/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Helping your neighbours

glo
01-08-2010, 12:58 PM
With the icy roads and pavements here in the UK at the moment, remember the elderly or disabled in your neighbourhood.
Many will be marooned in their homes and unable to venture out, even for small trips.
For some, who rely on services such as Home Care and meals-on-wheels, those services may not be able to get to them reliably.

If you know of anybody who may be in that situation, and perhaps doesn't have family member who support them, why not knock on their door to see if they need any help or any shopping done for them?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Insaanah
01-08-2010, 01:26 PM
Thank you glo for this.

You're absolutely right, as its still completely slippery and dangerous for the elderly to go out. Our neighbours have rights over us, that we should look out for them at times like this, indeed at all times.

Thanks again for this reminder.

Peace. :)

Raaina
01-08-2010, 01:42 PM
You know actually I was thinking about this earlier. I was looking outside and thinking, there must be old people who can't go out in this, I hope they are ok. I wondered what I could do to help them. isn't there some charity or scheme I could join to help?

I don't think people around here would appricate people just knocking on your door. You'd probably be branded a nuisence. :(

glo
01-08-2010, 02:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mystical_moon
You know actually I was thinking about this earlier. I was looking outside and thinking, there must be old people who can't go out in this, I hope they are ok. I wondered what I could do to help them. isn't there some charity or scheme I could join to help?
I love walking and I have very good walking boots - but even then I found it very slippery in parts when I went out earlier.
When I worked on the orthopaedic wards in hospital we always had many fractured bones this time of year, especially broken wrists (from trying to protect yourself when you fall) and broken hips - and most commonly in the elderly.
Broken hips can be quite serious, and older people don't always recover from the operation!

There are agencies and charities to support the elderly at home - but what if they don't get to the people because of the poor weather and road conditions?
It is then left to local people to offer support.

I don't think people around here would appricate people just knocking on your door. You'd probably be branded a nuisence. :(
I know what you mean.
But how do you know whether people would appreciate it or not, unless you ask them?? :)
If you simply and politely ask if somebody needs some shopping done or the path cleared, I cannot see that many people would take offense.

Don't be put off by what people might say ... for all you know somebody might say "I am so glad you came. I really need some bread and milk ...!"

Perhaps just start with somebody who might at least know you by sight - so you won't be a complete stranger!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
sister herb
01-08-2010, 06:47 PM
Thank you glo sister to your kind idea.

:statisfie

I make just this to some old people around me. They don´t care that I am muslim wearing hijab but because I speak to them kindly and help them, they adore me as friend.

glo
01-08-2010, 07:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister harb
I make just this to some old people around me. They don´t care that I am muslim wearing hijab but because I speak to them kindly and help them, they adore me as friend.
Those people probably gain a greater understanding and appreciation of Islam by your kindness than if they were preached at. :statisfie

sister herb
01-08-2010, 07:39 PM
Thanks Glo. Same as you; people you might help see just your humanity. I think it is most important to show others in this life.

I like your avatar pic as warm light on darkness.

May Allah let me be like that for others.

Cabdullahi
01-08-2010, 08:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
With the icy roads and pavements here in the UK at the moment, remember the elderly or disabled in your neighbourhood.
Many will be marooned in their homes and unable to venture out, even for small trips.
For some, who rely on services such as Home Care and meals-on-wheels, those services may not be able to get to them reliably.

If you know of anybody who may be in that situation, and perhaps doesn't have family member who support them, why not knock on their door to see if they need any help or any shopping done for them?
It would be very hard for me,....... if i did what you say above then i would end up in jail.....No old lady will open the door from a guy who wears tracksuit bottoms and a hoodie unless she has parkinsons and she's looking for a repeat prescription of cannabis

Its never gonna happen

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.