/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Sister reciting Qu'ran in sweet voice

AnonymousPoster
01-09-2010, 10:15 PM
I'm not sure if this thread goes here but, I was wondering when a sister is reciting quran in a sweet voice, is that her awrah?
I don't really lots of sisters reciting in public, is that why? is it wrong to do so in a room with a non mahran brother?
Jazakallah Khayrn
:sl:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Insaanah
01-10-2010, 09:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AnonymousGender
I'm not sure if this thread goes here but, I was wondering when a sister is reciting quran in a sweet voice, is that her awrah?
I don't really lots of sisters reciting in public, is that why? is it wrong to do so in a room with a non mahran brother?
Jazakallah Khayrn

You are correct that a Muslim woman should not recite the Qur'an aloud without necessity in the presence of non-Mahrams.

"O wives of the Prophet! You are not like any other women. If you keep your duty (to Allah) then be not not soft of speech lest he in whose heart is a disease (aspire to you), but utter customary speech. (Surah al-Ahzaab, ayah 32)

We are not allowed to talk in a manner that may cause someone's hearts to soften. Everybody loves to hear the Qur'aan being recited, so this verse applies there too.

Muslim women should only recite the Qur'an aloud in their homes only when non-mahrams are not present, or in sisters only study circles etc. For more info see below.

Allah knows best.

Insaanah
01-10-2010, 10:53 AM

Praise be to Allaah.

The woman’s voice is not ‘awrah in principle, for women used to complain to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and ask him about Islamic matters. They also did that with the Rightly-Guided Khaleefahs (may Allaah be pleased with them) and the rulers after them. And they would greet non-mahram men with salaams and return greetings, and none of the imams of Islam denounced them for that. But it is not permissible for a woman to speak in a soft or alluring voice, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O wives of the Prophet! You are not like any other women. If you keep your duty (to Allaah), then be not soft in speech, lest he in whose heart is a disease (of hypocrisy, or evil desire for adultery) should be moved with desire, but speak in an honourable manner”

[al-Ahzaab 33:32]

because men may be tempted by that, as is indicated by this aayah. And Allaah is the source of strength.

From Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah li’l-Buhooth al-‘Ilmiyyah wa’l-Iftaa, 6/83.

Also see this link re: women learning Qur'an memorisation from men: http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/83032/woman%20qur'aan

InshaAllah others will provide more information.

Allah knows best.

AnonymousPoster
01-10-2010, 10:23 PM
Jazakallah kharyn sister, I have learn a lot from the answers you have given me. =)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Snowflake
01-10-2010, 10:43 PM
:sl: Doesn't speech refer to vocabulary and not voice? Also the verse specifically mentions the wives of the Prophet, not daughters, which then could have applied to all women like the verses about hijab.

Insaanah
01-10-2010, 11:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scents of Jannah
:sl: Doesn't speech refer to vocabulary and not voice? Also the verse specifically mentions the wives of the Prophet, not daughters, which then could have applied to all women like the verses about hijab.

It applies to both vocabulary and speech.

But it is not permissible for a woman to speak in a soft or alluring voice,
So it's both what you say, and how you say it.

Yes, the verse specifically mentions the wives of the Prophet sallallaahu alaihi wa sallam. However, the purpose was to enforce reforms in all Muslim homes. The object of addressing the wives of the Prophet sallallaahu alaihi wa sallam, is that when a pure way of life will start from his house, it will be followed by the women of all other houses as well, because this house was looked upon by the Muslims as the model to follow. (The Meaning of the Qur'an, by S. Mawdudi)

Although the verse then says about the wives that "You are not like other women", this does not mean that the ruling applies only to the wives of the Prophet sallallaahu alaihi wa sallam.

If a man says to his children, "You are not like the common children of the street: you should not use abusive language." Would you conclude from that he only thinks it's bad for his own children to use such language, but it's fine if others do it? (The Meaning of the Qur'an, by S. Mawdudi)

That's just an example to illustrate how the verse applies to all Muslim women.

Allah knows best.

Snowflake
01-11-2010, 02:01 AM
But it is not permissible for a woman to speak in a soft or alluring voice

But reciting Quran is not speaking from oneself. It's Word of Allah. :statisfie

You can only 'allure' by saying dodgy stuff in a soft voice. That's totally different. So I'm not satisfied yet lol. :><:

Insaanah
01-11-2010, 10:32 AM
But reciting Quran is not speaking from oneself. It's Word of Allah. :statisfie:

Yes. But no distinction is made here as to what you are saying. If you think about it logically, when anyone hears beautiful Qur'an recitation, they say maashallah that was beautiful, he has such a great voice. Now imagine a sister reciting beautifully in front of men. The sisters will be thinking the recitation was just beautiful, she has such a nice voice etc.....so what will the men be thinking?

You can only 'allure' by saying dodgy stuff in a soft voice. That's totally different. So I'm not satisfied yet lol. :><:
Had that been the case, then women would have been allowed to give the adhaan for prayer in front of non-mahram men, as the adhaan is not remotely "dodgy". Or women would have been allowed to correct the imaam in the salaat by using their voices.

"There is no harm if the other man is spoken to in case of a genuine need, ........ There should be no undue softness in her tone, no allurement in her conversation, no consciously affected mellowness in her voice, which should excite the male hearer's emotions and encourage him to make advances....About such a manner of speech Allah clearly says that this does not behove a woman who has any fear of God in her heart and desire to avoid evil................. If this verse is read together with verse 31 of Surah An-Nur, in which Allah says: "They should not stamp the ground in walking lest their hidden decoration is revealed," the intention of the Lord clearly seems to be that the women should not attract other men by their voice or the jingle of their ornaments unnecessarily and if at all they have to speak to the other men, they should speak to them in an un-affected tone and manner. That is why it is forbidden for the woman to pronounce the call to the Prayer. Moreover, if a woman is attending a congregational Prayer and the Imam commits a mistake, she is not permitted to say Subhan-Allah like the males but should only tap her hands to call the imam's attention to the error.
(The meaning of the Qur'an, by S. Maududi)

He did not let women say Subhaan Allaah because they are commanded to lower their voices in prayer in all circumstances, because of the fear that their voices may cause fitnah (temptation).

If that is the case for the compulsory prayers then what about unncessary recitation of the Qur'an in front of non-mahram men?

I think you may have missed the second link I gave above. http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/83032/woman%20qur'aan Even for the noble purpose of memorising the Qur'an, you have to learn from a female teacher. If no female is avaialble, then there are certain conditions with which a male teacher may be used, including:

None of them should speak in a soft voice.
They should speak with the teacher only as much as is necessary.
The teacher should be elderly, married and known for righteousness and piety.

Jazaakillah for your question sister. I hope that's made it a bit clearer.

Allah knows best, and any errors are from me.

Snowflake
01-12-2010, 06:40 PM
:sl: Allah knows best. Jazaki Allahu khayr :)

cat eyes
01-12-2010, 07:20 PM
id honestly be to shy to recite Qur'an in front of a brother even if i had to :nervous: i find it hard enough to recite in a circle of sisters lol shyness can be annoying sometimes

Snowflake
01-12-2010, 09:25 PM
:sl: I'm just crazy about reciting Quran. If women were allowed I'd recite in public with loud speakers, on mountains tops, and have cd's made lol. I love it too much to feel shy about it.

Saying that, I don't see why i can't recite it on the top of a mountain if there's no men around. How amazing would that feel. WOW! :D:statisfie

cat eyes
01-12-2010, 11:34 PM
:sl: I'm just crazy about reciting Quran. If women were allowed I'd recite in public with loud speakers, on mountains tops, and have cd's made lol. I love it too much to feel shy about it.

Saying that, I don't see why i can't recite it on the top of a mountain if there's no men around. How amazing would that feel. WOW! :D:statisfie
the love of reciting the Qur'an or the love of beautifying ones voice so everyone can hear id be careful of that :) and always check your intention that your doing it for Allah and not for people. sometimes when muslims are reciting they spend more time thinking that is my voice nice for the people or is it nice for Allah. i think my shyness protects me in that sense.

abu_musab461
01-12-2010, 11:46 PM
i asked a shiekh once if its allowed to listen to a woman reciting Quran cos i found a beautiful recitation of a sister from Palestine on youtube, as you can imagine i got cussed by the shiekh.

He said is there a shortage of male reciters that you have to resort to female ones? lol

It opens the door to fithna

cat eyes
01-12-2010, 11:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by abu_musab461
i asked a shiekh once if its allowed to listen to a woman reciting Quran cos i found a beautiful recitation of a sister from Palestine on youtube, as you can imagine i got cussed by the shiekh.

He said is there a shortage of male reciters that you have to resort to female ones? lol

haha of course it dose :) but a males voice is just as attractive :giggling: so i wonder what he would say about that

abu_musab461
01-12-2010, 11:53 PM
lower you voice? (instead of lowering your gaze)

Snowflake
01-13-2010, 12:13 AM
cat eyes: the love of reciting the Qur'an or the love of beautifying ones voice so everyone can hear
If it was so everyone can hear my voice then I'd just sing normal songs wouldn't I? :rolleyes:

LOL ;D

abu_musab461
01-13-2010, 12:17 AM
you should have seen my face when the shiekh cussed me.

cat eyes
01-13-2010, 12:27 AM
you should have seen my face when the shiekh cussed me.
LOL i can imagine ;D

Hamza Asadullah
01-13-2010, 12:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
the love of reciting the Qur'an or the love of beautifying ones voice so everyone can hear id be careful of that :) and always check your intention that your doing it for Allah and not for people. sometimes when muslims are reciting they spend more time thinking that is my voice nice for the people or is it nice for Allah. i think my shyness protects me in that sense.

Your correct sister because there will be many on the day of judgement who when Allah will ask them of their intentions for doing certain acts they will say they done it for Allah but Allah will say you lie you done it for show and for pride.

So one has to be very careful about boastful recitation in front of others and the same goes for good deeds. The best good deeds are when it is just you and Allah and no one else knows about the good that you do.

:wa:

Sawdah
01-13-2010, 03:12 AM
Wow, I've learn a lot from your posts guys, jazakallah khayrn for posting.
So, what I understand is that a sister should not recite in a sweet voice in the presence of a non mahram man. Also, that if she wants to recite beautifully, then she should do it for the sake of Allah swt. :statisfie

Alhamdulillah, that sounds clear to me now.

Jazakallah Khair. :)
(yes, it was I, the anonymous thread starter :p )

(btw, the anonymous post below is not me.)

AnonymousPoster
01-13-2010, 03:14 AM
is a sister allowed to go to a male sheikh/treacher for tajweed help?

Insaanah
01-13-2010, 09:01 PM

I don't know the definitive answer, but tajweed involves a lot of regular one to one contact with the teacher, (who would be a non-mahram man) and you have to recite it nice and proper, thus beautifying your voice.

On top of that, a sister alone with a non-mahram male is definitely not allowed.

“No man is alone with a (non-mahram) woman, but Shaytaan will be the third among them.” (Reported by al-Tirmidhi, 3/474; see also Mishkaat al-Masaabeeh, 3118).

This whole situation could lead to more harm than good.

There are female tajweed teachers around. Try to find one, inshaAllah.

Allah knows best.

Banu_Hashim
01-13-2010, 09:18 PM
Are women allowed to correct the Imam by any means e.g. clapping. I think I heard something like this, but it might have been something related to something completely different. :hmm:

Insaanah
01-13-2010, 10:18 PM
The answer to that is on page 1 of the thread, If you're asking how they are allowed to correct the imam.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.