/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Flying and praying

Amanda
01-10-2010, 01:14 PM
Assalamu alaikum,

Just wondering, what are you supposed to do if you are flying during the time to do salat? But, not just a short flight, one that would be 15 hours, and would take you back in time about 13 hours. Would you pray by the time of where you left from, or would you just pray when you arrive, since it would probably still be okay local time? Or do you do it twice? Also, what about when you fly back the other direction, and you actually lose 12 or 13 hours of your day, when do you pray then? Just because I'm hoping to fly to Canada, and am wondering what to do.

Thanks!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
S_87
01-10-2010, 01:44 PM
pray at time approximation like if where youre at the sun is just setting then its magrib time, pray maghrib.
to qibla, well its pretty much guess, now since planes have that tracker thing you can pretty much extimate which way is makkah and pray towards there. ive found the air hosts/hostesses are very accommodating alhumdulillah and let you pray in the back no problem (cant say for every airline but the ones ive tried have been fine)

tw009
01-10-2010, 06:26 PM
If you will be staying in Canada for 15 days or less, then you will be considered a Musafir (traveler) and you can perform Qasr. Zohar, Asr and Isha are shortened to 2 Rakats from 4 Rakats and Fajr and Maghrib remain the same. You are also allowed to combine prayers.

Amanda
01-11-2010, 07:06 AM
Thanks... but what about the time difference? When I basically live 12 hours twice going one way, do I pray twice? And what about when I lose 12 hours? How do I make those up?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
syilla
01-11-2010, 07:13 AM
^^^ ukhtee which flight are you using.

Amanda
01-11-2010, 07:21 AM
It's not booked yet as we are waiting on visa stuff... but insha'allah we will fly from HK to Toronto... and there is a 12 hour time difference, and it's about a 15 hour flight. It's so confusing, and the time difference thing really messes with my head, and then even trying to understand when to pray is more than I can figure out. :(

Danah
01-11-2010, 07:22 AM
:sl:

check this out sis, you may get what you want.

http://islamqa.com/en/ref/82536

syilla
01-11-2010, 07:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amanda
It's not booked yet as we are waiting on visa stuff... but insha'allah we will fly from HK to Toronto... and there is a 12 hour time difference, and it's about a 15 hour flight. It's so confusing, and the time difference thing really messes with my head, and then even trying to understand when to pray is more than I can figure out. :(
aww... don't worry. :)

http://www.islam.ca/answers.php?id=644
I will be traveling and the airplane flight will be 17 hours long. I will be on the plane at zuhr time (i.e. I will be leaving at zuhr time) Since I will be crossing over different time zones and the flight is very long, I am confused about exactly when i am supposed to pray. Do I just go by the time of where I am leaving from? Or do I leave a certain amount of time between each combined/shortened prayer?
Question number: 644
Date posted: 2004-06-15
Answer:
In this case the most practical thing to do is to follow the timings of your point of departure until such time that you have arrived at your final destination if you are not stopping over in between. If, however, you are stopping over at a third point, then while you are there you should follow the local timings and continue to follow the same until you have arrived at your final destination.

Let me illustrate this as follows: Suppose you are flying to India or any point in the Middle East such as Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, etc, via London or Paris, you should follow the timings of Toronto until you have landed in London or Paris; from that point onwards until you have arrived at your destination, follow the timings of London or Paris. What I normally do in this case is I would pray both zuhr and asr at home combined (assuming I am starting at the time of zuhr); then pray both maghrib and isha in the flight; both of them as jam' and qasr; then finally I would pray my fajr in the flight before landing in London. While in London I would pray my zuhr and asr as jam' and qasr; I would do the same with Magrhib and Isha, etc., etc., until I have landed.

If, on the other hand, there is no stopping anywhere since it is a non-stop flight of seventeen hours then you should simply follow the timings of Toronto until you have landed in your final destination.

You need not confuse yourself or be overly concerned about some mix-up in timings due to divergent time zones. It is a source of great relief for us to know that Islam is a simple and natural religion; we are required only to do what we can do in a given situation according to our best means. The Prophet, peace be upon him, said, "Remain conscious of Allah, according to the best of your ability."

http://www.albalagh.net/qa/traveler_salat.shtml
http://www.ahlalhdeeth.com/vbe/showthread.php?p=32021
http://infad.usim.edu.my/modules.php...ticle&sid=5199

Amanda
01-11-2010, 07:54 AM
Thanks for all the help. :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.