 years. And they managed to pick the proper name for things, i.e. trousers :)

☆ღUmm Uthmanღ☆
01-09-2010, 11:30 AM
^Its 'PANTS' in South/Latin America...& we were once ruled by Brits..:skeleton:

Banu_Hashim
01-09-2010, 11:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mujaheedah
^Its 'PANTS' in South/Latin America...& we were once ruled by Brits..:skeleton:
:O The British Empire obviously didn't do a good job on you guys!! :p

Either that or the influence from America is just tooo great:hmm:

☆ღUmm Uthmanღ☆
01-09-2010, 11:37 AM
^^Mayb coz we ran them out of our country!!:skeleton:

NO AMERICAN influence here either!!

We're an INDEPENDENT nation!!

im gone from this thread...its too+o(

:hiding:

Fטлку
01-09-2010, 11:39 AM
Voted for Humor.... :D

But actually I use both :p

Asthaghfirullah brother pants or kaacha is what one wears underneath the trousers. Cuss? You mean as in swear or ridicule?
Really? ^o)

Caller الداعي
01-09-2010, 12:05 PM
its neither ......... its HOMER!!!! lol

☆ღUmm Uthmanღ☆
01-09-2010, 12:27 PM
^^looooooooool...ure genius!! :p

Ar-RaYYan
01-09-2010, 10:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tw009
^ haha.. and I find that British people have a funny accent
Talking about accents i have noticed that people in Britain can perfectly understand American accent but why does people in America or its neighbours find us little harder to understand even though our accent is much plainer?

Banu_Hashim
01-09-2010, 10:50 PM
Talking about accents i have noticed that people in Britain can perfectly understand American accent but why does people in America or its neighbours find us little harder to understand even though our accent is much plainer?
One of life's mysteries!! Along with bigfoot and the loch ness monster...

Woodrow
01-09-2010, 11:05 PM
A lot will depend on what region or even state a person id from. The people in the New Englsnd states speak very similar to the British English, but the further you get from the New England states the less it sounds like British English and the greater difficulty there is for the people to understand British English. A person from Southwest Texas can hardly understand somebody from Massachusetts It is almost justified to say that in North America we speak at least 50 different forms of English and the Canadians have quite a few variations also.

I suspect you would have difficulty in understanding the English spoken in Lafayette, Louisiana

Here is Justin Wilson from Louisiana. The people in Lafayette really do speak like this:

Media Tags are no longer supported

Banu_Hashim
01-09-2010, 11:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
A lot will depend on what region or even state a person id from. The people in the New Englsnd states speak very similar to the British English, but the further you get from the New England states the less it sounds like British English and the greater difficulty there is for the people to understand British English. A person from Southwest Texas can hardly understand somebody from Massachusetts It is almost justified to say that in North America we speak at least 50 different forms of English and the Canadians have quite a few variations also.

I suspect you would have difficulty in understanding the English spoken in Lafayette, Louisiana
But the boston accent is nothing like the English accent. And that's in New England? Actually, the only slight similarity might be the dropping of the "r" and that's only with RP (received pronounciation) really.

Actually, I've always thought the Californian accent (which is as far away from New England as you can get!) to be the most neutral and understandable.

BlackMamba
01-09-2010, 11:51 PM

This is true. British people swear much much more than Americans. My cousins from there cuss like its nothing. A hafiz from england came to lead taraweeh a few years back and he cussed a lot. It's ridiculous.

Muezzin
01-10-2010, 12:01 PM
Trousers.

Pants.

If anything, 'Pants' is more of a desi thing to say because in, say, Urdu, the word for trousers is 'Pent'. :p

Probably.

I personally am pretty mild-mannered.

format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Yeah.

In the UK I have trouble understanding Geordies sometimes. Usually because I'm trying to keep a straight face.

I'm sorry, but some accents are just inherently funny. Geordies, Scousers, Brummies...

Thick Scottish accents are a little difficult sometimes. Especially if they sound like Rab C Nesbitt.

Media Tags are no longer supported

What the...?

Here is Justin Wilson from Louisiana. The people in Lafayette really do speak like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjIJfr2yBWQ
I could understand most of that. Now and then he seemed to mumble, but the dialect is okay if you pay attention. I guarantee!

SweetCherryPie
01-10-2010, 12:26 PM
Malaysian here and I speak and spell the British way. Proud of it too.

Americans spell everything the simplest way .. I suppose because they are lazy ...

Hehe .. kidding! ;D

Hamza Asadullah
01-10-2010, 04:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Shakoor15
This is true. British people swear much much more than Americans. My cousins from there cuss like its nothing. A hafiz from england came to lead taraweeh a few years back and he cussed a lot. It's ridiculous.

Also another thing which a few people have mentioned is that Americans tend not to tell you things to your face or tend not to tell anyone straight up what they think of you whereas the British are more straight up about things. Can't really confirm that because ive never really known an American properly. Maybe some Americans here can be 'straight up' and tell me if this is true?

Woodrow
01-10-2010, 05:04 PM

Also another thing which a few people have mentioned is that Americans tend not to tell you things to your face or tend not to tell anyone straight up what they think of you whereas the British are more straight up about things. Can't really confirm that because ive never really known an American properly. Maybe some Americans here can be 'straight up' and tell me if this is true?

Depends on where the American is from. New Yorkers tend to give short, sharp opinions that are often quite blunt. Texans often give long slow, drawn out descriptions that may not be immediately understood. In other words a New yorker will call a person a derogatory name while the Texan would say "W'all podner when y'all mosey back to the kennel tonight, may your mother bite your leg."

tango92
01-10-2010, 05:45 PM
personally im a big fan of slang. caus you can make up words as you go along

Ğħαrєєвαħ
01-10-2010, 06:53 PM
I spell it "Humour", because thats how its spelt around my area, geeked uP :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.