/* */

PDA

View Full Version : My interest in Islam.

Italianguy
01-10-2010, 04:08 PM
This was the first time I think I have been asked this question, so i thought I would explain a little bit. Thanks for reading.

Originally Posted by tw009
LOL, wow Italianguy, you have probably seen more Indian movies then I have and some of these movies I have never heard of! :\

btw, how did you get interested in Islam? are your in-laws Muslims?

Actually no, they are all devout Christians. Ummmmm.....How I got interested in Islam??......well....it has always intrigued me because of the orthodox style in which it has been practiced, I am a very conservative Christian, that came from a Roman Catholic family. I am protestant now because i don't follow how the ortodox and Catholic churches believe that preists can forgive your sins so to speak, like confession or the like. So if you take away those plus the fact of some other atributes, that leaves me at being a protestant.

Now, I also don't like the protestant veiw as much because of how lax they are, and how they are trying to tend to the younger generation of Christians by allowing people to come to church in ripped jeans, hats on their heads and women with no cover on their headsimsad as well as some of the ways they interpret the Bible in a way not allowed. My wife alsways covers her head at church as welll as in prayer......always. We have ben asked before at every chusrch we go to "Are you Muslims visiting our church" sometimes by people in a church we have been attending for a year!:p Plus we pray a little diferent than they do, ..I will hold my hands very similar to how how a Muslim does when you pray, and when I can i will kneel down on the floor in prostrate and......well.. basicaly i look like a Muslim praying:hmm: according to others.

I guess the only big difference is that I believe Jesus Christ to be my Lord and Savior. I don't think that will ever change.

I guess I got interested in Islam because it is really closer to Christianity than most think, even closer than Judism for the most part. I have ben studying Islam for 2 years and have bought over 16 books about Islam and I am reading the Qur'an as well (yes it's the right one) I have been learning a little Arabic and am considering taking an Arabic language class at the university i attend as well i am trying to learn more Hindi, Tamil and Aramaic. I am also a student at a large Christian university, and I have to take a certain amount of Christian appologetics and theology, study classes as part of my undergrad. My focus in those classes was Islam and i had to write a 18 page paper on Islam.:phew:exhausted

My professor told us to do an in-depth study.....and I just ran with it!:D

I hope that helps a little bit? Sorry I rambled on so long, but there is no short answer to that question.:D There is more but I don't want to bore, or bother anyone here.

God be with you...all of you.:D

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
01-10-2010, 05:11 PM
Hey I didn't think it was boring! More like interesting :)
Tell us more! lol

Peace

tw009
01-10-2010, 05:26 PM
ooh wow, I thought someone close to you maybe a Muslim that got you interested in Islam... and yes I would love to hear more!!

Danah
01-10-2010, 05:45 PM
Interesting I.G

Everytime I came across such posts of you about your way of life I always think of the old Christianity that had been practiced (ex:modesty in clothing and such) before all those modernists came with their own laws and ideas.

Thanks for sharing though.

Best of luck

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Italianguy
01-10-2010, 05:52 PM
Oh boy.......what did I start now.lol

Okay I will post the whole thing but it will take me a little time.:D

Islam has always interested me. We as afamily have always been around the nicest Muslims one would ever meet. When i was a child I remember my Nonna wearing a cover on her head in church(well she always wore one in public) but anyway i thought our familys Muslim friends must have just forgot to take their Hijabs off after mass.lol;D(no they didn't go to church)..... I didn't realize what Muslims were.:D

Islam was also enticing because i have always been interested in A faith as devout as my Christian friends and family. We never had to many Jewish friends(they didn't like us wop's)sorry thats what they called usimsad. So we had a few Muslim family's living in my Nonnas building, in NY City.

None of us ever closed our doors in the building including them. So I would see my friends praying with their parents(as Muslims do) and my brother and I would wait patiently at the door for them to be done......They would usually just tell us to go in the kitchen and get a sweet:D ....I don't remember what they were called but they were AWESOME!!!:D So after they were done praying, their mother would pinch me on the cheek say something in Arabic(I think) and smile:D Then tell us to go outside and play.

Sorry for rambling:hmm: I'm just going down memory lane:cry::D

I sometimes wondered why there were 2 religions....I was 6 give me a brake....I thought there was only Christianity and those other Christians who prayed to Allah.;D No offense intended.

I have to go out for a little while i will continue in a couple of hours sorrry:p

tw009
01-10-2010, 06:16 PM
lol my next question was going to be How did you 'discover' Islam but you kinda answered it. I really enjoy listening/reading about how non-Muslims think of Islam and I get so curious to know about how they discovered it, cause many non-Muslims have a really bad impression of Islam today. : (

...continue with your story! :D

Ğħαrєєвαħ
01-10-2010, 06:40 PM
You didnt bore, i wanted to read more lol, more of your views about Islaam maybe etc.
But its quite interesting to read., Please continue if you can Insha`Allaah ....

Italianguy
01-10-2010, 09:14 PM
ok sorry, I am back. Had to take my wife grocery shopping;D and if you knew her, she can't stop looking at every stroller to see how cute the baby is;D

Any way. My interest of Islam has lead me here, and to some other forums. It's to hard to outwardly show a general interest in any other faith when trying to do so with those whom don't know or don't believe others have a right to believe what they believe. I have learned a lot more than i thought i would about Islam and i's adherents...Muslims.

For the most part my experience with my Muslim friends has been....good to say the least.:D Most have been very inviting and understanding of my....constant annoying questions;D and haven't lost their patience with me as of yet....well, maybe a couple of times:p

Then i said to myself......"self.....why don't you join an internet community of Muslims" and ask more questions to get a better understanding of Islams veiws and beliefs. So far everyone has been extremely nice to me, and more than willing to answer and or tolerate me and my questioning;D

I have a newfound belief that Islam is a peaceful religion and as are it's followers. I also have a better understanding about my own faith and why and how some of my fellow Christians veiw Islam.

I do bring at least one thing to them from my knowledge of Islam...that being, we as Christians can learn allot from the devotion that Muslims have towards God.

Some of us as Christians have frogotten why we are here and how and Who brought us here, Who created us, Who forgives us, and Who we are to live for and owe all the glory to.

I think that all of us at times have been too involved in our own lives to stop and truly give God his glory and pray and thank Him for all He has done, and realise we wold be nothing nor have anything without Him. Ameen

I hope this gives a little insight into my being here. And helps explain my interest in Islam. :D I'm not sure how many here may percieve me or my intentions. But i will say this.

I dream of a day when we can all be brothers and sisters in humanity wih the only goal being, to give God his glory, to live in peace together as believers. This dream may never be realised, but i feel i must do my part in helping others to believe, and to give those whom may veiw Islam as negative or oppresive a newfound respect for it's followers.

God be we us.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
01-10-2010, 09:22 PM
lOL at your wife looking at the cute babies MashaAllaah.
wow , its really an honour to read your story and your views and opinions on Islaam.
I hope that the dream comes true Indeed.
Its not common to hear a Christian speaking soo kindly and respectively about Islam in the present time..
And have fun learning more about Islaam.

aadil77
01-10-2010, 09:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Italianguy
I dream of a day when we can all be brothers and sisters in humanity wih the only goal being, to give God his glory, to live in peace together as believers. This dream may never be realised, but i feel i must do my part in helping others to believe, and to give those whom may veiw Islam as negative or oppresive a newfound respect for it's followers.

God be we us.
Thats really interesting italianguy.

Actually according to our beliefs there will be a period like that, it will be after prophet Isa (Jesus) descends

The Holy Prophet Muhammad(p) has prophesied about several events that will occur just before the advent of the day of judgment. Among these, Muhammad(p) has foretold the return of Jesus(p), which will materialize when a one eyed claimant to divinity (Antichrist) will attempt to misguide the humanity into worshipping him. Messiah will descend from the heavens in Damascus, pray behind Imam Mahdi, pursue and kill the Antichrist, destroy the savage and unbelieving armies of Gog and Magog, and bring peace and brotherhood to the world. Christians will recognize the truth and accept him only as a Messenger of God; the religion of God (Islam) will justly rule the world.
There will be no oppression and no need to fight oppressors (war will be abolished) and no need to collect Jizyah (since there will be no non-Muslim people of the Book to collect this tax from). Every human being will be well-off and no one will accept charity. Messiah will perform Hajj (pilgrimage), marry, remain married for 19 years, beget children, and die after living on earth for 40 years. His death will signal the beginning of the last days

Italianguy
01-10-2010, 09:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim World 12
lOL at your wife looking at the cute babies MashaAllaah.
wow , its really an honour to read your story and your views and opinions on Islaam.
I hope that the dream comes true Indeed.
Its not common to hear a Christian speaking soo kindly and respectively about Islam in the present time..
And have fun learning more about Islaam.
OMG, she makes a 10 minute shopping trip last an hour:hmm: If she see's a baby she has to run over and play with them the whollllllllllllllleeeee time. I usually have to do the shopping.......she also gets lost in the stores looking for stuff;D;D ....all i hear usually is Ennodu va!!! Ennodu va! (come with me) or "where are you hubby";D;D in Tamil (i can't spell that one yet)lol Actually ......everyone hears her, she gets lost from me and starts getting nervous and yelling to me;D

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
01-10-2010, 09:53 PM
Lol mashaAllah...i wuld ask u to say more but i dont wana fry ur brain and fingas LOL.

I think u shuld join the Ummah :p

Italianguy
01-10-2010, 10:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Light of Heaven
Lol mashaAllah...i wuld ask u to say more but i dont wana fry ur brain and fingas LOL.

I think u shuld join the Ummah :p
I don't mind, I am just trying not to bore anyone;D My wife says i talk to much sometimes:hmm:

What is the Ummah?

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
01-10-2010, 10:06 PM
Muslim nation...i.e. be a part of us :D

Btw, it's not boring. I'm quite bored at the moment so this is helping lol.

Italianguy
01-10-2010, 10:08 PM
Muslim nation...i.e. be a part of us :D

Btw, it's not boring. I'm quite bored at the moment so this is helping lol.
lol, I am glad it is entertaining.

tw009
01-10-2010, 10:12 PM
haha @ your wife looking at the babies. . .I do that all the time

I have another question, is your wife also interested in Islam? Does she mind when you talk about Islam?

lol I hope you don't get annoyed of my random questions.

Italianguy
01-10-2010, 10:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tw009
haha @ your wife looking at the babies. . .I do that all the time

I have another question, is your wife also interested in Islam? Does she mind when you talk about Islam?

lol I hope you don't get annoyed of my random questions.

No she is not, she is a devout Christian, but she has many Muslim friends(keep in mind she is from India) so she knows many Muslims. She is very good to everybody and has no bad preconceived notions of Islam. She is very understanding of everyones faiths.....she roomed with 2 Muslims and a Hindu all throughout college and has kept a good friendship with them.

She doesn't mind at all, my study of Islam...as long as i don't stay on the computer all day;D and not give her attentionimsad

Don't ever think I get annoyed at answering questions, I will answer every question i get with a smile:D :Don my face:D

There is no such thing as a bad question just a bad answer:D

Italianguy
01-11-2010, 03:11 AM
Oh yeah, I have seen tons and tons of Hindi movies, I watch them all the time:D
I am still looking for that movie "The Message".

Ğħαrєєвαħ
01-11-2010, 03:18 PM
Oh yeah, I have seen tons and tons of Hindi movies, I watch them all the time:D
I am still looking for that movie "The Message".
Aslaamu alaaykum...
Here is a link to part 1 of the movie "The message", the other parts will be under the side bar thing ,if your not able to find them, please let me know ill try post them Insha`Allaah..
Hope this helps :)

Wa alaaykum salaam

Asiyah3
01-11-2010, 04:10 PM
One thing I like about you is that you undrestand modesty and respect it :statisfie It was and is interesting reading about your views and beliefs.
The people I've seen since I've live in the west are all like "Nakedness is natural".

I guess the only big difference is that I believe Jesus Christ to be my Lord and Savior. I don't think that will ever change.

So then you believe that Jesus (peace be upon him) created you? (I hope my question doesn't sound disrispectful, just asking about your beliefs :p )

gabkat
01-11-2010, 04:24 PM
Nice to read this entry! Well I am also a Christian married with Muslim husband. I would like to convert to Islam, but I am still waiting....I dont want to do it just to make my husban happy :) Its difficult to "put" Jesus to "another role"- if i can say it like this- or to explain my mother who is always telling me, we have to die in the religion we born :( so I would appriciate for some help....
But I agree, and I wish, Inshaa Allah
"a day when we can all be brothers and sisters in humanity wih the only goal being, to give God his glory, to live in peace together as believers. This dream may never be realised, but i feel i must do my part in helping others to believe, and to give those whom may veiw Islam as negative or oppresive a newfound respect for it's followers."

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
01-11-2010, 04:49 PM
You can find the movie on youtube or www.kalamullah.com ...under videos.

Italianguy
01-11-2010, 06:46 PM
You can find the movie on youtube or www.kalamullah.com ...under videos.
Thanks, I found it on youtube and watched a small portion of it. I don't have time while i'm at work and it's hard to watch it on an iphone;D

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
01-11-2010, 08:13 PM
lol you're welcome and yes it's a bit difficult :p. I can't hold it forever :s

aadil77
01-11-2010, 08:26 PM
I think italianguy has become an Li addict :shade:, online here as much as I am

Italianguy
01-12-2010, 12:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by _muslim_
One thing I like about you is that you undrestand modesty and respect it :statisfie It was and is interesting reading about your views and beliefs.
The people I've seen since I've live in the west are all like "Nakedness is natural".

So then you believe that Jesus (peace be upon him) created you? (I hope my question doesn't sound disrispectful, just asking about your beliefs :p )
I can never be offended:D I appreciate all questions:D:D

I believe as it says in my Bible that Christ was there with Allah in the begining(creation) Not like side by side, but as a part of God. I believe He died to forgive us of our sins. And I owe my life to Him. His teachings and commands are what I try.....emphasis on TRY. I do believe in the Trinity, and I understand how that is hard for many to understand, and that it is against your beliefs to put Jesus with God. So i hope that doesn't offend you:D

Now.....I will say this. I have been disgusted with how my fellow Christians have turned Jesus into a .....good luck charm and Allah as someone to pray too only when they need something. It is an otrosity to see some of what the Protestant Christians are doing now to gain young peoples attention to Christ:heated: And by NO MEANS am i a saint...but I try really hard:phew I try to obey every thing I read in the Bible, and pray .....all day pretyy much, I understand thats hard to grasp so i will explain my day....just so you get an idea of how myself and my wife live as Christians.

Dawn, or at least by 4:30 am every morning myself and my wife get up and pray until at least 5:30 am (usually after my wife has beaten me enough to wake me up.;D) just kidding. Then I usually go off to work and she starts cooking.....as if you haven't noticed yet, thats all she does beside hang out with Zainab now;D. At lunch time usualy around 11:30 am till about 12:30 I am in my office with door shut and in prostrate on the floor praying, Then i get home and my wife is usually behind the curtain by the foyer looking out the window waiting for me....thats such a good feeling. Then we pray again for about 30 minutes just to stop and thank God for everything in our day.......Then my wife tells me about all the girl talk stuff fro about 2 hours;D you know....stuff(she is usually alone so i have to be the other...ummm girl for girl talk,.... but THANK GOD for ZAINAB!!) We pray again before we eat and then again before bed. Before bed we will read a couple of verses in the Bible, these verses are verses i or she (we take turns) have found to relate to stuff going on in our life. We of course always pray before we eat anything....even if we just have a snack or glass of water..........And thats just monday! Also add that my wife and I volenteer a the Church We watch and teach the 3 year olds:DTheir class is called "Wee World";D. I also volunteer time for other projects at the church and we both attend 2 different Bible study groups each!

And somehow i find alot of time to be on IB;D;D

Italianguy
01-15-2010, 03:29 AM
Excuse me i meant LI;D

sister herb
01-15-2010, 05:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by gabkat
Nice to read this entry! Well I am also a Christian married with Muslim husband. I would like to convert to Islam, but I am still waiting....I dont want to do it just to make my husban happy :) Its difficult to "put" Jesus to "another role"- if i can say it like this- or to explain my mother who is always telling me, we have to die in the religion we born :( so I would appriciate for some help....
Peace with you;

Shortly to say; by Islamic view every person born as muslim - our family then may raise and teach us to some other religions or to be disbeliever. As muslims sometimes say; we return to Islam when we convert. So when you die and be muslim then you really "die in the religion you have born".

:statisfie

Ramadhan
01-15-2010, 08:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by gabkat
I understand that changing lifelong belief in such dramatic and fundamental way is very very hard.
But it is important to remember that the change will actually put everything right.
You will acknowledge Allah SWT and submit yourself to Allah SWT, the absolut and the eternal, the one who is neither begets nor begotten.
You will finally pay a lot more respect to the prophet Jesus pbuh and will actually follow his true teachings.
As a muslim, your lifestyle will actually be closer and similar to the life of prophet Jesus pbuh, because Islam that was brought by the prophet Muhammad SAW confirms the message brought by prophet Jesus pbuh.

However, as I was born in a muslim family, I do feel that I don't entirely understand your difficulties, and I think you will get much better help from other sisters and brothers reverts in these forums.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.