/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Can strangers enable your webcam??

-Elle-
01-09-2010, 03:32 AM
:sl:

I once heard that strangers on the internet can enable your webcam from their computer! Of course it requires some sort of hacking or something, but I do remember it came from a reliable source,maybe a documentary or something, because it got stuck in my head.

At the time I didn't have one but now it's built into my new computer so it kinda freaks me out.

Does anyone know if this is actually possible?:phew

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Snowflake
01-09-2010, 03:43 AM
:sl: Yes it's possible. Even your mic can be hacked. Put a sticker over the lens :embarrass

and.. http://www.pcuser.com.au/pcuser/hs2....257393004592ED

Beardo
01-09-2010, 03:58 AM
Yeah. My friend was telling me (whose in the US) that his cousin (in dubai) turned on his camera just by using his IP address.

I get scared because both my lappies have a webcam on them. Though, the light turns on when the cam is on, unless they have a way to turn that off...

Vito
01-09-2010, 04:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
Yeah. My friend was telling me (whose in the US) that his cousin (in dubai) turned on his camera just by using his IP address.

I get scared because both my lappies have a webcam on them. Though, the light turns on when the cam is on, unless they have a way to turn that off...
There are cameras that are network based where it can be configured and monitored remotely. The basic webcams that are built into these laptops are no where near as advanced as those. If he controlled his friends webcam through an IP address, then he either has one of those cameras that support remote connectivity or he had remote access to his computer which can easily be disabled or more secured (whatever his case may be).

@houda~, yes the possibility is there but, I wouldn't be concerned about it to be honest. If it bothers you, you can always disable it whenever you aren't using it and re-enable it. And once your computer loses internet connectivity (shut down, sleep / hibernate mode / etc.) no one can do anything unless they were physically there.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
-Elle-
01-09-2010, 04:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scents of Jannah
:sl: Yes it's possible. Even your mic can be hacked. Put a sticker over the lens :embarrass

and.. http://www.pcuser.com.au/pcuser/hs2....257393004592ED
lol! seriously I think I might do that. I checked out the website, oh my Lord...I really hate webcams but most laptops have them built-in nowadays so I didn't really have a choice.:(

:|

@houda~, yes the possibility is there but, I wouldn't be concerned about it to be honest. If it bothers you, you can always disable it whenever you aren't using it and re-enable it. And once your computer loses internet connectivity (shut down, sleep / hibernate mode / etc.) no one can do anything unless they were physically there.
Well,when you wear hijab even 0.000001% possibility is enough to freak you out...i don't mean to be paranoid but I always had this question in the back of my mind,I never really cared though since I never wanted a webcam.

So I did disable it, but is that enough or should I completly remove the program from my computer? The camera itself will still be there though so I don't see the point in uninstalling the camera...

I think I need to go buy some stickers.lol

Alphadude
01-09-2010, 05:04 AM
Yes it's true.hackers can do that but If you have any viruses or anything on your computer it can let the other person spy on you.

Scanning your PC regularly can make a big difference but still consider turning the webcam off or unplugging it when not in use. Better to be safe than sorry.

Vito
01-09-2010, 05:10 AM
Yea you can disable it and even uninstall it completely if you aren't going to use it. I don't know what your using but you can do it from device manager.

Here is if you are using windows xp: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/window...essdmcmuxp.htm

Here is if you are using windows vista / 7 : http://pcsupport.about.com/od/window...pendmvista.htm

Once your in the device manager, you will have to click around to find the webcam. I'm not sure where those things are located. Once you find it, just right click on it and either hit disable or uninstall. If you decide to uninstall it, you will have to reinstall the drivers by either downloading it or from a cd if it came with one.

Alphadude
01-09-2010, 05:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by -Kai-
Yea you can disable it and even uninstall it completely if you aren't going to use it. I don't know what your using but you can do it from device manager.

Here is if you are using windows xp: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/window...essdmcmuxp.htm

Here is if you are using windows vista / 7 : http://pcsupport.about.com/od/window...pendmvista.htm

Once your in the device manager, you will have to click around to find the webcam. I'm not sure where those things are located. Once you find it, just right click on it and either hit disable or uninstall. If you decide to uninstall it, you will have to reinstall the drivers by either downloading it or from a cd if it came with one.
it does not matter if the hacker has access to you pc and infected your pc with a virus then u dont have the control they can turn it on

Afg
01-09-2010, 05:18 AM
I guess then covering the lens with something should do.

Vito
01-09-2010, 05:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by khalid84
it does not matter if the hacker has access to you pc and infected your pc with a virus then u dont have the control they can turn it on

They can't turn it on if it isn't installed. And most antivirus programs are enough to prevent these files from getting on your computer, even the free ones.

-Elle-
01-09-2010, 10:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by khalid84
yeah thats what I thought too..I regularly scan my computer, so I guess that's good.

They can't turn it on if it isn't installed. And most antivirus programs are enough to prevent these files from getting on your computer, even the free ones.
So if I uninstall it completly nothing to worry about? Maybe that's what I'll do then...I have an antivirus program,so insh'Allah that'll help.

Anyway, now I know that I wasn't completly wrong about webcams, I suggest others to take precaution also...:skeleton: creepy world out there. Sometimes I wonder if the Internet causes more harm or good. but that's another thread!

Alpha Dude
01-09-2010, 10:53 PM
Ever since I heard about hackers being able to gain access to webcams, I always used some masking tape to cover it up.

It felt as though I was being watched. :><:

Cabdullahi
01-09-2010, 10:56 PM
the 'ultimate hint' is found in the fact that every laptop has a cctv camera and now monitors are also being made with these cctvs

Allaah Knows
01-09-2010, 11:00 PM
:O SubhaanAllaah I didn't know this!

JazaakumuLlaahu khayr

-Elle-
01-09-2010, 11:00 PM
Ever since I heard about hackers being able to gain access to webcams, I always used some masking tape to cover it up.

good to know that im not the only one a bit paranoid:hmm:

But doesn't masking tape ruin the look of your laptop? isn't there anything else you can use...all I can think of is stickers,which aren't that better..

It felt as though I was being watched.

format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
the 'ultimate hint' is found in the fact that every laptop has a cctv camera and now monitors are also being made with these cctvs

what's cctvs??...

:O SubhaanAllaah I didn't know this!

JazaakumuLlaahu khayr
scary huh:skeleton:

Raaina
01-09-2010, 11:01 PM
:| ok this thread is worrying.

I've never heard of this before.

Cabdullahi
01-09-2010, 11:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by houda~
good to know that im not the only one a bit paranoid:hmm:

But doesn't masking tape ruin the look of your laptop? isn't there anything else you can use...all I can think of is stickers,which aren't that better..

It felt as though I was being watched.

what's cctvs??...

Alpha Dude
01-09-2010, 11:05 PM
Nahh it's ok. Just make a neat cut and place it over the cam. You don't notice it after a while. Besides, it's about getting use out of the laptop, not about how pretty it is. :hmm:

Replace the tape every so often (after wiping the plastic) so that no sticky marks are left over (not that there usually is).

Vito
01-09-2010, 11:10 PM

So if I uninstall it completly nothing to worry about? Maybe that's what I'll do then...I have an antivirus program,so insh'Allah that'll help.
Yea. No need to put tape or anything over it if you can't even use it in the first place.

-Elle-
01-09-2010, 11:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mystical_moon
:| ok this thread is worrying.

I've never heard of this before.

Worries me too sis..
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii

Oh God.:muddlehea

format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
Nahh it's ok. Just make a neat cut and place it over the cam. You don't notice it after a while. Besides, it's about getting use out of the laptop, not about how pretty it is. :hmm:

Replace the tape every so often (after wiping the plastic) so that no sticky marks are left over (not that there usually is).

Lol true, I guess because I just got it, I am concerned with it's aesthetics...but that's nothing compared to eliminating the risk of hackers (however minim a chance they might have) of seeing you...yikes.

Sticker it is then, jazak'Allah kheir all!

Supreme
01-09-2010, 11:58 PM
Crap, really? I actually had no idea of this. That's a sticker over my lense- I rarely ever use my webcam, only with close mates on msn. Does anyone know how to change the webcam settings BTW?

tw009
01-10-2010, 01:30 AM
wow, never heard of this, but its only people on msn who can view your webcam right? or is it anyone on the internet... I mean if its only accessed by people from msn then you don't need to worry so much I guess cause you would know what kinda people are on your list..

S_87
01-10-2010, 12:52 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8039207.stm

Alpha Dude
01-10-2010, 12:59 PM
That's scary. Makes you think twice about online banking. :><:

crayon
01-10-2010, 01:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani
:skeleton:

If we have an antivirus, wouldn't it alert us to any viruses on our computer? Or do some slip under the radar?

Vito
01-10-2010, 01:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
:skeleton:

If we have an antivirus, wouldn't it alert us to any viruses on our computer? Or do some slip under the radar?
Some are better than others but most are sufficient enough to prevent this from happening, especially if they are regularly updated. Its very possibly that the 'target' disabled his virus software for the sake of this video too.

In the end, I'd say most viruses make it to people's computers due to carelessness.

**Oh yea, to answer your other question, yes there are some that do but again, this isn't something that I wouldn't be concerned about. If people are smart enough to have made their own virus (instead of downloading one from some website, aka "script kiddies"), those types of people would generally go after a much bigger target such as a business or a corporation, not some home user to try and get control of his/her webcam. But again, most av programs do a good job of staying on top of this and of course, be smart about how you use the internet.

-Elle-
01-10-2010, 08:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani
Wow it can even affect your online banking, I always thought those were highly secure and virtually unaccessible...if you have that trojan on your computer, and your antivirus doesn't detect it, is there any other possible way of knowing that its there?

:ermm: I think this thread freaked me out even more than I was initially. Lol. Thanks -kai- for reassuring us, I guess the big lesson here is that it's possible, but if we take proper precautions it can be avoided...

and if you truly paranoid like me, put a sticker on your webcam lense :p

Cabdullahi
01-10-2010, 09:48 PM
Wow it can even affect your online banking, I always thought those were highly secure and virtually unaccessible...if you have that trojan on your computer, and your antivirus doesn't detect it, is there any other possible way of knowing that its there?

:ermm: I think this thread freaked me out even more than I was initially. Lol. Thanks -kai- for reassuring us, I guess the big lesson here is that it's possible, but if we take proper precautions it can be avoided...

You can deactivate it from the bios perhaps or uninstall the driver

Vito
01-10-2010, 10:16 PM

What you saw in the video is called keylogging, which basically records the keys you push. The banks security is independent from that. The information that is stored within the bank is pretty secured. Unfortunately the information you and the bank send between each other is not 100% safe though. Just for the sake of not going too off topic, I'll leave it at that.

The cyber world is a pretty scary place and there is nothing wrong with being paranoid. Being paranoid just means your more cautious which is a good thing.and maybe a little crazy, just a little. JK :hiding:

-Elle-
01-11-2010, 02:51 AM
wow, never heard of this, but its only people on msn who can view your webcam right? or is it anyone on the internet... I mean if its only accessed by people from msn then you don't need to worry so much I guess cause you would know what kinda people are on your list..
I believe it's when you use Internet generally, not just msn messenger...:ermm:

You can deactivate it from the bios perhaps or uninstall the driver
If one isn't going to use it at all, I believe this is the best solution.

format_quote Originally Posted by -Kai-
What you saw in the video is called keylogging, which basically records the keys you push. The banks security is independent from that. The information that is stored within the bank is pretty secured. Unfortunately the information you and the bank send between each other is not 100% safe though. Just for the sake of not going too off topic, I'll leave it at that.

The cyber world is a pretty scary place and there is nothing wrong with being paranoid. Being paranoid just means your more cautious which is a good thing.and maybe a little crazy, just a little. JK :hiding:
you sure know alot about this stuff..:skeleton:

haha kidding.;D

Jazak'Allah kheir for all the info it's good to be more aware of these things, you can never be too safe when using the net IMO, too many lunatics out there.

and for the record, i'm not as paranoid in the real world, although a bit crazy,yes,lol:)

Vito
01-11-2010, 03:55 AM
I probably don't know as much as you think I do. Believe it or not, a lot of this stuff is pretty basic.

syilla
01-11-2010, 08:27 AM
and tell me more on internet banking... :hmm:

there are hackers out there...whom you don't really know to what extend the genius they can be. If this hacker is a genius...there probably someone out there who is alot more genius than the other.

Alpha Dude
02-18-2010, 06:42 PM
http://www.boingboing.net/2010/02/17...d-student.html

Creepy.

crayon
02-22-2010, 05:44 PM
^^ Haha wow, one of my close friends went to that school & graduated from there last year.. Apparently sometimes the webcam light would just turn on, and you wouldn't be able to use the camera for other applications, because it would already be on. All her friends back home are raging over this thing, it's a huge issue. Which it should be of course- can't imagine how this could be legal.

Alpha Dude
02-22-2010, 05:56 PM
It's so creepy isn't it. What business do they have enabling it? What if a young boy/girl is getting changed?

crayon
02-22-2010, 06:09 PM
What began all this is that this kid was smoking pot while in front of his computer. They took a photo and presented him with it at school, and obviously he's like where did you get this from.. Apparently most of the kids that go to this school are well off, spoiled, with lawyers for parents.. so the school is quite screwed.

Alpha Dude
02-22-2010, 06:16 PM
The issue came to light when the Robbins's child was disciplined for "improper behavior in his home" and the Vice Principal used a photo taken by the webcam as evidence.
Why would the school want to discipline a child for what he does at home? What makes them feel they even have any say in the matter? I don't understand that, really. I think these teachers were incredibly silly.

cat eyes
02-22-2010, 06:21 PM
oh my gosh you can't even trust nothing online anymore :enough!::mmokay::grumbling:eek::nervous:

KittenLover
02-22-2010, 06:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
oh my gosh you can't even trust nothing online anymore :enough!::mmokay::grumbling:eek::nervous:
oh my gosh!! I know, stupid 21st century!! lets go back 200 years!!! come round mine sis I have time machine and we will go back!!

cat eyes
02-22-2010, 06:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by KittenLover
oh my gosh!! I know, stupid 21st century!! lets go back 200 years!!! come round mine sis I have time machine and we will go back!!
hahaha sis id love to go anywhere with u :embarrass but i dont know about going back 200years :hiding:

KittenLover
02-22-2010, 07:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
hahaha sis id love to go anywhere with u :embarrass but i dont know about going back 200years :hiding:

lol don't worry I have a this gadget that will make us invisible so no 1 will be able to see us there :) we'll go back 70 years then :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.